First game with swearing was made by Nintendo?!?!?

Yup, you heard it right -- the first game with swearing was made by Nintendo!

It's an arcade game from 1981 called Sky Skipper. In it you fly a bi-plane bombing gorillas that look somewhat like Donkey Kong. There is a video here: http://youtu.be/_hG6Z-kHw9I

Look at 2:54... The gorilla is behind bars, saying "D*** it, I'll escape!"

Well, what do you think of that?

That's considered a swear word?

Maybe now it's not offensive to most people but in '81 people were quite a bit less tolerant to that. Especially since a lot of young kids were playing the game. The point is that Nintendo would never do this in their games now (maybe there are some exceptions, but probably not games targeted at young kids).

In Punch-Out!! 2009, Bald Bull repeatedly says "damn". It's in Turkish, but it's still cussing.
Also, Great Tiger tells Little Mac to suck on his mom's teat.

There's also Pokémon and Animal Crossing, where you can make the npcs swear.

Then there's Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Mario: Oh that's all right, I don't give a *coin noise*.

Said by Mario's voice actor himself.

Magikrazy said:
Then there's Conker's Bad Fur Day.

It broke every Nintendo law there was

Their reaction was like

"...uh microsoft what whazzat with the corporate takeover?"

Seto Kaiba said:
Dr. John H. Watson said:
Seto Kaiba said:
My opinion, if you can say it on TV and have it not get bleeped out, then it is not a swear word.

>Bleeped out

heh silly foreign tv
I guess *by American standards. Cause American censorship is freaking stupid, especially with anything from Japan.

Well yeah Germany is more chill with TV

However they are much more bullshitting with games so I guess it evens out a bit.

Dr. John H. Watson said:
Seto Kaiba said:
My opinion, if you can say it on TV and have it not get bleeped out, then it is not a swear word.

>Bleeped out

heh silly foreign tv

I'm not sure I follow your post.

The practice of bleeping certain words out is used in German TV too. Or at least it used to. I distinctly remember swear words being censored this way during the day program. And considering that back then the midday and afternoon program was dominated by trashy talk shows, it happened quite frequently. <_>

Gabumon said:
I'm not sure I follow your post.

The practice of bleeping certain words out is used in German TV too. Or at least it used to. I distinctly remember swear words being censored this way during the day program. And considering that back then the midday and afternoon program was dominated by trashy talk shows, it happened quite frequently. <_>

Na ja also Ich finde schon dass das hierzulande lockerer ist als z.B. in den USA.

Möglich, aber ich schaue nicht sehr oft amerikanisches Fernsehen, hab also keine ausreichenden Vergleichsmöglichkeiten.

Andererseits hab ich generell seit Jahren den Fernseher schon nicht mehr eingeschaltet, da heutzutage sowieso fast alles nur mist ist. Ich weiß also nicht, was heute so der aktuelle Stand im Bezug auf Schimpfwörter ist.

From Google Translate:

FW: Well so I do think that this country is looser than eg in the United States.

Edo: Possibly, but I do not look very often American television, so did not have sufficient opportunities for comparison.

On the other hand, I'm generally not already turned on the TV, since nowadays almost everything is just crap anyway for years. So I do not know what is the current status in terms of swear words today.

Seto Kaiba said:
From Google Translate:

FW: Well so I do think that this country is looser than eg in the United States.

Edo: Possibly, but I do not look very often American television, so did not have sufficient opportunities for comparison.

On the other hand, I'm generally not already turned on the TV, since nowadays almost everything is just crap anyway for years. So I do not know what is the current status in terms of swear words today.
Yeah, generally I'm not turned on by tv's either, edo.

Olivia said:
what are you guys even saying

NONE OF UR BUSINESS :O

Gabumon said:
Andererseits hab ich generell seit Jahren den Fernseher schon nicht mehr eingeschaltet, da heutzutage sowieso fast alles nur mist ist.

Gut erkannt (mit einigen Ausnahmen natürlich).

Olivia said:
what are you guys even saying

Dr. John H. Watson said:
Oh well. I also think that this country is looser than the USA in example.
Gabumon said:
Possible, but I don't watch American television very often, so I don't have very sufficient possibilities to compare.

On the other hand, I haven't generally turned on the TV for years, as almost everything is just crap. I also don't know how the current view on cursing is.
Dr. John H. Watson said:
Good point (with some exceptions of course).

Lakituthequick said:
Actually I know how to use Google Translate and actually put words in the right order.

And a small bit of German knowledge did help a bit.

Damn ltq knows his google translate bc that was pretty accurate.

Seto Kaiba said:

Often time the words Ass and Bitch are not censored, and yet they are most certainly swear words. It's just the meaning of the word is not.

And yes, I think that Damn can be considered one, but one that is more acceptable. I know I've gotten yelled at by some teachers when I said Damn by accident.

Back