The Mario appreciation thread.

Gabumon said:
Maᴙio said:
Gabumon said:
"Aren't I done yet??"

"There's MORE!?!"

"ANOTHER door!?!"

Those are amazing. Why didn't they use them?
This is why Mario should talk.

Mario also has this drunk-sounding laughter too.

Wa-ha-hoo-huuuuuueggh.

I would actually love it if they allowed Martinet to turn Mario into a character who tries to remain jovial but can't help but questions all the bull*bleep* he encounters or has to live through.

Shame Miyamoto would never allow it, but one can dream.
I would love that.

Mario also says, "Hello, door..." :P

Gabumon said:
Miyamoto isn't just "a developer". He is the creator of Mario and, to my understanding, he wields tremendous influence over a significant amount of things the company does.

I think it is pretty safe to say that if Miyamoto says Mario is not to say anything besides "yahoo" and "wahaa", then that and nothing else is what Mario will say until hell freezes over.

But Miyamoto isn't really heavily involved in Mario games anymore. Mario is the company mascot, if they wanted to change him thats something only the highest people in the company can decide.

Disney is the same way with Mickey Mouse.

Mcmadness said:
Gabumon said:
Miyamoto isn't just "a developer". He is the creator of Mario and, to my understanding, he wields tremendous influence over a significant amount of things the company does.

I think it is pretty safe to say that if Miyamoto says Mario is not to say anything besides "yahoo" and "wahaa", then that and nothing else is what Mario will say until hell freezes over.

But Miyamoto isn't really heavily involved in Mario games anymore.
Didn't he single handedly change Sticker Star to be more like a platformer and less like the traditional Paper Mario games?

GalacticPetey said:
Mcmadness said:
Gabumon said:

Didn't he single handedly change Sticker Star to be more like a platformer and less like the traditional Paper Mario games?
Didn't they say that Miyamoto is more involved this time, though?

GalacticPetey said:
Mcmadness said:
Gabumon said:

Thats nowhere near the level of changing the mascot of a company.

Also he only requested they only use pre-existing characters and less emphasis on plot, the rest was all IS doing.

You know, I think you're misinterpreting what I say, because the way you're talking, you seem to think I'm suggesting Miyamoto wants to change Mario.

The opposite is in fact the case. I'm saying in this hypothetical scenario he is vetoing changes to be made to Mario.

Like, am I to infer from all of this that Miyamoto's word would not carry any weight in such a discussion at all? Because that sounds kind of ridiculous.

I know what your saying. What I'm saying is that ultimately thats not his decision.

Of course it does. Its corporate.

Well then, regardless of who exactly made it their life goal to keep Mario devoid of everything that could accidentally make children think, they would not allow happy but slightly snarky Mario to happen.

I know, and its really quite a shame.

Mcmadness said:
Also he only requested they only use pre-existing mainline characters and less emphasis on plot
Fixed for clarity. And those are the reasons Sticker Star sucked ass. I want my original characters and serious plot.

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS said:
Mcmadness said:
Also he only requested they only use pre-existing mainline characters and less emphasis on plot
Fixed for clarity. And those are the reasons Sticker Star sucked ass. I want my original characters and serious plot.

Snifits and Ninji's aren't exactly mainline characters. There is nothing that says they had to be mainline characters.

Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:

Snifits and Ninji's aren't exactly mainline characters. There is nothing that says they had to be mainline characters.
iirc they first appeared in mainline games, therefore they count

Gabumon said:
Well then, regardless of who exactly made it their life goal to keep Mario devoid of everything that could accidentally make children think, they would not allow happy but slightly snarky Mario to happen.
This Mario is exactly what we need.

Silent blank slates should NOT be tolerated nowadays, as more people like characters with a good personality, moreso than silent protagonists. I know I do. There is the issue of a personality done incorrectly, but Nintendo is capable of making a likeable character. Just let Charles Martinet mold Mario, and Mario will be so much better.

Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:

They first appeared in the Mario version of Doki Doki panic. They rarely appear in anything. Hell both hadn't been seen in a game for several years before SS came out.

Regardless there is absolutely nothing that says they had to be mainline. Please don't make up crap.

Always loved Mr. Red. His jumpy, happy attitude with that voice was contagious for me as a kid.

I certainly don't have much of an issue with the way he is now, but listening to those voice clips just reaffirmed the desire for a bit more out the main character. Being a victim of the "avatar" trope promps Nintendo to make him the "blank-slate" somewhat, and yet, like Link, they show more and more that clearly something more is there. The Mario and Luigi series is a pretty good example of that.

Also, agreed on a happy but snarky Mario. Martinet would do it well.

Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:
Mcmadness said:

They first appeared in the Mario version of Doki Doki panic. They rarely appear in anything. Hell both hadn't been seen in a game for several years before SS came out.

Regardless there is absolutely nothing that says they had to be mainline. Please don't make up crap.
OK, what is your explanation for Parakarry not appearing at all as he appeared in all the other ones? Or Bow? Or any damn Paper Mario characters for that matter? Clearly Miyamoto didn't want IS to use any of their own characters which includes past PM characters. There was no reason not to make Goomba King the World 1 Boss instead of a generic Goomba, either.

Why would Parakarry even appear? There is no mail in the entire game. As for goomboss they clearly had a different idea for a boss in mind with the group of goombas teaming up together. And lets be frank here, Goomboss has the personality of a piece of lint so its not like it makes a big difference.

OK, what is your explanation for Parakarry not appearing at all as he appeared in all the other ones? Or Bow? Or any damn Paper Mario characters for that matter? Clearly Miyamoto didn't want IS to use any of their own characters which includes past PM characters. There was no reason not to make Goomba King the World 1 Boss instead of a generic Goomba, either.

My guess is that none of these characters appeared because they have unique names and look different. That's obviously too much story. it could confuse people.

Smashman48 said:
Always loved Mr. Red. His jumpy, happy attitude with that voice was contagious for me as a kid.

I certainly don't have much of an issue with the way he is now, but listening to those voice clips just reaffirmed the desire for a bit more out the main character. Being a victim of the "avatar" trope promps Nintendo to make him the "blank-slate" somewhat, and yet, like Link, they show more and more that clearly something more is there. The Mario and Luigi series is a pretty good example of that.

Also, agreed on a happy but snarky Mario. Martinet would do it well.
Brb stealing your signature.

I agree.

He has also the following quotes in the clip:

"Oh.... man...."
The drunk laughter at 1:43ish
The drunk Wahoo after that

The drunk sounds are actually in the final game, its when Mario is low on health.

Mcmadness said:
The drunk sounds are actually in the final game, its when Mario is low on health.
Oh, cool. He actually sounds like he's low on health.

But my point is, why are the good voice clips unused?

Too varied characterization, probably.

I'm amazed they even let him say "Open Salami".

Back