Pokken Tournament

Unlocked Mewtwo earlier.

Are you tired of Mewtwo being not all that great in Smash? Then boy howdy, do I have the game for you!

Game arrived, gonna play some Sceptile or something.

By the way, a Shadow Mewtwo block string infinite was found, watch out for it. However supposedly the Gengar infinite was removed before the Wii U version came out so they might patch this soon too.

got to play this at a friend's house

this is a really fun game, definitely going to get it for myself sometime. gengar is boss

also the advisor character has some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a while, good god

I go online; first battle is against some guy who has played 200 matches and murders me.

I did manage to bring him down to low health because I was winning the exchanges more, he just had the combo's down really well so I only did piss poor damage while he took away half my health bar.

edit: okay, I finally got someone that had played less than 80 matches. It's so satisfying when you win by reading something they would do. He was Machamp and had low health, the whole game I had been using DownA so he was ready for it, but I knew he was going to jump out of it so I ran up and used Sceptile's air grab instead and won.

Also winning with that attack looks pretty dope.

I might try some other characters later but I'm still trying to get the hang of moving around with Sceptile. He doesn't seem to have anything great in Field Phase (I think it's funny when people leave the leaf projectile alone then it turns red and hits them when they don't expect it) but his Duel Phase is good if he's at a mid-range from the opponent.

Do you think there will be DLC in this game?

online play is buttery smooth

but everyone is better than me

laugh at my piddly 2-10 record

Threek said:

eh no worries, thats still better then my terrible record at nauts.

Threek said:

Better than my 1-15 record on day one. Online is really smooth though, I agree. (edit: except for one match just now which was really hard because it was really laggy, cost me a game right at the end, I reacted in time but the game didn't.)

I'm up to 15-32 21-38 now but I probably should have practiced more than just the tutorial and some shitty ai before I jumped into Ranked because it really skewed my win rate. I guess it's not important, I'm just happy to be beating people roughly half the time now. I also shouldn't have rematched the same Garchomp player four times in a row earlier, he was clearly out my league but I really wanted to beat him. I did bring it closer for the third and fourth match but those first two matches were just brutal. Garchomp is terrifying when it's aggressive. This guy was 12-0 and I made him 16-0.

I actually found the second person I fought online in the pokken subreddit which was neat. I'm at E2 E1 rank currently.

Only had to fight one Braixen so far, luck is on my side. edit: fuck Pikachu and Mewtwo though, both of those are infuriating to play against. Mewtwo does so much damage with so little effort and Pikachu can do whatever he wants because they'd get in trouble if they didn't make Pikachu amazing in this game.

I got this game last week, and first thing I did was to do some Tutorial and Practice rounds, since I never played a Tekken-styled game. The experience certainly felt different from traditional fighting games like Street Fighter 2, as well as Super Smash Bros., which is why I needed to familiarise the game.

Criticism is lobbied at this game for the lack of characters, but I think it's good to start with this number, somewhere between 10 and 20 characters, because there is a good variety between every playable character. The character I picked first, Chandelure, surprised me at how much options each character is given. Switching to Sceptile made me realise that he controls and attacks differently from Chandelure, which already overwhelmed me. I haven't exactly familiarised myself with this game, because I couldn't even get familiarised with Chandelure yet!

Thanks for reading.

So there's going to be a patch coming in early April. For now it's only known to have a fix for the Shadow Mewtwo infinite, adjustments to the Reshiram support (probably to make it not do so much damage on shield) and some other bug fixes. Might have some other stuff, idk. They've nerfed characters before (Gengar in particular) in the arcade version so it's possible they might nerf or buff some characters a little bit here.

If you have the Shadow Mewtwo card you can tap it again after using it to unlock Shadow Mewtwo for bonus stuff, some customisation items can only be gotten through amiibo as well. I got a Santa outfit from it. I'm slowly making my way through the Chroma League, I think I unlock Shadow Mewtwo permanently after this, and some halloween outfits.

My Sceptile is at Level 85 atm, your stats for this area are actually important for online. 100 Attack will give you +10% to your damage, 100 Defense will shave off 8% of the damage you take. Putting everything into attack is the best option but, if you already do enough damage (Machamp...) then you could put it in defense.

Flora said:
edit: fuck Mewtwo though
I fought against 3 Mewtwos so far and it seems like they're only playing him because they just unlocked him in single player. Only one person I played against seemed to have any idea how he works.

Still only E4 because I don't get as much game time as I'd like and honestly I still kinda suck at this game, lol. But on the bright side, I now have an overall winning record of 55.56%.

Flora said:
Only had to fight one Braixen so far, luck is on my side.

You're gonna... uh... not like playing against me, then. I'm kawaii fox witch trash and I apologize.

So far I've done 52 friendlies online, 9 ranked battles online, and am partway through the Blue League. I've pretty much just been using Rasslin' Pikachu (who's at SLv. 56 right now) through all of this and it's going alright, I still have a lot of room for improvement but I seem to have a basic understanding of what I'm doing with her.

My main problems seem to be getting zoned out and getting rushed down, which pretty much means every match is pretty difficult to overcome, and I am perfectly fine with it. A lot of the time it's so much zoning/rushing that I can't really do anything about it. With that in mind, a 26W-35L record overall seems kinda impressive.

Finally beat the Chroma League. Now I can start focusing my time on the online play. I almost double perfected the league champ, lol.

Threek said:
You're gonna... uh... not like playing against me, then. I'm kawaii fox witch trash and I apologize.
actually forget this

we vile now

Also why are Charizards so bad online? Seriously all they do is spam Fire Punch and what I'm assuming is Flamethrower.

I haven't played this in a while, I probably should have at least played a few more matches to reach D5 rather than stick with E1. I got Sceptile to Level 100 though that was nice. I put everything into attack because Sceptile needs whatever attack bonus he can get. I think I started using Farfetch'd and Electrode for a while, both are good for keeping people away.

They fixed Shadow Mewtwo's Infinite and dropped the damage Reshiram dealt a little. Reshiram is still a incredibly strong support however. That seems to be all that they changed in the recent patch.

Threek said:
Finally beat the Chroma League. Now I can start focusing my time on the online play. I almost double perfected the league champ, lol.
The Chroma League champ was a joke, I agree. Sceptile destroys Machamp, so I literally did double perfect him. Have fun with the Iron League. Do it for the santa outfit.

Threek said:
we vile now
thumbup.gif

edit: America got a different version of the recent patch which basically region locked it, Shadow Mewtwo's Back+Y is still multi-hit but it has more shield-push and less shield-stun so it doesn't infinite anymore. Everywhere else, Back+Y is changed into a single hit move that changes the phase so that it can't infinite anymore.

Nyrie said:
is it possible to beat shadow mewtwo or am i just missing some strategy
It's possible but not intended until the third fight. As far as I know, beating him earlier didn't cause anything special to happen to me, the same cut scene played and I didn't get bonus money or anything for it.

The third fight can be repeated over and over until you beat him because it's required so don't worry about that, it's still the same fight as earlier except his ai seemed to be a bit more aggressive.

Just gonna post and say that Dreamhack Austin is going on, Pokken Top 16 is being played for a few hours up until the top 8 is decided.

https://www.twitch.tv/dreamhackpt

I saw Bim playing as Sceptile, he destroyed Allister with him. Makes me happy to see a really good Sceptile player fucking up Suicune. Cat Fight is tearing through people with Chandelure though, if you like Chandy. Mewtwo vs Shadow Mewtwo atm. Other characters still in bracket are Suicune, Lucario, Sceptile, Mewtwo, Shadow Mewtwo, Chandy, Weavile, Gardevoir and Pika Libre.

Yeah I didn't expect Allister to make it out of that. Bim kinda pooped on him earlier so I thought maybe he was overrated but I probably shouldn't count him out. He's up against Suicune Master next so it'll probably be a Suicune mirror match.

Domino might just be the weakest player in top 16 or he might have poor Gardevoir experience, who knows. He's still good enough to make it out of pools but Maskrin is clearly better.

Back