Big Video Game Acquisitions (Microsoft buys Mojang)

Re: Big Video Game Acquisitions (Microsoft buys Mojang?)

Lumastar said:
Honoka Kousaka said:
MICROSOFT I SWEAR TO GOD DON'T TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME :mad:
What systems do you use?
A lot of Nintendo stuff (granted that has nothing to do with Minecraft) and PC (which is broken). I may do Sony and Microsoft too, but they are waaay to expensive for my tastes.

I doubt that Microsoft would take away Minecraft PC away (at least on Windows). I also expect Pocket Edition to stay active. However, the Playstation versions could take a beating. Also, don't expect Minecraft to come to Nintendo platforms or Vita anytime soon if the deal goes through.

oh yeah that's true i never really forgave them for doing away with ensemble studios (the guys who made age of empires II), although to be fair they later hired the same guys to make age of empires online so it's not really like they just forgot about them

Eh Notch and two other higher-ups have left the company with flooding pockets so we'll still likely see cool projects from them.

I don't know what value Microsoft are expecting Mojang to give them. Really, the only name to the brand is Minecraft and with such multiplatform support it would be a terrible and dickish business decision to pull those options now.

2.5 Billion Dollars...

literally no comment.

Also in the news today when somebody was talking about this he incorrectly pronounced mojang as "moyoung" (thats how you would pronounce it if it was a german word). was quite funny.

I think this is going to backfire. Or at least not be worth it. All Mojang is known for is Minecraft. Minecraft is still on other platforms, and is still selling really well on these platforms. Can Microsoft just take down the iOS or PC version of Minecraft? If people have already bought it...

And, anyway, making 'another Minecraft' is practically impossible. We already have Minecraft, and it's still getting new patches and not to mention new mods for the PC version. They've already made new versions of Minecraft.

Well, as much as I don't like the sale, I'm still thankful for what Notch did for the game and happy that he made it big.
Purple Yoshi said:
I think this is going to backfire. Or at least not be worth it. All Mojang is known for is Minecraft. Minecraft is still on other platforms, and is still selling really well on these platforms. Can Microsoft just take down the iOS or PC version of Minecraft? If people have already bought it...
The only thing that nixing the PC version of Minecraft would accomplish would be putting everyone involved in the decision into the stupid business moves hall of fame. "Hmm, this is the best-selling PC game of all time, and the sales are still going strong...Let's remove it for no reason!"

Deleting it from iOS would also kill the point of trying to put Microsoft into mobile gaming, which I seem to recall reading was the whole reason they bought it in the first place.

That's why I don't understand why they bought it. Let's be honest, I don't think Microsoft would buy Mojang unless it's for some future exclusivity deal. Right? If they want them to make a Minecraft 2 exclusive for XBOX One, I doubt it would get the insane amount of hype and success that the original has.

> Pulling the PC version
Y'all know Microsoft owns Windows, right? ;)
Unless you mean pulling Mac / Linux support.

Still, the game is written in Java so even if they attempted to pull it, you could still run it fine because Java VM.

there is literally no reason for microsoft to pull minecraft from pc. maybe if it was on steam they might benefit, but guess what? it's not

i doubt they'll pull mac support too, considering they sell ms office for mac and haven't pulled that, but who knows

Back