Would Nintendo benefit from this?

See topic

• Total voters

3D Player 2004

Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
Banned User
Would Nintendo benefit from lending out its franchises that it has no intention of continuing to support itself (eg: F-Zero) to third party developers that could design games for that franchise with the catch that it has to be a Wii U exclusive.

I'm not sure, it would be really risky in my opinion.

Well, a problem with the Wii U is that Nintendo keeps using the same IPs like Mario and Zelda. Selling their old franchises that haven't seen the light of day in a while wouldn't help much.

It doesn't make any sense to reuse old franchises the vast majority of people wont buy

I think it would be better if they just introduced more innovations to their normal franchises

Uh guys, this isn't a new thing. Like... at all.

F-Zero GX was developed by Sega.
Super Mario RPG was developed by Square.
Super Punch Out was developed by Next Level Games.
Donkey Kong Country series was developed by Rare and later Retro Studios.
Metroid Prime series was developed by Retro Studios.
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and Oracle of Ages/Seasons were developed by Capcom.
Star Fox Adventures was developed by Rare.
Star Fox Assault was developed by Namco.

There are countless other examples too.

Honestly, it can only mean good things. The Wii U needs more games and Nintendo should be doing everything they can to get them. Having such well known IPs can be very tempting for a start up game developer looking for some success, because they don't need to worry about building brand loyalty. It also helps Nintendo get some new games for their console. If a spin off is awful then it will simply be forgotten because it wasn't developed by Nintendo, it won't stop people from buying games in the main series. I'm definitely all for it.

fantanoice said:
I don't think you should count these three since Rare was a second-party developer at the time and developed exclusively for Nintendo systems and Retro Studios is owned by Nintendo.

Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
I don't think you should count these three since Rare was a second-party developer at the time and developed exclusively for Nintendo systems and Retro Studios is owned by Nintendo.
Also next level games only works with nintendo now

Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
I know, I'm mentioning them because they weren't within Nintendo's development team and still required permission to use their IP.

fantanoice said:
Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
I know, I'm mentioning them because they weren't within Nintendo's development team and still required permission to use their IP.
Um what.

Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
Aiko Heiwa said:
fantanoice said:
Um what.
As in not part of Nintendo EAD.

nintendo has many, many internal divisions beside EAD

Just because Nintendo owned these other companies doesn't mean they dictated what they were going to do with them. Historically, Nintendo usually let the devs call the shots (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country being notable examples) and only chiming in every now and again. It was pretty uncommon for them to make drastic design decisions for them, though it did happen sometimes (a notable case being Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures).

What I'm basically saying is, while Nintendo may have owned these companies, they generally left creative control to the developers of these companies and not themselves. That's why they were included.

Very yes. The Wii U needs more games and Nintendo can't make enough to go around.

Overall, the fundamental question of this topic needs to be more precise.

Back