Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8, 2014

launch window for 3ds version is this summer, wii u is in the winter

Did I just see a blue shell in there?

I think we have a new item confirmation!

edit: lol online for glory mode.
NO ITEMS
Fox Only nah
FINAL DESTINATION ( + forms!)

edit2: Sheik, ZS Samus, and Yoshi are reconfirmed
edit3: Charizard is back, and standalone this time. RIP Pokemon Trainer: 2008 - 2014. Greninja is also confirmed as a fighter.

Vince McMahon said:
ok i know this isn't my topic (and a bit of blatant advertising) but i'd like to announce that i'll be doing the smash bros direct on instasynch, in case you wanna live chat it or anything

...and maybe a replay later tonight in case you did miss it

http://www.instasynch.com/rooms/GutsehMan (this is the hype day we never imagined)

replay happenin' at 8:00 CST

be there or be a sphere

Greninja is meh.

Online is whatever.

I like the look of Smash Run, though.

Vince McMahon said:
ok i know this isn't my topic (and a bit of blatant advertising) but i'd like to announce that i'll be doing the smash bros direct on instasynch, in case you wanna live chat it or anything

...and maybe a replay later tonight in case you did miss it

http://www.instasynch.com/rooms/GutsehMan (this is the hype day we never imagined)

replay is NOW

I feel it was mediocre. I can careless about stages, characters, movesets, or even online for that matter etc. I wanted to hear more about the modes and gameplay LOCALLY. Also, I don't care for the 3DS version.

Online will probably be great because you are matched up with players of your own skill level and there are rules, but I never played Smash for the online. In fact, I never even experienced Brawl online. To be honest, I never experienced any of the online for any of the last gen consoles. And really, I had no problem playing against the computer.

But one thing with the rules is that I hope parents teach their children according to them. What I mean is, some younger players (under 10 or 8 years old) are really likely to leave battles because they are losing (I was one of those kids who would do that) and obviously, they will not excuse actions according to age. I don't want any child to be penalized because they don't know any better.

Also, I wish the wii u version had smash run, because I am really scared about this game being to heavily focused on multiplayer. Like I said in another thread, I hope this game doesn't become a game I will buy and play for a few weeks and then rarely play it because I have no friends. And for anyone who says fighting games are for multiplayer, that's not true. It is very possible to make a fighting game with good singleplayer and multiplayer.

Anyway, I guess I should end this off with good notes........

I'm sorry, I know I am basically going to enter the flame realm by saying this, but I don't have any good notes. The presentation is just a disappointment. It seems like he was just trying show off stuff for the non-general demographic like professionals, players who really only play this for the online, and people who only grab this out every now and then to play this with their freinds.

Here is my evidence

He always is talking about trying balance out characters. I have no problem with this, but Smash fans like me won't care about this or even observe this. Only professionals and stuff would care about that. He has basically made a "professionals" mode and "professionals" stages. I know this seems like jumping to conclusions, but I really only feel that some of these rules were created just for those who are butthurt over dumb stuff because reporting people for some of this stuff sounds like something a 5 year old would say. "Mom, he keeps quitting!" "Dad, he keeps hitting me!". Speaking of which, what the heck is self destructing? Is that when you overuse your shield? If so, why would you report someone for that? If someone did that, all I would say is "free higher rank for me, yay!"

Overall, even before this, I really don't feel excited for this game, no matter what. But I really want to. I know this sounds vain. But I feel sakurai is making choices with this game that is rather questionable to me and I am hoping that he isn't turning the Smash series into something I personally will lose interest of in the future.

The reason why this concerns me is because Smash (the original) is what got me into video games and even Nintendo themselves. Without it, I don't know what would have became of me as a gamer. Would I be as interested in it as I am today? Would I be a fan of something else instead of Nintendo? I don't know. I just hope he can turn things around at least for me.

YOU MAY BEGIN THE STONING!

i played smash bros mostly alone and didn't care for the single player component that much

just messing around by myself and with CPU players, an ability that seems as present as always

also jesus nobody is going to stone you for your opinions

i mean your opinion is dumb but it's not like you're some brave fucking hero making a bold political statement

you're talking about video games on a mario forum

Great to see Yoshi back

Don't know how Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Charizard became their own characters, but I like. It gives the chance for them to have more fleshed out movesets.

Also, yay for Greninja! It seems like a perfect counterpart to Charizard, and perhaps we'll get a rivalry between them in future?

Contra(dictory) said:
also jesus nobody is going to stone you for your opinions

i mean your opinion is dumb but it's not like you're some brave *bleep*ing hero making a bold political statement

you're talking about video games on a mario forum

chillv said:
Zae Eildus said:
....so you simply cower down before someone elses opinion?

thats a very tragic life, friend.

Maybe I have a type of allodoxophobia (fear of opinions) and doxophobia (fear of expressing opinions)

but I also have a fear of disagreements and being called names and stuff (people may call you names because of the way you feel about things or your own understanding of things)... which there apparently is not phobia for. So basically, put all of these together and...

I am afraid to express opinions because I am afraid to hear other peoples opinions because I am sensitive to disagreements, arguments and debate most because of the way I act on them and what it usually leads to. So, I try to avoid voicing opinions at all costs. It does bother me to not be able to voice my honest opinions all the time every day, but I'd rather that than to recieve a counter-argument (which my body responds to in an unpleasant way) or being called names.

Also, on an additional note, my body makes the same response simply to hearing things I don't like and criticism, which I try to avoid too.

Also, ironically, they are pushing all the right buttons with me for Mario Kart 8.

Ok, I just saw the Direct after coming back from work. My impressions:

OH MY GOD. Like, OH, MY GOD. SO MANY THINGS.

-I'm glad they FINALLY separated Zelda and Sheik. I've been wanting this since Melee. It will be weird seeing the same person in the same place two times, but who the hell cares about realism. I'm also very happy about Samus' and Zero Suit Samus' split. Yay for this.

-CHARIZARD IS ALONE, OH MY GOD. I'm one of the people who really wanted Pokémon Trainer to be cut, but I always thought it would be sad to see Charizard go, since he's awesome and so iconic, and now I get to see that such an unlikely decision, which was leaving him alone, was actually made. Ivysaur can go f--- himself, but I'm sad to see Squirtle go, since he was the most useful in the team. AND YAY FOR MEGA CHARIZARD X.

-Yoshi looks cool as always. I'm happy they FINALLY revealed him. Now we have all the eight basic AND I can finally say that my favorite three characters (Bowser, Rosalina and Yoshi in that order) are together in a Smash Bros game!

-Greninja, though... Why. I mean, WHY. There were so many better choices. Of course, he's not a bad Pokémon, but he's definitely not one that stands out. He's just one more of the bunch. Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja are cool, but this means that Mewtwo is out, again, unless he replaces Jigglypuff, which I desperately hope.

-Winter release for the Wii U version? That was expected, but disappointing nonetheless. I guess I'll have to wait. I can't care less about the 3DS version.

-Greninja, though... Why. I mean, WHY. There were so many better choices. Of course, he's not a bad Pokémon, but he's definitely not one that stands out. He's just one more of the bunch. Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja are cool, but this means that Mewtwo is out, again, unless he replaces Jigglypuff, which I desperately hope.

actually greninja is pretty popular both in and outside of competitive battling.

He pretty much seems to rain supreme for 6th gen starters too, so yeah thought id say that.

chillv said:
Speaking of which, what the heck is self destructing? Is that when you overuse your shield? If so, why would you report someone for that? If someone did that, all I would say is "free higher rank for me, yay!"
Selfdestructing is when you purposefully kill your character by jumping off the stage.

Disappointed in every single aspect.

Head to the main SSB4 thread for my detailed expressions on this topic...

I wanted a bit more about the game modes and interface too. It's a bit bittersweet; characters are great, but we're still left in the dark compared to how much info we had this time in Brawl's development.

Squirtle said:
I wanted a bit more about the game modes and interface too. It's a bit bittersweet; characters are great, but we're still left in the dark compared to how much info we had this time in Brawl's development.

And that's great in my opinion. The less we know, the more we'll be surprised when we finally get the game.

Sir Komlin IV said:
Ridley De-confirmed! He will be a stage boss.
[quote author=somebody on gamefaqs]look closely during the infamous " Shadow" part of the direct. for a breif moment you can see a wing flap on screen. A GRAY WING. every time we've seen Ridley he's had PURPLE WINGS. this includes his other M incarnation which is the most reasonable one to appear here..

now pop quiz for metroid fans.. who has Gray Wings?

Meta Ridley

thus we are being trolled and Ridley still has a chance as a playable character.[/quote]

in my opinion balancing the characters will make it more fun

i'm not really in to the competitive scene

Zae Eildus said:

actually greninja is pretty popular both in and outside of competitive battling.

He pretty much seems to rain supreme for 6th gen starters too, so yeah thought id say that.
best 6th gen starter is braixen

not delphox tho, delphox looks lame

Back