Ridley for Smash Bros.: The Go-To topic for Ridley Discussions

GalacticPetey said:
Stooben said:
GalacticPetey said:
*The trophy theory. As we know, four trophies were shown in the Smash direct. They were Tiki from FE, Fi from Zelda, Pseudo-Palutena from Kid icarus, and King Kihunter from Metroid. In addition, Robin's theme played over the Tiki trophy, the Ballad of the Sky Goddess (which features Ghirahim's theme) played over Fi's trophy, Palutena's theme played over the Pseudo Palutena trophy, and Ridley's theme played over the King Kihunter trophy. Guess who was confirmed to be playable? Robin and Palutena. This gives me hope not only for ridley, but also for Ghirahim.
This theory makes me wonder, if Ghirahim is playable, is he replacing Ganondorf? Zelda already has 4 reps, and while it's reasonable to assume they'll have more reps than Fire Emblem (which is firmly sitting at 4), I can't see them having more reps than Mario (which currently is sitting at 5).

If anything, Zelda should be tied with Mario and Pokemon for top representation.

As for Ridley, I see absolutely no reason for him to not be playable. He's the only adequate rep left for the Metroid series, the current roster is seriously lacking in villains, and yeah, he's got to be one of the most requested characters. I think he could make for an interesting moveset and playstyle, honestly.
I don't see them cutting Ganondorf. It is very possible that instead of a Zelda newcomer, we just get a revamped Ganondorf. That doesn't mean Ghorahim is out. Now, Pokemon did have six characters in Brawl. Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has referred to Brawl as having 39 characters, which means Sheik, ZSS, and the Trainer's Pokemon all count separately.

It would make the most sense for each of the "big three" to have five characters. We know our five Mario characters. We have four Zelda characters with Ganondorf likely being the fifth. We also have four Pokemon, with Jigglypuff likely being the fifth. But, the trophy theory possibly would give us six each. But in Brawl, Mario had four, Zelda had five, and Pokemon had six. They don't have to be even.

But for fun, let's say all three get six characters. The sixth Zelda character would be Ghirahim going by the trophy theory, but could be Impa. The sixth Pokemon would definitely be Mewtwo. As for Mario, I would say Toad but that's Peach's neutral special. However, it could be a placeholder. Remember how the boxing ring stage looked different before Little Mac was revealed? Not to mention Sakurai said Peach's moves could be subject to change. With custom moves, it's also possible Peach would do something else for that move.
I still think that we will either get Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or nobody in addition to Rosalina as a Mario newcomer. Sakurai's comment about some of Peach's moves being final and Peach not being playable in the E3 demo are both suspicious, however.

If there were 6 reps per Big 3:
Zelda: Sadly probably Ghirahim, hopefully Ganon.
Pokemon: Probably and hopefully Sceptile though if we are unlucky, we will get Mewtwo instead.
Mario: Up in the air with Daisy and Bowser Jr and Toad all having a chance but Daisy has the most chance.

3D Player 2004 said:
If there were 6 reps per Big 3:
Zelda: Sadly probably Ghirahim, hopefully Ganon.
I would like either Ghirahim or Ganon. Ghirahim would make more sense if Ganondorf gets a new moveset, though.
Pokemon: Probably and hopefully Sceptile though if we are unlucky, we will get Mewtwo instead.
I understand that you're entitled to your own opinions, but Mewtwo deserves to be in much more than Sceptile (Sceptile has a shot, though).
Mario: Up in the air with Daisy and Bowser Jr and Toad all having a chance but Daisy has the most chance.
I can understand the other two, but this is just ridiculous. Daisy will and should not be in before Toad, Bowser Jr., or Paper Mario AT LEAST. Waluigi also applies for future installments of the series.

If we get 4 Gen 1 Reps (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff) over completion of the starter triangle, a lot of people including myself would be very upset. Of course anything is possible (We were originally going to get 7 to 9 Pokemon reps in Brawl but Mewtwo got scrapped later on late in development due to time constraints while Plusle and Minum were also scrapped albeit earlier in development). It is unlikely they are facing that same problem and they probably are facing the inverse of that problem as shown by the addition of clones. That bring up the possibility of 7 Pokemon Reps (5th Jigglypuff, 6th Sceptile, 7th Mewtwo)

3D Player 2004 said:
If we get 4 Gen 1 Reps (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff) over completion of the starter triangle, a lot of people including myself would be very upset. Of course anything is possible
By a lot of people, you mean you and about two people on GameFAQs. There would definitely be more people upset with Sceptile getting in over Mewtwo than vice versa.

However, I do agree Sceptile is a likely possibility for the seventh Pokémon rep.

GalacticPetey said:
I don't see them cutting Ganondorf. It is very possible that instead of a Zelda newcomer, we just get a revamped Ganondorf. That doesn't mean Ghorahim is out. Now, Pokemon did have six characters in Brawl. Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Sakurai has referred to Brawl as having 39 characters, which means Sheik, ZSS, and the Trainer's Pokemon all count separately.

It would make the most sense for each of the "big three" to have five characters. We know our five Mario characters. We have four Zelda characters with Ganondorf likely being the fifth. We also have four Pokemon, with Jigglypuff likely being the fifth. But, the trophy theory possibly would give us six each. But in Brawl, Mario had four, Zelda had five, and Pokemon had six. They don't have to be even.

But for fun, let's say all three get six characters. The sixth Zelda character would be Ghirahim going by the trophy theory, but could be Impa. The sixth Pokemon would definitely be Mewtwo. As for Mario, I would say Toad but that's Peach's neutral special. However, it could be a placeholder. Remember how the boxing ring stage looked different before Little Mac was revealed? Not to mention Sakurai said Peach's moves could be subject to change. With custom moves, it's also possible Peach would do something else for that move.
For the record, I don't think Ganondorf is going to get cut. He's way too important of a character in Nintendo history. I'll acknowledge that Zelda and Pokemon did have more reps in terms of physical characters than Mario in Brawl, but all three series still had the same representation on the roster. Perhaps that's what I should be using for a gauge, since they've made it a point to make each rep receive a different roster slot this time around. Even in Melee, all three series were represented equally on the roster. It seems strange to change that formula now. Not saying it's impossible, but it strikes me as unlikely at this point.

6 reps/roster slots would mean at least two more newcomers, which seems like a lot. Though, again, I'm not ruling it out; it just feels unlikely. I don't want to start predicting who said reps could be, though; that's getting too far outside the realm of this topic.

I really think the trophy theory is holding some water, though, considering it's 2-for-2 on the newcomer front. I think Ridley's likelihood for inclusion is pretty high, too. That's just what's got me wondering about the Zelda series' representation now.

Like I said, Ganondorf getting a new moveset based around magic and a sword would almost make him a newcomer.

All the love Zelda is getting by having three assist trophies confirmed already and the abundance of new Zelda items makes me think Zelda is getting something new. Be it a revamped Ganondorf or a new character.

Stooben said:
Even in Melee, all three series were represented equally on the roster.
I just realized how wrong this was. I'm surprsied no one called me out on it.

But yeah, if we could just get a "villains" trailer to confirm most of the baddies on the roster, that would be nice. I think the only ones we have right now are Bowser and Dedede? That's a bit underwhelming. I'm sure Ganondorf's a shoe-in, but even three is a pretty low amount of bad guys to play as amongst all those heroes.

[quote author=A user of NeoGaf]Ridley: "Sakuraaaaaaaaaiii!"

*the great Sakurai appears in the sky*

Sakurai: "...yes?"

Ridley: "I demand you make me playable in Smash Bros. I am equal to all of the other characters. In fact, I am greater!"

Sakurai: "Hmm... Then prove your greatness."

Ridley: "Name your price!"

Sakurai: "Can you leap past my palm?"

Ridley: "Your palm? ...Your palm? Why, I'm HUGE. Of course I can leap past your palm."

Sakurai: "Very well. Leap past my palm, and you make it into Smash Bros. Fail, and nerds will debate your inclusion only to be crestfallen in a never-ending cycle."

Ridley: "Deal!"

*Ridley cackles maniacally as he hefts his massive frame into the air and sails tens of thousands of miles with one majestic flap of his wings*

*He touches down at the ends of the earth, where only five pillar rise toward heaven*

Ridley: "Ha! The fool underestimated my greatness. I must mark how far I traveled."

*Ridley writes "Ridley 4 Lyfe, lol" on one of the five pillars, and then urinates on it*

(Later...)

Ridley: "I'm back! Now you must let me be playable in Smash!"

Sakurai: "But you didn't jump past my palm."

Ridley: "Yes I did. I even marked it on one of the pill--"

*Sakurai raises his hand and turns his palm outward, revealing Ridley's message written on his index finger*

*Ridley gasps*[/quote]

Back