Cyberbullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillv

9-Volt must be my video game counterpart.
Don't you hate it when stuff like this happens. Why do they ignore the fact that people have feeling and what they say can effect a person in real life before they post things that can make you feel upset about yourself? This is not like real life where something can be done about that person. To be honest, I believe most people say things they wouldn't say on the internet because they take for granted that they are basically anonymous on the internet,

That is one of the reasons why I feel guilty afterwards whenever I think about something I said to someone on the internet in retrospect and think it was mean. That is unless, they have already said something offensive to me to begin with. In that case, I feel that they are asking for it or wanted it in the first place.

My first experience with this happened when I was 11 years old and I was making comments on Youtube videos (I lied about my age so I could have the account at the time). Basically, it started with me expressing an unpopular opinion. Then some guy in his 20's started saying some really offensive stuff to me and it eventually lead to him swearing at me and constantly calling me some very unpleasant names. The end result was me crying and I had trouble sleeping that night.

Unfortunately, my second and third experience is here on this forum. You remember my "tv shows for little kids nowadays" topic? It started with somebody saying something like "obviously a small child trying to make himself look rebellious by writting a *bleep*ing essay saying negative stuff about dora. I then went along and made a joke out of saying that I wasn't one by defining difficult words and correcting him on what an essay is. He then said "I hope you are a small child, at least you would grow out of being insufferable". A user then made a joke out of the same post and said "you are dumb, stop being so dumb. And then, I reply "obvious joke" and then he says "doesn't make you less dumb". This eventually led up to some other stuff which led to me getting a warning from the mods.

The next time, some user I can't remember the name of simply called me egotistic because I put my own quotes in my own signature

My fourth experience is on "the forum that shall not be named" I have had several experiences of getting cyberbullied on that forum that I can't even count them all, and the worst thing is that the mods let these people get away with it. However, this recent experience in the link below is almost on par with the cyberbullying on youtube and it really made me feel bad. In fact, it is the main reason why I decided to make this topic. I basically said that I was kind of bummed about the fact that I didn't get my $50 eshop card for Christmas and that others are very fortunate to have their own jobs and money to get thing they want and then I get called a spoiled brat and somebody even said that if they were my parent, they would take all the stuff they gave me and give it somebody else who so-called "deserves" it.

Anyway, have you had any experiences with cyberbullying on the internet.

ask a mod to delete this thread

just

don't ask them to lock it

ask them to delete it

yeah a shitstorm is brewing and we are currently in the eye

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
ask a mod to delete this thread

just

don't ask them to lock it

ask them to delete it

yeah a *bleep*storm is brewing and we are currently in the eye
What's wrong with this thread?

I agree with Banjo, send this thread to storage turns into a massive flame war.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
i kind of overreacted; cyberbullying is a great topic of conversation. the thread can still be slavaged

i beg you from the depths of my heart, chillv

for your own good

take my advice and remove anything involving nice cage or gamefaqs

How about you remove all of your post mentioning either of those. If neither are mention I doubt he we will even know and I doubt people will know what forum I am refering to unless they have asked me and I PM'ed them.

lol cyberbullying

i cared about it once but realized its meaningless if you arent affected by mere words.

Yeah basically, and there's always a simple block function on most (if not all websites), even here has an ignore function

Cyberbullying is a touchy topic but I don't think what experiences you had qualify as cyberbullying. I think cyberbullying is much more extreme. Cases of cyberbullying include rumors and embarrassing pictures posted on sites. It's usually bullying taken on a personal level, but to far more extremes. I don't think insults online equate to being cyberbullied.

The least you could do is block/ignore list the perpetrators, if you're given the option to do so.

Also, on GameFAQs, the Wii U board is a fricking awful place by its own merit, which is why I avoid there at all costs

Princess Zae said:
i cared about it once but realized its meaningless if you arent affected by mere words.

It's true that they may be just words, but others do care and, in extreme cases, be suicidal. Bullying kills.

yeah but its just words, when compared to actual bullying, its far more severe and you can get seriously hurt, unlike the internet.

I mean i guess if you take people seriously all the time, but my past experiences have taught that cyberbullying is meaningless compared to the real thing.

Princess Zae said:
yeah but its just words, when compared to actual bullying, its far more severe and you can get seriously hurt, unlike the internet.

I mean i guess if you take people seriously all the time, but my past experiences have taught that cyberbullying is meaningless compared to the real thing.

Well some people take more offense to insults to others (me for example). I can't really help it. It cuts really deep, and the more people say it, the more I feel like that's who I am and I feel really terrible; it takes a huge while to get over it.

As far as the internet goes, I am apparently a spoiled brat, a greedy, ungrateful a**, envious b****, Nintendrone/Nintendo fanboy, dumb, untolerable and oversensitive.

And to this day those words still haunt and bother me.

This could possibly be because that stuff was being said to me just before I reached my teens and now I have negative late childhood experiences.

Kleptoad said:
Look i'm 100% supportive of bullying the cyber
thats not funny :mad:
cyber bullying is serious
of course, you can normally just avoid such people on the internet
when its really bad is when its people who know you in real life

chillv said:
As far as the internet goes, I am apparently a spoiled brat, a greedy, ungrateful a**, envious b****, Nintendrone/Nintendo fanboy, dumb, untolerable and oversensitive.

Most of these insults are just mindless, insipid drivel spewed out by obvious brainfart.

Wait did I say most?

I meant all

Deception said:

Just ask me, I love being a jerk to my sis >:D

Baby Luigi said:
Deception said:

Just ask me, I love being a jerk to my sis >:D
I'd call that trolling/being funny, not bullying, bullying would be if it seriously bothered her and she asked you to stop and you didn't

I'm pretty damn evil with it comes to Mario Kart though....but luckily, it's on to a fictional yellow-hatted obese cute ogre who loves being double-lapped.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm pretty dang evil with it comes to Mario Kart though....but luckily, it's on to a fictional yellow-hatted obese cute ogre who loves being double-lapped.
Games like Mario Kart are games where you are meant to be the biggest jerk to win. Same goes with Mario Party and other party games.

Also, you would have to actually be abusing her verbally or physically to consider it bullying. Simple jokes and playing around such as mocking or doing the "im not touching you" game isn't necessarily bullying.

And using slurs that really isn't meant to be taken seriously or metaphorically isn't either.

You would have to keep doing it after she asks you to stop and that it hurts her feeling for it to be bullying since that means you are doing something that you think is funny or innocent and disregarding the fact that you are making someone feel uncomfortable in the process.

thats nothing, I time my lightning bolts to make other split screen players fall to their death :P

chillv said:
Games like Mario Kart are games where you are meant to be the biggest jerk to win. Same goes with Mario Party and other party games.
Really? I'm rarely a jerk in Mario Kart I win. The only time I can remember being a jerk was in a school Mario Kart competition where I kept moving in front of someone as they used Triple Mushrooms so they could hit my Triple Banana.

Duskull said:
chillv said:
Really? I'm rarely a jerk in Mario Kart I win. The only time I can remember being a jerk was in a school Mario Kart competition where I kept moving in front of someone as they used Triple Mushrooms so they could hit my Triple Banana.

You don't have to be, but it's a good option to show no mercy to anyone and be as mean as possible.

chillv said:
Duskull said:
chillv said:

You don't have to be, but it's a good option to show no mercy to anyone and be as mean as possible.

well i do this with fighting games.

A lot of people just rage quit because im constantly attacking and insanely aggressive.

Although to be honest i dont really know how to go easy in games haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back