New Super Mario Bros. Mii

Dr Luigi Tm

Cheep Cheep
(Sorry if my english is not perfect!)

I just want to know why, on the wiki, New Super Mario Bros. Mii is considered a different game than New Super Mario Bros. U?
It is obvious that New Super Mario Bros. Mii was the same game with a different name (Remember when Super Mario 3D Land was simply nammed Super Mario?). We can see on videos and pictures the same level from game to game, the same textures and so on. I don't think New Super Mario Bros. Mii should be marked as ''Cancelled'' on the ''Games'' section. It should not be there at all and only be in the ''Beta Elements'' of New Super Mario Bros. U.

What do you think?

It is because NSMBM and NSMBU are not the same games.

NSMBM was simply a demo game, used to show how the the Wii U can be played on more than one screens. There are obviously big differences from the Demo and the actual game that came out with the Wii U.

This is comparable to Balloon Trip and Yoshi Touch & Go

Both are similar games but one of them is a tech demo (Balloon Trip) while the other is a full fledged game that borrows concepts from Balloon Trip.

New Super Mario Bros. Mii was a Tech Demo, New Super Mario Bros. U is a full game.
That's why.

New Super Mario Bros. Mii is just a Beta version of New Super Mario Bros. U. In both games we can play as Miis, They have the same textures, same mechanics... It is just because it is a different name. Remember the Beta Version of New Super Mario Bros on DS? In some videos, the Goomba was eating a Giant 'Shroom and became a geant. That was not featured in the final game but it was considered the same game.... Just because the name of the game was the same.

But for New Super Mario Bros. Mii, it is obvious that they just changed the name during the making of the game. New Super Mario Bros. U was officially announced just some mouths after we first saw NSMBM... It is impossible that they did NSMBU in just a few mounths.

Super Mario 3D Land was previously nammed Super Mario, Mario Kart Double Dash was previously nammed Mario Kart for Game Cube (and it had nothing to do with the actual gameplay of the game, but still, it is considered the Beta Version of MKDD, not a completely different game)...

Tell me what is so different between those? :

511709nsmbm.png

They're still separate games. New Super Mario Bros. U simply took the engine of New Super Mario Bros. Mii and made the game from that. I'm sure the game was intended from the start, but the developers wanted to make a simple tech demo for demonstrating the Wii U's capabilities. It's not completely a beta.

The differences I see: Mii has clearer Textures than U, and the Coin Star and Coin Amount Indicators are swapped.
Still, even though there are many similarities, they're not the same Project.
Or maybe...who knows?

i'll throw my two cents in

in the original iwata asks for new super mario bros. mii

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/e32011/newhw/0/5

miyamoto alludes to the fact that nsmbm was meant to be a new game entirely, saying his team showed him a prototype of the game (a prototype of nsmbm)

somewhere along the line, between the original showing at e3 2011 and e3 2012, the game did one of two things

either 1. it became a brand new game with the same engine, but reusing concepts and ideas

or 2. it simply got rid of the miis and changed its name

Well, it didn't really get rid of the Mii's, you can still play as them in the Challenges Mode.
Like:

MKGirlism said:
Well, it didn't really get rid of the Mii's, you can still play as them in the Challenges Mode.
Like:

i specifically meant in the main story, but i guess i didn't clarify that enough :P

miyamoto alludes to the fact that nsmbm was meant to be a new game entirely, saying his team showed him a prototype of the game (a prototype of nsmbm)

So the fact that they did not completely get rid of the Mii is just another exemple to show that they're both the same game.

We just need to look at both games and it is obvious that they just changed the name... They both used the same levels, the same elements, both feature Miis... NSMBU could have not be done in only a year.

So, since it was confirmed that they were the same game in the Iwata Asks, am I allowed to make the change on the Wiki?

Dr Luigi Tm said:

So the fact that they did not completely get rid of the Mii is just another exemple to show that they're both the same game.

We just need to look at both games and it is obvious that they just changed the name... They both used the same levels, the same elements, both feature Miis... NSMBU could have not be done in only a year.

So, since it was confirmed that they were the same game in the Iwata Asks, am I allowed to make the change on the Wiki?

it was never confirmed

it was a different game at first then eventually DID ONE OF TWO THINGS

either 1. it became a brand new game with the same engine, but reusing concepts and ideas and some stages

or 2. it simply got rid of the miis IN THE MAIN GAME and changed its name to new super mario bros u

edit: ok, i think i found some proof for #1

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29838

Miyamoto before E3 2012 said:
In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii U system will be shown at this year's E3 Expo. This is based on the Mario experience that was demonstrated at last year's E3 Expo.

Back