Characters confirmed to return in SSB4

Anser said:
Jim McGinn said:
In Smash they represent their respective series, so they're not really classed as Mario characters.

Oh, I thought we were talking about them in general. Then yes, all Mario characters have already returned (and possibly, all Donkey Kong characters too).
:drmario:

I LOVED the fake-out in the Super Smash Bros. Direct with Zero Suit Samus! See, THIS is what I meant by Sakurai's trolling nature, he loves to mess with us. Anyway, it's interesting that they wanted to "power [Zero Suit Samus] up" this time around, even though she was technically "higher tier" in Brawl, not to mention the whole point of her character was that she was weak attack-wise by a very fast character. Regardless, those jet boots are cool (no, I don't think it's sexist that they gave Samus high heels, especially since they actually IMPROVE her combat style, so shut up!), plus they got ride of that stupid tether recovery, so I'm glad!

I like Zelda's new down special move, that Phantom Slash looks dang useful, and awesome to boot! Oh, and I guess Sheik is a seperate character now... and they replaced her Chain move it seems. I guess I'm fine with that, the Chain move didn't have that much practical use anyway. the "Bouncing Fish" reminds me of the Flip Jump move Zero Suit Samus had in Brawl.

And FINALLY Yoshi shows up! I guess they were saving him for this. Sakurai said they were working on improving his look, which is why they held off his reveal until now, and I guess I can buy that. The dedication made to actually making the characters LOOK like the games they're from is really great this time around! And at last the original 8 have all been confirmed!

Seeing Charizard all by himself is pretty cool, though I guess this means no Squirtle or Ivysaur, which is a shame... Still, Charizard is pretty badass on his own, and it's cool to finally see him playable on his own.

Something that I love about this game is that characters like Bowser and Yoshi actually look like how they do in there games. Brawl made these two, as well as all the other characters, have a realistic look to them and a washed out color palette. This game is sticking true to how these characters look in their games.

Nick Fury said:
Something that I love about this game is that characters like Bowser and Yoshi actually look like how they do in there games. Brawl made these two, as well as all the other characters, have a realistic look to them and a washed out color palette. This game is sticking true to how these characters look in their games.
Yeah, that's something I really appreciate about these new games as well, and it's not just with Bowser and Yoshi. Mario and Luigi's outfits are also very similar to how they look in recent games. They're still detailed, but in a more subdued way compared to the previous Super Smash Bros. games. There's also the fact that Luigi uses his freaking Poltergust and likely won't have that stupid trippy "Negative Zone" move.

I think one of my favorite things is how they actually gave Dedede facial expressions instead of just a constant soul-staring look, especially when doing his hammer. Definitely another reason why I'm going to continue having Dedede as one of my mains.

Ira Gamagoori said:
I think one of my favorite things is how they actually gave Dedede facial expressions instead of just a constant soul-staring look, especially when doing his hammer. Definitely another reason why I'm going to continue having Dedede as one of my mains.
King Dedede was bound to continue to be my main no matter what, but the fact that he's a lot less (for lack of better terminology) "dead-faced" then before really makes me happy. Hell, the same could be said for all the characters. I thank Miyamoto (aka God) that Mario's no longer "so super serious" like he was in the previous game. Hell, when he used that taunt based on his death animation from Donkey Kong, and he still continued to use that "super-cereal" face of his while he was doing it... well, it kind of broke the mood for me.

Almost ALL the characters have gained more expressions, including Pikachu who, from what I can tell, almost always had one face whenever he fought in Brawl.

Zae Eildus said:
yeah they're pretty excessive.

Although ive seen worse.
my problem with the heels is that the character designers for the zero suit specifically didn't want the outfit to have high heels.
MZMZSSE.png

Crocodile Dippy said:
Zae Eildus said:
yeah they're pretty excessive.

Although ive seen worse.
my problem with the heels is that the character designers for the zero suit specifically didn't want the outfit to have high heels.
MZMZSSE.png
Again, just another reason why I hate Metroid: Other M... and by that I mean, she wore high heels in that:

113px-Zero_Suit_Samus_Other_M_Artwork.png

And Zero Suit Samus's look is based on her Other M look.

Smashgoom202 said:
I LOVED the fake-out in the Super Smash Bros. Direct with Zero Suit Samus! See, THIS is what I meant by Sakurai's trolling nature, he loves to mess with us. Anyway, it's interesting that they wanted to "power [Zero Suit Samus] up" this time around, even though she was technically "higher tier" in Brawl, not to mention the whole point of her character was that she was weak attack-wise by a very fast character. Regardless, those jet boots are cool (no, I don't think it's sexist that they gave Samus high heels, especially since they actually IMPROVE her combat style, so shut up!), plus they got ride of that stupid tether recovery, so I'm glad!

I like Zelda's new down special move, that Phantom Slash looks dang useful, and awesome to boot! Oh, and I guess Sheik is a seperate character now... and they replaced her Chain move it seems. I guess I'm fine with that, the Chain move didn't have that much practical use anyway. the "Bouncing Fish" reminds me of the Flip Jump move Zero Suit Samus had in Brawl.

And FINALLY Yoshi shows up! I guess they were saving him for this. Sakurai said they were working on improving his look, which is why they held off his reveal until now, and I guess I can buy that. The dedication made to actually making the characters LOOK like the games they're from is really great this time around! And at last the original 8 have all been confirmed!

Seeing Charizard all by himself is pretty cool, though I guess this means no Squirtle or Ivysaur, which is a shame... Still, Charizard is pretty badass on his own, and it's cool to finally see him playable on his own.
Walking in high heels, much less fighting in them, can be dangerous. I really want Squirtle and Ivysaur back, but no chance for Red to pop up again.
waiting for falcon so i can punch people

Smashgoom202 said:
Again, just another reason why I hate Metroid: Other M... and by that I mean, she wore high heels in that:

113px-Zero_Suit_Samus_Other_M_Artwork.png

And Zero Suit Samus's look is based on her Other M look.
Just seeing high heels in general, especially in a fighting game, pisses me off. I can imagine her fracturing her feet because of a misstep. It's cringing. Yes, I am also annoyed by Peach having high heels, but again, she's just a ninny anyway.

My rule: when the female characters don't cut it, use the fat plumber guy.

Misty said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Walking in high heels, much less fighting in them, can be dangerous.
Yeah... then again, I'm sure getting kicked by someone in high-heels must hurt pretty badly! ESPECIALLY if they have jets on them!

Smashgoom202 said:
Yeah... then again, I'm sure getting kicked by someone in high-heels must hurt pretty badly! ESPECIALLY if they have jets on them!
Sure, but the lady has to actually catch up to you first if you're running away.

Nick Fury said:
Peach having high heels in Smash is justified because that's what she has in the main games.
I suppose so, but it's still lame.

I actually like Zero Suit Samus' new look a lot. The high heels make her look sexier. I don't care if it's sexist or non-practical. She looks awesome.

Anser said:
I actually like Zero Suit Samus' new look a lot. The high heels make her look sexier. I don't care if it's sexist or non-practical. She looks awesome.
And besides, tripping has been removed, so that's not an issue.

Anser said:

There's nothing wrong with viewing someone as sexy because of how they dress. That's completely normal and human.

i dont mind heels in general but really large heels is kind out of place, i mean zss's in ssb4 arent even that bad, or at least as bad as ive seen in other forms of entertainment.

Anser said:
It kind of bothers me that you don't care if it's sexist or non-practical. What's your opinion on scantily dressed women with out-of-proportion breasts designed for battling? I don't think high heels or that look awesome; it looks incredibly stupid.

Zae Eildus said:
i dont mind heels in general but really large heels is kind out of place, i mean zss's in ssb4 arent even that bad, or at least as bad as ive seen in other forms of entertainment.
It may be mild, but it's still there, and it sucks that it's there. Especially considering that the original designers did not want that, it really sucks that it's there.

chillv said:
Anser said:

There's nothing wrong with viewing someone as sexy because of how they dress. That's completely normal and human.
There is something wrong if high-heels make a woman sexy, but debilitating; it reminds me of foot-binding. It's considered "sexy" at the time, but the woman's foot bones are heavily compromised. It is a bit extreme, but I can make the analogy nevertheless. It's not normal and human to view debilitated women as "sexy"; it's misogynistic.

yeah i know its annoying, especially to girls, but not much can be done about it.

Crocodile Dippy said:
MZMZSSE.png
also that weird quote about the buttox

I don't think it is referring to that area specifically, especially when all the other arrows are away from Zero Suit Samus's body.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Anser said:
It kind of bothers me that you don't care if it's sexist or non-practical. What's your opinion on scantily dressed women with out-of-proportion breasts designed for battling? I don't think high heels or that look awesome; it looks incredibly stupid.

It's just that I find it a little bit nitpicky, and that's saying a lot coming from me: the nitpickiest person this planet has seen being born. It's just a videogame, so I don't care if it's practical for her or not. It's not supposed to be realistic. It's not like wearing high heels will make her trip, or might make her break her leg so she won't be able to battle anymore. They also make her look more elegant. I don't think they exaggerated the sexual part too much either. We all know Samus is a voluptuous woman, so I don't think it makes sense to reduce her features. It could be much worse, you know. Have you seen the women from Mortal Kombat? Now THAT'S an exaggeration and an over-sexualization of women.

Besides, Peach has worn heels for battling for two times in a row, and she was driven cars wearing them too, and I think I haven't seen one complaint about that yet. If we're going to discuss about how practical characters' attires are, Peach gets the award for the least practical of all. Battling in a dress? That sure is non-practical. Same goes for Zelda.

Back