KING MARIO´S REPORT: The Mystery of Mario "Canon" (Large Topic)

KingMario128

Hi Guys!
KING MARIO´S REPORT:
The Mystery of Mario "Canon"

A Mario Canon exist?, a silly question i know, Shiggy (Shigeru Miyamoto) himself has replied that Mario has no continuity and in this way he can do anything with the franchise, most gamers people don´t believe that a mario canon exists because the lack of story in the games, unlike other games like zelda who has an extend timeline, or sonic who is a cartoon character as well but it has a continuity (a very screwed one but at least has one), but us the Mario fans know that maybe there´s something about the possible and laughable existence of a Mario Canon.

But now, if there´s one, what games are canon and what games are not?

That´s a very good question, and a difficult one, there´s 3 points to clarify, we can said to eliminate all spin-offs and make all the platforms game canon and ta-dah, here is you chronology...but here is enter the very first point:

1.-NOT ALL MARIO PLATFORMS ARE CANON AT ALL
This points is a very harsh one, aside NSLU that its more an expantion pack that a standalone game, but i based this point in the 25th anniversary video that Nintendo released some years ago, we can see what titles are representate in the video. (this is the JAPANESE video, the USA one is the same but without Lost Levels)

Now...without count the new games from 2011 and beyond, what is missing here?...of course, Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2, so this means they aren´t canon, WHY?, because this games weren´t made be Shiggy, that´s why they are so different, so if they aren´t canon, why Daisy and Wario appers in the spin offs?, its because that, they are spin-off characters, they were create be Gupei Yokoi, Miyamoto mentor, after his death, Wario & Daisy reappears as spinoff characters in mario games in his honor.

Now...Daisy its mostly an Spin-Off character in this point...but Wario its another interesting story, he has 2 series, Wario Land that its a platform game and Wario Ware, that its a party game, meanwhile WL series gets away from Mario Series, Wario Ware featuare Mario in some microgames having some sort of interaction with wario, at same time, Wario appers in Yoshi Island DS, a CANON game in the Mario Universe.

In the bright side that was 2010, today, we had Super Mario Land and SML2 in 3DS, a SML2 Reference in PM:SS, a game with Miyamoto ultimate supervision and coming soon, a plot without Peach getting kindap, what means, more plot for the games and more characters to fill places...what the future can bring us?, the second point.

2.- ALL SPIN-OFFS GAMES ARE BASED IN A MAIN MARIO GAME
Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, all have something in common, they have elements from mario main games, if we see Mario Kart series, all the tracks are based in levels from Mario Games, SMK -> SMW, MK64->SM64 , MK:DD-> SMS, MK:Wii - > NSMB, Galaxy...they are based in mario games, but they aren´t canon at all, because is odd to see baby mario in a race along Mario while the are throwing a blue shell to baby luigi who has beat peach in the 1st place position...and without kill him...its odd, the Mario Tennis series has some RPG elements, Story and all-new characters, but still, its odd see Mario along normal humans, and most characters are own be Cameloft, like Geno with Square-Enix, and the parties series are odd too...even more, some MP aren´t based in main mario games at all and its weird and don´t feel like a mario game at times...interesting MP9 feels more canon that any MP so far, we havent any party exclusive character, the plot its very basic and credible, its more like and adventure that a party, and have mario worlds in it but sadly still an spin-off game and wasn´t well received so far.

Yes, Luigi said in paper mario that he loves go to parties, tennis, karting and golf with mario, but that means that mario actually do golf, tennis, karting and parties...and this is the third point:

3.- GAMES WITH THIER OWN IDENTITY ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE CANON
Yes i said some MP aren´t based in mario games, but, they didn´t feel like a mario game and the odd cast of characters make it harder to believe that is a mario game (koopa kid, boo, dry bones), when i talking about thiere own identity, i refer to Mario RPGs, the sister series, Luigis Mansion and MvsDK.

Sister Series:
DK and Yoshi mostly, Miyamoto said in an interview that Yoshi Island is "canon" in Mario Series (he said its PART of mario series) making Yoshi Island DS canon along Wario, and the DK series are representante in spin-off so it can mean they are canon in Mario universe, Wario is canon in Mario Universe but Wario´s Slaves Friends so far are spin-off characters, Yoshi is a sub-series of Mario Series , and DK its mostly and extention of Mario, we need more Wario material in Mario games to consider Wario CANON in the mario series.

MvsDK:
Why DK its canon in Mario Series?, becuase MvsDK games, so far they are the link that connects both series, and it can consider not canon for someones, but the recent "Princess Puzzle" in Street Pass, reveals Pauline with her MvsDK look along Rosalina, Peach, Toon Zelda and Zelda SS, not Daisy sadly (more proof of she being spin-off only) so, yes she is canon along DK.

RPGs
This its a little more sensible theme because the recent events in both Mario Series and this board...so, are the RPGs canon?, my own personal answer is...someones, look, i love the rpg marios, they SMRGP and PM were my very first RPGs ever, but the true its, Shiggy dont like stories in Mario Games, he didn´t like how Bowser was portrayed in PM games, and he was the responsible for the lack of story in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and of course Paper Mario Sticker Star.

So...what RPGs are "canon"?...so far, Paper Mario, Paper Mario TTYD, PM: SS and all M&L Series so far, why SMRPG and SPM aren´t canon at all? because the lack of mention of both games in future games, Square Enix owns MOST SMRPG elements, and SPM wasn´t popular enough in japan, they dislike the story so in PM:SS Shiggy remove the story in the game to focus in the "gameplay", well i would can said PM:SS so far its the only canon because Miyamoto, but, the problem for him are the connections, M&L SSS is canon because the Bean People appers in PM TTYD, PMTYD its canon because the mention of both Gombella and Parakarty in PM:SS, M&L PiT its canon because Baby Peach reappers in Yoshi Island DS, M&L BIS its canon because M&L SSS direct connection and because Shiggy loved Bowser in this game, and M&L DT will be canon because the YEAR OF LUIGI, and finally, Paper Mario is canon because the direct reference to Luigi´s Mansion in the game.

Why nintendo hasn´t use RPGs characters in mario games so far?...i think its very simple...they don´t want Mario becomes the NEW SONIC for the side characters, its an unfair comparition, but if nintendo let too many characters reappers in Mario Games, we are going to have a Side-Character problem here, and it could be bigger that Sonic´s.

Luigi´s Mansion Games
100% porcent canon, not doubt, why?, because they where supervised directly be Shiggy, because they refer directly to Mario Games in general, because King Boo remembers all in LM: Dark Moon (some bonus points for the parties, karts, etc non canon, becuase king boo never refer them and he said he just escape from the painting, and yes, the king boo from spin-offs and the one from luigis are the same, but the spin-off king boo hasn´t his power diamond and that´s why he looks normal), and was the started game for the year of luigi, so, why don´t make canon luigis best adventure?, and more evidence...king boo makes a cameo in NSLU, if that isn´t a evidence i dont know what is.

King´s Final Though
With all this i would like to make a full list with the canon games, but, im tired because this topic, but i will said something more...without add the DK Series the possible timeline or canon list can be like this.

YI
YIDS
M&L:PiT
YS
MarioBros
DK96
SMB
SMB LL
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
SM64
PM
LM
SMS
M&LSSS
MvsDK
PM TTYD
M&L PiT
NSMB
MvsDK2
SMG
M&LBiS
MvsDKMMA
NSMBWii
SMG2
MvsDK:MLM
SM3DLand
NSMB2
PM:SS
NSMBU
LM:DM

This is the list without the DK games and Without Wario games...so...what did you think? what is your opinion? this was KING MARIO 128 see ya

TL;DR: See King Final Though for a posible Mario Timeline/Canon Games List

I don't understand your point I detest the theory that all Mario games are not canonical.

My simple thought is that Mario games are just connected... and that's it. I don't it needs an elaborate tapestry of a timeline, unlike in the Link games.

I don't know about where you put the Mario vs. Donkey Kong games, as Pauline appears in those games. I'd put them before DK '94.

bar Yoshi's Island I just treat the order of game releases as the order of the events happening

Too long, didn't read
Joking aside, why do you think there is a unifying canon in the mario series? The games have repeatedly contradicted themselves. You listed M&L Partners in Time as being canon as well as Bowser's Inside Story. These games have completely different versions of the Mushroom Kingdom, and no characters remark on this change. The same can be said for many other mario games. I believe that they are all "connected" in some way, but not in the same universe. But then again, to each man his own opinion.

Back