Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii

Okay, so if I were to play this game, using the simplest method as mentioned on the Newer site, if I were to turn it off during the game playing, would the Wii go back to the way it was before playing or could it break it.

SKmarioman said:
Okay, so if I were to play this game, using the simplest method as mentioned on the Newer site, if I were to turn it off during the game playing, would the Wii go back to the way it was before playing or could it break it.

It would go back to the way it was before playing. All you're essentially doing is tricking the Wii into reading some custom files. Remove the trick and it should work the way it should. It's simply a patch.

So how long is the game supposed to be? I'm half-way through World 2 and I'm just wondering if there's extra worlds or something like that.

Now for a short story of me trying to play this:
Right, so I tried to play this using the method that doesn't require the homebrew channel, but it almost stuffed up my Wii.

Now, knowing that my warranty would have expired years ago, I finally found the courage to insert that SD card in, I load up Letterbomb, that white text comes up as it should, and then...

nothing.

So I waited incase this was supposed to happen, but after five minutes I got impatient and turned of the Wii using the power button on the console (because the newer website has warnings about power outages). I take out the SD card, turn the Wii back on, when I notice that the disc channel comes up with a Gamecube icon. Curious, I click it, the screen cuts to black, and then comes up again like as if I had done a soft reset, the disc channel appears normal, but I can't click anything on the screen, and pressing the Home button comes up with the icon that I can't go to the home menu.

I was genuinely freaked out at this point. Then suddenly the Wii shut itself off. I waited, it didn't magically reboot itself. So I turned it back on myself, everything came up as it should, nothing glitched up. I kept doing hard resets just to make sure, and it still looked like nothing had happened and everything seemed fine.

So, as much as I would still like to play this mod, after this experience, I don't think I ever will.

Guess I'll just have to watch the let's play over at WiiRikeToPray.

Update: Ugh... now I got this feeling that my Wii is permanently unstable. For some reason, I tried to turn the Wii off using the power button on the Wiimote, I was on the Home menu while doing this, and it didn't turn off. So I reconnected the Wiimote using the A button like you should, and I was controlling the *bleep*ing Wii Menu, while the Home menu was open, then the system shut itself off.

It hasn't happened again after this, I've been able to turn the Wii off and on fine with the Wiimote.

Yeah, mine crashed twice before I was able to get it to work. Worth it though.

WiiRikeToPray is a pretty good idea if you don't want to play it though, I watched the first two worlds before I decided to get it myself.

Crackin355 said:
So how long is the game supposed to be? I'm half-way through World 2 and I'm just wondering if there's extra worlds or something like that.
There are eight normal worlds (1-8) and five secret worlds (A-E), collecting all the Star Coins in those worlds will unlock the Special World (9).

Once I 100% this game, I'll play it again in Hard Mode.

Okay so, I've encountered a problem. Two levels in Mushroom Peak (Bubble Basin & Slanty Shroomroad) are the exact same. I thought something was fishy when Bubble Basin's preview had a Cheep Chomp but it showed up nowhere in the level. What has me even more worried is theres a pipe next to the level that hints at a secret exit, but because it's glitched I don't think I can possibly reach that pipe.

Is there anything important in that pipe? If its a secret world then it's impossible for me to 100% this game. If it's a Blue Switch then thats also equally bad.

Did anybody else encounter a problem like this for that level?

Yeah, it's a known issue in the 1.01 update.

Download 03-06.zip and save it over "03-06.arc.LH" (You should find it in "SD Card\NewerSMBW\Stages'')

Also, that pipe is not the entrance to a secret world, it's actually the exit.

SKmarioman said:
Update: Ugh... now I got this feeling that my Wii is permanently unstable. For some reason, I tried to turn the Wii off using the power button on the Wiimote, I was on the Home menu while doing this, and it didn't turn off. So I reconnected the Wiimote using the A button like you should, and I was controlling the *bleep*ing Wii Menu, while the Home menu was open, then the system shut itself off.

It hasn't happened again after this, I've been able to turn the Wii off and on fine with the Wiimote.

You shouldn't really be worried about this, since the chances of softmods bricking your Wii is extremely slim. Nobody has reported a brick from the Homebrew installation, so again, you shouldn't be worried.

I believe that they have fixed most of the errors/glitches such as the bubble basin and slanty shroom road being the same, I still have the original version of the hack, I haven't updated it but I have completely 100% the game but supposedly you have to get 5 shining stars, I just have the normal 5 yellow stars? Unless I was wrong on that and I actually don't need 5 shining stars. The only thing is the game doesn't really have a replay feature, when u do a mushroom house it doesn't come back to get more items and when u spend all star coins u can't buy anymore items.

I think you need to finish every level with less than 8 deaths to get sparkling stars, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Vocal Beat said:
I think you need to finish every level with less than 8 deaths to get sparkling stars, but I'm not completely sure about that.
Well. Damn it.
Also edited SWAG.MOV screenshot for your avatar

I just got the last of the Star Coins in Hard Mode. It would be great if Nintendo put a hard mode like this in their games.

I hope the Wii U gets modded like this in the future. Mods are awesome, and it's sad that some people think mods are bad because it's hacking.

I absolutely loved it! It's the reason I jailbroke my Wii.
I loved Sakura Village (since I'm already obsessed with Japan ^_^.) The music and mechanics are really nice. I loved the fact that there's Switch Palaces. Some mechanics I liked include: Custom Bosses, Switch Palace, Boiling Water, Hammer Suit, Shops, Actually Creative World Themes (that aren't Grass-Desert-Beach-Snow-Jungle-Mountain-Sky-Bowser). The NewerSMBW world order is
Beach-Sewer/Desert-Mountain/Cliffside-Sakura-Ice/Cemetery/Ghost/Halloween-Mountain to Sky to Outer Space (with anti-gravity)-Bowser Planet-World 9 (I don't know what World 9 is, since I don't want to spoil it for myself). The bonus worlds are themed Fall (season)-Mini/Mega-Sky/Factory-Cave-World E (again, spoiling it for myself)
All in all, you definitely have to jailbreak your Wii for this!

"Jailbreak" your Wii? What's this I don't even-

Baby Luigi said:
"Jailbreak" your Wii? What's this I don't even-

I think he means that you need to have a working disc drive in order to play the Newer project. Everything about that game involves Riivolution usage.

I'm more familiar with "softmod".

I finally finished the game 100%. I loved every single bit of it. Hard Mode gives great replay value, although I'm not a big fan of it.
Complete World Themes
World 1: Beach/Jungle
World 2: Desert/Sewers
World 3: Mushroom/Mountain
World 4: Ancient Japan
World 5: Ice/Lava
World 6: Graveyard/Halloween/Ghost
World 7: Sky/Space
World 8: Bowser Planet
World 9: Color/Miscellaneous
World A: Maple/Fall
World B: Mini-Mega
World C: Sky/Factory
World D: Poison/Cave/Amethyst
World E: Projectile/Athletic

it's impressive how a small team of hackers are able to make a better project than a full-scale developer with the time and budget to do so

hmmm, i wonder how surprising this actually is...

Back