COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013 [4.7%; lastupdated 2013 Aug 11]

Re: COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013

^ Sure you can join!

I'll call dibs on Super Mario 64 DS in advance, for when I've done all that I can for Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Just to make sure I understand:
I will replace SCREENSHOTS (2-LOW QUALITY) jpg with High quality compressed images

what about:SCREENSHOTS (3-SPECIFIC) what should I do?

Megadardery said:
Just to make sure I understand:
I will replace SCREENSHOTS (2-LOW QUALITY) jpg with High quality compressed images

what about:SCREENSHOTS (3-SPECIFIC) what should I do?
The "specific" entries, for the most part, have certain problems which are indicated beside it. This can include decent quality screenshots which are an incorrect file type (such as .GIF), or if there's a question about the image which needs answering (such as whether it's from a beta build). I hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh and RAP, how would you like File:Bloober.gif to be improved? The sprite animate is the original quality.

Just a question, what exactly does "compress" mean, and do most images have to be replaced that way?

To "compress" an image is to make the file size smaller. We do this for PNG and GIF files so that they take a shorter time to load. JPG files should never be compressed, as they are a lossy file type (meaning they sacrifice quality when compressed). If an image is PNG, then it can just be re-uploaded with a compressed version, rather than replacing the whole file.

A good program which is used to compress PNG images can be seen at User:RAP/PNG.

Megadardery said:
Nice job, I've marked them as complete on the collab.

Megadardery said:
P.S: What is the problem with File:Timed_Hit.PNG?
I think it's because it's not the original size. Either that, or RAP might have wanted a full screenshot. But let's wait until he clarifies it for us, he should see this around at least June 15, as that is when the next progress update is due.

Also Megadardery, may I ask what was the improvement to File:Letter2PM.PNG was? The older revision looked like decent quality and sprite-worthy, while the newer revision looks comparably blurry.

YoshiKong said:
Also Megadardery, may I ask what was the improvement to File:Letter2PM.PNG was? The older revision looked like decent quality and sprite-worthy, while the newer revision looks comparably blurry.
My bad.. The plugin I use always modify the colors to make it better.. BUT I CAN'T STOP IT. I changed it don't worry.
P.S: I will reupload the Images I uploaded because the same problem

YoshiKong said:
EDIT: Oh and RAP, how would you like File:Bloober.gif to be improved? The sprite animate is the original quality.

I think sprites shouldn't have background, even if it was water. But if you want it to have background, you must mark it as a screenshot not as sprite.

Megadardery said:
I think sprites shouldn't have background, even if it was water. But if you want it to have background, you must mark it as a screenshot not as sprite.
I deliberately added the blue colored background, because otherwise it's too difficult to see on a page. Bloobers are only seen with that blue background in-game anyway.

Are we right to leave it, or should it be changed?

I still think it should be without background. However If you want to keep the background, change the licence to "Screenshot".

What is the problem with File:Goompapa.png. And I won't be able to reupload it at all because of the plugins I use. :-\

You could mark File:Cloud_9.PNG, File:Mega_Bomb.PNG and File:PowerBombda.jpg as done, I reuploaded File:Timed Hit.PNG and uploaded File:Not Timed Hit.PNG and added them both to the article.. It is better now, and I think it should be marked as done too.

And also move File:Stanley.PNG, File:Igor'sShopPM.png, File:KolaradoPMKoopaVillage.png, File:BubblePlant.png, File:KoloradoTreasure.png File:Dane_T..PNG and File:RosiePM.png to SCREENSHOTS (2-LOW QUALITY) because all of them are taken using the plugin that makes the border smother.

Isn't it possible to remove the background in the actual image and add a blue background in the article with some code? That way it would be the original quality, but still visible.

I think it is possible. And I will take a look and see if I could do something.

Megadardery said:
You could mark File:Cloud_9.PNG, File:Mega_Bomb.PNG and File:PowerBombda.jpg as done, I reuploaded File:Timed Hit.PNG and uploaded File:Not Timed Hit.PNG and added them both to the article.. It is better now, and I think it should be marked as done too.
Alrighty, I've marked them off.

Megadardery said:
And also move File:Stanley.PNG, File:Igor'sShopPM.png, File:KolaradoPMKoopaVillage.png, File:BubblePlant.png, File:KoloradoTreasure.png File:Dane_T..PNG and File:RosiePM.png to SCREENSHOTS (2-LOW QUALITY) because all of them are taken using the plugin that makes the border smother.

What is the problem with File:Goompapa.png. And I won't be able to reupload it at all because of the plugins I use. :-\
Your best bet is to consult RAP about these.

Banon said:
Isn't it possible to remove the background in the actual image and add a blue background in the article with some code? That way it would be the original quality, but still visible.
Yes, it is. I removed the blue background from File:Bloober.gif, and added back the blue in places such as this.

Good Work. I will see if I could do something else.

EDIT: Alright get rid of the first column in Paper Mario section (Except for File:Chompy.PNG). But don't forget to delete all jpg files.

EDIT2:add File:Blooperfight.jpeg to the list.

Megadardery said:
EDIT: Alright get rid of the first column in Paper Mario section (Except for File:Chompy.PNG). But don't forget to delete all jpg files.
Done. Though, next time please remember to tag the images for deletion and link to the new files, because it makes it easier if I don't have to find the new files myself.

Megadardery said:
EDIT2:add File:Blooperfight.jpeg to the list.
I don't think RAP wanted any entries to be added. See here.

YoshiKong said:
Done. Though, next time please remember to tag the images for deletion and link to the new files, because it makes it easier if I don't have to find the new files myself.
Sorry, I was in a rush because it was late. Sorry again, I won't do that again.
YoshiKong said:
I don't think RAP wanted any entries to be added. See here.
No prob. I may fix it If I happen to reset the game and try it all over.. because I already finished it all and I'm taking screen shots from the complete save file.
EDIT: File:ShiverCity.jpg is unused in the mainspace it is only used into User:Egg Yoshi. And I think it was replaced by File:ShiverCity-Area1.PNG.
EDIT2: Alright, get rid of the second column, don't forget to delete all jpg images.
EDIT3: Get rid of File:PM_Injured.JPG too, It was replaced with File:Injured.png. but it was kept for 'shroom usage.

Ok, since no one checked the database.. Here is the new checkup:

User:RAP/test : 4 out of 378
User:RAP/test2 : 5 out of 361
User:RAP/test3 : 48 out of 2431

57 out of 3170

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the new percent
:mario: 1.8% :mario:

congratiolation to everyone in this big project, and big thanks goes to RAP how started the whole thing.
Now let's continue.

I would help, and I certainly have the time to, but I have to way of actually getting any HQ screenshots of anything, and I am not about to go into emulators for that. If I manage to get a capture board for my 3DS or a better capture card than the one I currently have (the image quality on it is by no means great, but better than pointing a camera at a screen) then I may help, but only really with DS and 3DS since I don't know how the EGCHD handles non-HD inputs.

If only YouTube could play videos at perfect quality...

Ha, if only YouTube can procure perfect quality. But unfortunately, uploading to the site distorts the resolution, so it would longer look emulated.

The 3DS capture device is fantastic: Yami's work speaks for itself. I respect your decision to avoid using ROMs, but I'm just stating the facts in saying that it's probably the most effectual way to capture high quality screenshots.

The user SWFlash created a user subpage a while back which outlined the best software/techniques to capture the best possible quality screenshots. The page is deleted now, but be can still reach the archived revision which is stored on the server. For users which may require assistance in capturing better quality files, here's the last revision of the page before it was tagged for deletion:

(show/hide) Deleted revision of User:SWFlash/Screenshots (as of March 28, 2011, at 11:01) by SWFlash (talk | contribs | block):
{{DISPLAYTITLE:How to take screenshots}}
This article will help you to take screenshot with good quality.
==Preparing==
*Get emulator with TAS tools, like savestates, slowdown, frame advance, etc.
*Get ROM of the game you'd like to take screenshot.
*Get painting program, other than MS Paint.
==Emulators==
Emulators I recomended. To get it use your favorite search engine.
===[[NES]]===
*FCEUltra
*FCEUX
===[[SNES]]===
*Snes9x
===[[N64]]===
*Mupen64
*Project64
:For those emulators you'll need good video plugin, like...
:*Glide64
===[[GB]], [[GBC]] and [[GBA]]===
*Visual Boy Advance Rerecording
===[[GCN]] and [[Wii]]===
*Dolphin
===[[NDS]]===
*DeSmuMe
==Roms==
*Get roms youself. Use your favorite site(s), or search in Google if you don't know any.
==Image editors==
Your image must be in good quality to upload. Tools I recommended listed below.
===[[Wikipedia:PNG|PNG]]===
*Photoshop
*Paint.NET
*GIMP
===Animated [[Wikipedia:GIF|GIF]]===
*Photoshop+Image Ready
*(any)+Microsoft GIF Animator
==How to==
Be sure that the moment you want to shot is exist. Open emulator, open ROM with it, get to "The Moment". Make a savestate few seconds before "The Moment", slowdown or frame advance, if "The Moment" is hard to get. To shot, press Alt+PrintScreen. If you missed that, load savestate and try again. After that, go to your favorite painting program, paste, edit (if needed), save, and upload to wiki!

==Extra tools==
Sometimes, even on emulator, pictures are in bad quality. You can rip them by expanding ROM with extrernal tools.
===NES, GB, GBC===
*YY-CHR
:Every image is listed here as is, nothing (even mess with game data) weren't touched.
===SNES===
*Lunar Magic + YY-CHR
:Somewhere in this game editor you can export some graphic data, then open with YY-CHR. For SMW only.
===N64===
*Glide64
:Video plugin that has feature to rip images when pressing "D" (activated in settings). Used to make hi-res retexturing, but can be also used for ripping. Some images must be joined, because N64 has indeed poor texturing system.
*Toad's Tool 64
:TT64 is game editor for Super Mario 64, has texture swapping feature.
===GCN and Wii===
If you ever configured Dolphin, you must know, but specially for you I'll tell:

Go to Graphics Configuration of Open GL/DX 9/DX 11 > Advanced > Utility > Dump Textures.

Only new textures will dump and they will save to:

(Dolphin path)\User\Dump\Textures\(random nonsense)\(random nonsense).png, enabling "huge icons" requed. By the way: games like NSMBW uses .tga files instead of .png, so be ready to open them!

===GBA===
*Yoshi Magic
:Yoshi Magic is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga editor. You can use Eneny Editor until Sprite Viewer will be fixed. Also the GIFs from Sprites and Battle Backgroung folders can do the same.

===NDS===
*I really got no idea! At all! Seriously! Some guys ripping from here but for me it's a mystery… [[User talk:SWFlash/Screenshots|Leave a comment]] to help me out.

===Programs===
*Res hacker

Also this was the talk page content, which has some additional info:

(show/hide) Deleted revision of User talk:SWFlash/Screenshots (as of November 10, 2011, at 17:51) by Yoshidude99 (talk | contribs | block):
==DeSmuMe==
I've tried using it before only to be met with instant lag when I get onto it, is it natural, do I wait a few minutes or what? {{User:Garlic Stapler/sig}}
:Like most of the emulators it needs to be customized. In memu, go to Config > Frame skip > Check "Auto-minimize skipping" (checked by default) and "3". Find BIOSes and put them in Config > Emulation settings > BIOS, check "Use external BIOS images", "Path DelayLoop SWI" and select files "biosnds7.rom" and "biosnds9.rom" (not included with DeSmuMe). Also in Config > 3D Settings disable "Unrealisticaly High-Nonsence". It just must help. {{User:SWFlash/Sig}}

Hey I use DeSmuMe SW Flash and to get backgrounds and stuff you go on the tools and view maps.Hope it helps. {{User:Yoshidude99/sig}}

I hope this may be of assistance.

Hi guys, semester's done. My time is free now. Skimming the new posts, it appears there's some discussion on more people participating. Reply time!

YoshiKong said:
RAP said:
I still have yet to decide how it should be placed. The determining factor is how the files are displayed in a search by default, and the balance between images of the general topic, and files (like say image files of Mario from various games, and image files of Mario Party 5 mini-games); that's going to be the interesting part. I can do the file renaming myself if you guys (referring to the staff) do not mind. I don't want to stress myself over this keeping that in mind.
So are you referring to file consistencies amongst the same subject? Sorry, I don't quite follow.

I should try to clarify this since I typed that up very late at night:

The reason why I'm undecided on which position should <subject> and <title acronym> be under is because of how it would be shown during a search where the entries are in alphabetical order. Two of them are Special:PrefixIndex (search by using a keyword), and Special:AllPages. The former only matches the keyword to the left side. If say I typed "NSMBU", it only brings up results starting with those keywords to the left; results such as File:GoombaNSMBU.png won't appear at all. For the latter, it's more expanded and includes entries that are not strictly under the keyword "NSMBU; with the next one being File:NSMBW-Airship.ogg.

However, tonight; I found out Special:Search. I just forgot that this feature is a thing because utilizing search engines is more convenient. Under checkmarking "File" in the filtering section, Searching "NSMBU" once more actually brings up anything with "NSMBU"; bringing up entries such as File:Nsmbu-boostrushtrailer-690x388.jpg, File:Boom Boom NSMBU Model.png, and File:New_and_Old_NSMBU_Pipes.png. I wasn't sure if the thing is accurate or if it captured all the entries, so I typed up "MP7" and checked images from Category:Mario Party 7 Images; and found File:Balloonatic_MP7.png. Very odd indeed.

I could be just obsessing over one minor thing; but personally it just makes me weird out of seeing entries mixed around, considering that I stuck my mind into a database of images during my time in the wiki back then. This also acts as a stance for how it will function for NintendoWiki if such a thing comes up.

Megadardery said:
Ok, since no one checked the database.. Here is the new checkup:

User:RAP/test : 4 out of 378
User:RAP/test2 : 5 out of 361
User:RAP/test3 : 48 out of 2431

57 out of 3170

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the new percent
:mario: 1.8% :mario:

congratiolation to everyone in this big project, and big thanks goes to RAP how started the whole thing.
Now let's continue.

Welcome aboard Megadardery, and thanks for performing the update for me. Really appreicated that. I was recently done with my semester and was too busy cleaning up stuff at the time. I'll be updating the stuff on both hubs shortly. The next update is around June 30, which is on a Sunday. Progress will be updated twice a month.

Anyway guys, I'll be working on another wiki collaboration that's still going, and still not much touched; Mario Party series information relocation. I checked back and it appears no one's taking up the offer. I'll be working hard on this, and upping the process as much as possible. You can see my progress in Special:RecentChanges or Special:Contributions/RAP.

• A major oversight!
    • Time for another checkup.
    • After checking all the pages, I realized I made a major oversight by not including test0 (User:RAP/test0).
    • I covered test (User:RAP/test), test2 (User:RAP/test2), and test3 (User:RAP/test3), but not test0!
    • Adding test0 will add in the remaining total crossed out images and all the images.
    • Results
      • Adding in test0 now, here are the results:
      • test0 (User:RAP/test0) - 3 out of 385
      • test (User:RAP/test) - 4 out of 378
      • test2 (User:RAP/test2) - 5 out of 361
      • test3 (User:RAP/test3) - 82 out of 2431
      • The previous total images is 3170.
      • Adding test0's 385 images results in: 3555 total images.
      • The previous total images crossed out is: 57 out of 3170
      • The new total images crossed out is: 94 out of 3555
      • The previous percentage is: 1.8 percent
      • The percentage without test0 is: 2.9 percent
      • The new final percentage is: 2.6 percent
      • Notes
        • Next check up is 2013 Jul 31!
        • Checkups will be monthy instead of bi-monthly.
        • This is due to steady progress on the amount of entries being crossed out.

Re: COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013 [2.6%; lastupdated 2013 Jul 03]

Why don't you move all of them to User_talk namespace? So anyone in the project could easily update it, don't worry. Vandals do not occur in User_talk very much!

Re: COLLABORATION: Image replace-a-thon 2010 of 2013 [2.6%; lastupdated 2013 Jul 03]

New Super Mario Bros.

P.S: To admin(s). Either use File:Megaeel.jpg and/or File:CheepCheep.jpg or delete them.

P.S.S: Since it is too late, i won't be able to continue this work. Could you leave New Super Mario Bros. job for me? I will finish it by this week. Hm?

It is very late, so sleepy, 3:00 AM at my end. Gotta go.

ATTENTION:
Paper Mario:
  • File:KoloradoTreasure.png does need a major replace, look at the size. Please move it to SCREENSHOTS (2-LOW QUALITY).
  • Some images will have a really small border because of the text. We remove borders to save space Only if this area isn't filled with anything in the game, and those borders appear on the TV itself.
  • Remove the entire SCREENSHOTS (3-SPECIFIC) except File:Twink.PNG and File:KoloradoTreasure.png)

I'll do that on Thursday or Friday at best. I'm busy working with the people at Lylat Wiki for the time being. Working it now.
EDIT: It appears I can't move userspace pages myself at all. I'm gonna have to ask someone to do so. Will make an edit on this post for result.
EDIT 2: Done. I just manually copied the content into a new page instead of asking an admin. Will edit the links in the forum hub; already done that with the wiki hub.
EDIT 3: Done with forum hub. Both hubs now have the correct links. The previous pages will be blanked.

Back