Your opinion on Super Paper Mario

NSY

Celestial Guide
Super Paper Mario is one of those games where some like it and some hate it.

In my opinion, I like it, it had great plot, the puzzles were much harder than the last game and that while the gameplay changed, it actually did it in a good way. (mind that the 3D controls suck)

What's your opinion?

It's not that I hated it, it's missing the Paper Mario feel, that's all.
I mean, it feels more cyber, and everything's Real Time Based.

I think the plot wasn't anything special for me and most of the game was boring. However, I liked the gameplay.

[quote author=something I wrote elsewhere]I found Super Paper Mario playable. It's not offensive in any respect, but apart from a few nuggets of genuine wit, it's not very inspiring either and it suffers from the comparison with its excellent predecessor.

*TTYD had a great opening. Short (for a JRPG), to the point, and introduced the basics of combat well. Now, you'd expect a platform game (albeit one with JRPG influences) to be even more concise. Instead, you get fifteen minutes of inane dialogues and cutscenes with barely any interactivity.
*The platformer elements are not very good on their own and often conflict with the RPG bits. The Hub is a lot more tedious to navigate with a flat view, most of the non-health recovery item are even more useless than they already are in the RPGs, etc. Last Battle had a better implementation of RPG elements.
*In part due to the above, there's no tension or challenge. Enemies are for the most part slow and passive, obstacles are sparse and don't do much damage in a game where you can take ton of punishment and recover easily, etc.
*Why is an entire button wasted on displaying the controls? Could've been used to cycle Pixls or something.
*The 3D flip mechanics. Nearly every puzzles up to the part I played (the town segment after Chapter 4) consisted of "Flip to 3D when the room looks empty and jump to hidden platform/hit object".
*Mario platformers (apart from Yoshi's Island) never had strong boss battles, but the poor quality of SPM's encounters struck me for some reason. The first end-of-chapter boss is especially impressive in its inanity- most of the battle is spent watching it flying in the background not doing anything, the few attacks it *does* have are very easy to avoid, and the one kind-of-clever thing he does (attacking you from sideway), your hint fairy pauses the game to tell you exactly how to avoid the attack. Every time it happens.[/quote]

I loved it. Because:

Walkazo (elsewhere) said:
Tonnes of Bowser, an entire world based on the Greek underworld and the Divine Comedy, lots of plot (with some refreshingly somber elements), interesting NPCs, lots of extra backstory stuff (the Pixl uprising, etc.), and I personally preferred the sidescrolling to tedious turn-based battles and level-grinding...

In other words, I'm a plot junkie, so I loved how there was tonnes of dialogue-heavy cutscenes and easy-peasy gameplay that let you get between said cutscenes quickly and painlessly. But I agree that the interface could have used some work (I hated the Tippi pointing stuff), and the constant 3D stuff got old - it would have at least been more interesting if all the characters could flip and you had to combine their unique powers (i.e. direct Bowser's flames in 3D, or deal with depth when trying to float around with Peach). Also, while Rogueport did have more personality than Flip/Flopside, I maintain that The Underwhere is by far the most intriguing world produced by a Mario RPG.

I find that it's a great game in its own right, but as a sequel... It just doesn't feel the same as its predecessors. It doesn't have the same charm that the last two carried with it, and while it has its own charm to it, I think I prefer what was originally laid out.

Beautiful game. It had unique characters with lots of personality, amazing storyline, and I don't see why it gets so much hate. True, it isn't a turn-based RPG like its predecessors. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has nods to retro games, especially in Chapter 3, and I've probably replayed it ten or more times. The main story isn't too challenging, and it's possible without a guide. The sidequests could be better, but for the most part, it's a great game. I recommend it, 10/10.

"It was the greatest video game ever created and anybody who disagrees is both wrong and a hideous pig monster who nobody will ever love"
Thomas Jefferson

Lord Spongeful said:
Beautiful game. It had unique characters with lots of personality, amazing storyline, and I don't see why it gets so much hate. True, it isn't a turn-based RPG like its predecessors. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has nods to retro games, especially in Chapter 3, and I've probably replayed it ten or more times. The main story isn't too challenging, and it's possible without a guide. The sidequests could be better, but for the most part, it's a great game. I recommend it, 10/10.
Pretty much this. Although, I'm not sure if I'd give it a ten out of ten, exactly, due to the lack of difficulty in most of the boss battles, but other than that, it was a pretty solid game. I consider it to be an underrated masterpiece.

It's a good game, with a good storyline, HILARIOUS dialogue, and decent gameplay. Then again, I think it should have been completely RPG like its predecessors and the battles should have been turn-based. That would have been perfect.

the game was insanely easy, the sidequests were awful, the pixls were basically Zelda dungeon items and had nearly no dialogue, and the plot is incredibly overrated

it was a good game, but the fact that it wasn't great and that it came after TTYD made it feel sorely lacking

also some parts of the game were just tedious (The 100 Sammer Duel thingy, Mimi's Rupee thingy)

Gundam Tanaka said:
also some parts of the game were just tedious (The 100 Sammer Duel thingy, Mimi's Rupee thingy)

Only if you tried to get 1,000,000 Rubees the "legit" way.

Super Paper Mario was and is one of my favorite Wii games. It remains the Paper Mario I've replayed most often, and I enjoyed the change in gameplay (aside from the over-reliance on Mario's flip) from the turn-based battle system of the previous games. I also feel as though SPM put more effort into making the characters with whom you interact memorable compared to its predecessor (the only one that stands out from that game is Rawk Hawk, to be honest). The Pixls are the exception to that, since they were essentially items, but I preferred them that way (after two games with partners, I appreciated that SPM wasn't more of the same (a reason I like Sticker Star).

Also, the music was rather bland, I think. I haven't played it in a long time, but the only thing that stuck out to me was The Ultimate Show.
Mario4Ever said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

Only if you tried to get 1,000,000 Rubees the "legit" way.
Even so, you were still required to spend a good five or so minutes earning Rubees the legit way.

I thought the game was great! The gameplay was amazing, and the story was even better. There's tons of other stuff I liked about it too.

Gundam Tanaka said:
the game was insanely easy, the sidequests were awful, the pixls were basically Zelda dungeon items and had nearly no dialogue, and the plot is incredibly overrated

Overrated?

No. TTYD's plot was overrated. Seriously, out of all the plots in the PM series, I think that TTYD had the most lacking of the plots - well, before Sticker Star came out. This plot was the most original out of all the PM games, did not involve Peach getting kidnapped by Bowser, had many twists and turns that weren't really predictable (you wouldn't have thought that a dimension would get sucked up into the void when you were playing the first time), and the very dynamic characters as the game progressed. Literally, Tippi and Bleck's characters were really awesome, and how they advanced through the game made it even better. Don't even get me started on Dimentio. Lord Grodus and the Shadow Sirens could not compare to the unpredictable Dimentio who actually killed the heroes and betrayed all his fellow men in order to have control over the Chaos Heart. I mean literally, Dimentio was the ones pulling the strings in the game, and it was so unique of a Mario character to be that demented like Dimentio was.

There was just a lot going on in that game, and though the gameplay was definitely not as good as TTYD's gameplay, I'm still a little disappointed in TTYD's game where the only dynamic characters were Vivian and TEC, which barely changed over the game. And the big "they are going to" thing with Peach's last message and then come to find out that all it required was to use her body was kind of anti-climatic in a way. My problem with TTYD was the fact that it was all very predictable, and there wasn't really anything that you wouldn't have figured out ahead of time. Like you find out who the final boss is by Chapter 4 because of Peach and TEC, and basically you already know what the next place will be. With SPM, you had no idea that you would be in the Underwhere or that it was going to be the Chapter 7 location until Chapter 7 came about, but I mean, yes, that was pretty predictable when you got there, but at least you were surprised a bit in SPM and that there were things in that game that you weren't expecting.

I'm not going to say that TTYD's story was fantastic. But SPM's story was kinda eh. It was better than what we're used to, but we're used to BOWSER KIDNAPS PRINCESS PEACH - AGAIN!

Princess Peach didn't get kidnapped by Bowser in TTYD, either.

The twists weren't exactly predictable, they just didn't feel like plot twists. There was no reason to think that a dimension wouldn't get sucked up into a void.

Tippi and Bleck had pretty much nothing to them besides a stereotypical tragic backstory and it was obvious from a mile away that they were Timpani and Blumiere. Dimentio's thing would have been shocking if a) he hadn't told us already that he planned on overthrowing Bleck and b) he was never evil in the first place. Why should I be shocked that an evil guy does something evil?

let's face it BMB no one expected peach to be the final boss

and it didn't matter that the plot was predictable. they didn't need a big fancy plot to hold up the game because it was already awesome

Gundam Tanaka said:
I'm not going to say that TTYD's story was fantastic. But SPM's story was kinda eh. It was better than what we're used to, but we're used to BOWSER KIDNAPS PRINCESS PEACH - AGAIN!

Princess Peach didn't get kidnapped by Bowser in TTYD, either.

The twists weren't exactly predictable, they just didn't feel like plot twists. There was no reason to think that a dimension wouldn't get sucked up into a void.

Tippi and Bleck had pretty much nothing to them besides a stereotypical tragic backstory and it was obvious from a mile away that they were Timpani and Blumiere. Dimentio's thing would have been shocking if a) he hadn't told us already that he planned on overthrowing Bleck and b) he was never evil in the first place. Why should I be shocked that an evil guy does something evil?

let's face it BMB no one expected peach to be the final boss

and it didn't matter that the plot was predictable. they didn't need a big fancy plot to hold up the game because it was already awesome

Actually, it was kind of expected that Peach had to do something with the Final Boss, so yeah, it was pretty predictable.

And with the bad guy thing, yes, because there really hasn't been a bad guy in a Mario game until Dimentio arrived. Seriously, he's the only one that has actually done quite a lot of evil work, and he definitely was just milking the Count Bleck team by tricking Mimi and Mr. L into battling the heroes in Chapter 6. I mean really, he was just using his buddies as the black pawns, and the Heroes as the White Pawns, and just pinning them against each other, and making all the moves, letting the white pawns get upgrades so that they could defeat the black pawns willy-nilly. Seriously, it wasn't until the end that all the pieces of Dimentio's actions really took into effect. You know he was stirring something up throughout the game, and you could tell that he was too easy on the heroes, or helping the heroes when needing, which did make him appear as a good guy for a bit there, but then he just completely tries to kill Bleck and instead knocks out Nastasia, and then sends them to Dimension D, taking over the Chaos Heart with Luigi, and then even when he has been defeated puts a curse on the Chaos Heart so that the worlds will end. It wasn't really even Bleck that wanted the worlds to end like Dimentio did - he just wanted to have the world feel how he felt with the loss of Timpani. Dimentio just manipulated Bleck to use the Chaos Heart so that he could have all the worlds Destroyed and have dominion over all of it.

Now let's look at TTYD. There was the evil gang that had the beatable grunts that appeared all the time. I mean really, Lord Crump was a piece of cake every time, and the worse he did was disguise himself as a random sailor and then tried to attack the group but he didn't do any real damage. Heck, the Puni clan easily stopped him in the Great Tree, along with their minions. All the major threats of TTYD were just jokes. They literally made them jokes. Doopliss fell wherever he went, the Shadow Sirens always were yelling at each other over the stupidest of things, and Lord Crump couldn't even do anything he was sent to do by Grodus. The only two real enemies in the game were Grodus and Shadow Queen, which the Shadow Queen easily got rid of Grodus, and even the Shadow Queen wasn't able to spread the darkness. Hell, the battle between the Shadow Queen and the darkness veiling the land and then the townspeople "wishing" to the Crystal stars to have Mario win and then taking away the final boss' invincibility? Doesn't that sound a bit stereotypical and anticlimatic a bit? Hell, it was basically the same ending as Paper Mario for the 64, since Bowser was invincible, and they needed all the wishes of the Princess and the townspeople to power the Star Spirits to break the invincibilty by the Star Rod. Likewise, it was reused in Sticker Star where Bowser was invincible as well. Granted, I coud say the same about Ultimate Dimentio as the true love of Tippi and Bleck broke his invicibility, but my point was that at least it wasn't as redundent as TTYD made it and how close it was to PM 64. I was just not very impressed by TTYD's plot whatsoever because I felt that they were just throwing in random jokes here and there, and the gag-of-the-chapter like Chapter 5 where all the characters were breaking the fourth wall for basically no reason. I get that they want to have humor, but at least SPM made it more fluid with the jokes and gags.

Xerneas said:
Granted, I could say the same about Ultimate Dimentio as the true love of Tippi and Bleck broke his invincibility

*naegi.jpg*

The Pure Hearts return because of the love Bleck's minions have for him. It has nothing to do with the relationship between Bleck and Tippi (that comes into play after Dimentio's defeat, since that's what destroys the Chaos Heart).

Gundam Tanaka said:

Gundam Tanaka said:
Gundam Tanaka said:

The gameplay was awesome sure, but I'm just saying that it could have been a lot more awesome if it had the plot of SPM. Put TTYD and SPM together and you got one very epic game right there.

It would be like fusing me and Nabber together (jk, lol).

Back