The Nintendo investor meeting and what it means for Mario

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
Amidst the various news and (mostly) non-news resulting for the January Nintendo investor meeting, two things could (should Iwata not resume his proud traditions of saying things and not doing shit) have an interesting impact on the franchise: Nintendo has expressed a willingness to expand character-licensing deals as well as doing more collaborations with third-party developers.

Do you expect more substantial promotional material (such as cartoons, comics... etc) to be produced in the coming years? Do you think there will be more third party-outsourced Mario (as well as Donkey, Wario... etc) games in the future? Do you view such potential developments positively or negatively?

Looks to me like they've already been expanding Mario into everything they can (considering that I more and more see Mario toys and see him on the front of random food boxes), so I don't see this as much of a surprise.

I would certainly love more Mario merchandising.

More Mario things mean more Mario things to consume rather than just video games.

I say that it's a huge plus, and I will be looking forward to whatever.

It'd be pretty cool if this meant we'd see the series branch out like it did in the 90s, with all the various comics, shows, books and whatnot. Maybe some more random-ass 3rd-party-made games too: Mario Teaches Typing 3, anyone?

One thing I wouldn't've been surprised to see is Mario games for smartphones and other such apps n' stuff; there's already so many imitators floating around, it'd been a natural move for Nintendo to go "hey, let's offer the real deal and then we get the money", but apparently they're not gonna go beyond game demos, or something.

I hope we'll see more third-party developed Mario, especially if it means the end of the NSMB design overload and maybe some of the RPG characters appearing in other games. Just please no Hotel Mario 2 unless it actually has some effort put into it.

I think Nintendo's outgrown its comic phase. I'd expect more 3rd party material in the future.

I thought there was supposed to be an Archie comic involving Mario characters, but after what happened at the Super Mario Bros. film, Nintendo doesn't trust American artists and writers to produce their Mario stuff.

I guess it may change now?

Farkles14 said:
Betcha 10 bucks Archie makes a bid for the comic rights.
Given their work with Sonic and Mega Man, I'd be down for this happening.

Three'kay said:
Farkles14 said:
Betcha 10 bucks Archie makes a bid for the comic rights.
Given their work with Sonic and Mega Man, I'd be down for this happening.
Cross Mario with Sonic and Mega Man.

Make it happen, Nintendo. :fancy:

Even better: Nintendo didn't specify which franchises were up for sale.

Theoretically, Archie could buy 'em all and hold a huge Super Smash Bros. adaptation.

Unfortunately, there were only two cereals in the box.

Super Mario Bros (Fruity) and Legend of Zelda (Berry).

Like I said, I hope they bring it back.

I hope this means:

1. No more New Super Shitty Mario Bros. in at least 15 years.
2. F-Zero is reviving.

[/delusion]

Anser said:
2. F-Zero is reviving.

I'm not sure the investor's meeting has much to do with the games themselves, but rather mostly the marketing... sorry to disappoint. :P

Farkles14 said:
Anser said:
2. F-Zero is reviving.

I'm not sure the investor's meeting has much to do with the games themselves, but rather mostly the marketing... sorry to disappoint. :P

Hopefully the marketing will be improved, then.

For the biggest video game series, Mario's merchandising isn't as much as Angry Birds and, gasp, Skylanders.

Anser said:
I hope this means:

2. F-Zero is reviving.

[/delusion]
Axe something that makes lot's of money and bring back something that makes very little money that's the craziest thing i've ever heard

Of course, the </delusion> tag was added with care.

Back