Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I don't think there are any dragon/pegasus riders that can wield bows. There are horse mounted ones that can do it though.

Or imagine if you can play as a Manakete. Never going to happen, but still.

I haven't played Fire Emblem, but I've seen trophies of people riding dragons and horses, so yeah, have some playable characters like that. They're certainly different from the rest of the Super Smash Bros. cast on that respect alone.

Or being able to play as a Laguz.

Seriously, there are so many weapons types that it's ridiculous just to use swords even without bringing mounted/transforming/etc. classes into this.

• Robin didn't deserve to be playable.
  • Charizard and Lucario didn't deserve to return.
  • I like Ganondorf as a clone of Falcon.
  • Daisy should be playable or at least a costume for Peach (and not a lame one like brawl).
  • Diancie would be a cool Pokémon addition.
  • Sylux would be a better addition than Ridley.

Cirdec said:
  • Robin didn't deserve to be playable.
  • Sylux would be a better addition than Ridley.
Robin is at least bringing a unique style into things. I can overlook the fact that there are better series reps than Robin due to him bringing something different to the series.

I'd be down for Sylux, if it came to that. Rundas would be pretty cool.

Hackmon said:
LGM reminded me of this:

Mr. Resetti is one of the best assist trophies.
I hate that bastard.

I don't like some visually jarring crap interrupting the flow of a really busy fight.

Also, Charizard is an awful addition, especially when Ivysaur and Squirtle are likely to be left out.

Maᴙio said:
Hackmon said:
LGM reminded me of this:

Mr. Resetti is one of the best assist trophies.
I hate that bastard.

I don't like some visually jarring crap interrupting the flow of a really busy fight.
And this is why I like him so much. It creates a lot of chaos. Also, I would rather not fight at all and just focus on what Resetti is saying, because he is so entertaining.

I'm fighting CPUs, who will stop at nothing to try to kill me, so yeah, I can't have that 5-minute long giant fly splat all over my screen.

And this is coming from someone who plays with 2.0 ratio. Smart Bombs and Blast Boxes are on super high, and the stage is Wario Ware.

Baby Luigi said:
-Fun is achieved in the most absurd and chaotic ways possible in Smash
Missed this, but definitely agree.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Baby Luigi said:
-Fun is achieved in the most absurd and chaotic ways possible in Smash
Missed this, but definitely agree.
Obnoxious text bubbles just doesn't match it, IMO. Neither are those overpowered stage hazards in Brawl. It's not fun.

What kills New Pork City, ultimately, it its bad stage layout, in my opinion, not the stage hazard.

Hackmon said:
The only overpowered stage hazard I really hate in Brawl in The Ultimate Chimera.

Whatever barf and fart Dialga, Palkia, and Cresselia spews out in Spear Pillar is infinitely worse than a small, slow moving stage hazard.

Ultimate Chimera can be avoided easily enough by moving to another part of the stage. Spear Pillar is by far the worst stage in terms of hazards in Brawl.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
Ultimate Chimera can be avoided easily enough by moving to another part of the stage. Spear Pillar is by far the worst stage in terms of hazards in Brawl.
It's awful, but the award should go to Mario Bros. Holy crap.

Other (dis)honorable mentions go to Hanenbow, Port Town Aero Drive, Flat Zone 2 (tolerable), Mario Kart, Rumble Falls, Norfair, Halberd, Pictochat (tolerale), 75 M, and Summit (the icicle is bad, but I really hate that fish).

Super Smash Bros. Brawl just doesn't know how to handle stage hazards appropriately.

I don't find Summit that bad, but that's probably just because I've never been screwed over by the giant fish. And while Norfair didn't do a spectacular job, I never find it really bad. I rarely, if ever, play on Hanenbow, so no comment there.

Brinstar Depths was a better stage mainly because the stage feature is slow moving and adaptable. But it's much better if you play it on Giant Melee though

Tuxedo Ridley said:
I don't find Summit that bad, but that's probably just because I've never been screwed over by the giant fish. And while Norfair didn't do a spectacular job, I never find it really bad. I rarely, if ever, play on Hanenbow, so no comment there.
I find Summit *very* tolerable too, it's just the fish that kind of ticks me off. I can live without it. The icicle, you can ignore it, but it's just a stage hazard that's sloppily tacked there randomly.

Norfair isn't the best, but it's not terrible either. The hitboxes on those fireball thingies are just... off. Also, we didn't really need those fireball thingies, or at least we can just nerf them.

Maᴙio said:
Tuxedo Ridley said:
I find Summit *very* tolerable too, it's just the fish that kind of ticks me off. I can live without it. The icicle, you can ignore it, but it's just a state hazard that's sloppily tacked there randomly.

Norfair isn't the best, but it's not terrible either. The hitboxes on those fireball thingies are just... off. Also, we didn't really need those fireball thingies, or at least we can just nerf them.
I'll agree with Rumble Falls though. Holy *bleep* those spikes are way too powerful.

And are they *really* necessary?

It's not just those spikes, the racers in Port Town Aero Drive are way too strong. What about that Lion exhibit in Flat Zone 2? Or ANYTHING in Mario Bros.? Or those hazards in 75m? Spear Pillar in general (with an overall terrible stage layout to boot?). I like stage hazards, but these are way overpowered.

I'm not calling out on the giant Chimera because at least it's easy to avoid. Nobody complained a lot about the Bullet Bill in Peach's Castle, right? Besides, THAT is fun. Same thing for those tornadoes and those drivers in Mute City.

1. Tornado in Hyrule Castle is a killer at only high percentages, it's slow moving and a relatively small obstacle. It can speed up unexpectedly however but it's still not a too over-powered nuisance obstacle. It also gives you time to react to its appearance.

2. Bullet Bill was also a slow moving obstacle that gives you much time to react.

3. Mute City drivers are weak

4. Brinstar Depths slowly rotates time to time, in a predictable fashion as well.

Do you see why those worked and the ones in Brawl don't?

Anything in Mario Bros. and 75m is really bad, but the super OP spikes in Rumble Falls are always the standout example for me because any match that I play on them-especially stock-always comes down to whoever manages to hit the other into an insta-kill spike first.

Back