Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Miki Hoshii said:
Unlocking characters was a chore. Preferred rules are inconsistent.
gods the quickplay rule prefs are bullshit. there should at least be an option to where you can mandatorily omit team battles and shit but rip. the arena thing does seem to help circumvent this but then you gotta go through the pain of finding a match which is eh

Dt8dle9VsAAeT4M.jpg

Fawful Claus said:
Gamefreak75 said:
Not really a fan of picking the stage before characters. Is there any way to change that or am I just going to have to deal with it?
Agreed, a change like that should've been made back in Melee if they were going to change it. By now the order of selection is an afterthought for many of us, and I personally don't play competitively enough to care about how it impacts the competitive scene, I at least want the option to use the classic order.

There's possibly a technical and practical reason for that rather than competitive reason: stages load slower than characters, so the heavy loading of stages is taken place in the character select rather than the stage select. Hence why after you pick your character, you can almost immediately jump into battle.

The fact that stage hazards have to be toggled from the rules menu instead of stage select makes zero sense to me.

7wP12BO.jpg

Uh, I'm pretty sure anyone who has played MSGV will get the reference...

So after many long hours and staying up late I've unlocked everyone just through doing vs matches, and no resetting.

Loving the game, it just feels so good to control. I don't think I can ever go back to playing Smash 4 after this.

In terms of newcomers, K. Rool is far and away the most fun for me. I love everything about him and I can't believe a heavy is this good. It's one thing to get your most wanted character, but to get them and also have them be super fun, that's amazing.

Ridley's probably my second favorite to play (also my second most wanted how about that). Inklings and the Belmonts are fun, but the Belmonts are very tricky and I'm still trying to wrap my head around exactly how they play. Isabelle doesn't do much for me but I never liked playing as Villager so that's expected. I need more time with Incineroar.

In terms of echoes, Richter, Daisy, and Dark Samus are pretty one to one frame data wise but I'm actually kinda liking Samus this go around so I can see myself playing Dark Samus kinda frequently. I'm liking Ken more than Ryu. As for Chrom, I see the potential, his recovery just makes playing him a little frustrating at times. Definitely will be spending more time with him.

I love so many of the updated veterans. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, in addition to looking better, all feel so much stronger. Marth is still Marth, but that's just what i want, and Cloud still feels good but appropriately toned down. Even characters I normally don't enjoy playing, like Pit and Little Mac feel fresh and fun.

My god the stages are gorgeous. All of them look stunning in HD. The Melee upgrades are my personal favorite. Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, and all the others look incredible. And the new freedom with music is much appreciated, especially with there being so much good music to choose from.

Haven't dived into single player yet, but this is on track to become my favorite ever Smash game.

I REALLY wish Mario's final smash didn't revert to fucking shit again. They managed to make it unbearably awful, while Smash 4 Mario's Final Smash actually worked and had the potential to sweep away entire teams more easily. Every time I play with Final Smashes on, I feel like I'm at a major disadvantage. It's also really annoying that the "cinematic" final smashes remove your held items, which is retained from the previous game.

The unlocking system is tedious as hell, and it is a gigantic chore. It doesn't help that I unlocked Dr. Mario last. World of Light is also very dull.

Nearly every other part of the game is fantastic though. I love 8 player 4 v 4 hazards on, explosives only, friendly fire, 1:00 stage morph intervals, and I wish I can turn on the FS meter but it feels unfair to Mario and that held item vanishing is annoying as well as some of the final smashes that screw with the camera like Pikachu's electric fart ball.

Well, Mario's final smash might as well be that, extremely ineffective

I watched gameplay of K. Rool for the first time today.

OH.
MY.
WORD.

He's looks like one of the best heavyweights I've seen. However, I also noticed an extreme lack of range.

Waterfall of Flab said:
I watched gameplay of K. Rool for the first time today.

OH.
MY.
WORD.

He's looks like one of the best heavyweights I've seen. However, I also noticed an extreme lack of range.
Waterfall of Flab said:
heavyweights
Waterfall of Flab said:
an extreme lack of range.
Waterfall of Flab said:
i beg your pardon

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
has anyone beat all star mode? Best I can do is 30-40 and I can't tell if I'm bad or it's legit difficult

Yeah it is a tad on the difficult side.

But also, turns out it's an endless survival rather then ending after all the characters are out. It loops back to Pac-Man, Game and Watch, Mario, Luigi, etc. coming at you. I did cheese it with Kirby's down B to get to that point though.

Waterfall of Flab said:
Lucinavidad said:
i beg your pardon

Don't pay attention to me. I don't own the game nor do I know all the tiny details about each fighter.

So basically I don't know why you said that.
half of his special moves produce projectiles

Waterfall of Flab said:
Lucinavidad said:
i beg your pardon

Don't pay attention to me. I don't own the game nor do I know all the tiny details about each fighter.

Krool throwing his crown and crunching everyone a meter in front of him isn't a tiny detail and it's a very well used strat for him

Northern Verve said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
has anyone beat all star mode? Best I can do is 30-40 and I can't tell if I'm bad or it's legit difficult

Yeah it is a tad on the difficult side.

But also, turns out it's an endless survival rather then ending after all the characters are out. It loops back to Pac-Man, Game and Watch, Mario, Luigi, etc. coming at you. I did cheese it with Kirby's down B to get to that point though.

Well, good to know

This game feels so much better than 4 OMG

Sorry to interject the thread with a comic related to this game, but I am surprised that this game is referenced in Retail the comic strip:
content.php

...OK, you may carry on with talking about this game.

Thank you for reading.

How do you get all three endings on a single save file? I'm doing this for future reference when I get my copy on Christmas.

The Boss and Baby Bowser spirit fights can go right into my prying maw.

The Boss: Omega stage, poison floor, stamina battle, timed battle, Zero Suit Samus gets increased defense after a certain amount of time. Pure unadulterated ass. IDk there are cheesing methods but I beat it through three poison resistances=immunity and just pressed through. Luckily, at the end, Zamus decided to pick up a Ray Gun and was subjected to consecutive Mario headbutts.

Don't be like me, use a Launch Star or Kirby's inhale/meteor smash.

The Boss's fight slayed me, holy hell.

The fact that they recreated THE FINAL BOSS OF METAL GEAR SOLID 3, YEAH, THAT ONE, with items, stage effects and Smash characters, killed me laughing.

Also if you haven't heard the theme for this game, have a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

Also, is "Yell Dead Cell" in this game? It better be.

I had to suffer in complete silence with the lovely bubbling of the oozing poison lake.

but yes I've heard this one and I think I'm glad I played with nothing because last thing I want is to ruin a good song with the bad taste of POISON LAKES.... POOOISON LAKES

Back