Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I'm surprised by how diverse the representation is for the Spirits, speaking in terms of series. Yeah yeah, this is Smash so that's a given, but coming from the apparent view that only the playable characters matter (competitive Smash never cared about any series that is not playable since they are famous for only allowing playable characters), it is a delightful surprise to see newer properties like Codename STEAM, Sushi Striker and even Snipperclips being represented. A bit disappointed that Commander Video is not in the list, but they have some indie representation that not only have Shovel Knight, but also...
Shantae

Deku said:
For those who care, here's the full song list. Beware, MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR WORLD OF LIGHT

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e7fRsX8Pp5EyyUoXTT9iODI23jvwAqJDd08J7XHpv3M/edit#gid=954702301

Also, only 14 songs have been cut from across the entire series. Nearly every previous Smash track is here.

I wonder why does Mario Kart get its own series (well, technically sub-series). Does that mean that Mario Kart tracks can only be used on the Mario Kart stages?

Also, it's amusing that Final Fantasy gets only 2 songs, and neither are remixes. In fact, they are both from Final Fantasy VII, which is the game Cloud first appeared in!

Moreover, Wrecking Crew appears to be separate from the rest of the Mario series, so perhaps in the eyes of Smash, Mario and Wrecking Crew are unrelated?

The person who typed the names must have some fun and bias with the Sonic series, because the latest two games didn't have their official names.

Thank you for reading.

YoshiGo99 said:
Here's something that annoys me about how My Music works.

Yoshi's Island (Melee) is considered a Yoshi stage even though it's from Super Mario World. In Smash 4 it had Mario series tracks like the SMB3 Melee remix and the SMW Medley and the SMW Title/Ending track. In Ultimate, the only Mario track it has is the SMW Athletic Melee remix, the rest are Yoshi series themes.

They didn't even bother to include other Super Mario World music, not even the original Ground Theme! I am wondering if they might fix that or not. I kind of doubt it.

Also, the Tetris themes can't be played on Luigi's Mansion.

What's laughable is that this listing is extremely easy to fix, Smash modding tools such as Sm4sh music lets you import music from other stages because of how simple the coding for this sort of thing is. Makes me wonder if Smash Ultimate will have a Sm4sh music equivalent.

Also, it's idiotic listing Yoshi's Island (Melee) has a Yoshi stage and not having its original tracks on there. Like what's the point. Oh well, it's not like I'll be playing the game initially with music on anyway.

So...where can the Tetris themes be played in instead? I always found it weird to hear Korobeiniki played in Luigi's Mansion anyway.

winstein said:
I wonder why does Mario Kart get its own series (well, technically sub-series). Does that mean that Mario Kart tracks can only be used on the Mario Kart stages?

Mario Kart is extremely popular and can stand on its own, compared to pretty much literally any other nonMario series represented in Smash. Though considering Mario Kart has never been considered separate, probably might be used in other Mario stages.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
So...where can the Tetris themes be played in instead? I always found it weird to hear Korobeiniki played in Luigi's Mansion anyway.
Songs from franchises without stages get assigned to franchises with stages. For example, music from Code Name S.T.E.A.M can be played on Fire Emblem stages, so there's still a chance that the Tetris Music gets assigned to Mario stages.

Nadeshiko Kagamihara said:
JC said:
Nadeshiko Kagamihara said:
The Breath of the Wild Presentation music was all I wanted for new zelda music. I don't know what genius decided to not use it in the game itself but at least smash has got my back.
Unfortunately it's an arrangement, which makes me sceptical since the original was already perfect. Hopefully the game has both.
Just the one it looks like, but I think this arrangement is better suited to being smash bgm than the original version.

Speaking of.

Yeah still prefer the original, which is a shame since Nagamatsu is like my favourite arranger at Nintendo. I get this version better suits a Smash match, but imo the original's fitting (and epic) enough for both to be included.

EDIT: We also now know who sang the English and Japanese versions of Lifelight.

I'm not recognizing which one this is (haven't beat the game, avoiding spoilers :P). Title sequence? My Switch has been on the program so much I've only heard that the once time.

I personally probably would have gone with the shrine battle theme at this point, more than likely.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer BGM. I don't think it actually appeared in the game itself

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
YoshiGo99 said:
Here's something that annoys me about how My Music works.

Yoshi's Island (Melee) is considered a Yoshi stage even though it's from Super Mario World. In Smash 4 it had Mario series tracks like the SMB3 Melee remix and the SMW Medley and the SMW Title/Ending track. In Ultimate, the only Mario track it has is the SMW Athletic Melee remix, the rest are Yoshi series themes.

They didn't even bother to include other Super Mario World music, not even the original Ground Theme! I am wondering if they might fix that or not. I kind of doubt it.

Also, the Tetris themes can't be played on Luigi's Mansion.

What's laughable is that this listing is extremely easy to fix, Smash modding tools such as Sm4sh music lets you import music from other stages because of how simple the coding for this sort of thing is. Makes me wonder if Smash Ultimate will have a Sm4sh music equivalent.

Also, it's idiotic listing Yoshi's Island (Melee) has a Yoshi stage and not having its original tracks on there. Like what's the point. Oh well, it's not like I'll be playing the game initially with music on anyway.

winstein said:

Mario Kart is extremely popular and can stand on its own, compared to pretty much literally any other nonMario series represented in Smash. Though considering Mario Kart has never been considered separate, probably might be used in other Mario stages.

The music file naming is still the same as in Smash 4, and originated from Brawl. I remember modding Smash 4 and seeing how easy it was to put music onto different stages, way easier than do so in Brawl.

As for Tetris music, I'm not sure, it is probably put in with the "other" series list. I didn't see any screenshot, it was just word from a dataminer.

I do hope that the Mario Kart music will be allowed on the other Mario stages because both Mario Circuits are not good stages for the 4 Rainbow Road themes we have. If only we had the Rainbow Road stage from 3DS.

Most people I know hate Icicle Mountain, but Poke Floats is very beloved, despite being perhaps the laziest stage ever. It's Pokemon Stadium models floating across a generic sky background. That's probably why it didn't come back. I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai kinda wants to forget about it with how last minute and generic it is. I'd still l've to have it back, maybe with the XY character models instead.

I just love how it made the generic gen 1 battle theme sound so freakin' alien. I liked Icicle Mountain, though more as an adventure stage than a battle stage. Still, my most hated stage is Spear Pillar, gen 3 music notwithstanding. 'Sides, that can be played on generic stadium now.

I loved Poke Floats. It does look lazy, but it's also pretty unique by being completely bizarre. It would also be a blast when you're screwing around with 8-player Smash.

Deku said:
Most people I know hate Icicle Mountain, but Poke Floats is very beloved, despite being perhaps the laziest stage ever. It's Pokemon Stadium models floating across a generic sky background. That's probably why it didn't come back. I wouldn't be shocked if Sakurai kinda wants to forget about it with how last minute and generic it is. I'd still l've to have it back, maybe with the XY character models instead.
I just love its placement next to Final Destination so it gets prone to being accidentally picked.

I like to see Poke Floats 2.

If Pokefloats returns, I want a Mimikyu balloon between the many balloons there. Or some other Pokémon that existed after Melee. But Mimikyu is the one I want the most.

Pokefloats kinda reminds me of those random Melee events where you fought on top of a trophy and if you won you got the trophy.
I want that back, is what I'm trying to say.

Honestly don't people usually prefer attack speed over actual movement speed?

Unless it's actually the attack speed that's low, I don't think that affects him that much.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Meta Crystal from the original.
It became a beloved stage for content-creating fans as I keep seeing that wretched stage in fan mods and games.

Isabelle said:
Honestly don't people usually prefer attack speed over actual movement speed?

Unless it's actually the attack speed that's low, I don't think that affects him that much.
it's a bit of both. if you have good movement speed, it's easier to tech chase, maintain stage control, and, in the older games, to dash dance to mesmerize and confuse your foes.

Back