Do you expect a port for SM 3D World in Switch?

Which of these should be the new playable characters?

• Captain Toad

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Toadette

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Peachette

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daisy

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sprixies

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Waluigi

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • others

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
I voted Daisy, Waluigi, and the Sprixies.

If 3D World does get ported to the Switch, I will bet my Switch that people who have Wii U will get angry (as usual), while peons like my who never had a Wii U will jump at the chance to finally be able to play these games.

Glowsquid said:
Cheeze said:
Glowsquid said:
There's no major mechanics that are tied to the Wii U gamepad (some of the enemies can be interracted with by the touch screen but they can still be defeated in other ways), all the Wii U to Switch ports are selling very well and people are actually asking for this one. No way it isn't happening

I haven't played it in a while so I might be wrong here, but doesn't that game have those platforms where you have to blow into the microphone part of the Wii U gamepad to move the platforms? I don't think the Switch gamepad has that feature, so how would that work?

They replace them with platforms that don't need the microphone

In other words, they could replace the Propeller Platforms with Lifts like they did with the Nintendo Switch version of "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker."

Expect it yes, want it no.

3D World was designed with the Wii U in mind and actively uses the mechanics of the Wii U more than people think. The touchpad is extremely useful in several levels and the microphone is necessary in others, neither of which the Switch has. Yes, these things may be adapted, but you'd still have to lose part of them because the touchpad is used for more than just platforms; it's used for keeping enemies still, it's used for grabbing powerups early, it's used for bumping blocks that you don't reach early, etc. None of this could be replicated on the Switch at all, only the bare necessity of the platforms.

To be honest, I'm not really a big fan of the Wii U repetitive ports in general, but that's more of a personal gripe than anything. I'd prefer if Nintendo just made new games straight up. It's great for Switch owners who never owned a Wii U, but for those who do have it it's just redundant.

I don't think porting it would bring anything new and would, if anything, strip away from the original game simply because the Switch is so different from the Wii U.

Kokichi Oma said:
3D World was designed with the Wii U in mind and actively uses the mechanics of the Wii U more than people think. The touchpad is extremely useful in several levels and the microphone is necessary in others, neither of which the Switch has. Yes, these things may be adapted, but you'd still have to lose part of them because the touchpad is used for more than just platforms; it's used for keeping enemies still, it's used for grabbing powerups early, it's used for bumping blocks that you don't reach early, etc. None of this could be replicated on the Switch at all, only the bare necessity of the platforms.
In my opinion, those mechanics are very nonessential. You can easily play the entire game without the gamepad with the exception of the levels that involve moving platforms with the touchpad or the microphone (both of which can be replaced). The other stuff like stunning enemies feels like they only added them so that the gamepad would actually do something unique in the majority of levels, so I think it could be removed without taking anything from the experience of the game.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
it doesn't matter because it's a bad game

If that's a bad game I don't think I want to know what you consider to be a good one.

Czario said:
In my opinion, those mechanics are very nonessential. You can easily play the entire game without the gamepad with the exception of the levels that involve moving platforms with the touchpad or the microphone (both of which can be replaced). The other stuff like stunning enemies feels like they only added them so that the gamepad would actually do something unique in the majority of levels, so I think it could be removed without taking anything from the experience of the game.

It's true that they're nonessential, and I'm not suggesting that they're super necessary for 3D World to be enjoyed, but if what you're overall getting from a port is a product that has less features than the original, is the port really worth it? That's the question that I pose. It seems like the only reasoning for it is for Switch owners who don't have a Wii U to have even less of an excuse to buy a Wii U. (Which admittedly can be smart from a marketing/business perspective, but it's still... Well, as I go into, buying into the port craze.)

To be fair, a lot of my perspective comes from someone who's cynical of ports in general and is getting kind of tired of them at this point and would vastly prefer original games be produced, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm more accepting of some remakes/ports because they actually add something while being ported, or do something unique with the new system they're being on.

I say this as someone who's actually bought ports, too. Hey, I'm willing to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
your opinion is wrong, and I will now ignore you

shut up 3d world kicks ass (but not your ass)

In all fairness though, what can you really do to expand 3D World's contents? Not very much outside of adding extra characters.

And when you consider that the Nintendo Switch version of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker replaced all the Super Mario 3D World contents with Super Mario Odyssey contents, that kind of feels like a sign that Super Mario 3D World will not be receiving a Nintendo Switch version.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Shy Guy on Wheels said:
your opinion is wrong, and I will now ignore you

shut up 3d world kicks ass (but not your ass)
3D World is an alright game but sadly isn't as epic as the Galaxy games though or Odyssey for that matter. It has Peach kicking ass as she did in SMB2USA and her own game. She's shown herself pretty capable just as much as Roll and Maria Renard (from Mega Man and Castlevania, respectively) have. Peach should keep it up because I don't want her haters to think that she's completely useless when she is capable of kicking ass. I want her to be badass. I want Peach to be liked.

MnSG said:
In all fairness though, what can you really do to expand 3D World's contents? Not very much outside of adding extra characters.
I honestly doubt the game will be ported, but if it is, I don't want a "deluxe" port. If the game does end up being ported, it should be a direct port, not an enhanced one. 3D World is a masterpiece on its own.

I'm desperate for a SM3DW port, and I would buy just a direct port in a hearbeat, though I would love playable Nabbit or Yoshi, more levels ect.

I know this is a bit of necroing, but it's because my opinion has changed slightly and I'd like to share with you all.

So I was playing The World Ends With You, or more specifically the Switch port of it, and I found out something interesting through playing it: the Switch does actually have touchpad capabilities. TWEWY is founded off the touchpad and I play it solely with the stylus I bought for use for the Switch. This whole time I was working under the assumption that if a port for Super Mario 3D World happened, the touchpad capabilities would be taken away, so you'd essentially be getting a gimped version of the original game. Now that I've found out that the Switch can function like a touchpad, I've switched (hah!) my perspective, just a little bit.

I'm still a little disgruntled by the port craze and I think the Switch library should be made of more originals and time should be focused on that rather than porting games for people who didn't buy the previous console, but if they keep the touchpad capabilities and they add new features to 3D World, then I guess I can't really complain too much so long as it doesn't take too much time away from other developmental cycles. 3D World is a good game and I would rather people get the opportunity to play it than sour the whole thing.

That doesn't mean that I'm particularly fond of the idea of a port, just that I'm more open to it than I was before. That being said, I'm only less cynical as long as the touchpad functionality is kept. I still think if they're going to do a port, you should be able to do everything you can do in the original - whether it's essential to the experience or not, as others in this thread have argued. Touchpad functionality is part of what makes 3D World fun and have it stand out, in my opinion, so it's simply not the same without it, and we shouldn't settle for a port being an inferior product. It should either have the exact same experience or be better than the original; settling for less is settling for complacency.

Honestly, since they got Captain Toad on both Switch and 3DS, I'd like a 3D World port to do the same thing, partly for the irony of how 3D World was an evolution of the core gameplay set up in Super Mario 3D Land, on the 3DS. So it would be neat to see the more definitive/larger game of that style also on the 3DS (in terms of hardware I don't see the issue since Captain Toad, which used the 3D World engine, was ported just fine). Also it would be a satisfying consistency to have 3D Land come in the early days of the 3DS, and 3D World close it out before it's retired. The only thing that could be an issue is multiplayer, but 3D World was enjoyable just fine with one player and the co-op could still be implemented to a degree with local wireless. Obviously a Switch version would also be a given if that happens though.

It wouldn't surprise me, but at the same time, I don't think it's necessary. The Wii U is a severely underrated console, and porting EVERY successful game over to Switch kinda hurts the value of backtracking to it for the games in its library. I didn't mind when they did this with Mario Kart 8 or Pokken Tournament because they added enough new content to convince me to double-dip; Super Mario 3D World is one of those games that defines that era though, so I'd prefer they keep it exclusive to Wii U.

However, the reason for Nintendo porting these games over is still an understandable one if you look at it from the business side of things, and I suppose whether they do the same for 3D World shouldn't really effect me much, since I already own the game. And there is the fact that the Stamps now have no other use than for 100% completion.

i honestly don't want it because it will literally have to ditch many wii u gimmicks in order to have it on the switch and it would be just Nintendo once again making a port just to pretend the Wii U never happened and that kinda sucks no matter what.

Besides, just like NSMBUD they would release this with a few changes and tweaks and charge it full price and this was one of the first Wii U games... Nintendo is clearly going the ''anti-consumer'' route with this bs and i don't support it whatsoever.

Also i'm getting tired of all the switch ports ... just make sequel at least for the love of God, that way at least you would have an excuse to charge full price.

Swiftie_Luma said:
i honestly don't want it because it will literally have to ditch many wii u gimmicks in order to have it on the switch and it would be just Nintendo once again making a port just to pretend the Wii U never happened and that kinda sucks no matter what.

Besides, just like NSMBUD they would release this with a few changes and tweaks and charge it full price and this was one of the first Wii U games... Nintendo is clearly going the ''anti-consumer'' route with this bs and i don't support it whatsoever.

Also i'm getting tired of all the switch ports ... just make sequel at least for the love of God, that way at least you would have an excuse to charge full price.

To add to this, not every Wii U game can be properly ported onto the Nintendo Switch without doing significant changes to the controls. For starters, Super Mario Maker's course maker depends on the GamePad's touch screen, and you don't have that while the Nintendo Switch is docked.

In a similar manner, Star Fox Zero heavily depends on the GamePad for its motion controls. And since that's a game that received mixed reception (and even being ranked among the worst 2016 games by some gaming communities), it's definitely not eligible for a Nintendo Switch port.

And lastly, Smash Ultimate's existence pretty much destroys any thoughts of Smash Wii U getting a Nintendo Switch port.

MnSG said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

To add to this, not every Wii U game can be properly ported onto the Nintendo Switch without doing significant changes to the controls. For starters, Super Mario Maker's course maker depends on the GamePad's touch screen, and you don't have that while the Nintendo Switch is docked.

In a similar manner, Star Fox Zero heavily depends on the GamePad for its motion controls. And since that's a game that received mixed reception (and even being ranked among the worst 2016 games by some gaming communities), it's definitely not eligible for a Nintendo Switch port.

And lastly, Smash Ultimate's existence pretty much destroys any thoughts of Smash Wii U getting a Nintendo Switch port.
This exactly. Here are all the things that can lower the likelihood of a port to Switch:

-Reliance on the GamePad: Nintendo Land, Mario Maker, Mario Party, Star Fox, Kirby
-Poor sales and/or mixed reception: Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Paper Mario, Star Fox, Kirby
-A previous port to 3DS: Mario Maker, Yoshi
-A sequel already on Switch: Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Smash, Mario Tennis, Yoshi
-Denial from the developers (direct or indirect): Mario 3D World, Xenoblade

Popular games that follow none of these trends: Pikmin 3, NES Remix Pack, Zelda remasters

Nintendo's really running out of options here.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Yeah, there's no reason to charge fucken full price. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't a $60 game, and it's rather infuriating that this game has yet to drop in value because Nintendo sucks ass, that's why. Double dipping sucks, but even for people who didn't have a Wii U, they shouldn't lay $60 for like a 5 year old game with not enough content added to justify the tag.

Back