2010 Director Election: Debate 1

Hobbes

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
19:19:50] <Tucayo> Ok, here are the rules
[19:20:37] <Tucayo> Channel mode will be +m, Gammy will spin, and whoever the bottle lands on, he will have a chance to ask a question to any of the candidates, or both
[19:22:29] <Tucayo> Ok, people have the opportunity to ask one question at a time, if you have 2 or more questions, you will have to wait for the bottle to land on you again
[19:22:51] <Tucayo> The debate is between SMB and MG1, I will be your happy mdoerator
[19:23:15] <Tucayo> Let's spin for the first question
[19:23:20] <Tucayo> `spin
[19:23:20] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[19:23:21] <GameServ> Edofenrir!
[19:23:36] <Tucayo> Edo, do you have any question for the candidates?
[19:23:43] <Edofenrir> Oh, I don't really have any questions. You can just skip me.
[19:23:57] <Tucayo> Ok
[19:24:06] <Tucayo> `spin
[19:24:06] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[19:24:07] <GameServ> Tucayo!
[19:24:13] <Tucayo> I get to ask the question
[19:24:15] <Tucayo> Thanks, MG
[19:24:23] <Tucayo> My question goes first for SMB
[19:25:08] <SMB> Alright.
[19:25:10] <Tucayo> SMB, you mention 3 special issues during the year, that is 1/4 of the year issues, in my opinion, that removes a little bit of its specialty, do you think you'll be able to make 3 issues that are truly special?
[19:26:26] <SMB> To answer, I feel that there are many different occasions for which a special issue can go for. They can certainly be themed issues (such as the Holidays Issue, which would be in its own issue).
[19:26:28] <SMB> Of course,
[19:27:16] <SMB> I'd also have the advice of my staff. So I am certainly open to their opinions as well. And the writers and readers. Their opinion is above all others.
[19:28:40] <SMB> That said, I'd be open to suggestions for these special issues. I want to make this year a fun and special year for The 'Shroom.
[19:29:02] <Tucayo> Ok, thanks SMB
[19:29:04] <Tucayo> `spin
[19:29:05] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[19:29:05] <GameServ> MG1!
[19:29:14] <Tucayo> MG, any question for SMB?
[19:29:21] <MG1> Is this thing rigged?
[19:29:22] <MG1> WAIT
[19:29:27] <MG1> No, that's not my question >_>
[19:30:37] <MG1> You talk about hosting events in the chatroom and forums, I'm sure you've already thought of examples so could you tell us some?
[19:34:21] <Tucayo> SMB?
[19:35:21] <SMB> The events I want to do would be done in a similar fasion as to how we are doing the End of the Year events this year.
[19:35:31] <SMB> Do I have any specific examples? No.
[19:35:44] <SMB> I planned on discussing it with my staff if I'm elected.
[19:36:08] <Tucayo> MG, you may reply to SMB if you want to
[19:36:39] <MG1> Very well, thank you for your answer :)
[19:36:41] <MG1> `spin
[19:36:42] * GameServ spins the bottle for MG1 and it lands on...
[19:36:42] <GameServ> SM347!
[19:36:50] <Tucayo> Hey, I am the mdoerator
[19:36:57] <Tucayo> You are the candidates
[19:36:58] <MG1> :P
[19:37:17] <SM347> Okay, first to MG1
[19:37:49] <SM347> Do you plan on doing any major changes to The 'Shroom?
[19:38:13] <SM347> Like, new sections?
[19:38:56] <MG1> Well, as I said, I will have a survey constantly open so if any users have any ideas for sections, they will be free to contact us with the ideas.
[19:39:18] <MG1> Additionally I read my PMs daily and users are open to request being hired for a new section
[19:39:33] <MG1> But no, I don't have any ideas for new sections currently planned out
[19:39:55] <SM347> Okay
[19:40:02] <SM347> and you, SMB?
[19:42:19] <SMB> Well, MG1 and I pretty much have the same idea on this. I also mentioned in my campaign that I'm going to have regularly scheduled surveys to collect reader and writer opinions on these matters. I, too, check my PMs actively and try my best to post up applications and suggestions in the staff board in a timely manner. I don't have too many ideas on what new sections can be brought to The 'Shroom, although I've has this in consideration since I'v
[19:46:44] <SMB> ...Okay, I've been informed that for some chat users, my answer cuts off. I'll repost that answer above in segments.
[19:47:14] <SMB> Well, MG1 and I pretty much have the same idea on this. I also mentioned in my campaign that I'm going to have regularly scheduled surveys to collect reader and writer opinions on these matters.
[19:47:32] <SMB> I, too, check my PMs actively and try my best to post up applications and suggestions in the staff board in a timely manner. I don't have too many ideas on what new sections can be brought to The 'Shroom, although I've has this in consideration since I've put up my campaign.
[19:48:09] <Tucayo> SMB or MG1, any comments to each other replies?
[19:48:42] <MG1> None here :)
[19:48:47] <SMB> I have no replies.
[19:48:53] <SM347> okay
[19:49:06] <SM347> Also, I have to leave guys
[19:49:11] <Tucayo> Bye, thanks
[19:49:18] <Tucayo> `spin
[19:49:18] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[19:49:19] <GameServ> UM|MLSS!
[19:49:34] <UM|MLSS> XD
[19:49:40] <Tucayo> There :)
[19:49:41] <UM|MLSS> Hmmm
[19:49:42] <Tucayo> Any questions?
[19:49:48] <UM|MLSS> Let me think
[19:50:12] <UM|MLSS> Well I only have one minor
[19:50:16] <UM|MLSS> question
[19:51:20] <UM|MLSS> But anyways I wanted to make a new section for the Fake News called Fake Items but I cant make any artwork for it can someone else make the artwork?
[19:51:32] <Tucayo> That's not related
[19:51:37] <UM|MLSS> Oh sorry
[19:51:40] <UM|MLSS> :blush:
[19:51:54] <Tucayo> You can ask that in the forum
[19:51:57] <Tucayo> Another question?
[19:52:04] <UM|MLSS> Well im not in the forum
[19:52:09] <UM|MLSS> :koopa:
[19:52:19] <UM|MLSS> well i guess i dont have any
[19:52:24] <Tucayo> Ok, thanks
[19:52:45] <Tucayo> `spin
[19:52:46] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[19:52:46] <GameServ> SMB!
[19:52:57] <Tucayo> SMB, got aquestion?
[19:53:14] <SMB> Give me one moment to think of one, please.
[19:53:19] <Tucayo> Sure
[20:01:56] <SMB> Alright, MG1. Don't take my question as an attack on your campaign; I don't know how to word my question in a better manner and my intentions are not to be negative.
[20:01:58] <SMB> Upon looking at your campaign, I see you promise to improve user contact through the use of surveys, hold more special events, restart the "Section of the Month" project, and to choose staff with activity.
[20:02:12] <SMB> When I posted up my campaign (which was before yours was), I promised the same things. What else to you plan on doing if electeD?
[20:06:47] <MG1> Well, I think The 'Shroom is going very well as it is. Anything I thought of would have been in my campaign; I tried to think of new ideas after seeing your campaign (that's what was taking so long to have my campaign posted) but I couldn't find any other problems or things to be improved with The 'Shroom
[20:09:04] <SMB> Alright then. We can move along.
[20:09:31] <Tucayo> `spin
[20:09:31] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[20:09:32] <GameServ> _2257!
[20:09:38] <Tucayo> 22, are you here?
[20:12:22] <Tucayo> `spin
[20:12:23] * GameServ spins the bottle for Tucayo and it lands on...
[20:12:23] <GameServ> SMB!
[20:12:33] <Tucayo> Have another question?
[20:12:45] <SMB> Let me think...
[20:16:29] <SMB> You mentioned in your first campaign promise (the "User Contact" section) that you'd have users send in suggestions year-round in a survey. This is slightly different than how I planned on doing it (or at least, by the way you make it sound). Can you explain this promise in more depth?
[20:18:13] <MG1> Well, I will have a page called (tentative) "MarioWiki:Contact" and, on that page, there would be a suggestion-like survey which would be constantly open. People could send in results at any time and then the 'shroom staff would see, and discuss, them
[20:18:14] <SMB> Sorry, I'd like to expound upon this. I forgot to mention what I feel makes our versions of this promise slightly different: you say you want to use a template to do this.
[20:18:48] <MG1> Another difference would be that my thing is year-round, yours would be monthly
[20:21:30] <SMB> Well, kind of. I'd have issue-specific polls monthly. I plan on having the Feedback Surveys once every 3 months. I plan on doing this so that I can compare the quality and feedback of certain issues and eras of The 'Shroom to see what the users like best. This would come in handy if we make any changes from issue-to-issue; we can compare what the users felt worked best in an issue.
[20:21:38] <Tucayo> Attention users, if you have a question, please contact me and I will form a queue to ask them to the candidates
[20:23:53] <Tucayo> Ok
[20:24:10] <Tucayo> If anyone has further questions, please send them to me via query so I can ask them to the candidates
[20:24:14] <Tucayo> Here is one by Ralphfan
[20:24:29] <Tucayo> "SMB: You've been very busy in the past, with school, Wiki, Awards, Forums and Userpedia stuff. How will you have time to do 'Shroom work, too?"
[20:26:29] <SMB> Well, I plan on making time. I've been doing my best to start adjusting my time to direct The 'Shroom in the case that I win.
[20:26:43] <SMB> So it's not going to be an issue. :)
[20:27:04] <Tucayo> Ok, now my next question
[20:27:15] <Tucayo> For SMB
[20:28:22] <Tucayo> You mention you will merge the Sub-Director and Editor in Chief positions. Isn't that going backwards instead of forwards? I mean, the position was brought back because it was hard for the SD to check the sections with all his other duties
[20:30:27] <SMB> I don't really feel it is going backwards. Looking at the position, it's understandable why it was abolished in the first place: the EiC position just doesn't hold too much importance.
[20:31:20] <Tucayo> But it takes a huge burden of teh SD shoudlers
[20:31:28] <SMB> That said, at the time of the reintroduction of the Editor-in-Chief position, we had just introduced the concept of users filling out applications. A lot of our sections were not of the highest quality, so the position was needed at the time.
[20:33:37] <SMB> Now that we have applications, we probably won't get many "wild card" sections. I won't let users write if they will cause THAT much of a burden. The sub should only have to read the articles once to check for minor errors; not have to go and rewrite the whole thing.
[20:34:16] <Tucayo> Ok, now a question by BMB
[20:34:42] <Tucayo> My question to both SMB and MG1 (if not both, then MG1). The 'Shroom has had a downfall of many writers early this year, and hasn't really been able to grab many new ones. Many spots are still open, and many users are doubling on 'Shroom Positions.
[20:34:42] <Tucayo> What will they do to be able to bring in more fresh writers to help expand our newspaper?
[20:36:07] <BMB> 10MG1 can start, unless SMB has already begun typing.
[20:37:44] <MG1> Well, The 'Shroom cannot force people to join, so there's no definite way to make them sign up. However, in my campaign, I mentioned that I would be holding events to make The 'Shroom more noticable; hopefully this will draw in more users
[20:38:03] <MG1> And I will try to key some of the events towards making people sign up
[20:38:33] <Tucayo> Ok, SMB?
[20:39:39] <SMB> Well, just as MG1 said, we cannot force users to write for The 'Shroom. Also, as he said, holding events is a good way to draw interest. If people see that the paper is fun, then they will probably be inclined to join.
[20:39:41] <SMB> Also,
[20:41:06] <SMB> I feel that another good strategy (as I pointed out in my campaign) is affiliating with other news organization. It will make the paper's reputation improve. I also plan on advertising The 'Shroom around the community (e.g. the forum, chat, Userpedia, etc>)
[20:41:30] <Tucayo> Any replies, BMB?
[20:41:40] <BMB> 10Yes.
[20:41:49] <Tucayo> Go ahead
[20:42:54] <BMB> 10I do understand that you can't force people to join. But, being a writer myself, I found it very intimidated by all that was happening, and I believe that many users that are interested decline because of intimidation. If you have ideas to make it more "relaxed", then I think more will come.
[20:43:41] <BMB> 10Other than that, I have no other replies.
[20:44:22] <Tucayo> SMB?
[20:44:44] <SMB> One second, please.
[20:46:41] <SMB> Please explain this comment a bit more, BMB. What do you mean by making The 'Shroom more relaxed? What would you say would make it more relaxed?
[20:46:56] <BMB> 10Give me a second to expand.
[20:48:22] <BMB> 10I think that when they are interested, they view some current writer's deadlines, and freak out that they have certain dates for that. But...
[20:49:38] <SMB> You mean the deadlines? Well, we have to have certain dates for users to send their sections in. Otherwise, we'd be in a mess.
[20:49:44] <BMB> 10I believe that many feel as if they aren't that well known, or aren't active in the forums and chat, that they feel like they'll just be an outcast if they write, and would hate that feeling. I believe that we should try to help them fit in with some activities.
[20:49:56] <SMB> Oh
[20:50:32] <BMB> 10Those activities could be like a writing-contest, and who has the least errors, or something that simple, and it doesn't have to be so strict, just to get them to know all of us current writers.
[20:50:51] <SMB> You mean kind of like the Flag Competition was?
[20:51:18] <BMB> 10Pretty much, but I believe we should try to do it more often.
[20:51:18] <SMB> It wasn't /exactly/ like that, but it showed many users that display artistic talent.
[20:51:24] <SMB> Ah, yes.
[20:51:28] <SMB> I agree completely.
[20:52:00] <BMB> 10And it doesn't have to be artistic, or that complicated. It could be simple things that could take only a day, but something to break the ice.
[20:52:16] <SMB> True...
[20:52:36] <BMB> 10And unless SMB wants me to expand more, I think that is all I have to ask.
[20:53:13] <Tucayo> So, to the next question?
[20:53:24] <SMB> Well, competitions and contests are a great way to break ice and to have fun, so I agree with your suggestion, MG1.
[20:53:30] <SMB> *BMB
[20:53:48] <BMB> 10Well, one more thing first, and then that is it.
[20:54:43] <BMB> 10Just try to brainstorm ideas and try to work them in with what you have planned, and I think we'll see some new writers joining us. And don't limit the contests/competitions to just those trying out/already a writer, but to all users.
[20:54:46] <BMB> 10And that is it.
[20:55:37] <SMB> Alright.
[20:55:46] <Tucayo> Ok, thanks BMB, Kumatora has the next question
[20:56:06] <Tucayo> "To SMB: I was wondering how does he plan to gain more affiliates?"
[20:57:59] <SMB> Well, I plan on asking them. I would add a new page to the 'Shroom project (perhaps entitled "MarioWiki:The 'Shroom/Affiliates") and have a little blurb about our affiliates. I'd link to them and request them to do the same (or something similar, if they can).
[20:58:57] <SMB> Slightly better than just a regular link-exchange.
[21:00:21] <Tucayo> Ok, next question is myself
[21:00:36] <Tucayo> We wil likely end with this question
[21:00:37] <Tucayo> TO SMB
[21:00:48] <Tucayo> This question may sound rude, but it's written in the best of intentions to help you improve: I noticed you didn't really answer my first question. How will the 4 special issues be special? (I now noticed you plan 4, which is 1/3!!) Adding "Special" to the issue name, or "Holiday" isn't what makes them special. And you have to have some ideas of your own, you can't answer everything with...
[21:00:48] <Tucayo> ..."I'll take suggestions"
[21:02:54] <SMB> Well, of course. I agree. That said, I brought my own ideas to the table: Issue L, Awards, Holidays, and Poll Chairperson. I might not implement all of these: it really depends on what the writers think. It's not so much that I'm solely relying on the users...
[21:03:13] <SMB> It's more that I want to consider their opinion deeply. I want to know what they deem as "special."
[21:05:37] <Tucayo> Ok, and with that we end tonight's debate!
[21:06:00] <Tucayo> Stay tuned for the time of next debate, which will be Tuesday, January 3rd
[21:07:15] <Tucayo> Thanks, and good night
 
Top