Userpedia Awards III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
...Should we even have them this year? Not to be Mr. Pessimism, but Userpedia's barely hanging on as it is. We'd have to trim down on the amount of awards too, since there's no active spriters or artists. (There's probably some other things I'm missing too.)

Should we ask MG1 about this?

Wayoshi

PM Pro
Re: Userpedia Awards

Hi everyone,

I personally discounted the possibilty of a UPIII as soon as I heard that it simply flopped late last year. UPII was a semi-failure (not much, but I didn't really feel it at all last year) and now it finally died. It is better to move on

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

I don't mean to sound like a stick-in-the-mud with progress here, but Userpedia still has activity. It's not as much as it was before, but I'm sure that we could perhaps strip down the amount of Userpedia awards instead? Stories are still a bit of a craze over at UP, so I imagine "Best Userpedia story" being a good choice for one of the awards.

ralphfan

Thank you based god

I think this should be more of a UP Project, and BTW, my vote would go to 132 REDUX.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Sharks Territory said:
I think this should be more of a UP Project, and BTW, my vote would go to 132 REDUX.
Userpedia was probably included for having such a big impact on the MarioWiki in the past. Although this should be a UP project, I feel that it wouldn't hurt to keep it one more year.

ralphfan

Thank you based god

Here were last year's awards:

U1) Favorite Fad
U2) Favorite Wiki Host (new)
U3) Favorite Comic
U4) Favorite Game
U5) Favorite Non-User
U6) Favorite Rename of a User
U7) Favorite Spriter
U8) Favorite Location
U9) Favorite Artist
U10) Favorite Retired User

Removed:
Favorite Collaboration of Sprites

I say to go with Fad, Comic, Game, Non-User, and Story.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Sharks Territory said:
Here were last year's awards:

U1) Favorite Fad
U2) Favorite Wiki Host (new)
U3) Favorite Comic
U4) Favorite Game
U5) Favorite Non-User
U6) Favorite Rename of a User
U7) Favorite Spriter
U8) Favorite Location
U9) Favorite Artist
U10) Favorite Retired User

Removed:
Favorite Collaboration of Sprites

I say to go with Fad, Comic, Game, Non-User, and Story.
I'd really like to replace Non-User award with Favorite Retired User. Instead of having it all based on fiction, we can at least add some variety.

Also, I don't support the inclusion of the Favorite Game award. The only new (and almost the only real game on UP) game is Stooben's RPG; the other games are just stories with instructions on the fake game-play tacked on. I'd suggest replacing that with Favorite Wiki Host.

ralphfan

Thank you based god

Oh yeah. Retired is better than Non-User. As for game, you make a good point. Favorite Game applies to things like Paper Lario and Guitar Steward.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Sharks Territory said:
Oh yeah. Retired is better than Non-User. As for game, you make a good point. Favorite Game applies to things like Paper Lario and Guitar Steward.
Hm... Alright, I guess that's good.

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff

Favorite Fad -- Keep. People still have fads that they really get into.
Favorite Wiki Host -- Scrap. This was only a filler and a partially interesting idea because UP finally had its own domain.
Favorite Comic -- Scrap. Can be a part of a larger award, due to lack of new comics.
Favorite Game -- Scrap. Same as above (only with games, instead of comics).
Favorite Non-User -- Scrap. Was this ever really interesting? All but, like, 2 or 3 non-users are even interesting.
Favorite Rename of a User -- Keep. Users are always changing names.
Favorite Spriter -- Scrap. I believe Uni, Xpike, and myself are the only three spriters still in business.
Favorite Location -- Scrap. Almost no locations were preserved, and virtually none that exist today have any effort in them.
Favorite Artist -- Scrap. I think Girrr and myself are the only ones that still make art on occasion.
Favorite Retired User -- Keep. Every year more users retire, and they're always missed.
Favorite User Creation -- Add. This is a broader category to fit the more narrow activity of Userpedia today. With only a few new fictions and games in the works, it'd be easy to cover all of them in one shot. This could include old works like IAESL (comic) and Paper Lario (game), as well as newer works, such as 132 REDUX (story) and Spirit Lies (game).
Favorite User-created Site -- Add. This would be a category that covers users' favorite sites founded by other users. (i.e. UnMario, Userpedia, Xephyr, etc.)

There's your five UP awards. How's that?

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Blur said:
Favorite Wiki Host -- Scrap. This was only a filler and a partially interesting idea because UP finally had its own domain.
Favorite Comic -- Scrap. Can be a part of a larger award, due to lack of new comics.
Favorite Non-User -- Scrap. Was this ever really interesting? All but, like, 2 or 3 non-users are even interesting.
Favorite Spriter -- Scrap. I believe Uni, Xpike, and myself are the only three spriters still in business.
Favorite Location -- Scrap. Almost no locations were preserved, and virtually none that exist today have any effort in them.
Favorite Artist -- Scrap. I think Girrr and myself are the only ones that still make art on occasion.
Favorite Retired User -- Keep. Every year more users retire, and they're always missed.
Favorite User Creation -- Add. This is a broader category to fit the more narrow activity of Userpedia today. With only a few new fictions and games in the works, it'd be easy to cover all of them in one shot. This could include old works like IAESL (comic) and Paper Lario (game), as well as newer works, such as 132 REDUX (story) and Spirit Lies (game).
Favorite User-created Site -- Add. This would be a category that covers users' favorite sites founded by other users. (i.e. UnMario, Userpedia, Xephyr, etc.)

You, sir, are a genius. I like your suggestion.

Marioguy1

Leo
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff

U1) Favorite Fad - Yes, fads are forever
U2) Favorite Wiki Host (new) - Anyone who doesn't know the history of UP is dead on this one, no.
U3) Favorite Comic - We have several comics, JaTF, Yoshario's story, Userpedia is dead, plus we can use past ones, keep.
U4) Favorite Game - No, we have one
U5) Favorite Non-User - I honestly can't think of that many current (as in active in our minds) non-users. BOOM
U6) Favorite Rename of a User - This is forever, yup!
U7) Favorite Spriter - Per St00by
U8) Favorite Location - In all my time, the only locations I've heard of are MW, UP, Wiki World and the Pipe Plaza. DIE
U9) Favorite Artist - Per me pering st00by
U10) Favorite Retired User - User-related stuff can't go wrong!
U11) Favorite Fanfic - I object to merging Comic, game and fanfic for the fact that we have enough comics and fanfics meanwhile games are not current enough. Plus it is hardly fair to fight fanfics with comics.
U12) Favorite User-created Site - I would support this but that makes six and I won't do that.

Basically, I support Favorite: Fad, Comic, Rename, Retired and Fanfics for those reasons.

ralphfan

Thank you based god

I'm not so keen on User-Created Site; I'd prefer to keep Comics and Stories split, or do User Creations for pre-2009 and 2009-present.

SonicMario

Star Spirit

Blur said:

I like most of these suggestions as well. I find Favorite User Creation just a little too broad. But then again I guess I'm overestimating the number of "big gun" creations on Userpedia

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff

Marioguy1 said:
U11) Favorite Fanfic - I object to merging Comic, game and fanfic for the fact that we have enough comics and fanfics meanwhile games are not current enough. Plus it is hardly fair to fight fanfics with comics.
Why is it unfair? Both fanfics and comics have to have a good story to keep users interested. A lot of comics are still considered "high-caliber" (like Master Wikians, IAESL, Kakumei, Legends of the Fallenstar, and TLA), so they have a fighting chance against good fanfics (like Redux 132, Coded Logs, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting). The only difference is that comics rely on visuals, whereas fanfics rely on descriptives to make them seem detailed. They both still have to have good plots, dialogue, and their own uniqueness to make them considered good. The same applies with games, really. Look at games like Paper Lario and MarioWiki Island in comparison to Guitar Steward and User Party. The former two had a lot of good artwork (visuals), parodied their respective games stories fairly well (good story), and even got into detail with level layout and boss stats (descriptives); the latter two were mainly lists, which is why they weren't that good. They were the first of their kind on Userpedia (GS was the first rhythm game parody; User Party was the first Mario Party parody), but they still weren't good.

Honestly, if you take the best of the best out of the comic, fanfic, and game categories, it's a pretty fair fight. And you could easily get 8-10 new contenders for this one new category, rather than having the same old contenders in the same old categories. Would you rather have something fresh, or a boring rehash?

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Blur said:
Marioguy1 said:
Why is it unfair? Both fanfics and comics have to have a good story to keep users interested. A lot of comics are still considered "high-caliber" (like Master Wikians, IAESL, Kakumei, Legends of the Fallenstar, and TLA), so they have a fighting chance against good fanfics (like Redux 132, Coded Logs, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting). The only difference is that comics rely on visuals, whereas fanfics rely on descriptives to make them seem detailed. They both still have to have good plots, dialogue, and their own uniqueness to make them considered good. The same applies with games, really. Look at games like Paper Lario and MarioWiki Island in comparison to Guitar Steward and User Party. The former two had a lot of good artwork (visuals), parodied their respective games stories fairly well (good story), and even got into detail with level layout and boss stats (descriptives); the latter two were mainly lists, which is why they weren't that good. They were the first of their kind on Userpedia (GS was the first rhythm game parody; User Party was the first Mario Party parody), but they still weren't good.

Honestly, if you take the best of the best out of the comic, fanfic, and game categories, it's a pretty fair fight. And you could easily get 8-10 new contenders for this one new category, rather than having the same old contenders in the same old categories. Would you rather have something fresh, or a boring rehash?
Stooben summed everything up well. I agree with him.

ralphfan

Thank you based god

I think there are too many user creations to fit into just one award. Either do Retro User Creation and New User Creation or keep them as Comic and Story.

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff

Sharks Territory said:
Retro User Creation and New User Creation
I would be fine with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.