ULTIMATE CHARACTER TOURNAMENT

Are you interested in the tournament?

• Total voters

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I've only told a few users before this, but I want everyone to know the following info. To coincide with the 2010 Awards, I'm going to start a tournament to determine the greatest Mario/DK/B-K/Sonic/Kirby/Anything Else Wiki-Related character of all-time! Why now, in September? Well, following my timeframe, it'll take anywhere from 70-262 days to conduct the tournament, depending on how many characters we include. All the details will be taken care of in meetings in #ralphchat. The first meeting is this Friday, the 18th, at 5:20 pm Eastern (22:20 UTC). Beginning on Wednesday the 23rd, most meetings after that will be held on Wednesdays at 7:30 pm Eastern (0:30 Thursday UTC). Ask me any questions. Remember, all users are invited to help!

N

Nerdy Guy

When you say "tournament", do you mean you're going to set up a group of polls, then whoever gets the most votes moves on to the next round, or are you going to play Brawl or something?

O

OMimistasia

Jeff said:
When you say "tournament", do you mean you're going to set up a group of polls, then whoever gets the most votes moves on to the next round, or are you going to play Brawl or something?
That's what I was wondering

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Sorry I wasn't very specific. Yes, I mean polls, and it'll be set up like a bracket, and you vote for the character you like more.

As for planning:
  • Most of the meetings will last about an hour.
  • In the first few meetings, we'll determine which characters will be in the tournament.
  • The rest will be determining their seeding, i.e.: who plays who. A lot of this will be done throughout the week on the forum.

I'm glad so many of you have taken interest in the tournament. See ya Friday!

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
I still think this is far too much effort for such a small outcome...

O

OMimistasia

I think it will be cool. Peach vs. Daisy Luigi Vs. Yoshi

It could be interesting

ralphfan

Thank you based god
We took care of the first meeting.  Not many members attended.  Marioguy1 and SLNO pinged in the middle.  Kudos to SMB ( :mario: and  :luigi:) for staying for the whole meeting.  We set up the agenda and covered the Conker and Banjo series.

Here's a recap of the first meeting.

Here's a recap of the characters and those on the bubble.

Please reflect on the decisions made and say what you want changed.  Hope to see you at #ralphchat for the next meeting, September 23rd at 7:30 pm Eastern (Sep. 24th at 0:30 UTC).  The MW applet doesn't let you access #ralphchat for some reason, so use Darkmyst, Mibbit, or Userpedia.

Tucky, maybe we can discuss it in The 'Shroom, I'm not sure.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Everyone can help! Post your thoughts on who should be in from Conker and Banjo that isn't, and who shouldn't be in that currently is.

The four currently on the bubble are:
  • Jolly Roger
  • Gobi
  • Cheato
  • Roysten

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Crackin355 said:
me confused on how this works?
Well, I thought I made it pretty clear, but I'll try again:

I'm planning a tournament to find the best Mario/Sonic/Kirby/DK/Zelda/Banjo/Conker character. The tournament will be a 1-on-1 bracket, and users will vote for the character they prefer in polls. The meetings are to determine the characters that will be included in the tournament and to rank them, which will determine the matchups. Meetings are held on the darkmyst network at #ralphchat on Wednesdays at 7:30 pm Eastern (US) Time (Thursdays at 0:30 UTC). You can access the channel through mibbit.com, darkmyst.org, or here. I prefer the last one, which is through Userpedia.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
ralphfan said:
Everyone can help! Post your thoughts on who should be in from Conker and Banjo that isn't, and who shouldn't be in that currently is.

• Jolly Roger
  • Gobi
  • Cheato
  • Roysten
I would say none of these characters, but if you insist, I think Jolly Roger would be the best choice. All Gobi does is get his water stolen and goes places, Cheato is a floating book with missing pages, and who is Roysten?

Here's a recap of the characters and those on the bubble.

is this supposed to show the characters that youre choosing or to show the characters that you dont know if are in yet?

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Yes, on the bubble are the maybes.  The others listed are in.

Super Mario Bros. said:
ralphfan said:
Everyone can help!  Post your thoughts on who should be in from Conker and Banjo that isn't, and who shouldn't be in that currently is.

• Jolly Roger
  • Gobi
  • Cheato
  • Roysten
I would say none of these characters, but if you insist, I think Jolly Roger would be the best choice. All Gobi does is get his water stolen and goes places, Cheato is a floating book with missing pages, and who is Roysten?
Roysen is Banjo's goldfish.  He doesn't do much.  Yay, we're doing a super-quote!

We now have an official home: It's on the wiki.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
ralphfan said:
Yes, on the bubble are the maybes. The others listed are in.

Super Mario Bros. said:
ralphfan said:

• Jolly Roger
  • Gobi
  • Cheato
  • Roysten
Roysen is Banjo's goldfish. He doesn't do much. Yay, we're doing a super-quote!
Ok, that makes me feel even stronger on not allowing those characters. Include Banjo, Kazooie, Grunty, and Mumbo Jumbo.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I don't usually double post, but we can make an exception.

For the second meeting:

We covered Zelda: 18 characters added, 2 more on the bubble.  It took way more time than expected, and I pinged towards the end and had to re-login.  Tucky was there for the bulk of it, Castle Toad came in the middle and stayed for a bit, MG1 stayed throughout (thanks!) and SMB missed most because of dinner, but his opinions were heard.

Here's a recap of the second meeting.

Here's a link to the characters and their current positions.

Here are all the polls and recaps.  This will be the main page for everything.
Stooben Rooben said:
I still think this is far too much effort for such a small outcome...
St00by, I disagree entirely.  It'll be fun!  It already is!

Next meeting: Wednesday 9/30, 7:30 pm Eastern (10/1, 0:30 UTC).