Scribble Showdown - ROUND 5: Abstraction!

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His

With the first of many acts of Scribbalry completed, a recess was invoked. The hard work was over! All that was left were celebrations to be had and votes to be cast. As the sun graced the troughs of the valley, the Scribblers feasted and danced into the night, illuminated by glorious fire.

Meanwhile, far above the stars...

Round 1 Submissions have now ended!

Firstly, thank you so much to all of you for making such a strong comeback to the noble sport of Scribbling. Each and every one of these little doodly squares are a treasure, and they will be treated as such. Round 1 saw a lot less turbulence and need for leniency than last year, partly thanks to this being a repeat event rather than a new adventure. However, not to take credit away from our newcomers, who scribbled with admirable grace!

So, naturally, here's all the Scribbles! Have a browse, marvel at the wonderful work of your peers, and then decide their fate. You'll be able to see the matchup, each submission and their respective prompt/battle number.

As with last year, if an image has a title, it exists as the alt text which you can see by hovering over the image.

The voting form can be found at the end of this post!

0040.png

This theme involved prompts based on the different types of Mario games! While he's mostly forayed into sports, there's some other silly activities he's gotten himself into over the years.

MATCH 1
REVERSE INPUT vs FUN WITH DESPAIR
PARKOUR
Acrobatic Ambush?! Parkour Pirates Attack!
WINNER: REVERSE INPUT
MATCH 2
FANTANOICE vs WALUIGI TIME
ROLE-PLAYING
WINNER: WALUIGI TIME
MATCH 3
ZANGE vs HEARTS
SOCCER
WINNER: HEARTS
MATCH 4
GOOMBUIGI vs TOADBERT
TENNIS
Misfire!
daisy fans will say its fake
WINNER: TOADBERT
MATCH 5
LAKITUTHEQUICK vs BBQ TURTLE
BASKETBALL
WINNER: BBQ TURTLE
MATCH 6
POWER FLOTZO vs FAWFULTHEGREAT64
OLYMPICS
WINNER: FAWFULTHEGREAT64
MATCH 7a
HOODED PITOHUI vs KINGSBOURNE ALPHA
EDUCATION
Turboo Teaches Typing
WINNER: HOODED PITOHUI
MATCH 7b
KINGSBOURNE SIGMA vs MSRETROGEEK
PUZZLES
WINNER: MSRETROGEEK
MATCH 8
WINSTEIN vs LUIGI 64DD
BASEBALL
Mario Stupor Sluggers
WINNER: WINSTEIN
MATCH 9
MRCONCRETEDONKEY vs OHOJEEONFIRE
PARTIES
It`s a two party system! You have to vote for one of us!
WINNER: MRCONCRETEDONKEY
MATCH 10
TURBOO vs NINELEVENDO
EDUCATION
Kirby`s Gourmet Lecture
WINNER: TIE!
MATCH 11
YOSHI TSSM vs ZELEN
GO-KARTING
Go-Karting Yoshis
like the kevin macleod song
WINNER: ZELEN
MATCH 12
GABUMON vs ROSERADE
HEALTHCARE
Mushroom Kingdom Healthcare (GONE WRONG)
WINNER: GABUMON
MATCH 13
INSANEBLATHERS vs SUPERCHAO
GOLF
WINNER: BLATHERS
Note: Blathers' Scribble was originally a 112x112px square. It has been upscaled to hold the same visual weight as Superchao's Scribble when side-by-side.

Last edited:

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
1661212219817.png

1661212206661.png

-MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN HAVE SHOWN THEMSELVES-
-SPLENDID-
-I BET THEYRE GETTING INTO ALL KINDS OF SILLY SCRAPES-
-PAY THEM NO MIND THEYRE JUST HAVING FUN-

shralpha.png
shrigma.png

New Scribblers have been discovered! The Kingsbournes are Nicely Placated Conjurations (NPCs, if you will), spawned from the innermost chambers of the King. They like to goof around and have fun, probably!
The Kingsbournes act as vessels, for artists from beyond this world - in the case of missing players, rule-breaking Scribbles, or other emergencies, they're happy to fill in! Think of them as temporary backups.

Only Alpha and Sigma are here... hm.

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Round 1 voting is over!

Thank you again to everyone who has taken part so far, Scribblers and voters alike. I'm so cheesed to have the honour of hosting this event to let your creativity shine. One particular sensual Car Wash image will remain burned into my soul for years to come. No names.

There were 38 votes, which caused one tie! Turboo and Ninelevendo consumed and insurged so hard that they were evenly matched in power. Their point is split in half, and shared between them.

All the other winners, pictured below, receive 1 point each! Congratulations on your first victory!

Top: Gabumon, MsRetroGeek, Hearts, Hooded Pitohui, Winstein, Toadbert101, MrConcreteDonkey

Bottom: BBQ Turtle, Zelen, InsaneBlathers, FawfulTheGreat64, Waluigi Time, Reverse Input

Note: Hooded Pitohui and MsRetroGeek won against the Kingsbournes. As the NPCs don't exist on Challonge, they have been marked as tying against each other. However, in the final point tally at the end of the game, this will be corrected.

The matchups have been updated - click here to see the Challonge bracket for Round 2!

The Scribble Showdown is over. The participants are congratulated, and all are invited to stay in the local lodgings, to avoid making their lengthy journeys to their realms of origin at such a late hour. Tomorrow, the winners will receive wealth and wisdom, and will bid farewell to the King until another year.

Oh, woah - what's this?

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oh, excellent!
As the fallen hero wandered the lands, he searched for a new purpose. Bested by the King, he had nowhere to go. No place to call home. Standing atop of a lofty mountain, the Insurgent of Electric Blue gazed upon the Land of Scribbles, finally realising what he must do. With the crack of lighting behind him and a surge of determination, he descended towards his new opponent, his next challenge…

7F87EF68-464B-45E1-9297-407EEC1ACC31.png
CCE6A446-1F66-4E8A-977F-CF691029784B.png

Hello, I’m you host, Ninelevendo, the Insurgent of Electric Blue, and welcome to Late Night Scribbling, your one stop guide for all things scribbly, where we look at various techniques and ideas that you could use for your next scribble. On tonight’s show we’ll be starting at the basics: Brush Size and Colours!

B0BE786E-CDBC-4923-80EB-AD6B9FB9C542.png

Let’s start with a sample image featuring our favourite little god slayer, Kirby. He’s pretty simple to draw, just draw a circle, dot the eyes, add a big smile, you can guess the rest. Throw in a quick background, and hey, there you go! You’ve already made a scribble. Easy peasy, squeeze the proverbial lemon. But what can we do from here?

48415D42-50D0-4BBF-A43A-F8893CCDE1CE.png

First, let’s talk about brush widths. Most image editing programs come with the option to increase or decrease the width of your brush, which could also be called line weight. Using this to create thicker outlines for objects or thinner lines to add more detail can help to make certain elements stand out, which makes it easier to add a bunch of things to your drawing without it looking like a, well, scribble. Take a look at Kirby in our example image, he stands out just that bit more and looks much more like a fellow with a name that should be part of your knowledge. If you’re unable to change the brush size (or if you’re drawing with a physical pencil), you can simply go over the lines yourself to manually draw them thicker.

90456778-BB6B-46E0-AD30-FF563F4E0F19.png

Next we’re going to take a look at colour. While each of us have all chosen our own individual colour, the fact that we are all limited to that colour as well as black and white means that we essentially all have the ability to use our colours in the same ways. A fairly easy and common way to begin a drawing is to use black outlines on a white background. This method will come naturally to pretty much all of us; this is essentially what we do with paper in day to day life when we do even basic things like write a shopping list. From there, we can colour in elements to give the image more vibrancy and help the foreground objects to stand out more. Giving smaller objects a different colour from their surroundings can help them stand out more as well, without the need to add more detail. Simple, but effective.

F1A60FBD-A322-45A8-8CF1-FB9465484126.png

However, don’t feel like you need to restrict yourself to these standards. If you really want your scribble to stand out, why not try inverting the way that you use black and white? You could even use your colour as an outline; this can lead to some interesting changes in how you view the objects that you draw. You don’t need to set limits on how you use your palette either, just because you used white as an outline in one part of the image doesn’t mean that you can’t then change to another colour for another object! Messing around with how you use colours can lead to some pretty wacky and sometimes fascinating results, so feel free to try it for yourself and find out just how different it can be!

That’s all for our show tonight, hopefully you’ve all got some new ideas to use for your next scribble. Join me next week as we take a look at how to add some detail to your drawing with Shading, as well as the many different forms it can take. That’s all for tonight, and remember to stay as fresh as a wet bucket of paint! Later!

Lee Chaolan

Oh, excellent!
a tiny shop for bugs
C5C7725F-2F51-4019-BE98-0C5BBB70A5DA.png

Breaking News: Recent developments have lead to the discovery of bugs creating tiny shops. This shocking rapid growth in the species development has left many asking just how far these creatures will go, and if their society will overtake ours in a what can only be a small amount of time. It is diffuclt to know just when these shift of the natural order will occur, but I, for one, welcome our new bug overlords, and would like to remind them that as a trusted TV scribbler I could provide assistance in their world domination. That’s all the news for tonight folks, I’ll see you next time, possibly as the bug race’s step person.

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Overnight...

As the bell struck the morning tolls, the legion of Scribblers awoke, awashed in the faint warmth of the golden sunrise. Ready to leave, champions and otherwise were all raring to return home, and share their new riches with their people. However, upon exiting the barracks and approaching the outer gates of Fort Neverset, something became very apparently wrong. It was obvious to anyone who peered past the walls.

1661381904747.png

...Oh.

The reports came in fast. A colossal mass of pure dark limbs had wrenched the capital from its bedrock, and suspended it high above the land. The rest of the kingdom, exposed. By gathering all viable Scribble warriors in the most fortified grounds, one massive weak spot had been produced.

The geography of the Scribble Kingdom was well documented. Each hue, appropriately marked and bounded. A prismatic planet surface containing many colours, beyond reprieve. Its inhabitants, marked by the land they dwell in. But, beyond the earth, nothing was known. A force below the surface? A sentient, will-imposing entity? A strange and irritated (and very dark) tree?

Something new was coming. Something decidedly... hostile. And it already knew where to strike.

The King's orders were immediate. All available Scribblers were dispatched in pairs. An army is to be raised, and the warriors had to train. Techniques refined, abilities acquired, items invented. Anything could happen, except ruin.

CLICK ON THE ROYAL BRAND TO OPEN THE ROUND TWO THEME!

ROUND 2 is open! ABILITIES/TOOLS has prompts related to items, equipment, and powers used across the Mario games. Be aware! There are no repeated prompts from last year's ITEMS round. And, of course, your Scribbles don't have to be related to Mario! Creative interpretation of the prompt you're given is encouraged.

Round Two Ends:

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Before Round 2 begins proper, I would like to briefly discuss a few details, mostly about the Spirit of Scribble.

Scribble, at its core, is riffing on fast-paced, loose Pictionary-type games where creativity and interpretation come first. It was created as a way to give anyone and everyone a chance to make art at the same level as their fellow players. That's the reason behind a lot of the restrictions - making sure everyone's operating at the same level. This very much includes Scribblers who choose to draw on real paper! To that end, I'd like to formally put into place some clarifications and rules about what is and isn't allowed when Scribbling.

These rules have been previously implied, but not formalised. I was lenient during Round 1 since most people haven't Scribbled in a year, and some haven't Scribbled at all! But, we're in a war now, and I'm putting on my serious mask.

Allowed wholeheartedly:
  • Freehand drawing with a pixel brush
  • Using a Fill Tool (in part because there is no way I could reasonably enforce this)
  • Using layers, if your software has them (I consider this to be the tradeoff for less control over resolution and detail that the physical Scribblers benefit from)
Acceptable, but avoid if you're able:
  • Line tools (rulers do exist in real life, after all)
Pushing it, don't use this extensively:
  • Perfect shape tools (yes, technically if you had a ruler and a compass or protractor you could make a regular pentagon with a pencil and paper, but don't push your luck)
Banned entirely:
  • Thresholding (creating a picture that intentionally uses more than 3 colours, and then putting it through an image processor to make it compliant with the basic rules)
  • Any advanced filters or effects exclusive to some software (distortion, posterizing, noise generators, etc - this will be reviewed case-by-case)
  • Text generators/typesetters
  • Automatic dithering (interlacing individual pixels of different colours to make it look like a mix when zoomed out. If you really want to do this, you have to place each pixel down one at a time by hand, and even then, don't push it).
  • Copy and paste

These details may change as time goes on.

The most important thing to consider when creating your Scribble is, "Could a person with a marker and a piece of paper, drawing without any other tools, accomplish this?" The less reasonable your 'yes' is, the more you risk your Scribble being frowned upon or even rejected entirely. I've got my little Kingsbournes backing me up at any time, so rejections aren't an issue for me!

I would also strongly encourage voters to think about the Spirit of Scribble when placing their votes! It's important to set a fair game where everyone can play with the same tools in the same way. If someone's doing something that most others can't to make their Scribble, that's no good.

But the thing I'd encourage the most is, have fun! Don't take it too seriously, this is a silly game about silly people making silly doodles. The best way to make a good Scribble is to, well, Scribble!

"But, TPG, you used animations and 3D effects in your story posts!"
I'm the King of Sunset Gold, and the power bestowed upon me grants me the ability to do what I want. If you desire such power, you'll unfortunately have to kill me first.

Waluigi Time

Get It Together!
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Following their victory in the Scribble Showdown, Waluigi Time, Shbig Changes, and the Remaster of Dark Purple began the long journey back home.

"What did I tell you, Shbig? The Remaster-2000 is the ultimate scribbling machine!"

Unfortunately,
their return home would have to wait, as beyond the walls of Fort Neverset, something had clearly gone terribly wrong.

2022Story1.png

"Hey, what's with all this... tentacley stuff?"

Shbig chittered in response.

"No, no, krakens attack cruise ships and stuff, not fortresses on land! Besides, I'm pretty sure krakens aren't real."

"HASTA WAH VISTA, KRAKEN!"

"Hey, you're equipped for scribbling, not fighting mysterious tentacley masses! Come on, let's tell the king about this..."

Unbeknownst to this motley crew, the king was already well aware of the dilemma, and issued orders to all available scribblers - it was time for battle.

"Alright Remaster, time for some changes..."

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Round 2 Submissions have now ended!

I'm pleased to report that out of the 25 submitted Scribbles, 25 of them were completely perfect! Shout out to everyone for definitely reading the rules and making some grand content that entirely fits within the new guidelines. I love you all. Unfortunately, we had one missing Scribble this week - but I'm sure you'll be charmed by the dubious Kingsbourne Oumega, who subbed in for a quick backup! Excuse his excessive vowel usage. He insisted.

Anyway once more, here's all the Scribbles! Have a browse, marvel at the wonderful work of your peers, and then decide their fate. You'll be able to see the matchup, each submission and their respective prompt/battle number.

This time, if an image has a title, it'll be displayed below the picture!

The voting form can be found at the end of this post!

MATCH 14
TURBOO vs MSRETROGEEK
FIREBALL
they`re drinking whiskey. please clap

they`re drinking whiskey. please clap
A Challenger Approaches!

A Challenger Approaches!
WINNER: Turboo
MATCH 15
FANTANOICE vs NINELEVENDO
THUNDERHAND
Monkey Plumbing

Monkey Plumbing
UNLIMITED POWER!

UNLIMITED POWER!
WINNER: Fantanoice
MATCH 16
ZELEN vs HOODED PITOHUI
BOMBS
bird green questions the presence of multiple bird greys

bird green questions the presence of multiple bird greys
A Peek at the Goods

A Peek at the Goods
WINNER: Hooded Pitohui
MATCH 17
FUN WITH DESPAIR vs ZANGE
SWORDS

WINNER: Fun With Despair
MATCH 18
LUIGI 64DD vs GOOMBUIGI
HAMMER

WINNER: Goombuigi
MATCH 19
OHOJEEONFIRE vs LAKITUTHEQUICK
POLTERGUST
Don’t worry, Mario! I’ll save you!

Don’t worry, Mario! I’ll save you!

WINNER: Lakituthequick
MATCH 20
ROSERADE vs POWER FLOTZO
FOOD
Kompetition`s Fierce This Year

Kompetition`s Fierce This Year

WINNER: Roserade
MATCH 21
SUPERCHAO vs KINGSBOURNE OUMEGA
MAGIC WAND

Dobbys revenge

Dobbys Revenge
WINNER: Superchao
MATCH 22
INSANEBLATHERS vs FAWFULTHEGREAT64
MASKS

WINNER: InsaneBlathers
MATCH 23
GABUMON vs BBQ TURTLE
MAGIC PAINTBRUSH

WINNER: Gabumon
MATCH 24
MRCONCRETEDONKEY vs TOADBERT
VIBES
I hate vibes

I hate vibes
good vibes only

good vibes only
WINNER: Toadbert
MATCH 25
WINSTEIN vs HEARTS
CANNONBALL
On this day, Wario was banned at the pool

On this day, Wario was banned at the pool
comedy

comedy
WINNER: Winstein
MATCH 26
REVERSE INPUT vs WALUIGI TIME
SWORDS
Formidable Adversary! First Mate Ukiki`s Four-Sword Style!

Formidable Adversary! First Mate Ukiki`s Four-Sword Style!

WINNER: Waluigi Time

Last edited:

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His

-EVERLASTING GODSTOPPERS TEAM REPORT-
-INVESTIGATION INTO THE OVERRULING OF THE GRAND BENEVOLENT AUTHORITY-
-By the Kingsnewbournes (Alpha, Gamma, Oumega, Sigma)

The prismatic blast comprising of 32 perfectly balanced hues and bloodlines proves to contain enough strength within to annihilate the spirit of a God-tier Scribble Warrior.

This force overrides the properties of the victim that allow it to become whole. It is known that a Scribble Warrior is formed from the three pillars of our society - the black shadow, the white light, and, most importantly, the blood, unique to each Scribble Warrior, that colours the world around them. By pulling at the strings that keep this holy trinity bound to one another, each is forced apart. This effectively tears apart the very soul of the victim.

Each pillar, meagre as they are on their own, retreat to their natural springs;

• The darkness returns below the crust of the land, hiding forever more from the light above.
  • The light ascends back to whichever heaven it once came from.

• The blood is persistent. Without form, it has no claim to the land it possesses, and yet it cannot be absorbed into the bloodline of another.

The blood of the Grand Benevolent Authority has not yet been found, as of the time of this report - two moons after the annihilation documented in this presentation. The blinding light of the eternal Sunset at the moment of impact rendered all known observatories useless, so there is no method of solving the trajectory of this blood via traditional calculation. Time will tell if it can survive long enough for it to be found.

1 hour left to vote!

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Round 2 voting is over!

A fine display of art and creativity this week. Thank you again for paying attention and abiding to the new guidelines! Hopefully you were karmically rewarded with glory. This time, there were 37 votes! One less than last week, but that means there are no ties. Another Kingsbourne introduced, but defeated all the same. Will my beautiful grandchildren ever see praise beyond a medal for trying?

Anyway, we got some winners. They get 1 point each!

Top: FWD, Hooded Pitohui, Winstein, Waluigi Time, Fantanoice, Blathers

Bottom: Turboo, Goombuigi, Gabumon, Toadbert, Roserade, Superchao, Lakituthequick

The matchups have been updated - click here to see the Challonge bracket for Round 3!

The ritual is complete. Through training, practice, and ample preparation, each Scribble Warrior was granted a weapon, a power, something to face the threat from below. The mass of darkness surely can't withstand the might of 26 of our generation's greatest? Time will tell when it makes its advance -

-OOOUAUUGUGHHHHHGHHHGHHHH!!!!-

The famous tune of a ginormous sousaphone rumbles across the plateau. A signal from the King. The warriors are soon to advance upon this threat, and drive it back to the miserable hole from which it spewed its assault.

1661905193294.png

The troubling tale continues...

Lee Chaolan

Oh, excellent!
5516CF2D-421D-485E-9059-F6E7F39DDC24.png

Hello and welcome once again to Late Night Scribbling, a scribbly show for scribbly people. We may currently be under attack by some giant black monster thing, but that just means more scribbling for us! Speaking of dark, black things, tonight we’ll be looking at shading, an important artistic technique for any style of drawing which has many different applications, making it a tool that’s easy to use, but hard to master.

0766DAEB-7C09-4AA2-980E-E415D1A02897.png

Within the colour restrictions of scribble, we don’t have access to every shading technique, most notably the usage of gradients. But that doesn’t mean that we don’t still have plenty of other options! Here are a few examples. We’ll once again be using Kirby as our sample subject, but this time he’ll be missing his hands, feet, eyes, mouth, and generally any other identifiable features.

7CEFACED-2B1C-4E3D-A12A-8F2A0AC55FA8.png

Cel Shading
A style that is typically known for its usage in animation, such as cartoons and anime, cel shading forgoes a smooth transition in colour for sharp change, giving the shading a harder look while also being much easier to draw.

51E06719-B8E8-4BEF-9A38-1B63E586A792.png

63BCA08F-C73B-4E87-B369-935B9D7E011B.png

Hatching and Cross Hatching
A common style in many comic strips, hatching is simple way to make things appear darker without changing colour. Hatching involves drawing straight lines to convey a shadow or darker areas, while crosshatching does the same thing but adds perpendicular lines, which can make things look even darker as a result. You can even use both styles simultaneously for greater effect.

1426CB0C-BDCC-4926-9C02-2A78885C4747.png

Feathering
Similar to hatching, but uses lines that follow the contour of the object with the general idea of making things look softer or lighter, giving an object a more pronounced 3D effect.

B41E0B15-B46E-4B44-B162-E12B817E45CE.png
354D4FC7-831E-412E-9ED8-654522888D2D.png
21098AD5-4858-4D72-ACDC-F7858EB44C8C.png

Light Source
As the idea for shading is to replicate shadows and the effect that light has on objects, having the position of the light source in mind is important for keeping the 3D illusion. Try to imagine where the light is coming from, and use that to keep the shadows consistent.

8BFC3D7E-E146-4C58-A239-302B1B96F7E7.png

Have Fun!
And most importantly, just have fun with shading! Use colours, blend styles, deliberately do things that seem nonsensical… You don’t need to restrict yourself to only using one style or styles that you know. Experiment and see what works! You might even accidentally work out something that you like. Oh, and Kirby seems to have gotten his limbs back. Good for him.

Well that’s a wrap for tonight folks. I’ll get back to training my thunderhand technique to scare off that big dark monster thingy. In the meantime, don’t forgot to throw some shade! Or something. I couldn’t make the joke work. Cya!

Last edited:

TPG (2)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His

The newly christened Scribble Army raised their methods of destruction skyward, ready to drive back the strange intruder. The strokes of darkness arcing into the sky, almost reaching far above the grounds.

It hadn't attacked anyone, yet. Disturbed the crop fields via seismic bisection? Perhaps. But active threats do not stand by while an army advances on it.

But then, it was seen. Blinding light raining down, a great and terrible deluge of white pointed straight towards the heart of the plateau.

Two pillars clash.

Two pillars intertwine.

Two pillars birth new beasts.

The Scribble Showdown has begun.

CLICK ON THE ROYAL BRAND TO OPEN THE ROUND THREE THEME!

ROUND THREE is open! BOSS BATTLES offers a new challenge - while its prompts are the least abstract, Scribblers will be tasked with creating action and character art, if that's how they choose to interpret their prompt! As always, you don't have to make it about Mario - you'll have to get creative, though!

Round Three Ends:

Last edited: