Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Hey hey~✰ Let's ignore whatever that thing is up above and check whether Cepheus looks like a bomb LITERALLY went off in it!"

Dr. R. Bushroot

Speaks for the weeds
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

"Friends, I just nodded off for a little bit and I had the strangest dream.

There was a portly man in it, and he held a grand speech. I couldn't quite make out what it was about because of his thick accent, but whatever he said, he was really passionate about it."

"Maybe he should be our captain."

Auburn

Polly Geist
Pronouns
He/him
On our way we made a stop at Ms. Blumenthal's room, where I got a chance to peruse her latest manuscript, and..."

"...let's just say I am quite glad I'm incapable of blushing anymore.

She had a story she was reading out to us, something about Senpai and Bushroot sharing a bed...?
polly_eyebrows.png

You know, Acedia showed me this fanfic last night too!

My favorite part was when AU!Bushroot valiantly protected AU!Sholmes from Yoshi and Pepé Le Pew.

polly_winky.png

I can't wait to read more of your fanfics, boo! You are an amazingly talented writer.

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
Poll Committee
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair

...Yes, I believe you'll find that Miss Blumenthal has quite the "unique" taste in fiction. I was even treated to a sample of her magnum opus: Heart of Gold, in which the Golden Phanto himself presumably goes on to-

...Well, there are children posting here aren't there? I should probably take care with what I say.

Nonetheless, I am quite confident that her works are, at the very least, quite popular with their target audiences!

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
On the Promenade Game Strip...

*Sigh* (Lost too many lives to make a night out of this like we were planning, but, I reckon tonight's the night they were waiting for. Critters can't pretend the leaves ain't turning just because they don't want the cold to blow in. Reckon I best tell 'em all...)

(Some of 'em are even wagging their tongues about making me captain. Shucks, I'm flattered, but, how am I 'sposed to accept that when I've let them down like trees tipping from axe blows?)

(It's not helping anyone that the waves are churning like they are now. Those clouds gathering on the horizon. I know they're angry. I can't fault 'em. Life taking life outside of nature's cycles, it just ain't right.)

(Feels now like it did back then... You've gotta be strong for 'em, Fern. They need you to lead right now. It's time go get up there and make the announcement.)

A voice rings out over the intercom.

I know it's not quite like everybody expected, but, we all grouped up and set out for this, so reckon you all should hear. The comet we've been waiting for is going to be hanging in the sky over the S.S. Circinus tonight. That rose red comet'll be hanging over the rear decks, so everyone who wants a look should group up on the Promenade Game Strip tonight and whistle to round up the others.

Hold out some hope for clear skies, though. I don't want to put out the fire, but, from the tracks I'm seeing, it looks like a storm is brewing.

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"So then... how long is that Balcony rope? Are there any cuts, rips, tears in it? Anything that matches up to a rope in the Waterworks...?"
o clear this business up, as I offered to earlier I will present the rope in question for examination.
Enomoto presents a rope, thin, but sturdy. It looks like a coiled length of rope about large enough to extend down one full deck of the ship. There's no cuts, tears, or anything similar, but there are a few frayed strands of hemp ready to come off of it.

check whether Cepheus looks like a bomb LITERALLY went off in it!"
You look in Cepheus, trying to find anything that might tip you off to a bomb having gone off. There's no scorch marks, nothing looks like it was blasted away from any point, there's no strange odors.

My favorite part was when AU!Bushroot valiantly protected AU!Sholmes from Yoshi and Pepé Le Pew.

(...did she read another story tonight? Do I say anything? I think I'll just let them... go with that...)

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"...Oh, that reminds me. I want to get this out of the way while I'm still here, so...
Are there any books about the Maseon language... the "bathroom signs", as I believe Mr. Shinkai put it in his writings... in the Nautical Adventure, Crew Quarters, Captain's Quarters, or the Bridge? I'd like to take a crack at translating it, you see."

"Kuso-usagi-kun! Did Miss Chalice have her crowbar on Night Numero Dos?
I meaaaaaaaan, Mr. Fielder to-tal-ly checked her body that night, so you don't have to hide it from any of us~ I'll get you to cough it up with a secret revealing beam! ♡"

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"...Oh, that reminds me. I want to get this out of the way while I'm still here, so...
Are there any books about the Maseon language... the "bathroom signs", as I believe Mr. Shinkai put it in his writings... in the Nautical Adventure, Crew Quarters, Captain's Quarters, or the Bridge? I'd like to take a crack at translating it, you see."
You go searching for books on the Maseon languages in these rooms, but your search turns up empty. It appears the books that you're searching for are not on this vessel.

"Kuso-usagi-kun! Did Miss Chalice have her crowbar on Night Numero Dos?

What, did you not notice it when you investigated her body then?

You didn't?!

Oh. There was a clean crowbar on her body during your day two investigations, 'k? No matter what you heard before.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Hey... Miss Acedia. Do you mind if I check the trash can in your room? I want to check the drink cans inside and out... including my own, if you have that."

"Shamelessly digging through a lady's trash! I'd expect nothing less from you, Mi-do-ri~!"

"..."

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"Hey... Miss Acedia. Do you mind if I check the trash can in your room? I want to check the drink cans inside and out... including my own, if you have that."

Sure, it's fine. (Maybe you can take the trash out, too. That'd help.)

Acedia allows you to enter her cabin, where you inspect her trash can. It appears that there's three emptied cans of tea in here and an emptied plastic cup with drops of melon chūhai left in it.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Does the blood trail in the Atrium look like it was made... 'naturally'? You know, with the body being dragged and all that.

Are there any parts of the Atrium that seem abnormally clean...? Extra care to check the port side, maybe...?

Are there any blood packs missing from the Infirmary?"

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"Does the blood trail in the Atrium look like it was made... 'naturally'? You know, with the body being dragged and all that.
While it's impossible to say for certain whether to the trail looks natural or not without running a test, it looks fairly messy. There's larger splotches of blood in some parts of the trail, smaller drops in some parts of the trail, and it's not perfectly straight.

Are there any parts of the Atrium that seem abnormally clean...? Extra care to check the port side, maybe...?
You elect to look around the Atrium, deciding to check the port side balcony too. Nothing in the Atrium itself or on the portside balcony looks exceptionally clean.

EDIT: However, on the portside balcony, you do find a pair of ice skates.

Are there any blood packs missing from the Infirmary?"
You head into the infirmary, looking for blood packs and finding a few. They appear entirely undisturbed.

Last edited:

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Investigate the ice skates! It kinda rhymes! ✰"

"Mr. Rabbit, could I take a closer look at the Golden Phanto costume and rope in the Captain's Quarters?"

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"Investigate the ice skates! It kinda rhymes! ✰"

"Mr. Rabbit, could I take a closer look at the Golden Phanto costume and rope in the Captain's Quarters?"
You take a look at the ice skates. It's a single pair. They don't appear to be particularly special in any way. There's the slightest hint of moisture on the bottom of their blades.

You take a look at the costume and the rope in the captain's quarters. The costume appears to be well-crafted, but it seems like it was stitched together, metaphorically. Not all of its pieces match each other, and the mask, while convincing, appears to be made partially out of paper mache and masking tape. It's crumpled up.

The rope is coiled up, right next to the costume. It appears to be thinner than Enomoto's rope, though it's just as long. It appears there's some signs of fraying hemp strands on the rope.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Well... Miss Acedia... I'm sure you have an answer for me on this.
Is your 'Golden Phanto' particularly quick-thinking? Maybe nimble on his feet, able to adapt to whatever environment's around him...?"

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Is your 'Golden Phanto' particularly quick-thinking? Maybe nimble on his feet, able to adapt to whatever environment's around him...?"

Nimble? Quick-thinking? Quick to adapt? That's him!

He's almost magical. In his greatest heists, he's even used equipment and security measures left at the scene of the crime. He knows just the right way to use technology to seem like a magician. He's dashing and cunning and daring... and I bet he'd even be strong enough to lift me in his arms and carry me away...

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Super... Skating... Rink... Cheeeeeeeck!"

"Plus! The body doesn't show any signs of having hockey pads and gear blended up with it, right?
Someone might've looted our victim, maaaaaaaybe!"

Auburn

Polly Geist
Pronouns
He/him

...Yes, I believe you'll find that Miss Blumenthal has quite the "unique" taste in fiction. I was even treated to a sample of her magnum opus: Heart of Gold, in which the Golden Phanto himself presumably goes on to-

...Well, there are children posting here aren't there? I should probably take care with what I say.

Nonetheless, I am quite confident that her works are, at the very least, quite popular with their target audiences!
polly_winky.png

Call me her target audience then! I learned a lot about Bushlock last night, and I WILL be googling it once all this is over.

Compare the fraying hemp from the rope in the Captain's Quarters to the strands of hemp on the Balcony railing.

Take a quick peek in the Navigation Room to see if anything looks out of place.

Let's take a closer look at the calling card in the Exhibition Room.

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
Poll Committee
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair

Now that the matter of the theft is mostly resolved, with no thanks given to Shmaluigi, we find ourselves with ample room to examine the remaining crime, which frankly is also probably of vastly more import, considering the incentive.

That's right, I speak of the murder.

I want to make one thing clear before I proceed - my next deduction is not an accusation. I just wish to examine the case from another angle - a crucial tactic for any detective!

So, once again I bring you... Herlock Sholmes' Logic and Reasoning Spectacular!

While a mysterious heist was being carried out one deck above, trouble was brewing below... Right underneath my very own game of shuffleboard, even! I've heard of games going to "sudden death", but this is just too much!

...Rather low-effort attempts at comedy aside, our investigations over the past while have mostly determined our previous number one suspects - Shmaluigi and Ms. Geist, to likely be occupied with a few activities, namely stealing the Fortuna Shard and cleaning the theater.

I have good reason to believe Ms. Geist, and frankly if Mr. Shmaluigi attempted to lie any harder at this point, I'd suggest he hop back in time to the early 2010s and take up that "planking" craze that all the youth were into.

So, where does that leave us?

Well, there is still a fair suspect pool, but once again my gaze falls on Nathan Fielder as a potential suspect. Tragic, I'm aware, as I'd previously accused him of being our thief, yet in this 11th hour, I find myself seeking any and all information I can get, so hopefully this angle leads to some manner of revelation.

You see, around the time of the murder, Mr. Fielder attests to being in Cepheus, our vessel's upscale restaurant. His intentions? To destroy the place completely. I can't fathom why he bothered with this, but if you look at it from the angle of Fielder being the killer, it begins to make more sense.

If we pay attention to the map, you'll be able to note that Cepheus is rather close to a few locations of note - the Infirmary and the Balconies.

The Infirmary, being the closest to the restaurant of the vital rooms, would have been an easy place for Mr. Fielder to stop on his way to wreck the restaurant, or even an easy place to duck out of the restaurant and slip into unseen. Furthermore... It would appear that from Cepheus to the Balconies is also a very short walk, which eliminates any sort of issues akin to the ones that an accusation against Ms. Geist would, namely the issue of traveling between decks in a limited timeframe. Mr. Fielder would need no such window of time - the balconies were right there!

But of course, there is always "one more question", isn't there? The matter of how Mr. Fielder knew about the crowbar on Ms. Chalice's person.

That, my friends, has a simple explanation. Perhaps even surprisingly so!

You'll recall that upon our second night here, Mr. Fielder entered Maintenance in search of the blueprints, a search that led to only disappointment, as they held nothing of note beyond a small description of Acraman's laser array.

But Maintenance was locked to passengers, wasn't it?

That's right, as Mr. Fielder himself attested, to get into the room he required a keycard - one that he obtained after searching the body of Ms. Chalice that very same night.

And of course that would mean... That Nathan Fielder would have known she had a crowbar - a fact that he never disclosed.

And so, we come to... Well, not a conclusion, but merely a possibility. The possibility that Nathan Fielder, with his memory of the crowbar's location, could have slipped out of Cepheus, stolen the crowbar, knocked Dr. Coyle over the head, and tossed her over the balcony. All without the need to attempt on our first night and obtain the crowbar himself.

Mr. Fielder... I would like nothing more than to work with you to save my ailing business, but if this theory is true, then I'm sorry to say that you should instead focus that effort on saving yourself!

Last edited:

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
"Super... Skating... Rink... Cheeeeeeeck!"
Looking in the skating rink, you find that there's a pair of ice skates missing, and, inspecting the ice itself, you can see faint little trails in the ice that lead from the starboard side of the rink all the way to the port side of the rink.

"Plus! The body doesn't show any signs of having hockey pads and gear blended up with it, right? Someone might've looted our victim, maaaaaaaybe!"
You look more closely at the body and at the waterworks machinery. The body has nothing blended up in it, but inspecting the machinery more closely, you're able to find some fluff and a mangled pair of earmuffs.

Compare the fraying hemp from the rope in the Captain's Quarters to the strands of hemp on the Balcony railing.
The frayed hemp on the rope appears to match the hemp on the Balcony railing.

Take a quick peek in the Navigation Room to see if anything looks out of place.
It looks like a few items in here - a compass and sextant - have been moved, but they remain near their original locations.

Let's take a closer look at the calling card in the Exhibition Room.
You look more closely at the card. It appears to be made of a high-quality, glossy paper, with intricate attention to detail, and depicts a red and white grinning mask with golden accents.

The Atrium on the S.S. Circinus

In the midst of the investigation, the elevator door opens, and out into the atrium steps...

That's it! I'm not sitting around any longer! I'm not letting him take this from me!

Hold on, 'k? You're out of the game. You can't interfere with the investigations, either. Go back to hiding down at the Bri-

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up, you dumb rabbit! I don't care what you have to say, because I'm not interfering! I know more than you think! I know they can't play the game without being able to find all the evidence, so I'm going to give them the evidence they can't know about without me!

...if there's evidence on you, give it up, 'k? Then scurry back away.

All of you! (Gaaaaah! I'd... I'd... right now......!)

Rebels and Nathan, listen to me, because I'm not saying it again! I found this card right before we left! I know what it means! It means someone wanted to take everything I had! I was expected to get out of the way and let them take everything I worked for!

ALL I WANT TO SEE IS THEM TO BE THROWN INTO THE SEA! I DON'T CARE WHO DID IT! I DON'T CARE WHO LEFT THE CALLING CARD! I CARE THAT I GET TO SEE THEM PUNISHED! FOR TAKING EVERYTHING FROM ME!

A calling card!? That's how the Golden Phanto tells his target he plans to strike! He leaves a calling card, and then another once he finally strikes!

GAAAAAAAAARAAAAAHHHH!

In a hurry, Storm stomps off towards cabin 14, jamming himself into the door. It unlocks a moment later, as MB-K looks around, and Storm proceeds in, the door closing behind him, and a card left on the ground in the Atrium.

Ignore him, 'k? He's back out of the way now, and you've got the extra evidence. What's the detective like to say? The game is afoot, kyuyuyu!

Last edited:

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
"Do the skating rink trails go out the port side door, as it were? Or do they stop nearby?"

Dr. R. Bushroot

Speaks for the weeds
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

"Mazza, could you do me a favor?

I'd like to take a look at your hands, if it is okay?"

If he consents, I examine his hands for marks of friction, little tears, abrasions, signs that would indicate that he climbed a rough-textured, frayed rope recently.