Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
It's that time of the year again: The Poll Committee Chairperson Election!

If you are interested in leading the 13th Poll Committee, please, read the details on the section and submit your campaign here.

Please, keep in mind that this thread should only be used if it is pertaining for the Poll Committee Chairperson Election, such as announcements of your candidacy, or for sending questions to our potential candidates. Thank you!

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I have submitted my campaign too, yesterday. I encourage any questions users have to be asked.

Meta Knight

Power Star
Former 'Shroom Staff
To all candidates and VP running mates, I'm stealing this from the 'Shroom Election,

Thank you Edo for this historical recurring question said:
To both parties:

What is, in your opinion, the most fun kind of cake to bake? If you have never baked a cake, you can substitute another baked good. If you've never baked at all, you can base your answer on what you imagine it to be like.

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I love baking orange chocolate cake and then putting the glazing on top! It’s probably my favorite dessert, along with raspberry chocolate cake.

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
To all other candidates, Oh Jee On Fire, and Ray Trace AORN:
What are your thoughts on how I would alter Hooded's 11th Poll Committee system, with two polls focused on instead of one? Would you implement this, the original system Pitohui had, or neither?

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
@Redktan the Robeless You've frequently stated that you're subject to very strict internet restrictions that can, apparently, change at any time without notice. What confidence do you have that you would reliably have access to Crowdsignal to change the polls? Are you able to access https://crowdsignal.com/ and https://wordpress.com/ (required for logging in) right now?

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
@Redktan the Robeless You've frequently stated that you're subject to very strict internet restrictions that can, apparently, change at any time without notice. What confidence do you have that you would reliably have access to Crowdsignal to change the polls? Are you able to access https://crowdsignal.com/ and https://wordpress.com/ (required for logging in) right now?
Very good question @Shmaluigi. The answer is that the area where I am staying when I move out starting on August 19th has computers that there is a very high chance are not as unreasonably restricted, so if my computer starts blocking those websites, I will use the computers there. Both Crowdsignal and Wordpress are not blocked right now when I click on their links although my computer is on one of its more lenient spurts right now, but if they are blocked I will ask my parents to unblock them. If my parents refuse I will have the vice chairperson implement the polls from late July to earlier August.

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
alright i threw my metaphorical hat in the metaphorical ring so i'll tackle the infamous cake question

for me, it's cheesecake. now, you can ask me what kind or get real specific with it and ask me how i prepare it, but in reality I like to make any sort of cheesecakes because its both my favorite and also very versatile. blueberry, chocolate, raspberry, PUMPKIN, you can throw anything in there, even cookies if you want to be a double degenerate.

plus, you can make it with or without even needing to bake it depending on the recipe, which makes it easy to prepare while the oven is occupied with another dish. also it's just fun to make too, cream cheese blender goes brrrr

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
What are your thoughts on how I would alter Hooded's 11th Poll Committee system, with two polls focused on instead of one? Would you implement this, the original system Pitohui had, or neither?
oh I'll answer this too.

Generally speaking, I 100% plan on implementing some form of the system, though I would like to work out the specifics with my committee as a whole in order to ensure that everyone is comfortable with the operation and functionality of the system. As for specifically how you are proposing it, I suppose it could work but I personally don't see the point in focusing on two polls and choosing the best one. Unless the other poll is kept in reserve for emergency purposes it just seems like throwing away a perfectly good poll concept every cycle.

Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
To all candidates and VP running mates, I'm stealing this from the 'Shroom Election,
Okay so I'm not a chemist. I don't think I did too well in chemistry classes. I ended up with a well-done steak when I tried to apply sodium to it, and I think it wasn't just the steak that ended up well-done, but like, my classmates, my teachers...heck probably the entire school. The only thing I know about noble gases is that they aren't kings of the periodic table.

My lack of chemistry knowledge means I can't be a good baker of cakes, so I instead needs to consume baked chemistry projects made by chemists.

Regardless, not just sweet stuff can be baked. You can bake a huge variety of foods in your trusted oven provided you prepare properly beforehand. One of my favorite foods is baked kale chips, but baking pork chops with the Shake n Bake stuff is actually pretty damned fine and simple enough for a troglodyte such as myself to prepare.

But, if sweets are what you had in mind, then plain ol' chocolate chip cookies are probably one of my favorite stuff to bake period. I don't remember when was the last time I baked it, probably when I was still a wee young lad, but I remember it was tons of fun. Adding chocolate chips was my favorite part. Cookies are also easy hand foods to eat and control portions of, cakes are a bit messier to store and come in big sizes plus they can have a tendency of being too sweet. I don't eat too much cakes in general so I can't really specify what types of cakes are there but I did like those strawberry cakes with fruits on top I liked for my b-days.

I personally think the two poll thing is a bit pointless, especially since we can already place multiple polls at once in the queue.

The only reason I didn't really implement Pitohhui's system last year was because of my old ass brain being used to the old way, me haven't been in the poll committee when it was implemented, and I did base it off concerns over lack of activity. With proper rewiring and tune-ups, I can make it work this year.

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
@Herlock Sholmes Considering your "people's candidate" platform, would you support strongly encouraging users to pick their own images and giving them multiple attempts? While BLOF hasn't been a bad chairperson I voted for you as my second choice behind myself because there was an occasional snippy moment she had about being frustrated about me wanting to suggest images, at one point saying on Discord behind my back "don't the tsp trying to argue with me about my choices" and overriding another image after I proposed one heavily flawed one after I mentioned without at least critiquing the second, which is something I would never do as chairperson.

Last edited:

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
@Herlock Sholmes Considering your "people's candidate" platform, would you support strongly encouraging users to pick their own images and giving them multiple attempts? While BLOF hasn't been a bad chairperson I voted for you as my second choice behind myself because there was an occasional snippy moment she had about being frustrated about me wanting to suggest images, at one point saying on Discord behind my back "don't the tsp trying to argue with me about my choices" and overriding another image after I proposed one heavily flawed one after I mentioned without at least critiquing the second, which is something I would never do as chairperson.
So, there's a few things here.

I want to preface this by saying that I completely lack context for this scenario, having not seen any of the images involved. Obviously, I think it is important for someone to "own" their poll to an extent, including the image, and I don't think there's any reason not to give multiple attempts at allowing a user to select their own image.

However, there's more to it than that. If the poll is urgently in need of an image and only inappropriate images have been suggested, it is likely that one will just be assigned without waiting on the person to provide an appropriate image. No poll should be delayed due to the inability of the author to provide a competent image. It is also important that provided images are not fan art, fan renders, or any other image that is being used without permission from the creator. I have worked in professional (online) journalism and there can be heavy consequences with regards to reputation if images are stolen without permission, and chances are that if someone is constantly suggesting these sorts of images, they will be barred at least temporarily from doing so until they improve.

Finally, being "the people's candidate" doesn't mean that I am a candidate for the one person who is providing poor images, it means I am working to make sure the Committee's opinions are heard and that the Committee is being run according to the wishes of the collective users within. If the majority of the users are finding someone pushy about their images to the point of it being a frustration for the greater community at large, then action may be taken against that user in some way.

To summarize: Yes, users will be encouraged to find images and will have multiple attempts to do so, but they will still be beholden to basic rules such as adherence to deadlines, copyright, and etiquette while conducting themselves.

Dr. R. Bushroot

Speaks for the weeds
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
So, TSP, reading your campaign notes and a few of your comments, I'm getting the impression that you're harboring an unresovled grudge against BLOF. Like, I don't know what happened with that image thing or why images are even relevant for polls, but the hostility is reading rather clearly and strongly out from everything said.

Given that these feelings seem to have leaked into your campaign speech, do you think you will be able to head this position without previous biases and personal feelings clouding your judgment? And do you have measures in mind for ensuring that?

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
So, TSP, reading your campaign notes and a few of your comments, I'm getting the impression that you're harboring an unresovled grudge against BLOF. Like, I don't know what happened with that image thing or why images are even relevant for polls, but the hostility is reading rather clearly and strongly out from everything said.

Given that these feelings seem to have leaked into your campaign speech, do you think you will be able to head this position without previous biases and personal feelings clouding your judgment? And do you have measures in mind for ensuring that?
It is also a good thing to point out the parts of my comments harshly criticizing some of the decisions BLOF has made, but I neither feel hostility or a grudge towards BLOF, just that there have been a couple of times where I felt she had highly snippy/inappropriate comments about me wanting to pick the images for my own polls, most of them being what I mentioned already. I am just concerned about BLOF, or any of the other candidates as well for that matter, having that kind of attitude in this upcoming committee that in a slightly different way you're mentioning here. As I mentioned as well in the Wiki election page BLOF has even been a good chairperson otherwise, except for these couple of intensely off-putting moments, and as not subtle as I will say I've been about it that's something I'd personally consider inappropriate to be subtle about.

I would not have any personal biases against anyone for the most part, except when blatantly necessary like if a user had a long history of antagonism/warnings/just barely skimming below being banned or worse/etc. then of course I would have a, necessary, bias about them in selection. In addition, as for the personal feelings part, I have a record of being very objective and getting things done as well as never antagonizing people who criticize or even tear apart my ideas on the 12th Committee, and this would be continued in the thirteenth committee. Measures in mind seems oddly specific as that would just be taking deep breaths and being objective for all of my decisions as chairperson, although again as I mentioned on the Wiki election page, I would make sure I had every point the vice chairperson had about someone applying before making the decision to accept or decline, and they would have as much of a say as me in this matter.
(EDIT: my bad, corrected a pronoun)

Last edited:

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
@Herlock Sholmes Would you set a deadline for when people could join the Poll Committee at all? Like, I understand you want to be inclusive, but having someone suddenly on the committee maybe even virtually per month would feel awkward and not as complete.

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
To the two On Fires running:
Do you plan to have a hard cap for signing up as chairperson?

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
@Herlock Sholmes Would you set a deadline for when people could join the Poll Committee at all? Like, I understand you want to be inclusive, but having someone suddenly on the committee maybe even virtually per month would feel awkward and not as complete.
My apologies for being late to answer this, I've been busy playing the smash-hit forum event known as Awards Killing Game: Odyssey (registered trademark).

To clarify a little bit based on your comments here and on the voting page, the idea would not be to have new members join every month, or anything close to. I would gather eight initial members and likely leave it at that, but as an example, if Hooded Pitohui (a very experienced PC member) wanted to join the committee in say, November because he was unable to earlier due to his responsibilities of running the Awards Killing Game: Odyssey (registered trademark) and the rest of the team agrees we need the help and could use the assistance of another member, he would still be allowed to join even after the initial signup window has ended.

You seem to be under the impression that I would simply accept any application that came our way, and that is not true even for the initial 8. There would not be a constant stream of new members, but new members would at least be considered after the window closes.

To be honest, based on your voting page comment, it sounds like you seem to think of joining the PC as nothing more than a means of obtaining clout or "being special", which I feel like is a poor reason for wanting to be on the PC at all. You should realize that the PC is a group that coordinates polls for the main page of a Super Mario Bros. wiki, not the Supreme Court. I understand and even encourage the initial removal of your vote (which admittedly you did later replace) if my platform does not align with your own ideals, as that should be the point of an election, but at the same time the fact that even the potential of greater inclusion seems to turn you off of a platform calls into question for me the veracity of your initial campaign and platform that you put out to run for PC Chairperson.

The ideal is to have fun with a group of people and work to create somewhat engaging or thought provoking content for the people who visit the site, not to get a free colored badge underneath your name and the ability to act like chancellor palpatine and scheme behind closed doors.

Last edited:

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
My apologies for being late to answer this, I've been busy playing the smash-hit forum event known as Awards Killing Game: Odyssey (registered trademark).

To clarify a little bit based on your comments here and on the voting page, the idea would not be to have new members join every month, or anything close to. I would gather eight initial members and likely leave it at that, but as an example, if Hooded Pitohui (a very experienced PC member) wanted to join the committee in say, November because he was unable to earlier due to his responsibilities of running the Awards Killing Game: Odyssey (registered trademark) and the rest of the team agrees we need the help and could use the assistance of another member, he would still be allowed to join even after the initial signup window has ended.

You seem to be under the impression that I would simply accept any application that came our way, and that is not true even for the initial 8. There would not be a constant stream of new members, but new members would at least be considered after the window closes.

To be honest, based on your voting page comment, it sounds like you seem to think of joining the PC as nothing more than a means of obtaining clout or "being special", which I feel like is a poor reason for wanting to be on the PC at all. You should realize that the PC is a group that coordinates polls for the main page of a Super Mario Bros. wiki, not the Supreme Court. I understand and even encourage the initial removal of your vote (which admittedly you did later replace) if my platform does not align with your own ideals, as that should be the point of an election, but at the same time the fact that even the potential of greater inclusion seems to turn you off of a platform calls into question for me the veracity of your initial campaign and platform that you put out to run for PC Chairperson.

The ideal is to have fun with a group of people and work to create somewhat engaging or thought provoking content for the people who visit the site, not to get a free colored badge underneath your name and the ability to act like chancellor palpatine and scheme behind closed doors.
It's good that you want to consider people before accepting them. I just wanted to make sure that you wouldn't automatically accept almost anyone unless they had that bad of a track record. Greater inclusion l usually like a lot, I just feel like I don't want everything to be cluttered with how many members there were on the Committee, the overloaded feel maybe even offputting the new joining members themselves when they'd want it to be more intimate when they actually got it.

This may actually be something that as a chairperson candidate later years I’ll make a part of my platform, just not allowing people to sign up that quickly/almost automatically.

Last edited:

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
Based on the fact that in order to join over the soft cap of 8 members, you would need to sign up for Rotating Leadership, any additional members would need to be active, reliable, and mature.

In all honest I have extreme doubt that at maximum there would be more than ten people on the committee at all by the end of it.