Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
Panel de Pon Tournament 3 & Knuckles
Untitled129_20220531112753.png

Tournament bracket found here!

Greetings, Marioboards users! Welcome to year three of the Panel de Pon tournament, where I am once again calling upon you to make cute fairy characters fight each other with colorful blocks! How exciting! Last year was a successful tournament run, and I can't wait to make this year even better!

As before, I offer a direct thank you to tfp for laying the groundwork for future Panel de Pon tournaments, and for providing the informational screenshots and videos you'll find throughout this op

But wait, what is Panel de Pon?

Panel de Pon is a match-three puzzle game, with plenty of fast-falling puzzle action. To bury your opponents, you'll need to match colors and cause chain reactions that'll really build up combos! Playing through the single player modes are the best way to learn how the game functions, but you can also watch the following tutorials prepared by tfp:

Panel de Pon can be played through a Nintendo Switch Online membership, which'll be how I'll be handling the tournament. If you're interested in participating but cannot spare the money to purchase an online membership, let me know and I'd be happy to help out as I can.

While you're playing and reading on, remember this important terminology:
Round: Refers to the current match you're playing. Rounds are counted by stars at the bottom of the screen.
Point: Refers to the group of rounds you're currently playing. Points will be won by winning 2/3 rounds.
Set: Winning two points against your opponent wins you the set. The set is what you're fighting for in each bracket.

How will this tournament function?

This tournament will be played in a round robin format. This means that every player will play every other player once. Because of this format, you can ultimately play rounds in any order or at any time you wish. That being said, I will also be offering a recommended schedule for when to complete each set, so that you can keep yourself on track and not have to worry about the end-of-tournament panic playing. I'm not picky, though, and you don't have to follow it. Basically, get all of your rounds done by August 31st, and I'll be a happy camper. A link to a tournament bracket will be supplied, so you can see what each set lineup looks like.

When you're playing a set against another player, start at level 6, and add 1 level for the next point you play (i.e. your levels should go 6 -> 7 -> 8). Level 8 adds an additional block to the mix, which'll really shake things up if you're vying for set point.

I've never played Panel de Pon before, should I still sign up?

Of course! Panel de Pon is a very beginner-friendly game, while also having enough depth and nuance to entice seasoned veterans. Many Panel de Pon players in this community started with the tournaments, so the door is open to absolutely anyone. You will face more experienced players, no doubt, but even with those defeats you can learn something new. No matter who you are or who you're up against, I promise that Panel de Pon is a good time.

What do these menus say?

Yep, Panel de Pon is still entirely in Japanese on the Nintendo Switch's """virtual console""". Thanks Nintendo. Tfp provided these images last year that'll help you navigate those menus:

Main Menu

1Player Game

• Endless - just how it sounds like

• Time Trial - 2 minutes to get a high score. You can adjust the speed of how the blocks rise from the bottom and the difficulty (how fast a match clears)

• Stage Clear - Clear blocks as quickly as possible to get them under a white line that will pop up as you keep disposing blocks

• Puzzle - Clear the board in the alloted moves

• Vs - The main story mode, This will help you practice for the tourney

2Player Game

How to Play

How to Improve (useful for newcomers!)
you can navigate through these step by step to visualize how chains and combos are done

How to Improve Combos Menu

How to Improve Chains Menu

How to Improve Skillchain Menu

How do I sign up?

Just drop your interest in the thread! It's super easy! I'll also recommend posting your friend code for other tournament participants, but if you don't want to publicly share yours, I don't mind as long as you're able to connect with your opponents. Sign-ups will be open until June 12th, so make sure to slot in before it's too late! There are no maximum or minimum number of sign-ups.

Last edited:

Metal Etemon

That's what I call hamburgers
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS I LAY DORMANT NOW I SHALL RETURN FOR PUZZLE (code coming later)

Reactions: ENA

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
In

Will post code later

Smashley

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Smasher
I can actually play this year!

[code to be edited in]

ENA

GOD RACE
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
A week left to sign up! If you've been considering, make sure to voice your interest by next Sunday!

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
PUZZLE
SWITCH FRIEND CODE 3381-2939-9982

ENA

GOD RACE
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
By the way I'm closing sign-ups tonight so make sure to sign up if you haven't already

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Troy you came in like the mist whopped all our asses then disappeared.
Hell some of us weren't even sure if you actually existed!

ENA

GOD RACE
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
Obligatory forum pings:
@Shmaluigi @Raiko Horikawa @Metal Etemon @Turboo @Sunshine Goombuigi @Hooded Pitohui @Smashley @Keqing @Azul Ashengrotto @Troy

Panel de Pon Tournament 3 & Knuckles starts today!

You can check out your tournament bracket here. I will also be updating thread op to have the bracket link, as well as links to each user's Marioboards profile, so you're able to easily identify who is who.

Because of our player turnout, every player will have a bye for one round, so if you don't see your name in a round bracket, that's why!

Additionally, because of convenience with timing, I recommend playing one match per week. This'll keep you easily on track to be done by the end of August. With that being said, I ultimately do not care which order or when you play matches, all of that is entirely to your discretion (and of course, I won't complain about the tournament ending sooner than scheduled).

If you have any questions, just let me know! Have fun with the matches everyone, and report your round scores back to me in the thread!