Tournaments

Raiko Horikawa

Live your life according to your rhythm!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
Current Planned Games

An Introductory Guide to Awards Tournaments (written by Hooded Pitohui)

For users who are joining into Awards season for the first time, or might have questions about how Awards tournaments work, here's a simple guide to the basics of what Awards tournaments are and how you can run a tournament if you're interested in doing so.

What are Awards tournaments?

In the months leading up to the awards ceremonies, members of this community organize a variety of games, under the loose oversight of the Awards Committee, so that everyone has a chance to play games together, meeting and talking to other community members and celebrating the community as a whole in the process.

Community members can host tournaments and can participate in the tournaments others host, having fun with their fellow community members and maybe even making new friends along the way!

Tournaments are mostly held for fun, and there's no centralized system of giving out prizes. Individual tournament hosts may offer, by their own volition, prizes for individual tournaments, but the responsibility of purchasing those prizes is on those hosts.

Who can host a tournament?

Almost anyone can host a tournament, provided you haven't been banned from doing so and that you get a nod of approval from the Awards Committee. Whether you've hosted tournaments in the past, whether you've been here for years and have never taken a shot at hosting a tournament, or whether this is your first Awards season, you're welcome to try hosting a tournament!

What games can I make into a tournament?

Simply put, you can make a game out of any tournament that can support a group of participants, potentially from around the world, communicating online together. Some tournaments will see people posting on the forum to play a game. Some tournaments will see players directly matching up in online sessions in videogames, either in small groups or one big one. Other tournaments may see players completing some task individually, then reporting their results and relaying some proof they completed the task.

Some examples of tournaments we've had in the past:
  • Online matches in videogames
    • Mario Kart titles
      • Races
      • Time trials
    • Super Smash Bros. titles
    • Pokémon titles
    • Wario's Woods
    • Panel de Pon
    • Minecraft
  • Forum games
    • Mafia
    • Killing Games
    • Scavenger hunts
  • Individual activities reported to a host
    • Mario Kart 64 time trials

Videogames, board games or card games that can be played online, forum games, and more can all be made into Awards tournaments. You should choose something that you're familiar with, however. If you aren't familiar with how the game you want to run works and can't answer questions that players might have, you might run into trouble structuring your tournament.

How should I actually structure a tournament?
As you plan your tournament, you may want to keep the following notes in mind and may want to ensure you can answer the following questions:
  • Tournaments should run during the Awards season, between June 1st and August 31st.
    • There may be some exceptions, but keep the timeframe of your tourney within reason.
  • What is the minimum number of players your game needs to run successfully? Do you need to set a maximum number of players, to keep the workload or tournament length manageable?
  • What format will the tournament use? Will players be knocked out of the competition in single-elimination or double-elimination formats? Will there be a pre-set number of rounds and a Swiss-style or round robin-style tournament so that all players play every round? Will player rankings be determined by something else altogether, like speed, or a points total system?
    • How long will each round last? Keep in mind that there are users in different timezones, and with a number of life commitments, and you will want to balance moving fast enough to keep the tournament's timetable reasonable and giving everyone a chance to participate.
    • If a round requires that everyone is present at once (e.g., for a group Mario Kart race), how will a time be coordinated? Will it be pre-set at the start of the tournament? Will it be determined each round? Will players be expected to work out a time amongst themselves if only a subset of players are needed for an event (such as a Smash doubles match)?
  • What rules will your tournament use? You'll want to standardize the ruleset players are expected to use when having matches together.
    • This may include:
      • In-game settings,
      • Requirements of proof (e.g., how can a player doing offline time trials show proof of the time they achieved?)
      • Game mechanics (e.g., can players talk privately to each other in a forum game?)
      • Approved ways of playing (e.g., can someone use a Virtual Console/NSO version of a game, or a particular port?)
  • Are you planning for a timetable during which you will be available? Ensure you plan your tournament for a time you're available to update rounds, facilitate match-ups, and answer questions from players.
  • Have you planned for delays? We all have busy lives, and sometimes things come up that players and hosts alike can't control. What happens if a player misses a round? Will you still have time to run the tournament if it gets extended? In what circumstances can rounds be extended?

I have an idea, and I'm interested in running a tournament! What steps should I take next?
  • First, find out if there's interest for the tournament you'd like to run. You can post in this thread, telling people your general tournament idea and asking who might be interested.
    • This can help you get an idea of, for example, whether or not many people in the community own a particular game.
    • By gauging interest, you can get an idea of whether or not you're likely to get the minimum number of players your game requires before you write up an opening post.
  • If it seems like you'll be able to run your tournament, draft up an opening post (OP). You'll want your OP to include:
    • A brief introduction, making it clear what your tournament is
    • A description of the basic structure of the tournament, so anyone reading has a good picture of how the tournament will work
    • Prospective rules
    • Start date and anticipated end date
  • Once you have your OP drafted up, send it to the Awards Committee! PM your OP to Superchao and Hooded Pitohui.
    • They, and, as needed, the rest of the Awards Committee will review your OP to look for any major issues or unanswered questions.
      • You'll be provided feedback and questions if there are any, and may be asked to make some changes.
        • If there's no feedback or questions, or you've addressed everything, you'll be told you're all set to post your tournament!
  • Once you have the Award Committee's approval, create a new thread for your tournament, with your OP as the first post, and get your tournament going!

Where can I get help if I have any questions?

If you have questions, you can ask the Awards Committee for help, and we'll be happy to help you iron out details and get your tournaments going. You can also ask questions in this very thread, and any member of the community with experience with Awards season can help point you in the right direction.

You might also consider looking at Awards boards from past years, and the tournaments people have run in the past. Looking at the OPs of old tournaments may help you get an idea of how you want to structure your own tournament. In addition, many past tournament hosts allow new hosts to take parts of their OP and reuse or adapt them, provided you ask their permission first.

The website Challonge has been used by a number of tournament hosts in the past, providing brackets and automatically coming up with matchups and scores in more complex tournaments.

ENA

GOD RACE
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
I would like to gauge interest on Round 3 of Panel de Pon for an Awards tournament. For those who don't know what PDP is, you can look to last year's thread to see what the game is and how it's played. I will say that, even for people who have never been introduced to PDP before, it's a game that has depth for both beginners and experts, and it's a lot of fun to get into if you haven't before. Not everyone who plays in tournament is a seasoned veteran, and if you do go up against someone particularly good, it's still a great way to learn the game. Participating in the tournament would require having a NSO membership, though

If you could like this post if you'd be interested in playing PDP in the upcoming months, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Rohan Kishibe

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Oh yes also confirming Scribble 2

I'm unsure of the times for it given my commitment to KG, but it will likely happen early/mid July. The logistics and such are yet to be determined, I'm aiming for a more streamlined and hands-off process that doesnt involve me obliterating my sleep schedule week to week. I will say that since there was such a positive reception to the simplicity of the game, there are no major plans to change the format or structure from last year on the player side, aside from having new weekly themes, but this may be revised closer to the date as it enters my "mariowiki commitments in mirror are larger than they appear" zone.

I admit the post-tourney finale stuff was a bit of a dud promise, but I'll likely incorporate the ending into the start of the new tourney as was suggested by others. I think given the runaway success of Scribble last year, it would be a crime not to try having one for at least another year. Consider it a direct sequel!

Those wishing to check out the event from last year can do so here, there was some gorgeous artwork from all involved.

Be sure to sharpen your coloured pencil tools!

Kim Pine

Will Eat Your Soul
Pronouns
He/She
I'd like to gauge interest for a potential PuyoVS High-score tournament.

For those unaware, PuyoVS is a free fan-made Puyo Puyo game that you can play on a Windows/Mac OS computer. For those needing to know how to play Puyo Puyo, check here.

The reason I'm going for a high-score tournament instead of a more "player vs. player" style of tournament is to fit into my more busy schedule. The current plan is to open the tournament for the entirety of August, one last hurrah for the Awards season. I plan on opening it's own thread here soon. Hope to see you there!

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
While we're at it, I'd like to announce that I am working on a new Anniversary Scavenger! Hopefully it will have a running time of more than one month, but this all depends on when I am able to work on it besides AKG5. Expect a few new additions to the game's mechanics!

See also the previous editions in 2017 and 2018, as well as the mini from 2020, to get an idea as for what happens in AS.

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Out of curiosity, how would, in broad terms, a talent show work? What would people be submitting? How would people be scored? What would be acceptable to submit? Would it be a one-off thing, where you go for your biggest and best submission and go all-in with it, or are there weekly rounds?

Darth in a Jar

May funny month
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Out of curiosity, how would, in broad terms, a talent show work? What would people be submitting? How would people be scored? What would be acceptable to submit? Would it be a one-off thing, where you go for your biggest and best submission and go all-in with it, or are there weekly rounds?
basically, you can submit stuff like music, art, writing that you've made, and me, along with a panel of judges, will review them and select the most unique/interesting entries. still working out the details but there might be either weekly rounds or one big competition (but you might be able to submit multiple things idk yet)
i have part of an OP written but it's not done yet

Kim Pine

Will Eat Your Soul
Pronouns
He/She
basically, you can submit stuff like music, art, writing that you've made, and me, along with a panel of judges, will review them and select the most unique/interesting entries. still working out the details but there might be either weekly rounds or one big competition (but you might be able to submit multiple things idk yet)
i have part of an OP written but it's not done yet
Just some constructive critisim, but it would be easier to judge if you only do one media form (ala the Art Contest from previous years)

Rohan Kishibe

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Stay tuned :ashley:
Alright time to do the reveal properly

Get your passports ready, pack your suitcases, and grab your fruity drink of choice, because this year, Awards Killing Game is sailing across the world in style!

In Awards Killing Game: Odyssey, we've partnered with luxury (fictional) cruise liner Starline to provide our guests with spectacular views of a unique comet predicted to be visible while our ships are heading for an island resort. Our journey to tropical paradise begins with high class dining, special events catered to by professional staff, and of course shuffleboard, all in anticipation of the comet passing overhead!

We predict 26 lucky cruise-goers, both passengers and crew, will have the chance to experience this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity on one of two cruises, and there may be a few other special guests on board in addition to our leading staff and captains! (Of course, NPCs are returning.)

This year, we're hoping to be extra accommodating to all of our patrons. If you have a concept you'd like us to try crafting a role around, send a request to one of our fabulous game hosts, Lakituthequick, Hooded Pitohui, or myself, by the end of March if you want us to consider it! Note, this may be an offer we're extending to anyone who might be interested in personalizing their experience a little, but out of fairness and balance for everyone, we can't guarantee a placement for you or if your role idea will be used (both in part and in full). Results may vary!

Mark your calendars for early/mid-May, and bring a change of beach clothes, as we'll be dropping the lounge thread and making tickets available around then. We're planning on starting in early June and running on a weekly basis, and thus anticipate the game lasting at least two months. We hope to welcome you aboard!

Metal Knuckles

The “Metal Sonic” of the echidna set
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
OhoJeeOnFire
I'm thinking about hosting a Super Mario Maker 2 VS Tournament, and I'd like to gauge how much interest there'd be for one. If you would be interested in such a tournament, then give this post a like.
Aww. Wish I could, but I don’t have the online membership! 😢

Darth in a Jar

May funny month
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
I have a few ideas floating around in my noggin right now so I'll just unload them here; none of these will necessarily be hosted (and obviously not all of them) but I thought I'd share them anyways.
  • The talent show I mentioned earlier. Could also limit the scope of that a bit.
  • Remember this? I could try doing that again, along with reworking the rules to improve it.
  • Or just host Awards Mafia, I guess? Idk if someone's already planning that.
  • A short Mario-themed D&D campaign. Probably hosted offsite, on Discord.
  • Awards RP is also a possibility, but I'm not sure how worth doing it would be when I can just make yet another thread in the Roleplay subforum.
  • Among Us tournament, maybe? Haven't played the game in a while since the account system doesn't work for me.
  • A game jam could be an interesting idea. Basically, you get a few days to make a game related to a certain theme. Since few people here are likely to be game developers it could be done with scratch games, or even mario maker levels.
  • I could also try Midnight Hotel again.
Actually the game jam idea's pretty neat when I think about it, could work well with mario maker levels. But first I'd actually need the game and switch games cost like 60 bucks
Which I'd rather spend on the new Pokemon games when they come out tbh

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Hey there, folks! It's that time of year when tournaments are going to start kicking into gear, so it seemed like a good time to remind folks of a few key points.

First off, your tournaments should run during the Awards season, between June 1st and August 31st. There might be some exceptions, with some tournaments spilling into September, but, you should plan on your tournament lasting only until the end of August.

While there's a more comprehensive guide in the first post of this thread, here are some of the most salient points you should keep in mind when designing an awards tournament:

• What is the minimum number of players your game needs to run successfully? Do you need to set a maximum number of players, to keep the workload or tournament length manageable?
  • Are you planning for a timetable during which you will be available?
  • Have you planned for delays? What happens if a player misses a round? Will you still have time to run the tournament if it gets extended?
  • What format will the tournament use?
Finally, please remember to send a draft of your OP to Superchao and Hooded Pitohui before you post it. This gives us a chance to look it over, make sure there are no major omissions or mistakes that haven't been caught (to make it as smooth as possible for your potential players and yourself), and to make sure you're committed to seeing your tournament through.

Just be sure to keep these few things in mind as you plan and to send in your OPs to get approval before you post them, and we'll all be set!

Lee Chaolan

Oh, excellent!
Just curious as to whether people are interested in a Mario strikers battle league tournament or not

If you are maybe smash that like button and we’ll see if there’s enough potential participants

Polly

Ace Parrot
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
awards murder party
-very similarish to everyone is mafia mafia but you get put into teams of 3
-win by being the last team standing
-12ish players but could go up to like 20 (or more???)
-each phase you can kill, protect and roleblock. use these to keep each other safe and also to mess with the competition (KILLS WILL NOT ROLEBLOCK THIS TIME)
-in addition to normal kill actions, each phase will have a communal vote for someone you all want to get rid off democratically. useful for getting an extra kill in your favour or just to get rid of pesky people who do nothing except murder every night in this game that is called murder party (also drives thread engagement)
-teams will maybe have unique powers if i have time on saturday and can think of any good ones that wont be unfair or stupid
-there will be a mario (and by mario i actually mean bowser) themed story and roles
-this game will be solely for fun and there will be no prizes so dont take it too seriously (everyone will take it too seriously :stark: )
-hopefully it will end in like 2 or 3 days again so it wont be a big commitment
-probably less fundamentally broken than last time but no promises of that yet

-sign ups would go up tomorrow sometime and then the game would start a day-ish later, the aim being a quick game to tide us over until the real murder extravaganza of AKGO starts

if you would sign up for this please give a like and i will make it happen with a much more serious and official looking OP (if it passes official awards board approval)
(if you would not sign up and dont care, you may feel free to use any other react like "❤ i love that for you, but not me" or "😮 wow i cant believe youre trying to squeeze in ANOTHER murder party just before a big community related strategy game". only the generic like will be used to measure interest)

Franziska Von Karma

I can see through time
Pronouns
She / They
Just curious as to whether people are interested in a Mario strikers battle league tournament or not

If you are maybe smash that like button and we’ll see if there’s enough potential participants
I didn't see this post before but yesyesyesyesyesyesyes