Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
you can post your two bit mascots and your strange and sad tales from the misery of pop culture. you can cry heresy, murder, betrayal and attribute however many crimes you desire to the enemy team. you can use literature, movies, whatever you can think of to desperately try and pull birds from the pit of despicable irrelevancy they were birthed from

but heres the real blockbuster. people just care about dogs more than birds (apart from a blip in 2011. you know what else happened in 2011? the worlds second-worst nuclear disaster). these interest trends are more valuable than any examples you can dredge from your depths. its as simple as that. this is pop culture, right here on this graph. especially in modern times, dogs just have birds beat. you dont get more pop culture than that.

in the end birds will be truly recognised for what they amount to. a meal
search volume is just a bunch of numbers and are not indicative of anything related to pop-culture, and it represents only a fraction of the world ie those who can use the internet. personally i don't go around searching either of those terms on google anyway, and google isn't the only search engine available. it's not really a smoking gun, and while it does indicate that there are more interest in dogs than birds (more people own them as pets, that's why they get searched more, and people search them relating to care or whatnot, birds are a far broader umbrella of animals and range from pets to wild animals...you could compare this from dogs vs budgerigars), this isn't really related to pop culture, as that's a separate thing entirely, and we don't know why they search for dogs and what not, it's very vague.

anyway birds evolved from dinosaurs but that's not saying much. birds downgraded hard. should be a point against them.
birds didn't evolve from dinosaurs. birds are dinosaurs.

Metal Etemon

That's what I call hamburgers
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Let's take a look at Pokemon the largest media franchise in the world
now in that Series there are 31 pokemon designed after dogs. A respectable number sure
but when we look at birds we see that there are 59 pokemon designed after birds.
That's almost double the pokemon
Let's dive just a little bit deeper into those numbers and look at Anime star Ash Ketchum
examining the numbers we see that Ash has caught 7 bird based pokemon which you might argue isn't a lot
but when we look closer we see that Ash has only caught 1 dog based pokemon
that means Ash has caught 7 times more bird pokemon then dog pokemon.

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
For what it's worth, it looks like Tweety Bird is considered male.

Anyways! Someone reminded me I should mention the countercurrent exchange a number of birds have in their legs, where - to simplify this explanation because I'm short on time- their veins and arteries are arranged in such a way to help them conserve their body heat.

If any bird supporters want to help their team, a good way to do that right now would be a more in-depth explanation of this countercurrent exchange.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
Birds literally arent real theyre surveillance robots

All real birds died in the mid 20th century as part of a sting operation to exterminate them

The long arm of the United States government even extends to media coverage as seen here when a drone partially broke camo during the 1986 Macys Thanksgiving Parade in NYC, this is the only surviving image:
965AF3E0-852D-4674-9250-6E02E40FE251.jpeg

i was asked to put a disclaimer saying birds are real

Snack

🌻Ashita wa nanika ga kawaru ka na?
Let's take a look at Pokemon the largest media franchise in the world
now in that Series there are 31 pokemon designed after dogs. A respectable number sure
but when we look at birds we see that there are 59 pokemon designed after birds.
That's almost double the pokemon
Let's dive just a little bit deeper into those numbers and look at Anime star Ash Ketchum
examining the numbers we see that Ash has caught 7 bird based pokemon which you might argue isn't a lot
but when we look closer we see that Ash has only caught 1 dog based pokemon
that means Ash has caught 7 times more bird pokemon then dog pokemon.

It may be close but Dog Pokemon have besides one outlier data point been consistently ahead in the Trends

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff

It may be close but Dog Pokemon have besides one outlier data point been consistently ahead in the Trends
Who gives a fuck?
Also as a follow up what was one of the coolest moments of the Pokemon anime? Why end of episode 1 when a mysterious bird pokemon appeared thus confirming there were then 150 pokemon.

Flygon64

Flygon "I'll figure this out later" 64
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Flygon64

All real birds died in the mid 20th century

The long arm of the United States government even extends to media coverage as seen here when a drone partially broke camo during the 1986 Macys Thanksgiving Parade in NYC, this is the only surviving image:
View attachment 22333
1641523515756.png

"[Real] [Free puppies!!!] photo taken in [1997]!!!!!!!!!"

Bluminescence

Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace

All real birds died in the mid 20th century

View attachment 22333
Okay you guys win, birds are fake, it's true.

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
One last thing on the pokemon bandwagon
Which generation had birds for a mascot? Why Gen 2 commonly thought of as the best which includes community favorite Heartgold and Soul Silver.
Which generation has dogs for a mascot? Why Gen 8 AKA Sword and Shield commonly seen as the worst pokemon game.

Thanos (Car)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
search volume is just a bunch of numbers and are not indicative of anything related to pop-culture, and it represents only a fraction of the world ie those who can use the internet. personally i don't go around searching either of those terms on google anyway, and google isn't the only search engine available. it's not really a smoking gun, and while it does indicate that there are more interest in dogs than birds (more people own them as pets, that's why they get searched more, and people search them relating to care or whatnot, birds are a far broader umbrella of animals and range from pets to wild animals...you could compare this from dogs vs budgerigars), this isn't really related to pop culture, as that's a separate thing entirely, and we don't know why they search for dogs and what not, it's very vague.
those who can use the internet often define pop culture despite the minority they represent. google may not be the only search engine on earth but its by far the most popular one and has the most accessible trend data. you know why more people own them as pets? because they think dogs are better than birds. and yeah, birds are a far broader umbrella than one species which is why its even more astoundingly pathetic that in all their might and numbers they cannot compare to the wonderful dogs. im covering all of pop culture by simply going to the source and seeing what people are thinking about more in general, and google trends is the best representative of people who participate in pop culture

birds didn't evolve from dinosaurs. birds are dinosaurs.
yeah but dinosaurs arent birds

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Who gives a fuck?
Once again, going to give one final general reminder to everyone involved to keep things civil and respectful. Past this point, we'll be taking action and asking anyone who can't follow this rule to no longer post in the thread.

There's less than 48 hours left. I'm sure nobody wants to be asked to leave right at the end.

In the spirit of bringing forward new information, though, don't forget that, among Alfred Hitchcock's most famous movies is The Birds, a horror movie all about birds.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
One last thing on the pokemon bandwagon
Which generation had birds for a mascot? Why Gen 2 commonly thought of as the best which includes community favorite Heartgold and Soul Silver.
Which generation has dogs for a mascot? Why Gen 8 AKA Sword and Shield commonly seen as the worst pokemon game.
Crystal has a legendary dog for a mascot. Whatever you want to call that thing, it's certainly not a bird

Bluminescence

Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
those who can use the internet often define pop culture despite the minority they represent. google may not be the only search engine on earth but its by far the most popular one and has the most accessible trend data. you know why more people own them as pets? because they think dogs are better than birds. and yeah, birds are a far broader umbrella than one species which is why its even more astoundingly pathetic that in all their might and numbers they cannot compare to the wonderful dogs. im covering all of pop culture by simply going to the source and seeing what people are thinking about more in general, and google trends is the best representative of people who participate in pop culture
might be the best representative, but it's still not a good one especially for quantitative data that's very difficult to track down, restrictive by nature depending on who uses the search engine, and it's not something i'd use as a sole argument in favor of a trend but rather to be used as a supplementary argument that points to it but not a smoking gun. it's also an appeal to popularity, which while you could argue that that's the entire point of the pop culture part of the shroomfest it's not necessarily indicative on overall impact it may have on someone or how beloved they are. many people casually don't use the internet in their day-to-day lives, and many many people don't use google, there's also wikipedia, youtube, and a plethora of other search engines that people may use too.

Thanos (Car)

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/Him/His
might be the best representative, but it's still not a good one especially for quantitative data that's very difficult to track down, restrictive by nature depending on who uses the search engine, and it's not something i'd use as a sole argument in favor of a trend but rather to be used as a supplementary argument that points to it but not a smoking gun. it's also an appeal to popularity, which while you could argue that that's the entire point of the pop culture part of the shroomfest it's not necessarily indicative on overall impact it may have on someone or how beloved they are. many people casually don't use the internet in their day-to-day lives, and many many people don't use google, there's also wikipedia, youtube, and a plethora of other search engines that people may use too.
i disagree

Bluminescence

Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
i know, birds are fake

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
mother 3 has a dog in it and as soon as he becomes playable he stays with you until the end. a true friend

zelen !!

actual spore creature
Pronouns
she/her
scrolling through this thread and sighhhhhhh . im not sure how likely i am to participate in shroomfests after this even though theyre fun generally
also she shes amazing in the angry bitrds stella animated series bc her expressions are incredinble . ogh yeah id like to talk abt that series too
alright it surprisingly goes places for angry heckinf birds
its somewhat story driven, some episodes will set up something that reappears in the next episode, and i guess it doesnt sound like much when im decribing it but it actulaly gets pretty intriguing?
this one also goes nuts with the wordbuilding in regards to the language the birds speak. its present in toons too and even newer stuff i think like slingshot stories?? but everyone is WAY more chatty and theres more of the defined words! its a super interesting aspct. ofc you dont need to understand any of that gibberish in order to understand whats going on but its still cool
at least for a few episodes it also got ... somewhat dark, with a brief implication of someone Outright Dying for almost two full episodes and then coming back with.Quite the injury its kind of BOnkers. For angry birds
Anyway willow is in this one also you should watch it for her.and the other great characters that are there as well theyre all fun tbh heres a playlist

why am i trying to shill a somewhat niche angry birds thing to people who arent angry birds fans...
can you tell that reading through this thread to catch up with what i missed was actually really discouraging
i feel like me being only able to talk about angry birds is a detriment at this point. i feel bad

............also check out the gorgeous art in this babby book i read yesterday (red and the great fling off) ... they didnt have to go so hard with the backgrounds but did anyway and its v pretty

edit: just realised i hadnt shilled serina yet... Serina: A Natural History of the World of Birds is SUPER cool. its a speculative biology/evolution project that focuses on the evolution of a moon seeded with some earth beings, seeing how they evolve. the only land vertebrates are canaries
and of course evolution proceeds immediately. over hte hundreds of millions of years this takes place, all the flora and fauna on serina evolves and goes into completely unexpected directions. forms no longer recognizeable as birds (theyre still birds though) or fish etc. its SUPER inteersting just on that
it also turns into a story of sapient species. it gets really emotional i think i actually cried several times over these weird (affectionate) and funky animals and its just. its wonderful i love serina
i know speculative biology isnt something that would interest the vast majority of this forum (as in, i might be the only weirdo interested in specbio on here???) but id greatly recommend to check it out if it interests you

Last edited:

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I have recently been exposed to the following tweet (hur)

(Courtesy to Koops for sharing this on Discord)

The tweet asks, "cool or scary?" If I say so myself, this is pretty cool. Crows are smart creatures, and so are other corvids!

Sharon Begley said:
Now the birds can add one more feather to their brainiac claims: Research unveiled on Thursday in Science finds that crows know what they know and can ponder the content of their own minds, a manifestation of higher intelligence and analytical thought long believed the sole province of humans and a few other higher mammals.

A second study, also in Science, looked in unprecedented detail at the neuroanatomy of pigeons and barn owls, finding hints to the basis of their intelligence that likely applies to corvids’, too.

(Source: Stat)

Herlock Sholmes

The Great Detective
MarioWiki
Fun With Despair
if this was dogs vs. specifically crows I might actually vote for the crows because I genuinely love those little guys.

however I do not like any other bird and in fact dislike many of them, so dogs remain my resolute champion.

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
if this was dogs vs. specifically crows I might actually vote for the crows because I genuinely love those little guys.

however I do not like any other bird and in fact dislike many of them, so dogs remain my resolute champion.
:reasonable:

Metal Knuckles

The “Metal Sonic” of the echidna set
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
OhoJeeOnFire
yeah but dinosaurs arent birds
They are. Also, birds can fly faster than dogs can run. The fastest bird, the Peregrine Falcon, flies at 240 mph. The fastest dog, the Fanta Dog, runs at only 50.5 mph, enabling birds to claim the title of the fastest animal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.