Lightning Mafia+: Welcome to Chaos Town - Sign-ups / Lounge

Revin

Ace Detective
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
huge thanks to everyone who has signed up so far!! we've already smashed through the full player requirements and the thread hasnt even been up for 24 hours yet! unfortunately, this does mean that anyone who signed up after snack will now be a replacement, but as i said in the OP, i appreciate replacement sign ups very much as well so please feel free to continue signing up for those if you'd like!

sign-ups will still be "locked in" on the day i provided in the OP, after which I'll be spinning the wheel and assigning people their roles. in the meantime, i'll be posting a few character introductions over the next few days to (re)introduce some of the characters that will be part of the game as NPCs, letting you get to know them a bit better before the game itself starts, so please look forward to it!

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Administrator
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
Could you put me down as a replacement please?

Waluigi Time

Did someone say CEREAL?
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Tigger.png

Hullo! I'm Tigger! That's spelled T-I-double-guh-er! Hoo hoo hoo hoo!

Chaos Town? This place sounds more fun than a fun barrel full of fun! And fun is what Tiggers like best! I don't think Bunny Boy would be too fond of this place, though. He's too busy with all them carrotses of his. Maybe I oughta send ol' Long Ears one of them postycards!

Well, I'm off to go bouncin'! TTFN, ta-ta for now!

Yoshi the SSM

Yoshi the Detective of Space
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
Detective Red Yoshi.png
: "Hello, there. My name is Detective Red Yoshi or Yoshi the DoS (Detective of Space). And I'm here to help you guys solve this case."

Last edited:

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
View attachment 20743
Located near the coast, Chaos Town is home to a populace of citizens that go about their days happily and without much to worry about. Well, until now, that is...

Hello, folks, and welcome to the 9th Mafia game I've attempted to host! This game will be a little different from normal, so please ensure you read this post thoroughly before signing up, thanks!

What is mafia? And what's with that big + symbol?

Mafia is a hidden role strategy game which primarily consists of two factions, the Town and the Mafia. In the case of this game, we will be referring to them as the Lawful and the Chaotic, respectively. The Lawful faction’s goal is to eliminate all members of the Chaotic faction. They accomplish this primarily through deductions made using conversations and special role powers. The Chaotic faction’s goal is to equal or outnumber the Lawful faction (e.g. if there are 2 Lawful and 2 Chaotic remaining, then the Chaotic would win in that scenario). They accomplish this through misdirection and deceit, attempting to get the Lawful faction to turn against each other. The game is split into two primary phases: The Day phase, where players vote on who to remove from the game, and the Night phase, where players submit special night actions that can accomplish various things.

However, this will not be an ordinary mafia game! This game is something of a test run for a sort-of new format, hence the "+" symbol to differentiate it from a regular game. The changes mostly apply to the Night phase, so please bear with me as I explain the mechanics!

Mafia+ Gameplay

The goal of this game is to provide a more light-hearted experience that emphasises more freeform actions that will hopefully result in a more unique and funny game than normal mafia. The main distinguishing feature is that the Night action system is more or less being completely overhauled compared to normal mafia games.

Actions
During the Night phase, each player will be allowed to submit 1 freeform action. This can be anything from "I punch [player] in the face" to "I go to the gun store and buy a gun". Once all the actions have been submitted, they will be compiled and you will receive results as to what happened during your night, which will include seeing any other players who were in the same area as you, and the specific actions they performed. As far as the submissions themselves, essentially, anything goes, as long as it follows a few guidelines:
-Each action should be directed to either a player or a location. If you choose to direct your action towards a specific player, you will typically be automatically placed in whichever location that player chose to submit their actions in.
-As stated above, you may only have 1 action per night. This is to ensure that night submissions remain manageable. Typically, the previous rule will help keep things in check, but please keep in mind that if your submission is written in a way that tries to do too much, some parts may be ignored or I may ask you to resubmit something simpler. Some examples:
-"I'll go to the gun store and buy a gun, then shoot one of the practice dummies" is fine, since it is minimal and stays within the same location.
-"I'll go to the gun store and buy a gun, then go to the Town Square and shoot [player]" is not a valid action, since it contains 3 actions (visit gun store, visit town square, shoot player), and is also potentially contradictory since the specified player may not be at the specified location.
-Please ensure that all your submissions are mostly family-friendly and fit within the general rules of the forums.
-All submitted actions should have reasonable amounts of believability, relative to your role powers. What this means is that, unless otherwise specified, all players will essentially have the powers and abilities of an "average" human. Basically no superpowers or outrageous actions like blowing up the whole town unless your role lets you do that.
-Your actions cannot cause permanent removal of players or locations (e.g. I kill [player] or I blow up [location]). Any submissions similar to this will be neutered in order to ensure that the mechanics continue (e.g. "I set the gun store on fire" would still go through but would not cause the location to stop functioning).
-Freeform actions more or less replace the usage of "regular" night roles, with a couple of exceptions. The most important of these exceptions is the Chaotic's Factional Night Kill, which will still be used as normal. In the interest of fairness to the players on that team, the Chaotic Night Kill will be performed by a group of faceless Goons, who cannot be traced back to the original players on the team.

Map
To aid in streamlining the submission process, a Map will be provided once the game starts with a short list of locations which can be visited as part of your night actions, along with brief descriptions of each location so you know what is located there. More info will be provided once the game starts.

Roles
Due to the altered nature of this game, roles will not function quite the same as normal mafia, but rest assured, they will still be a major part of the game. Each player in the game will be given a unique role which gives them a power only they can do. Most of these roles consist of either special actions that can be submitted as your 1 action for the night, or passive modifiers and abilities that affect how you interact and are interacted with during night phases.

Day Phase
The Day phase remains mostly unchanged from normal mafia. During the Day phase, all players are able to participate by engaging in discussion and voting for players they want to have removed from the game who they believe to be Chaotic. The player who receives the most votes at the end of the Day phase will be lynched, and they will be removed from the game, and the game will proceed into the Night phase. In order to make sure they are voting the correct person, the Day phase usually involves a great deal of discussion, accusations and deduction.

This is just a general overview, and there may be certain things I have overlooked, but most of the information should be here, and additional clarifications will be provided as needed. If you want more information or clarification regarding any of the game mechanics, feel free to ask me and I’ll do my best to guide you through. Being the first time a game of this sort has been taken in this sort of format, I expect there may be some bumps along the road but hopefully it will still come together into a fun game!

Lightning Mafia+: Setting and theme

The setting for this game, if you haven't noticed yet, is Chaos Town, a sleepy town home to many... interesting individuals. If you've been following along with other mafia games this year, you may have even met some of them already! But while a few familiar faces will reappear here, now it's time to meet a lot of new faces. Each role in the game is based on a different Chaos Town resident... they may appear familiar to you, but keep in mind that these are all Original Characters, and they may not all share the same alignments, motivations and views as the characters you think they look like. The five characters featured in the logo banner, who will not be featured as roles but still play a part in the narrative and will be properly introduced later, serve as a few examples of the kinds of people you may come across or become during your stay in Chaos Town.

Rules
  1. There are two factions in this game, the Lawful and the Chaotic. The lawful win by lynching all the chaotic. The chaotic win by equaling or outnumbering the lawful.
  2. There are two phases, the Day phase and the Night phase. During the day phase, players may vote for players they think might be a chaotic, and the player with the most votes at the end of the day will be lynched. During the night phase, the chaotic will kill a player, and all players with a nightrole can send in their power.
  3. No quoting, screenshotting or otherwise publicly sharing your role PM or any other messages sent to you by the host. If you do this, you will be modkilled (removed from the game) IMMEDIATELY!
  4. Be active. If you sign up for the game, it is expected that you will play it. Frequent participation is the key to a good, fun and dynamic mafia game. You don’t need to be around 24/7, but checking in at least once per Day phase and submitting an action every Night phase is strongly encouraged. Reminders will be sent out during the first couple of phases to inactive players as a grace period, but if you remain inactive through the course of the game, I reserve the right to remove you and replace you with someone else. Additionally, if you feel like you are no longer able to play actively, please be decisive and let me know if you're going to drop out so I can replace you as soon as possible.
  5. No posting in the game thread after you've died. You may post in the lounge, but you are not allowed to reveal any information, suspicions or any other kind of speculation that could affect the course of the game. That kind of discussion should be kept in the designated dead chat. This applies to spectators as well.
  6. No lynching is allowed, and will count as a normal vote. If the votes are tied between any number of options, this will result in a random lynch between the tied candidates. No lynch will lose in a tie.
  7. Role-claiming is allowed, but, again, you must not quote any parts of your role PM. (e.g. saying “I’m the cop” or "I'm Percy the Prank Engine" is ok, regardless of whether it is true or false, but directly quoting the flavour text is not).
  8. Please try to keep the majority of game-related chat inside official channels i.e. the Game Thread and Mafia PM group. It's ok to chat about it informally outside the thread, but there should not be any major sharing of information in channels not created by the host, like private player-made Conversations/PM groups.
  9. Day phases will last 24 hours, while night phases will also last 24 hours. Extensions will be given if needed.
  10. Roleplaying is allowed, but please make it as non-intrusive as possible. In particular, please make sure that all posts are still legible. If you want to do something avant-garde like posting only in emojis or another language, please be considerate of other players and provide a normal English translation where applicable (or even consider just not doing it at all). Please also keep in mind that spending lots of time roleplaying instead of playing the main game is frowned upon by many players. Since this game will likely be less serious than normal, this rule will not be as heavily enforced as it would in a serious game, but please keep it in mind all the same.
  11. These rules are subject to change. If any changes are made to them, I will announce them in the thread
  12. Failure to abide by any of these rules will result in warnings and/or modkills, at the discretion of the host (i.e. me).

Sign-ups

For this game, I will be aiming for 18 sign-ups, similar to the number my previous game had. Due to the nature of the game and the planning process, any additional signups will be put as replacements (which, in my experience, are always needed and very much appreciated!).

Sign-ups will be open for roughly 1 week, closing on , after which all the normal things like the game thread and roles will be put up and sent out.

Players
1. turb (Sou Hiyori)
2. Ninja Squid (Caspar von Bergliez)
3. Long John Spaghetti (Luz Noceda)
4. GBAToad (Demon King Nobunaga)
5. Hooded Pitohui
6. Shy Guy On Wheels (Minecraft with Gadget)
7. GhostGirl (Araceli)
8. Waluigi Time
9. Superchao (Reko Yabusame)
10. Fun With Despair (Spamton)
11. InsaneBlathers (W.D. Blathers)
12. Shoey (JamesCalebJackson(ghost))
13. Flygon64 (Sora64)
14. The Pyro Guy (Thanos (Car))
15. Zdrmonster Productions
16. Yoshi the SSM
17. Luigi64DD (Reigen Arataka)
18. Snack

Replacements
1. Ninelevendo
2. MrConcreteDonkey (Not Shane)
3. BabyLuigiOnFire
4. Goombuigi
Didn't notice this until now but why are day phases 24 hours?

Flygon64

Flygon " I shall figure this out later " 64
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Flygon64
1636057589464.png

1636057704318.png

Propeller Knight
So then I came up to the man and said " I'VE DRANK FIVE BOTTLES OF ICHOR AND I'M DRUNK AS HELL!!! LMFAO " BWAHAHA- * hic *
1636057957599.png

King Knight
You've told us this story five different times, your MAJESTY is getting tired of this.
1636058085092.png

Plague Knight

And I've fallen asleep 10 times, get new material! (Hee hee)
1636058186979.png

Specter Knight
Hmm yes the drunken babbling of this moron ending would be quite nice... I mustnt have to put in a bit work on my own end? Or will I have I to do such?
This nonsense aside, it seems there is an abnormally sized elephant in the dining room. Besides the shovel wielding blue moron.
1636058742090.png

Shovel Knight
Foul Order of No Quarter! It appears the tower's dining room has found itself in the middle of...
1636059237177.png

Mole Knight
Chaos Town, I heard about this place when I was signing papers and deciding on the finer details I had about that deal me and Treasure Knight were having about the land and the sea or whatever.
1636059627483.png

Treasure Knight
This joint, oh yeah, it's normally pretty quiet, peaceful town deal. Very easy to exploit heh, never bothered to however. From what I've heard recently making deals with some people, it seems a Mafia Game is going to take place. A war of Lawfuls and Chaotics.
1636060013664.png

Propeller Knight
Ah * hic * qui-yes, Mafia oh how I heard of that one HA! Lawfuls must take down the Chaotics, but some of their own are there to betray them for they're wolves in sheep's clothing! Only with deduction and sometimes being utter morons can they defeat the fiends.
1636060279898.png

King Knight

That's it? Easy, your majesty has some deduction skills you know!
1636060363636.png

Plague Knight
Pssss.... the fine print says " Sometimes " being an utter moron (Hee Hee)
1636060491956.png

WE'RE READY TO RUMBLE!!!
1636060542886.png

Polar Knight
( I just wanted to eat my drumstick in peace )

Last edited:

Revin

Ace Detective
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
Didn't notice this until now but why are day phases 24 hours?
theres a few reasons, but basically it boils down to the fact that this is a less serious, test-run sort of game so the shorter time will both prevent it from dragging out if it goes badly and also maybe create a different dynamic in how people interact and place their votes compared to the more elongated phases from more "serious" games
we'll see how things go for the first couple of phases and if its clear that it isnt working then we can always just go back to 48 hour phases, but we wont know until we try!

Arle Nadja

Youtuber Wannabe
Pronouns
He/him
The five characters featured in the logo banner, who will not be featured as roles but still play a part in the narrative and will be properly introduced later, serve as a few examples of the kinds of people you may come across or become during your stay in Chaos Town.
Waiting for Revin to introduce the OCs be like
1636406076089.png

Revin

Ace Detective
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
apologies for the delay! truth be told, ive been spending the past week or so taking a bit of a forum break to recharge my batteries before the game starts. but i did promise introductions, so introductions i will provide! starting with...

mayor stronghart full.png

Mayor Stronghart

Keeping his pocket watch perfectly in sync, the mayor of Chaos Town seeks to reform the town's bizarre ways and bring it into a new age of Lawfulness, where everything is in its correct place and with no Chaotic troublemakers throwing things into disarray. Naturally, this keeps him quite busy and prevents him from attending some day-to-day activities, but you may still be able to contact him if you have a rather pressing need to discuss, or a good idea for how to make things a little more orderly in this town.

ms assistant.png

Ms. Sara Assistant

With a knack for organisation and desicion-making, Ms. Assistant serves as Mayor Stronghart's second-in-command, taking on all of the smaller and more administrative tasks that he doesn't have time to complete. While at times she is capable of being ruthlessly efficient, she is also quite sociable and friendly, making her a favourite among Chaos Town residents and the first port of call for any residents who need to discuss any issues they may have.

gatekeeper the empty vessel.png

Gatekeeper

Known colloquially among the townsfolk as the "Empty Vessel", this mysterious creature spends its time silently guarding the town's graveyard. No one is quite sure what it is - some say a ghost, some a puppet, and others a chosen hero meant to protect a long forgotten kingdom - but it doesn't seem to have any harmful intentions towards others... so long as they leave the dead alone.

mater the fox.png

Mater the Fox

Fresh from an adventure hunting down various "Pokermen", the friendly fox has returned to Chaos Town to help out his best bud Lightning enact his terrible, chaotic plans. Much like Ms. Assistant, Mater is quite the friendly fellow, always up for a chat about evil mafia plans and is especially open to hearing about new ideas to make the town an even more chaotic place than it already is.

lightning the mafia.png

Lightning the Hedgehog

The hedgehog who probably needs no introduction but is getting one anyway, Lightning has returned to his old stomping grounds to stop Mayor Stronghart from taking the "Chaos" out of "Chaos Town", which would leave it as just "Town". Wanted for various crimes, including murder, druges, colluding with birds and crashing the Mario Awards to promote his video game, Lightning has had quite an accomplished career so far... although something tells me there's still a lot of things we don't know about him.

Before I sign off, just a quick reminder that sign-ups will be "locked-in" on , after which I'll be taking another 24 hours to finalise roles and prepare the game thread before I post it all. I'll be looking forward to seeing who gets which role!

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
apologies for the delay! truth be told, ive been spending the past week or so taking a bit of a forum break to recharge my batteries before the game starts. but i did promise introductions, so introductions i will provide! starting with...

View attachment 20885
Mayor Stronghart

Keeping his pocket watch perfectly in sync, the mayor of Chaos Town seeks to reform the town's bizarre ways and bring it into a new age of Lawfulness, where everything is in its correct place and with no Chaotic troublemakers throwing things into disarray. Naturally, this keeps him quite busy and prevents him from attending some day-to-day activities, but you may still be able to contact him if you have a rather pressing need to discuss, or a good idea for how to make things a little more orderly in this town.

View attachment 20886
Ms. Sara Assistant

With a knack for organisation and desicion-making, Ms. Assistant serves as Mayor Stronghart's second-in-command, taking on all of the smaller and more administrative tasks that he doesn't have time to complete. While at times she is capable of being ruthlessly efficient, she is also quite sociable and friendly, making her a favourite among Chaos Town residents and the first port of call for any residents who need to discuss any issues they may have.

View attachment 20888
Gatekeeper

Known colloquially among the townsfolk as the "Empty Vessel", this mysterious creature spends its time silently guarding the town's graveyard. No one is quite sure what it is - some say a ghost, some a puppet, and others a chosen hero meant to protect a long forgotten kingdom - but it doesn't seem to have any harmful intentions towards others... so long as they leave the dead alone.

View attachment 20889
Mater the Fox

Fresh from an adventure hunting down various "Pokermen", the friendly fox has returned to Chaos Town to help out his best bud Lightning enact his terrible, chaotic plans. Much like Ms. Assistant, Mater is quite the friendly fellow, always up for a chat about evil mafia plans and is especially open to hearing about new ideas to make the town an even more chaotic place than it already is.

View attachment 20890
Lightning the Hedgehog

The hedgehog who probably needs no introduction but is getting one anyway, Lightning has returned to his old stomping grounds to stop Mayor Stronghart from taking the "Chaos" out of "Chaos Town", which would leave it as just "Town". Wanted for various crimes, including murder, druges, colluding with birds and crashing the Mario Awards to promote his video game, Lightning has had quite an accomplished career so far... although something tells me there's still a lot of things we don't know about him.

Before I sign off, just a quick reminder that sign-ups will be "locked-in" on , after which I'll be taking another 24 hours to finalise roles and prepare the game thread before I post it all. I'll be looking forward to seeing who gets which role!
1636417116028.png

Wait a SECOND

Is CHAOS 🥳🥳🥳🎉🎉🎉 actually bad THOUGH??​

Arle Nadja

Youtuber Wannabe
Pronouns
He/him

View attachment 20885
Mayor Stronghart

View attachment 20886
Ms. Sara Assistant

View attachment 20888
Gatekeeper

View attachment 20889
Mater the Fox

View attachment 20890
Lightning the Hedgehog

1636417376098.png

Arle: Haha! It's so nice to meet you all-!
1636417405189.png

Arle: H-Hey! What're you doing?!
1636417448748.png

Sonic: I found you, Faker!

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
View attachment 20892
Arle: Haha! It's so nice to meet you all-!
View attachment 20893
Arle: H-Hey! What're you doing?!
View attachment 20894
Sonic: I found you, Faker!
1636419551768.png

LMFAO look at this BLUE HEDGEHOG calling OTHER HEDGEHOG a "faker"
1636419578995.png

You are clearly the "faker" here, MR. HEDGEHOG, as it seems there is already a person who LOOKS LIKE YOU
1636419641434.png

And NO, just because he LOOKS LIKE YOU does not entitle you to say he is COPYING YOU
1636419578995.png

He has never made ANY CLAIMS that he is THE SAME PERSON AS YOU​

Revin

Ace Detective
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
Quick update: Due to a change in scheduling irl, I'll be pushing things forward by 24 hours, meaning that roles + the game thread will be going up not too long after signups are locked rather than waiting an extra 24 hours. Don't worry, though, there will still be the standard 24-hour "Night 0" for people to get themselves familiar with their roles and such before the game proper starts on Day 1.

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Quick update: Due to a change in scheduling irl, I'll be pushing things forward by 24 hours, meaning that roles + the game thread will be going up not too long after signups are locked rather than waiting an extra 24 hours. Don't worry, though, there will still be the standard 24-hour "Night 0" for people to get themselves familiar with their roles and such before the game proper starts on Day 1.
Is there a revin role and can I have it

Flygon64

Flygon " I shall figure this out later " 64
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Flygon64

View attachment 20885
Mayor Stronghart

View attachment 20886
Ms. Sara Assistant

View attachment 20888
Gatekeeper

View attachment 20889
Mater the Fox

View attachment 20890
Lightning the Hedgehog

1636583727848.png

Plague Knight
Wait a mayor? Oh no it's a role of power that has aforementioned power over a group of peop-
1636583832439.png

King Knight
Worry not poor peasants soon enough your true leader shall free you from the grasps of this dictator.
Into the arms of me, the only true leader a person needs, so naturally you must give all power to me this instant.
1636584092242.png

Treasure Knight
DEMOCRACY YOU GOLDEN SON OF A BITCH!!!

* Fist slam *
DEMOCRACY!!!
1636584257761.png

Tinker Knight

Personally, I think you Chaos Town guys should just go give your money to me. I got a giant battle robot.
I'm a literal tech giant.
1636584386907.png

Propeller Knight
lmfao bro u guys should do that doh freals :psyduck:
* HIC *
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh what do they put in this stuff...

1636584654184.png

Plague Knight
You would not want to know... Hmm... Actually, maybe I should let you know because of that fact.
(Hee hee, can they see my evil truth knowing smile under this mask?)

Alex95

The True Power Master
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Alex95
Wasn't aware there was a new mafia going on because I haven't been at my computer for a while, so I completely missed the sign up. Oh well, signing up as replacement anyway.

Demon King Nobunaga

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him

- NOBU - Ah, it appears I died. A shame really. Sakamoto was being coy making me a detective after I told him about the hotel I dreamt about burning down while being a lead investigator.

- NOBU - Oh well, it can't be helped! A servants job is to die and be resummoned for each holy grail war that takes place. It was all inevitable...

- NOBU - ...but even if I didn't get to put up my glorious title card in time, at least I would have made more cohesive posts than some of the currently alive players! Hurry up and use a command spell to revive me or something. Fah!

- NOBU - Now... to return to the throne until I am once again summoned before the gates of hell... I await your call...

- OKITA - Nobu, I urge you to stop this LARP and move on. It was just a game.

- NOBU - Shut up, Okita! Where did you even come from!?