Sleuthing Games: The Midnight Hotel (Lounge Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roserade

The Fool
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
Forgot to do this earlier but confirming role, I'll figure out rp sometime before game starts

Waluigi Time

Did someone say CEREAL?
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Jury
1. Flygon64 (@Sora64)
2. Hooded Pitohui (@Hooded Pitohui)
3. Waluigi Time (@Dr. Waluigi Frankentime)
4. MFan168 (@MFan168)
5. LJS (@Luz Noceda)
7. Revin (@Aru Honshou)
8. Ghostgirl (@Araceli)
9. YtSSM (@October Yoshi the SSM)
11. Superchao (@Reko Yabusame)

It appears we have another mystery on our hands

In addition to the unsolved absence of Juror #6 it appears that Juror #10 has also gone missing

As I am the brilliant Shmiles Shmedgeworth (not Miles Edgeworth) I'm sure I can figure this out

Flygon64

Flygon " I shall figure this out later " 64
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Flygon64
1634930100478.png

* Souls of the damned screeching and clawing the walls of hell in vain noises *
( hmm.... it seems like even numbers are randomly disappearing )
* cries of the innocent *
( the motherfuckers are killing the number line, 7 has found new victims and has grown a taste for those whom arent odd )

Flygon64

Flygon " I shall figure this out later " 64
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Flygon64
Hey can anyone find juror #12 they seem to be missing
1634932161210.png

* The noises of crying children damned to a Gameboy prison *
( Juror #12 never existed... but my memories of them are so vivid... those times where we never existed together, that ice cream we took together in purgatory... those moments could never be fake... but th-the person I experienced those moments together with... The truth, it lies! Those emotions diggity darn existed- existed... )
1634932505013.png

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
I'm not going to enforce the three posts a day rule, but you guys accepted your invitations so I expect you to actually be playing! It's hard to start anything when only 50% is participating.

You want to know more about the NPCs? Interact with them! Want to buy stuff? Do it now, cause you might not be able to later!

Roserade

The Fool
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
Blathers, I mean it respectfully when I suggest that you give us at least portraits and short profiles for each of the npc characters. While we can learn more about the characters by talking to them, I think in a game setting like this, it's usually the deeper details that should be kept to conversation. Things like why they're at this hotel, their motivations, their concerns, and so on. I'm saying this because for some of our characters, this might impact who we do or don't end up interacting with. Squilliam as a character, for instance, is much more likely to judge by appearance and how immediately "upper-class" someone looks will dictate his conversations, so me having clear indication of at least what every character looks like is important. So giving us that initial thread allows us to pull at it, and discover where the thread leads by the end

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Blathers, I mean it respectfully when I suggest that you give us at least portraits and short profiles for each of the npc characters. While we can learn more about the characters by talking to them, I think in a game setting like this, it's usually the deeper details that should be kept to conversation. Things like why they're at this hotel, their motivations, their concerns, and so on. I'm saying this because for some of our characters, this might impact who we do or don't end up interacting with. Squilliam as a character, for instance, is much more likely to judge by appearance and how immediately "upper-class" someone looks will dictate his conversations, so me having clear indication of at least what every character looks like is important. So giving us that initial thread allows us to pull at it, and discover where the thread leads by the end
Ok, I'll work on that
Sorry for the rough start, this is the first time I'm running a game like this.

W.D. Blathers

☝︎❒︎♏︎♏︎⧫︎♓︎■︎♑︎⬧︎
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Right now I'm not really sure where to take the game. I know I've handled it poorly and I've just been a too tired to manage it when I've said I would, which is dragging the game down. My decision to limit the group size like I did was also rather poor since it means that and the above factor resulted in a rather slow progression, and not much has been done over the last week. Ideally, there would be more investigators, a considerably smaller (and easier to manage) map, and a more limited NPC pool, along with slightly better management on my part.
And the way the game's headed, I feel like it would be unreasonable to ask you to go into the judicial phase and make the jury decide on a verdict with so little to work off. So I'd like to hear from you; would you rather stop the game now, perhaps with a revised do-over at some point in the future (later this year, maybe?), continue as planned, or extend the investigative phase by a few more days as I try to attend the game more? I want to hear your thoughts, since you guys probably have a better view of what needs to be done than me.
I never meant to waste your time, so I sincerely apologize if this game is cancelled and any effort you invested in this is voided.

Demon King Nobunaga

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Well, I believed the game might have worked out with the level of players, map, and such things given, but you really didnt follow the advice I gave you when you asked earlier, and if you're stating that you couldn't really commit to the game yourself even after that, then there's really no reason to expect others to want to do so as well at this point, especially since this is the first time this has been hosted.

Sadly I can't really fault most of the players here. Most of us definitely tried up until a certain point, but it appears the interest dropped hard when the interaction wasn't there to sustain the immersion and mystery.

It's unfortunate, but I really hope this was a learning experience for you. Hosting interactive murder mysteries is difficult, and even if you want it to be low commitment for the players, that unfortunately doesn't mean its low commitment for the host, but I believe a mystery of this scale could have worked with a more open communication about times you'd be active. Regardless, I would recommend checking out a KG the next time one is hosted so you can get a better idea of what might work here, since they're very similar, especially if you plan on increasing player size. By that I mean mechanic-wise, I would definitely not adopt the "commit your whole life to a forum game for a few months" model like I did for AKG4. Just that, I think the game experiences were similar and you might gain a bit of perspective if you participate in one. Good luck in the future when you decide to rehost this.

Last edited:

Revin

Ace Detective
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
i'd mostly echo gba's thoughts here. i think this probably could have worked, but given how slowly things have progressed, and how it seems like you yourself haven't had the energy to manage things, then I'm not sure there's really a point in dragging things out, particularly when you've really only got 2 or 3 people who are still trying to play. it kind of sucks that it played out this way, but cancelling a game isnt the end of the world, and if you're mature you should be able to learn from the mistakes of this game and come back to it after some time has passed. you've been given some good feedback and suggestions throughout the short time this game was running, so i hope you'll be able to take some of that on board. that being said, i'll also echo GBA's suggestion that you check out a KG when the next one happens. given the similarities between the formats, i think you could stand to learn a lot from actually experiencing and participating in one as it happens in real time, and seeing how that kind of game is managed and the sort of expectations players would have for it. so yeah, my recommendation would be to postpone the game at least until after you've done that, because if you just cancel it and relaunch it "later this year" (which, at most would be 1 month away?) i'm not sure you'll have had enough time to weigh things up and (re)plan things out

Roserade

The Fool
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
I'm going to start this post by apologizing to everyone I was playing with for my general absence, and I'm especially sorry to you, Blathers, for not giving a clear indication of my availability. I had a lot going on, but it was still my responsibility to communicate with everyone, and it's a clear fault of my own that I didn't. I also hope that this post doesn't feel inappropriate because of my general distance.

I definitely think that GBA and Revin have the right points for this. If I summarize any one idea to keep in mind, I would say seek to limit the scope, so that you can develop what you already have into something stronger. The less floors in your building, the more you can embellish the locations you have; the less characters you have to juggle, the more you can really work alongside the players to strengthen them and their personalities. In a project like this, it's important that your foundational elements are strong, or otherwise you're going to have a lot to focus on, and unfortunately some aspects will teeter off. Experiencing a Killing Game is going to be your greatest resource in determining what that feels like from a mechanical perspective (unless someone hosts a KG poorly (don't look at me I know I caused AKG3)).

I do believe this idea has a lot of potential, though, and I would like to participate in a rehost at some point next year. I would definitely be willing to pull Squilliam back out for the occasion. I very much recommend that you wait to have your own murder mystery experience on the boards first, though. Waiting a while will give you the experience and hindsight you need to make this a strong success.

Demon King Nobunaga

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Anyway, I'm gonna give this a few days and then lock and archive both threads, so any maintenance you wish to do on both should happen before then :ashley:

Status
Not open for further replies.