Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
powderkegmine.png

Hosted by InsaneBlathers

Greetings, and welcome to a new game I have created with help from Hooded Pitohui and Roserade- Duowars. This is in the same vein as Mafia and Killing Games, so you may like this if enjoy those sorts of games. These are the rules.​

How to Play
All players are sorted into teams of two. Each team gets their own private chat to talk in and is composed of two members; a Defender, and an Invader. Most defenders have access to special abilities, and Invaders are the only ones who can make nightly kill attempts. You'll have to work with your teammate and combine your strengths in order to be the last one standing.

Each player gets a role, some of which give them a special ability. This can range from traditional Mafia roles like the Cop and the Doctor to new ones with unique powers, such as the Mime and the Bouncer. All players are able to use their abilities each night, if they wish to do so.

There are 4 stats that may come into play in some occasions, that are all decided by your role, increasing or decreasing as you survive phases and do certain things. The host will use these to make hidden stat rolls that determine your success in carrying out certain actions, making a nightly kill, and using a special ability.
  • Smarts: Determines how knowledgeable you are, your perceptiveness, and reasoning.
  • Dexterity: This stat controls your reaction time, flexibility, and fine motor control.
  • Health: A high health score means you're strong and have good constitution and stamina.
  • Charisma: Charisma determines if you are intimidating, persuasive, and easy to talk to.

The game is split into 2 phases- a day phase and a night phase. Day phases last 48 hours and night phases last 24 hours.

In night phases, Defenders can use their special abilities and Invaders can make a kill attempt. They can pick any person to kill, and that kill succeeds or fails based on a few factors, including stats and luck. Invaders should describe how they want to kill someone (throw coals in their face, ground pound them, etc), as it factors into their success rate. Only one person at the most is killed each night, and sometimes no one dies at all. In day phases, any deaths that happened the previous night are reported, and the players can debate on who they think is the killer. Players can vote using Vote: InsaneBlathers, and can also skip their vote or vote not to lynch anyone. Whoever gets the most votes is lynched that day and eliminated from the game.

If a player finds themselves alone (as the result of their teammate dying), they become a rouge. This has two affects; one, neither teammate can use their team's private chat. Two, Defenders gain the ability to kill, at the cost of decreased stats.

The last two players standing are the winners. You don't have to survive with your teammate to win, but if you do, congrats, you're special! Give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie.

Rules
  1. No quoting or reposting your rolecard. Roleclaiming is fine, but you can't quote the exact words on your rolecard.
  2. Don't start private conversations with players to chat about the game without my explicit permission. Team PMs are allowed, however, as is the telepath PM.
  3. You must submit night actions in your team PM thread, so your teammate (and me) are aware of your activity.
  4. Please inform me (if possible) if you can't be around for an extended period of time, or want to drop out. I may have to find a replacement in that case.
  5. Roleplay isn't required but strongly encouraged for this game.
  6. Failure to comply with these rules will result in a warning, and repeated infractions will result in a modkill or replacement.

Setting
After the discovery of $2,000,000 worth of plutonium in Powderkeg Mine, tons of people came to get a piece of the cash. Unfortunately, most of them were unaware of the fact that plutonium is, in fact, very poisonous. The lucky ones among you who prepared in advance are now faced with the opportunity of a lifetime... or so you thought. Bob-Ombs, who have lived in the mine for decades (being immune to radiation), are not happy to have their peaceful hideaway disturbed. So, they triggered an explosion to trap all of you in their deadly caverns, plotting to pit you against each other and reclaim their molten paradise.

Roles
Defender Roles
Cop - You can investigate a player each night phase. You are able to get one of two pieces of information about them, their partner or alignment. You can't investigate the same person twice.
Doctor - You can choose someone to protect each night. Any kill attempts made on that person automatically fail. You can't protect the same person twice in a row, and you can protect your teammate, but not themselves.
Spy - You can choose one player to monitor each night. The next night phase, you can see three random messages that player sent in their team PM. You can't monitor the same player twice in a row, and you won't see ability submission messages. Some messages may be edited to be more ambiguous.
Bulletproof - You an protect themselves from a successful kill attempt once.
Clairvoyant - You can use their powers to find out the role of the partner of whoever kills on the night they use this ability. You get this information at the beginning of the following day. You can only do this two times.
Bouncer - Every other night, you can prevent a player and their teammate from using their team PM the following day phase. You can't target the same player twice, or use this power on consecutive nights.
Mime - You can place an invisible box around a player, preventing them from using any investigative abilities, or any investigative abilities being used on them, the next night.
Necromancer - You can revive a player at the cost of your life. This power can only be used up to two day phases after the death of the aforementioned player.
Supporter - You can increase your partner's chance of succeeding their next kill, or use this power on someone else to strengthen it (only once in the game). For example, a cop could find out a player's partner and alignment, a spy could see six random messages, and a doctor could protect two people.
Telepath - You are allowed to send messages to the telepath killer in a private PM, but you may not reveal your partner in this conversation. You are also not allowed to reveal the identity of the telepath receiver to others. The telepath receiver is not able to reply to you.
Bomb - If someone makes a successful kill attempt on you, you can blow up, killing you and them in the process. If anyone is using an investigative power on you or your killer that night, they receive no information, and if the doctor attempts to protect you, they will die.
Gunner - You can use your ability once to shoot and kill a player in broad daylight. This reveals your role to others immediately.
Jester - You can choose a person to distract next day phase. Any multi-day processes that player was undergoing are stopped (bouncers, mimes, spies, and clairvoyants can't use their abilities, and telepaths can't use their private chat)
Brewster - Your strong drink can put one player in a hangover and make it impossible for them to speak in their team PM or use their ability/kill attempt the next day/night cycle. You can only use this ability three times and not on the same person. You can also choose to learn the partner of the drunken player one time.
Bilingual - You can force a player and their teammate to speak only in a language of your choosing in their team PM for the next day phase. You can only use this ability three times and not on the same person.

Invader Roles
Vanilla - You have the ability to make a nightly kill attempt with no other conditions or parameters.
Cold-Blooded - You re-attempt a kill the first time it fails. (This power is used all nights for behind the scenes calculations, and is an opt-out ability)
Ninja - You can't be seen by investigative powers when you make a kill attempt (excluding the cop).
Telepath Receiver - You are allowed to receive messages from the telepath in a private PM. You are not allowed to reveal the identity of the telepath to others.
Mustache - When a cop or other investigative role checks you, they receive false information in accordance to your pleasing.

Players
The game will proceed with 14 or more players, and will cap at 24, with an extension to 30 if it is reached. You can sign up as a player, a replacement to fill in for unavailable/banned players, or a spectator with access to the ghost/spectator chat. Starting date is as of right now undecided, but you should have a few weeks before the game begins.
  1. Popopo

Replacements
  1. Kirbyo (Pippersquawk)
Spectators

So, if you want to join in, post a message in bold!

Last edited:

Dr. Waluigi Frankentime

It was a breakfast smash
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Waluigi Time
This is a neat concept you have here and I'd be interested in participating, but I'm concerned that attempting to run this at the same time as Galactic Mafia isn't a very good idea. This game seems very similar to Mafia so getting enough players to participate in this while a Mafia game is about to start and already has a lot of players committed to it might be difficult. My personal opinion is that you might be better off postponing this and hosting it in The Glitz Pit later as a non-Awards game, since I do think it would be a shame to see this go completely unused due to lack of interest.

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
This is a neat concept you have here and I'd be interested in participating, but I'm concerned that attempting to run this at the same time as Galactic Mafia isn't a very good idea. This game seems very similar to Mafia so getting enough players to participate in this while a Mafia game is about to start and already has a lot of players committed to it might be difficult. My personal opinion is that you might be better off postponing this and hosting it in The Glitz Pit later as a non-Awards game, since I do think it would be a shame to see this go completely unused due to lack of interest.
I understand that and had the same concern myself
I'm not entirely willing to give up doing this as an awards game, so I might just push the starting date back a week or three

Last edited:

Caspar von Bergliez

Right makes might, right?
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
roserade said it would be ok so blame them
Joke or not, throwing Rose under the bus like that when he never told you to host the game right now is outright rude.

People who might be interested in playing might also show concerns with what you are hosting and with that said, take responsibilites for your own actions in order to take their concerns into consideration. You are the host after all. :yoshi:

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Is there an age restriction?
No, there is not.
Also, I'm just gonna say it: bilingual is not a good idea for a role, mainly because google translate exists, and it takes two seconds to translate something. Of course, if you think it's a good idea I won't get in your way.
This role was made with the intention of making people use Google translate.
It's meant to be a mild inconvenience and also could result in incorrect translations.
Joke or not, throwing Rose under the bus like that when he never told you to host the game right now is outright rude.

People who might be interested in playing might also show concerns with what you are hosting and with that said, take responsibilites for your own actions in order to take their concerns into consideration. You are the host after all. :yoshi:
Sorry, that was a stupid joke. I would like to raise their point of having AKG and Awards Mafia happen at around the same time, however. This game is more similar to mafia, yes, but KG is still quite close to mafia too.
I'll probably make the starting date late into Galactic Mafia in order to minimize overlap and keep it fairly soon. Around 2-3 weeks from now seems the best option, with a few day break after sign ups close to organize certain things.
Now, I don't know whether or not to join as I've already signed up for Galactic Mafia, like WT said, people may no sign up for this since they're participating in Galactic Mafia, but I want to sign up anyways. I'll tell you my final opinion in a few days time.
I understand that concern, and I'll do my best to minimize overlap between the two games. However, since I would like to keep it as an awards season game, and start a reasonable amount of time after now, I won't be able to completely separate the two. Rest assured, however, that you can sign up at any time in the sign-ups period, and if you sign up now, you still won't have to start playing for a while.

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
Very interesting idea. So, this is what you think is a good combination of mafia and killing games. We might have lots of these games around that try to combine mafia and KG. I mean, I have an idea to take the Among Us approach to the combination of mafia and KG. And no, the idea is not in Galactic Mafia because I wanted to host a mafia game to see how well I do. The Among Us approach is having night actions for everyone (which it does as tasks for crewmates and killings for impostors), but having specific people as the bad guys throughout the entire game. And it will take lots of work to balance everything. Especially with tasks, crewmates could theoretically always vote no lynch without figuring out who's mafia and the mafia have no chance of winning because of it. So, this is why I call it in the idea phase right now. At least I have an idea of basing the game around it that is not Among Us and that game being Sonic Colors.

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Hmmm, upon thinking about this for a bit, I have come to the conclusion that your concerns are legitimate, and it would not only be taking on all the players partaking in both events, but also myself,. for hosting both of them. Because of this, I am considering locking this thread for the time being and reopening it in a few weeks. As an alternative, I may leave the thread open for anyone who wishes to sign up, but not officially begin signups for a while.

However, I would like to make an attempt to remedy a problem plaguing Mafia and KG; their high commitment level. This results in hosts having to wait for others to finish before starting their games, as there is a fairly limited mafia crowd here at the moment. So, I'm brainstorming ideas for a low-commitment, roughly week-long alternative to mafia, which uses similar ideas but remains more original, incorporating the freedom of KG. My hope is to have one of these every other week or so at a fairly consistent pace (and perhaps continuing story), with a new host each week. This would be designed so that someone can play mafia or kg at the same time without feeling too stressed or overworked.