Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
banner.png

Welcome to Awards Killing Game 5 - Luigi's Mansion: Redux! Please read this entire opening post before posting anything in this thread.

Killing Games have been a staple game for the Mario Awards for a few years now, being roughly based on and inspired by Mafia and the Danganronpa series of video games. It originally started out on Minus World where it was created by Fun With Despair, and was brought over to the Super Mario Boards by Lord Bowser in 2017. This year, it is organised by Lord Bowser and me, Lakituthequick.

The general goal of Killing Games is to commit murder, and investigating these murders. This while avoiding being killed yourself, or being found out if you are the killer.

At the beginning of the game, all players will be assigned roles, which determine what powers and abilities they have, and stats belonging to those. The stats are as follows:
  • Speed: determines your movement speed and the priority of some actions.
  • Stealth: determines the likelihood of moving undetected by other players, and your ability to hide yourself or things.
  • Stamina: determines how much you can do without getting tired, thus limiting how much you can do in a night.
  • Strength: determines how much physical power you can exert, as well as use to defend yourself.

The game is mostly divided between day and night phases.

At night, you submit actions you want to do that night. This can be pretty much anything you want to do, as permitted by your surroundings and your stats. This includes using your role abilities and attempting murder, don't forget about those! While you try to attempt murder, you should also try avoiding getting killed yourself.
You submit your actions by sending them in the conversation you received your role in.

During the day, the night's victim(s) are revealed, and the investigation opens. A few starter points are revealed, and you then submit investigations by posting them in the game thread. Innocent people will need to try and find the culprit, while the culprit has to avoid getting suspicion upon themselves.
To aid with the investigation, you can post a paraphrased version of your night results.

When you think you are certain of someone's guilt, you can vote for them in the voting thread. Voting opens halfway during the investigation.

Depending on a few circumstances, there will be one or two victims during the night. If two murders have been attempted, it might just so happen that two people die! Do note, there will never be just one culprit in these circumstances; if there are two victims, there are two culprits.
If there are two deaths to sorrow about, you also need to connect the right victim to the right culprit!

Map features
Welcome to Luigi's Mansion! We will reveal the full map and descriptions before the game starts, but let us introduce some specific features you can find in the mansion.

Most prominently, portrait ghosts! Nearly all of them can be found in the mansion. For gameplay purposes, they serve as minor NPCs, as they are physically present and have awareness. In general though, they don't care too much about the living wandering around. You might be able to ask them if they've seen something, but you'll need to pay them various amounts of money for that. More on that later.

Portrait ghosts don't just sit around doing nothing however! They are generally divisible in a few groups. Some ghosts will, in exchange for money, sell you some of their items. Other ghosts will buy stuff from you that they like. And the last group will provide specific other services, with varying effects…
Which ghosts do what things and where they reside can be found within the map's room descriptions, available before the game starts.

Following up on ghost economy, you will be able to find money around the mansion, just like you could in the GCN and 3DS games. This means that you can search through drawers and cabinets, and probably other places, and end up with more riches in your pocket! Money can be exchanged for goods and services, brought to you in part by our resident portrait ghosts. Your money total will be given to you in G's, within your nightly results.
By the way, besides bribing ghosts to tell you about what they saw, did you know you can bribe them not to as well?
If you noticed that there is no Social stat as in previous editions, this is because money replaces it.

Lastly, you can find various mirrors in the mansion as well. Very handy objects in fact, because when you look into them, you will be teleported back to the foyer on the first floor. Doing this causes the mirror to shatter however, making it unusable for the rest of the night. It will automatically mend before the next night begins.

Important points
  • Because of the general themes within this game, you need to be 15 years or older in order to participate.
  • Do not share any info you've received directly from the hosts, including your role card, night results, and clarifications. Paraphrasing is fine, changing a few pronouns is not.
  • Be active. This kind of game only works if all players are involved, so please be present for investigations. Don't sign up if you can't be active for the most part of the game.
  • Team-ups are generally forbidden for murder purposes. It's okay to do stuff together occasionally, but in no way may this involve planning or covering up for murder. Do not attempt to circumvent this, it will fail.
  • Some ghosts may cause effects that have the potential to lead to someone dying. If this happens, there will ultimately always be a player responsible for this happening, who will then count as being the culprit.

Gameplay
  • There is one map in this game: Luigi's Mansion.
  • During night phases, you have 24 hours to submit your actions to the hosts.
  • Should no viable murder attempts be present in the submissions, a resubmission period will open in which you may revise your night actions to include an attempt.
  • Between submitting and the investigation phases, the hosts will create a case based on what was submitted, determining who died and whodunnit. No action from you is needed within this time.
  • Day investigations last 48 hours, the last 24 of which voting opens.
  • The game will loop in cycles of one week, meaning that each phase of the game happens on the same day of the week every time, barring exceptional circumstances.
    • Night submissions open on Sunday and close on Monday
    • Day investigations go live on Friday and end on Sunday.
    • The exact time on which this happens will be determined later, based on the spread of timezones the players live in.
  • Most discussion will happen in a Discord server, which will be publicly opened shortly before the game starts.
  • It's not possible to submit these kinds of investigations:
    • Fingerprint comparisons
    • Looking for a specific item all across the mansion, also known as 'sweeping'

Last edited:

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Hey, the Killing Games are back. Of course I have to be Builder Luigi, right?
Utc Eastern Time: (US And Canada)
If I may, I recommend you read the entirety of the opening post first.

Toasty Toad

All toasters toast toast
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
GreenWeegee
Hello, I just join the forums a week ago and I am wondering how will anyone know who is dead because the killer would have to say who they killed but they cant expose themselves and how does this work.

Doomhiker

Lakitu
Wiki Patroller
Core 'Shroom Staff
Hello, I just join the forums a week ago and I am wondering how will anyone know who is dead because the killer would have to say who they killed but they cant expose themselves and how does this work.
Who is dead is formally announced by the host. Look at this thread for an example. The killer can (usually) lie as much as they want, no exposure is nessecary. The killed is informed of their state by the host, the host posts basic info on who died in the thread, the killer (and other players) are informed of what they did the night before.

Here is an example of a message of my night's results from last year, greatly shortened for brevity:

• Suddenly, the power in the building shuts off, filling the room with an eerie silence as the music disappears in an instant. You assume this might be Vera preparing for a dramatic photo, and think of the best pose you can come up with as you wait for a camera flash.
  • And, your instincts were right, as a flash of light casts a brief frame of SAYAKA CLUTCHING A SPEAR, RAN MITAKE on the ground, cowering in fear, VERA holding her CAMERA, and A SHIRTLESS SLEDGE CHARGING AT SOMEONE. You of course were posing with your pencil during this time.
  • You hear a loud crashing noise, and the scattering of many tiny objects on the ground. You try to walk out of the room, but feel small round plastic balls under your feet, causing you to slip. You then decide to lie on the ground and end your night here.
  • In the morning, KAMMIS BODY IS DISCOVERED IN HER OFFICE. You have killed her, and received additional stocks in KAMT.
I wouldn't recommend playing if you're new to the forum. It requires a decent amount of understanding of the community and how to use the forums.

Doomhiker

Lakitu
Wiki Patroller
Core 'Shroom Staff
Among Us has nothing to do with the game. "Murder Mystery" refers to hundreds of different pieces of media.

Marge Simpson

I can see through time
Pronouns
She/her
The game is kinda like a cross between DnD and Mafia

I wouldn't let it discourage you from joining. The easiest way to learn is to play

Toasty Toad

All toasters toast toast
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
GreenWeegee
Oh, I play lots of dnd the weirdest experience I had was when my best friend threw his character's wife at medusa then ripped off her hair(medusa not his wife)

Alex95

The True Power Master
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Alex95
I maybe would have played, but a. I've never played Dangorompa, and b. I'm not old enough to play, although it does seem like afterward it would make a good murder mystery read!
a is not a requirement, as I've never played it myself but been in the last three games. b is a requirement, though.

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
We noticed we forgot one important detail in the opening post: the starting date! The game is expected to start Sunday, 11 July, with the submissions for night 1.

This question was already answered by others as well as the opening post, but just to give a singular answer, when the day starts, there will be a post announcing who died, where their body is, and a few starting points. The killer doesn't have to expose themselves for that in any way.

If this happens will it be the day after or something
We will hopefully have assessed the submissions far enough to determine if a viable murder is present within a couple hours after the submission period has closed, and then open retries as soon as possible until the next round 24 hours.

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Good day fellow MarioWiki-ians.

We, LB and LTQ, are currently in a difficult position regarding hosting the game.

A while ago, I, Lakituthequick, was planning a game with Hooded Pitohui. Due to obligations on his part, he had to drop out of hosting for this year, which is entirely okay and the right thing to do in his situation. As a result, after a little while, Lord Bowser teamed up with me, with the excellent plan to work on a project of his, rehosting the first Killing Game in 2017 with a renewed map, new roles, and brushed up rules based on all KGs hosted since.

We announced this in a community Discord server, and received a bit of mixed feedback over that. On the other hand it was good that with the resources I had, we teamed up to put up a lighter game, but on the other hand it was a bit of a downer that the "big Awards game" was to be a rerun of a previous one. Overall valid and workable feedback, but it did resonate with us motivationally.

It is now July and this very thread has been posted, but we still have a lot of work to do. Simultaneously, multiple people have said not to be joining this year, exactly because of weekend obligations that would make them unable to partake. Once again, a valid thing to do, and nothing against them whatsoever. Again though, it did resonate with us motivationally.

On top of this though, my (LTQ) personal mental health is also in a bad place at the moment, to a point where having so much stuff to do, and the negative, well, backlash is a big word to use, but describes how we both feel best, is affecting my real life obligations as well. Both of us are now in a state where we feel continuing to host the game is an obligation to have it exist, rather than a genuine desire to host a fun game for the awards.

This is LB writing my own piece. Unfortunately I felt very similar to LTQ regarding severe demotivation, and it was something that, try as I might, never completely recovered. It was bad enough that it was affecting my self-confidence and esteem, and my heart wasn’t really in it anymore. I do feel trying to host the game in our current state would be a recipe for disaster, both for our mental health and for the game itself, and it’s most likely in everyone’s best interest if we put things on hold for now.

As such, we will unfortunately have to cancel LM:R for the awards. This is in the best interest for our mental health, as well as the quality of the game.
We will keep our progress and game details on file however, and are planning on hosting it proper on a later date.

We are deeply sorry to have to make this post so soon after opening this thread, especially to those looking forward towards their first or second Killing Game.
We also apologise to Anton and Turboo for putting this blemish on the season. We rather have it be contained to this however, instead of a bad game.

Have a good Awards season everyone!

Lord Bowser and Lakituthequick

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.”
— Shigeru Miyamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.