Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Tournament 2021 (Singles and Doubles)

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui

Settle it in Smash!

It's taken some time, but we're now ready to go with the 2021 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament for the Mario Wiki Awards. With credit to Alex, who graciously let me reuse his OP and tournament structure from last year as a base, I hope to give this forum's Smash players a chance to play some matches against each other, meet some new faces, and enjoy themselves.

Once again this year, there will be two tournaments happening at the same time, both a 1-on-1 singles tournament and a 2-on-2 doubles tournament.

Brackets

Challonge link (Singles): https://challonge.com/81da94qk
Challonge link (Doubles): https://challonge.com/1dnnyp65

Rule set:

• 3 stocks
• 8 minutes
• Items and Final Smashes: Off
• Spirits: Off
• Stage morph and hazards: Off
• Team attack: On (for the team tourney)

Legal stages:
• All Battlefield variants
• Small Battlefield
• All Final Destination variants
• Lylat Cruise
• Smashville
• Town and City
• Pokémon Stadiums
• Kalos Pokémon League
• Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
• Yoshi's Story
• Unova Pokémon League

Gentleman's Rule is also in effect, you can use whatever normal stage you want so long as you both agree on it, aside from the following, which are all banned regardless (except for their BF/FD variants):
• Palutena's Temple
• 25m
• Hyrule Temple
• Mario Bros.
• The Great Cave Offensive

Also, any 2D stages (Flat Zone, Pac-Land, etc.) are banned entirely in all forms due to their lack of depth messing with the Z-Axis of some moves.

You may use any characters you would like, so long as they were added to the game before July 1st, 2021 (which is everyone currently in the roster).

Format:
  • All rounds are Best-2-of-3.
  • Singles tournament will go for 6 Rounds.
  • Doubles tournament will go for 5 Rounds.
  • Rounds will last a week. An extension can be granted if necessary, as I know coordination can be difficult.
    • Failing to partake in a fight during the time granted will result in a loss. If your partner fails to show during the time for doubles, it will have to count as a loss for the both of you. Continuing to not show up will result in tournament disqualification.
  • The Single player tournament will use a Swiss system, which places people against each other based on their performance.
  • The Doubles tournament will use a Round Robin system, which lets every team fight each other one time.
    • These may change depending on the number of players who enter.

Post your scores here, in Discord DMs, forum message, email, or however. The person and team with the most wins will, y'know, win.

Sign-ups:
So you want to play, do you? Well, I'm going to need these from you:

• Solo sign-up
    • Your forum username
    • Your Switch username
    • Your Switch friend code
    • Time zone and times that work for you
  • Team sign-ups (one person posts for the both of you)
    • Both of your forum names
    • Both of your Switch usernames
    • Both of your Switch friend codes
    • Both of your time zones and times that work for you both
    • A team name for extra flare, and so I have one thing to call you by
Sign ups are open… NOW! They will close and the tournament will begin on . Happy Smashing!

Participants:
  • Solo people
Forum usernameSwitch usernameSwitch friend codeTime zone and times available
FantanoiceFantanoiceSW-1185-3678-7111UTC+10 (Active Hours: Mainly Weekends)
The Pyro GuyTPGSW-5186-2405-5711BST/UTC+1 (Active Hours: "Waking Hours")
Waluigi TimeWTSW-4223-0648-3321CDT/UTC-5 (Active Hours: 11am-9pm with a few exceptions)
YoshiwakerMayanSW-7606-6233-3515EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: can make pretty much any time work)
Ninja SquidNinjaSquidSW-0877-7455-5004ADT/UTC-3 (Active Hours: 2PM-11PM)
KirbyoEpic LuigiSW-0015-8752-0723EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: Any day after 6:00 PM)
SMOPlayerSplatYoshiSW-1544-2023-3634EST/UTC-5 (Active Hours: Any day after 6:00 PM)
Luigi 64DDLuigi 64DDSW-4184-5900-3232CDT/UTC-5 (Active Hours: (9 AM - 11 PM, with exceptions)
NinelevendoNin11doSW-5056-6247-9414AEST/UTC+10 (Active Hours: (1 PM-11 PM most days)
TurbooturbSW-1512-5312-3150MST/UTC-7 (Active Hours: Late Evening Mon-Thurs, Free Friday Saturday and Sunday)
ShygulShygulSW-1179-6487-5010EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: 12:00 AM - 3:00 AM and 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Mon-Friday, anytime after 11:30 AM Weekends)
Hooded PitohuiOvie ValSW-6880-0428-3118EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: Monday - Friday 11:00 AM to 6 PM)
SuperchaoSuperchaoSW-1115-1546-9324EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: Basically whenever, just schedule it first)
  • Team people
Team nameForum usernamesSwitch usernamesSwitch friend codesTime zones and times available
Rogueport RoguesNinja Squid
Waluigi Time
NinjaSquid
WT
SW-0877-7455-5004
SW-4223-0648-3321
ADT/UTC-3 (Active Hours: 2PM-11PM)
CDT/UTC-5 (Active Hours: 11 AM to 9 PM with a few exceptions)
ConsumersKirbyo
SMOPlayer
Epic Luigi
SplatYoshi
SW-0015-8752-0723
SW-1544-2023-3634
EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: Any day after 6:00 PM)
EST/UTC-5 (Active Hours: Any day after 6:00 PM)
The Close RangersThe Pyro Guy
Luigi 64DD
TPG
Luigi 64DD
SW-5186-2405-5711
SW-4184-5900-3232
BST/UTC+1 (Active Hours: "Waking Hours")
CDT/UTC-5 (Active Hours: (9 AM - 11 PM, with exceptions)

POV you're versing Two Users with the Worst Internet Speed using Wi-Fi who pay for a Nintendo Switch Online subscription that does nothing to decrease their Lag but gives them a catalogue of games they already own
Ninelevendo
Fantanoice
Nin11do
fantanoice
SW-5056-6247-9414
SW-1185-3678-7111
AEST/UTC+10 (Active Hours: generally weekends after 1pm.)
The Worst Most Despicable and Disastrous DuoTurboo
Superchao
turb
Superchao
SW-1512-5312-3150
SW-1115-1546-9324
MST/UTC-7 (Active Hours: Late Evening Mon-Thurs, Free Friday Saturday and Sunday)
EDT/UTC-4 (Active Hours: Basically whenever, just schedule it first)

Last edited:

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
I don't think there needs to be a whole separate thread for it, as most people work out their doubles partners through private conversation. I'm not opposed if you want to make a post here saying you're looking for a doubles partner. I'd also recommend doing some outreach, though, contacting people individually who might be interested in being your partner and asking them if they'll join you.

But why don't you post your interest in a doubles partner here first, and we'll see what happens? Maybe someone else who wants to do doubles and doesn't have a partner will pop up, and you two can join together.

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
I don't think there needs to be a whole separate thread for it, as most people work out their doubles partners through private conversation. I'm not opposed if you want to make a post here saying you're looking for a doubles partner. I'd also recommend doing some outreach, though, contacting people individually who might be interested in being your partner and asking them if they'll join you.

But why don't you post your interest in a doubles partner here first, and we'll see what happens? Maybe someone else who wants to do doubles and doesn't have a partner will pop up, and you two can join together.
Ok!

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
The Pyro Guy
TPG
SW-5186-2405-5711
bri'ish, most waking hours are fine

Caspar von Bergliez

Right makes might, right?
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
Ninja Squid
NinjaSquid
SW-0877-7455-5004
ADT, 2PM-11PM usually works for me

Waluigi Time
WT
SW-4223-0648-3321
CDT, 11am-9pm should usually work for me with a few exceptions
Team: Rogueport Rogues
Anytime between 12pm-9pm cdt (2pm-11pm adt)

Last edited:

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Also add Small Battlefield to the stage list
Everyone who has signed up so far has been added to the OP, and I've added Small Battlefield to the allowed stages and removed Spring Stadium from the banned stages list based on feedback.

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
Charlie Brown (Luigi 64DD)
Luigi 64DD
SW-4184-5900-3232
CDT
Really most times between 9am and like 11pm should work, though it depends on the day of the week (e.g. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays in particular I'll only be available parts of the day).

Might also sign up for doubles when I find a partner...

Last edited:

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
I RETURN FOR TEAM SIGNUP

Forum usernames: Charlie Brown (Luigi 64DD) & Mizzlebip (The Pyro Guy)
Switch names: Luigi 64DD & TPG
Friend codes: SW-4184-5900-3232 & SW-5186-2405-5711
Timezone: CDT & whatever timezone "bri'ish" is, availability is presumably same as our singles signups
Team name: The Close Rangers

Because we totally definitely never spam projectiles

Last edited:

Sou Hiyori

miss sara it seems i'm stuck on marioboards.com
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
Singles
Sou Hiyori
turb
SW-1512-5312-3150
Arizona - availability varies thru Mon-Thurs due to work (later evenings are usually free), free most Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays until early August

not sure if Im signing up for dubs atm I'll see what pans out

Shygul

Peace be with you, whoever you are.
Pronouns
He/him
singles
switch username: Shygul
forum username: Shygul
sw friend code: SW-1179-6487-5010
time: Eastern Standard Time (like the zone nyc is in). 12 am - 3:00 am and 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on weekdays. Weekends basically anytime after 11: 30 in the morning works for me.

Ninelevendo

Paint
Pronouns
He/him
1625308141091.png
IT’S DOUBLES TIME

Ninelvendo and fantanoice
Nin11do (SW-5056-6247-9414) and fantanoice (sw-1185-3678-7111)
AEST (UTC+10), generally weekends after 1pm.
POV you're versing Two Users with the Worst Internet Speed using Wi-Fi who pay for a Nintendo Switch Online subscription that does nothing to decrease their Lag but gives them a catalogue of games they already own

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
If you need help with paying for online, I'm certain there are people in this community (myself included) who would be willing to toss some extra dollars towards a family plan

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
About 24 hours remain for folks to sign up for this!

We're looking mostly in the clear here, though it's possible the doubles tourney will need to be shortened by a week if we go into it with only four teams. We'll see if there's anyone else who joins in there.

Otherwise, this should start up tomorrow without a problem. @Charlie Brown It's not a big deal, but if you could get your friend code in here in the next bit to expedite things, that would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up! I hope you enjoy Smashing.

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
forum: Superchao
switch: Superchao
code: SW-1115-1546-9324
timezone: EDT
avaliability: basically whenever someone else needs me around

additionally, i'm going to sign up as a team with turb, as The Worst Most Despicable and Disastrous Duo