Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
for SMB/WT and BLOF/L64DD: seeing as you're both running as a chairperson-vice chairperson ticket, can you give us some insight into how you see this dynamic playing out? do you think you have a good working relationship with your co-candidate? how do you see yourselves functioning in each of your specific roles when you're interacting with each other and the team at large? as an example, perhaps you could also elaborate on how your process dealing with these debate questions looks like i.e. are you consulting with each other on answers before posting, mostly going at them independently, etc etc
I served as the most loyal advisor to my beloved tsar Luigi 64DD when he ruled over Russia, even after it was taken over by Zlathlnathnl. Whenever he asked for A&W, I did my best to supply it, even if it meant I had to trek through his homeland, Kongo Jungle and avoid his 2D Barrel Cannons that have a tendency to spin around and shoot you off the map when you least want it too. Currently, we communicate over Discord as much as we can, even if we don't have the technology yet to send A&W through it. Our goose will be cooked if Discord like suddenly dies one day though, and if it does, I'll PM Luigi 64DD on Marioboards my plans of a resurgence of an giant empire to make our own communication service that will not break down.

Currently, I am going through these questions independently but once our plans have been laid in motion and I become a chair we can further discuss and collab our plans to take over the world.

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
for The Shadow Prince: you're the only candidate as of yet who has no running partner, so instead of answering the above question, i'd like to know what are your reasons for running solo instead of coordinating with someone else from the get-go? Your campaign seems to imply that you will still pick a vice-chairperson if you are elected, so I'm curious to what your thought process is here.
Ah good question, that symbolizes that I am my own candidate and that anyone who wants to be my vice chairperson can say so, and I can look at their records in terms of who seems to have the best ideas and lack of having major consistent incidents. Since this campaign’s theme is a theme of not being biased, this symbolizes that anyone has a chance who would want to be my vice chairperson instead of me already having a preference

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Ok, question to all running canadates: what are your plans on cooperation with the `Shroom? Will you be making custom sections using your polls as a baseline, or are you going to use them as advertising, and if so, in what ways and when should we expect these changes to take effect?
Aside from continuing the Poll Committee Discussion, we do have several potential ideas for expanding our collaboration with The 'Shroom that you can read in our campaign goals here. I would assume you can expect to see these changes not too much longer after the new committee is assembled, but we would have to settle on which ideas we're specifically going to go for first and do the necessary preparations. We most likely won't be doing all of them but we would like to at least expand on our collaboration with The 'Shroom in some way.

To everyone: If something goes horribly wrong, what do you believe is the best strategy to fix it?
Well that would depend on what's going horribly wrong, worst case scenario I can think of is someone going completely inactive or having behavior that would necessitate their removal from the committee. In the case of inactivity, I think the best strategy to tackle it would be to contact them as soon as possible. If they don't respond then eventually they would have to be removed from the committee and replaced, using similar strategies to how we initially attracted users to the committee to find a replacement. Until they return or are replaced I would be personally willing to pick up the slack in the meantime rather than unexpectedly dumping extra work on other committee members. If the user is problematic enough to warrant removal, basically the same process but with immediate removal.

The only other issue I could see coming up would be a technical issue with the polls themselves, in which case the best course of action would be to contact Porple ASAP, since I'm assuming he deals with that, and if not he'd be able to point us to who does.

for SMB/WT and BLOF/L64DD: seeing as you're both running as a chairperson-vice chairperson ticket, can you give us some insight into how you see this dynamic playing out? do you think you have a good working relationship with your co-candidate? how do you see yourselves functioning in each of your specific roles when you're interacting with each other and the team at large? as an example, perhaps you could also elaborate on how your process dealing with these debate questions looks like i.e. are you consulting with each other on answers before posting, mostly going at them independently, etc etc
I have a really good feeling about the dynamic between me and SMB. His experience in previous Poll Committees balances out me not being on any of them which is why I was comfortable agreeing to be his Vice-Chairperson in the first place. I've really enjoyed interacting with him and working with him on this campaign so far and I think we'll make a great team. If we are elected then I plan to frequently keep in touch with not only SMB but also the rest of the committee members to make sure what needs to be done is getting done, to find out if there's anything I can help with, and to check in with the members to make sure they're not experiencing burnout or anything like that. For your example specifically, we've been answering the questions here independently so far but from what I've seen we seem to be on the same page with everything, so we already have similar approaches to how we want to deal with running the committee which I think is a very good thing.

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Now, here's a question that is importiant: will you try to make the polls more in line with the general audience, or will you mix in some polls that really only the community would understand?
Since the polls are displayed on the main page of the wiki it's important that they're as accessible as possible. That includes putting in as many options as possible to cover everyone who would be responding to it, even if it's something as simple as "I don't know" or "I have no opinion". I don't think anyone should be unable to participate in a poll just because they don't have any strong feelings or don't know enough about the topic.

So no, I don't think creating polls that you have to be part of the relatively small percentage of users who interacts with the community through venues like the Boards or The 'Shroom to understand would be a good idea. The polls regularly bring in anywhere between 1,000 to 3,000 voters so we would be alienating literally thousands of voters by doing that.

That's not to say we can't or won't do polls on more goofy, lighthearted topics, that's actually one of our campaign goals to try and incorporate more of that. But they should be kept to a point where you don't have to be one of a handful of users who's in on the joke to even understand the poll.

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
To everyone: If something goes horribly wrong, what do you believe is the best strategy to fix it?
Well, I think the first thing to do is take a step back and calmly and rationally assess what it is causing the issue and search for ways to fix it as quickly and with as little damage as possible. Consider what is causing the problem not in order to find someone to blame but to find out what needs to be done to get to a solution. Then use whatever available resources are necessary to reach a solution. If this involves contacting others in the community who may have access to things you don't, then do so. Ultimately, work together to make sure the problem is solved as soon and as well as possible. As chairpersons, the buck of the poll committee would stop with us, so we will take responsibility for any major problems that may end up happening. That being said, we will be firm with those who intentionally break rules or cause issues in order to ensure the Poll Committee is a positive and productive environment for everyone.

As you can likely tell from BLOF's answer, BLOF and I have a good dynamic with each other on a personal friendly level. Of course, the area of work relationship is a bit of a different dynamic, but I'm confident we will work great in this regard as well. We will communicate over Discord and any other appropriate platforms in order to discuss Committee matters and make decisions on them. BLOF will ultimately be the final decision-maker and the main one in charge, but I will provide my well-thought-out input and do everything I can to help with her work as chairperson. I'm certainly willing to defer to her in situations where we disagree, but for her part I know she will fairly take my input into account in her decision.

As for specific roles, I think I can already foresee a bit of how our dynamic will play out in the committee just from this debate! BLOF is straight to the point and is willing to make firm decisions. She knows that too much hemming and hawing can be detrimental to making decisions, so once she surveys all the relevant factors, she comes to a decision firmly and in good time. I think this will help her guide the committee as a strong chairperson. On my part, I tend to think deeply on a question or problem that comes up and try to analyze it from multiple angles in order to come to a complete and in-depth answer. I may take longer to think it through, but once it comes through it is guaranteed to have a lot of substance and depth to it. Not to speak for others, but I think some of my coworkers from the 11th committee can attest to that. Thus, our dynamic in practice will likely involve me giving my in-depth opinions to BLOF and defering to her to make the final call. She will in turn examine the factors taking my input into account and come to a firm and effective decision of her own. I think if you look closely at our responses in this debate, you can already see this relationship in action despite us answering these questions largely independently. Despite this independence, our answers align quite well, and I think that's a great sign for our working relationship.

Now, here's a question that is importiant: will you try to make the polls more in line with the general audience, or will you mix in some polls that really only the community would understand?
At this stage, my first instinct is to say that we will try to mostly stick with polls that relate to the general audience, at least at first. That is what past committees have almost always done, and considering many of our voters are likely not involved in the deeper community, it's better to give them polls that they can understand and answer. Like if we ask them a question about a community in-joke like "do you support Big Change's AI supremacy", most voters are not gonna have the slightest clue what we're talking about. That doesn't make for an effective poll. However, a type of community poll I would be more likely to consider is a feedback poll, like asking voters their general impression of the 'Shroom or even of the polls we generally put on the front page. These will likely not get as many voters as our usual polls, but it can give us valuable information on what works and what we might need to change. I think this practice has precedent in past committees, so it's definitely something I'm going to consider.

Also, how do I actually vote?
This might not be as much directed to me, but you vote by going to the talk page of this page and, after reading all the rules, editing your wiki username under the "Votes" section of the campaign of your choice. You are also encouraged to include your reasoning for the vote next to it. Hooded Pitohui is in charge of the election, so I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
No, like, how do I cast my vote, like, on the discution page?
On the talk page, find the "Votes" section for the ticket or candidate you would like to vote for, and then add
Code:
#{{User|Kirbyo}} - [REASONING]
You don't have to add any reason if you don't want to, so you can just leave it at the part before the dash, if you would like.

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
On the talk page, find the "Votes" section for the ticket or candidate you would like to vote for, and then add
Code:
#{{User|Kirbyo}} - [REASONING]
You don't have to add any reason if you don't want to, so you can just leave it at the part before the dash, if you would like.
Thanks! Now, I'm leaning twoards one canadate, but the other one seems pretty good too... can I change my vote later if I change my mind?

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
The Election Page said:
8. Voters may change their vote at any time during the course of the election.
You may! Any user can change their vote at any time during the election (remember to strikethrough your old vote if you change it, though.)

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
MarioWiki
Super Mario Bros.
A lot of posts have accumulated since I last responded here, so in the interest of preventing a lot of rehashing, I'll start by saying that Waluigi Time has articulated our campaign's ideas succinctly. My responses will expound in some areas.

Ok, question to all running canadates: what are your plans on cooperation with the `Shroom? Will you be making custom sections using your polls as a baseline, or are you going to use them as advertising, and if so, in what ways and when should we expect these changes to take effect?
Our idea is to work together with the Poll Committee to see if any ideas for a collaboration with The 'Shroom seem tenable and fun. The custom sections with polls as a baseline will also serve as an indirect form of advertisement - that is, these projects might grab readers' attention and make them more interested in what we do.

The timeline for this will be decided purely by those who join the Poll Committee. Seeing as it will be a collaborative effort, it is important that everybody have the energy and willpower to work on it. Would it be wise to start this sort of thing right when Awards Analysis is around the corner or if we're going to coordinate a community survey? Perhaps not, unless the committee makes it a point to delegate aspects of these projects (i.e., while a group of members begin writing a narrative for a 'Shroom section, I reach out to different staff departments to begin brainstorming for a community survey).

The bottom line is that this should be enjoyable, not a chore. If it seems to be headed in that territory, we will reassess.

The best strategy is to be flexible and adapt to the circumstance: sometimes when something goes wrong, it is temporary; other times it is permanent and will require a creative workaround.

To add to what Waluigi Time stated, the very first thing to do if a member is inactive or out of line is to simply reach out and ask, "Hey, is everything okay?" Sometimes things might be going on that we are unaware of, and it is essential for the leadership of the committee to assume good faith and try to be a support for the members. Even if the person does not want to talk about things at that moment, it is important to establish that there is that line of communication should they ever want to open up.

I'm excited to form this partnership with Waluigi Time, and, no matter the result of the election, I would love stay in touch and develop a stronger bond. I respect his work on the wiki and in The 'Shroom as well as his ability to connect with people in the community. I also think he would have made a strong candidate for Chairperson, but as he mentioned before, he had some reservations on jumping straight up to that position.

Perhaps this seems a bit trivial, but it isn't to me: I also find a personal connection to his experience in this election. When I first ran for 'Shroom Director in 2009, I started off with a joke campaign (...though it was certainly not as good as WT's admittedly!). After receiving encouragement from others, I decided to turn the ship and come up with serious ideas for running that project. I lost that year, but managed to pull in a strong second-place showing; after that, I went on to win three consecutive 'Shroom elections and had the honor to lead a team that made great impacts on the newsletter. No matter what happens this year, it is my hope that Waluigi Time will seek an active role in this year's committee and consider running for Chairperson next year because, as Gabumon mentioned on the wiki, he has what it takes to really do wonders with this project.

Otherwise, I agree with everything Waluigi Time said earlier: with my experience and his energy and creativity, I think we can make this an extremely exciting year for the Poll Committee, and the fact that we are running a cohesive campaign now I think speaks to the potential that our partnership has.

The polls should always resonate with those who are voting. Community in-jokes can inspire ideas for polls (i.e. asking members about Nintendo cereals), but they shouldn't run roughshod over our primary responsibility to engage all voters.

Last edited:

Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Considering that the polls are directed towards visitors and that the majority of the voters will be from the general audience, there is little pay-off for polls that are community-focused. If you want answers from the community, you're really better off creating topics on this forum that ask the same question, or using our Poll Talk topic here on the boards.

Like, there were several times where we asked Main Page voters about the Awards. The vast majority of them don't even know what it is.

1624995589874.png

1624995613973.png

Redktan the Robeless

Happy liquid pool
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
A few days later I'll talk about toppings
Favorites;
1. Red Pepper- Adds some spice and zest.
2. Sausage-Makes the pizza more filling
3. Pepperoni-Obvious choice, but it tastes so good on pizza

Least favorites
1. Olives- Feels yucky on pizza
2. Mushrooms- I like most other toppings more
3. Onion- Like mushroom: not horrible, I just like most other toppings more.

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Hello, Poll Committee Chairperson candidates! I hope everyone involved in this election is doing well. Now that we're approximately a week away from the end of this election at , I wanted to take a moment to reach out to all of you about the Poll Chairperson Address.

@Super Mario Bros. @Mr. Krupp @Ultra Violet

Traditionally, the incoming Poll Chairperson has introduced their self and kicked off their term by writing a Poll Chairperson Address to include in the release of The 'Shroom when they're elected. This has taken different forms over the years, but in recent years, these have been used, basically, as a way to:

-Introduce yourself (and your Vice-Chair) to the community and make sure folks know who to come to for PC-related matters
-Get an early start on assembling the new Poll Committee by announcing the opening of applications and telling folks when they should have applications in and where to send them.

You may use the address however you feel is appropriate. You don't have to do those things, and you aren't limited to just those things if there's something else you really want to do. But, personally, I'd recommend taking a cue from the last three and keeping it short and sweet.

If you would like to write a Poll Chairperson Address and have it appear in the July issue of The 'Shroom, please write it up and send it to me and Roserade before Friday, July 16th. We'll keep them on hand and make sure the winner's address gets published in the issue. Hopefully a week's notice gives everyone ample time to work a little time into their schedules to write this.

Thank you all! And thanks to everyone who has taken part in this election so far!

Hooded Pitohui

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
The 2021 Poll Committee Chairperson election is now over.

Congratulations, Baby Luigi and Luigi 64DD, for becoming the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson, of the incoming Twelfth Poll Committee. We wish you two the best! Get in there and make some great polls for the Main Page!

Thanks to everyone who participated in the election this year! Please, if this has sparked your interest, do consider supporting these two by applying for the Poll Committee when they open applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.