Marioboards Retro Video Game Tourney (on hold for now)

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Hey there everyone! I think I'm fairly well known on the boards by now, and I thought why not host a retro video game awards tourney? So, let's dive into the rules.

1. In each round of the tourney, everyone will be playing the same videogame. The games selected will be Nintendo NES and SNES games. You will need some way to take pictures/screenshots of your game.
  2. To play the game, you can use 3DS Virtual Console, ports, NSO, or any other way you can find. I won't take a stand in whether you do this illegally or not, it's completely up to you, but don't announce or discuss illegally shared games and sites on the boards. That's against the rules and I'll probably be held responsible
  3. Each round's challenge will revolve around doing the most you can in a limited amount of time- 30 minutes to 2 hours, with the time increasing by intervals of 15 minutes each round. Collecting as many coins as possible, getting the highest total score, or catching as many pokemon as you can could be among your challenges. Use a timer or stopwatch to record your time.
  4. You will need to have a singular block of time carved out for this, and each participant should PM me before they intend on starting the challenge, and again when the allotted time has passed. Show me a picture proving your results, which could be a coin counter or pc box, among other things. This will normally be specified when the challenge is announced.
  5. The tournament will have 8 rounds, and each one will last 4 days, with a 1 day break in between. You'll have to play the game sometime within those 4 days.
  6. At the end of each round, the players with the lowest scores will be eliminated/removed. The number of players eliminated will start at 3 but decrease as the pool of participants starts to dwindle.
  7. We will be playing the following games in the tournament, so make sure you have access to them: Super Mario Bros (NES), Super Mario Kart (SNES), Legend of Zelda (NES), Mega Man 2 (NES), Any Pokemon game, Yoshi's Island (SNES), Super Mario RPG (SNES), and Super Mario World.
  8. The usage of cheats/glitches are not allowed and if you are discovered using them, you will be disqualified.

When signing up, please provide the following information:
  • Username (your more commonly used one if it doesn't match your current one)
  • A game console to represent you in the tournament
  • If you plan on using Nintendo Switch Online or the 3DS Virtual Console.

If we get at least 14 sign-ups before the scheduled starting date, July 12th, then we can proceed with the tourney. Otherwise, it will not have sufficient interest to be held, and will have to be cancelled. The sign-up cap is 22 in order to avoid a large number of rounds or people eliminated per round, but even after that limit is reached you will still be able to sign up as a replacement.

1. Kirbyo on the SNES
  2. Fantanoice on the Ouya
  3. L64DD on the N64
Replacements:

Last edited:

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
If Wario's Woods is in the tourney, then I might as well!
  • Kirbyo
  • EDT
  • SNES
  • I have a Switch and a 3DS
  • I have Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury, Super Mario Oddysse, Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Party, all three Luigi's Mansion's with the original being the 3DS remake, Pokemon Sword, Pokemon Ultra Sun, Mario Maker 2, and Minecraft (and posibly New Super Mario Bros U).

Last edited:

Marge Simpson

I can see through time
Pronouns
She/her
I would love a Wario's Woods tournament

- fantanoice
- UTC +10 / Aus EST
- Ouya (or if Nintendo then N64)
- All
New Super Mario Bros U (wiiu)
Super Mario 3D World (wiiu)
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario 3D All-Stars
Mariokart 8 (both)
Luigi's Mansion 2
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (not sure where it is)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pokemon Sword/Shield
Pokemon Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Mario Maker 2
Stardew Valley
Minecraft (Java)

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
Sure why not

Luigi 64DD
CDT
Nintendo 64DD :diddy:
All of 'em

New Super Mario Bros DS
New Super Mario Bros 2
New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario 3D All-Stars
Mario Kart 8 (both versions)
Super Mario Party
Splatoon 2
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Maker 2
Technically have the LM games and Pokemon Sword but haven't actually played them so eh

Molly Hale

Princess of the Crystal Tower
Pronouns
She/her
User: Toadettefan
Time: UTC Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Systems: Switch, 3DS
Games: 3D World + Bowser's Fury (I will use either Toad or Peach since I'm only at the 5th world), 3D All Stars, Super Mario Odyssey, NSMBUDX (I'll be using Toadette if we do this one), Pokemon Moon (Team: Primarina, Hariyama, Butterfree, Ledian, Toucannon, Alolan Raichu), Pokemon Shield (Team: Cinderace, Inteleon, Tsareena, Corviknight, Thievul, Orbeetle), Super Mario Party (I will most likely use Bowser Jr. if this is one of the games)
P.S. I don't like the idea of Nuzlockes, so can you consider doing online battles instead? (This is because I've never done a nuzlocke, and will potentially lose all my save data and nicknamed pokemon if I do start over).
P.S.S. Also, Will you be providing NSO to those who do not have it?

Last edited:

Marge Simpson

I can see through time
Pronouns
She/her
P.S. I don't like the idea of Nuzlockes, so can you consider doing online battles instead? (This is because I've never done a nuzlocke, and will potentially lose all my save data and nicknamed pokemon if I do start over).
For the switch games you can make a new profile and play a new save file

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
P.S.S. Also, Will you be providing NSO to those who do not have it?
I think if I do a nuzlocke it will be on older games that are emulated, and therefore no loss of data will occur.
Also, I don't have NSO myself (assuming that stands for Nintendo Switch Online) so I don't think I'll be able to provide that.

Gabumon

Warlock of Hatsune Miku
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
I feel like the scope of this tournament might be a bit too broad to attract many participants. The large pool of games makes the whole thing seem kind of unfocused. Additionally, you will be hard-pressed to find 14 people with an exact overlap of these games (and people can't just skip a round if they don't own the particular game of the week, as that will disqualify them).

It might be a good idea to refocus and narrow down the scope to just a few games, or alternatively relax the rules a bit so that people can more easily hop in/drop out depending on what games they own.

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Ok, I feel like duals, like in the Scribble Deathmatch, in combination with the way to submit results in the Mario Kart Time Trial tournament, will be the best aproach. Basically, two people with the same game are given the same goal, forming pairs. Then, people submit their results via PM, and can submit as many results as they want, with the best result being counted. Then, after a week, the winners of each category are announced, with the losers being eliminated. This proccess repeats until one person stands victorious. If there's an odd number of players during any round, then one of them gets the round off. So if we had 14 players, it would be 14 -> 7 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1, with a person needing to sit out only once. What do you think?

Last edited:

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
I feel like the scope of this tournament might be a bit too broad to attract many participants. The large pool of games makes the whole thing seem kind of unfocused. Additionally, you will be hard-pressed to find 14 people with an exact overlap of these games (and people can't just skip a round if they don't own the particular game of the week, as that will disqualify them).

It might be a good idea to refocus and narrow down the scope to just a few games, or alternatively relax the rules a bit so that people can more easily hop in/drop out depending on what games they own.
I understand
BUT CLEARLY YOU DIDN'T READ THIS
Due to accessibility issues with newer games, most of the games we will be playing in the tournament will be NES and GBA-era games that can be easily emulated online, without even requiring the download of illegal content.
I asked for game information so that IF everyone had the same game we could include a newer one but that seems to be causing too many problems.
So I'll try to fix some stuff.

Gabumon

Warlock of Hatsune Miku
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Ok, I feel like duals, like in the Scribble Deathmatch, in combination with the way to submit results in the Mario Kart Time Trial tournament, will be the best aproach. Basically, two people with the same game are given the same goal, forming pairs. Then, people submit their results via PM, and can submit as many results as they want, with the best result being counted. Then, after a week, the winners of each category are announced, with the losers being eliminated. This proccess repeats until one person stands victorious. If there's an odd number of players at any point, then one of them gets a round off. so if we had 14 players, it would be 14 -> 7 -> 4 -> 2 -> 1, with a person needing to sit out only once. What do you think?

But what if you end up with two people in the finale that don't both own the same game?

A question that should be asked is: Is elimination really necessary here? You could just score each round individually.

I understand
BUT CLEARLY YOU DIDN'T READ THIS

I asked for game information so that IF everyone had the same game we could include a newer one but that seems to be causing too many problems.
So I'll try to fix some stuff.
I did read it, thanks for assuming, but I fail to see how this adequately addresses the concerns I brought up.

The tournament is still filled with an enormous and mostly incoherent list of games, the rules are still counter to what the overall scope seems to be going for, as they place importance on individual game load-outs while simultaneously threatening disqualification for falling outside of the standard (that's a contradiction), and there still appears to be an enormous lack of focus.

Anyway, was just here to give some feedback and help you get through the apparent lack of interest. If you think you can make changes and turn it around, go for it. But the rest is up to you.

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
But what if you end up with two people in the finale that don't both own the same game?

A question that should be asked is: Is elimination really necessary here? You could just score each round individually.
Well, if we end up with two people that own the same game, we just have them play a game that literaly anyone can play in one form or another, I'm thinking Super Mario Bros. Also, I think that the best method is either robin round matches or elimination matches, but I'll let Blathers choose which to do.

Ninelevendo

Paint
Pronouns
He/him
Ok so I can see that there is some interest in a retro-themed tournament, however as has been said earlier, there is not a lot of focus here. As someone who’s sort of interested participating myself, I’d like to give a few pointers to see if you can turn this into something a bit more competent.

1. Be specific about the rules. Don’t give us a “oh maybe the deadline will be 2 days or a week I don’t know”, think through the options and make a firm decision as to what you think works best.
2. Similar to the above point, give us an exact list of games that will be played. NES to GBA covers literally thousands of games, many of which I wouldn't be interested in. Start by working out specific types of games that people will generally like. Considering that you’re on a Mario forum, try limiting your game selection to mostly Mario games.
3. If we’re playing multiple games, make the goals simple and not overly time-consuming. You’ve sort of done this already but there needs to be a more definitive goal. Maybe try focusing on high scores more than anything else, no one is really going to want to play a whole nuzlocke or speed run just for one round in a small tournament. Likewise, make the goals similar to each other so that the tourney has a general sense of improving on the same kind of skill.
4. Is this a score tournament or a player vs player tournament? These two things are so different that you can’t just switch it up between rounds and expect everyone to be happy with it. If you’re focusing on old games with high scores, there’s no reason to get people’s time zone, and eliminating people seems kind of pointless.
5. I was going to suggest getting rid of the new games, but it seems that you’ve already done that.

Here are quick some examples for what I would do if I were to host something like this:
Round 1: Dr. Mario (NES) - Clear X stage on X difficulty in the fastest time possible.
Round 2: Donkey Kong ‘94 (GB) - Get the highest score that you can on stage 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 and 1-4.
Round 3: Super Mario Kart (SNES) - Complete a time trial of Donut Plains 1 with the lowest time possible.

You don’t have to stick to everything that I’ve said exactly, but if you’re able to create a detailed enough post with rules, guidelines, etc., then maybe you’ll get some more interest when it’s obvious that you’ve got a clear vision for the tournament. You’ve got a good idea here, you just need to add some polish. If you clean this tournament idea up enough, then maybe I’ll even consider signing up. But for now, if you want this to happen, you’ve got some work to do.

Sonic In Spain

im the bad guy now lol
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
Out of all of the games on Nintendo Switch Online, the 3DS eShop, and the Wii U virtual console, this is my personal list that I think could help you and others participate without downloading ROMs.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U, 3DS): Beat all Boom Boom bosses as fast as possible.
- Super Mario Kart (Nintendo Switch): Complete Mario Circuit 1 as fast as possible.
- Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon (Nintendo Switch): Beat Lakitu as fast as possible.
- Yoshi's Island (Nintendo Switch): Beat Burt The Bashful as fast as possible.
- Donkey Kong (Nintendo Switch): Beat the game as fast as possible.

Last edited: