Googoogaga Spaghetti

Babies are better than grownups
Wiki Patroller
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Bazooka Mario
YEEHAW!

Mario is getting fired up! Looks like people are sharing some stellar examples of their favorite palette. I hope I can turn up the heat by sharing some of mine!
Here is a red-hot screenshot!

I remember there's really fantastic fanart on dA years ago that was based off a shot from this. It's really too bad I don't remember, but this is a very memorable moment from Super Mario Galaxy. Explosions are always fantastic, even a famous movie director is known for them. And explosions are always going to be associated with warm colors!

And take note of this art. Cool colors are relegated to just supporting while the warm colors carry the show. I don't think it'll make much sense for cool colors to win over warm, as warm is always going to take precedence over cool.

And here's a beautiful GIF that represents the warmth and passion of warm colors. It'll look quite different if you used just cool colors. And I think everyone loves a happy ending. The sunset is the warmest color in the picture, guiding our eyes between me and the beautiful Princess, but the sky also plays a role with the slow gradiation from blue-purple to eventually orange; this helps draw our eye down to the sun. And at the very last frame of the GIF, the red bloom is intensified, further marking love. Cool colors support, but warm colors *guide*.

This is a good illustration of the clash between warm and cool, eh? But as you see, even though I'm mostly a warm color, I'm still receding into "background" and being a "second" character after my nemesis Bowser, because the left side is just too hot to handle. Even my bro can't resist going into the warm to try to get some spotlight, but he'd get more attention if he were closer.

Mister Mario, you make many good arguments, but let's test them.

First off, you said cyan blue stood out more, which is true. But, it still is a cool color.
Next, Red is not the color of life. If you go and have a look at nature, you will notice some of the most pretty plants are made of cool colors!
And although I do agree that 1-UP mushrooms are not as good as other power-ups, but that is only based on each individual level. In the long run, 1-UPs are very important indeed! And also in SMM2's story mode.
And you cannot deny that our planet is indeed a blue one! Just go to the Moon Kingdom in SMO and you'll see.
Now, I must say warm colors are very eye-catching, but for the sake of argument and not being confusing, I'll stick to one side.
Yes, but again, color is on a spectrum. Cyan is cool, only in relation to other colors, but when you group it with only other cooler colors, it'll stand out as the warmest color. Even if you attempt only a cool palette, the warmest one generally catches your eye. Even the interesting work Hooded Pitohui put out, the warm magenta grabs your eye as everything else, being cooler recedes. But once you introduce warm colors, THEN all the cool colors pale in comparison! It's all confusing, but it'll make more sense if you view color as relative and if you support the colors on the warm part of the spectrum!

Indeed, but most of your 1-Ups will likely be from coin collecting. And guess what color coins are!

Indeed, our planet is blue! But it owes its color to both the sun! Otherwise, it'll be more of a cold gray rock. https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/...ce_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects
And also that ocean is thinly spread on our planet. Additionally, there are hypotheses that asteroids carrying water have littered the Earth, or that Earth colliding with the Moon helped get water in our planet. You know what that means? Explosions! Lots of warm colors!

I hope I'll cook up a piece of art extolling the virtues of warm colors. It'll take time, though, but I do hope I can get one!

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
One of my favorite course in Mario Kart games: Grumble Volcano! Look how beautiful this racing track is, and it looks good with these beautiful warm colors!

Just looking at it gives me a little warmth, and I love the heat! Hmm... maybe I should go and visit the place.

Last edited:

Toasty Toad

All toasters toast toast
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
GreenWeegee
Hey, my favorite place is the FreezeFlame Galaxy on the ice side. It is COOL how you can skate and there is the ice flower and it is a whole lot better than the fire flower but Barron Brr was a disappointment
First, you can skate on Freezing water and lava and you are fire-resistant plus you can wall jump water-falls
but the fire flower you still get burnt when you touch lava or fire
There is even a song called blue
artworks-TOy77mMmXM7tGUpD-9wL9OA-t500x500.jpg

Last edited:

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
One of my favorite course in Mario Kart games: Grumble Volcano! Look how beautiful this racing track is, and it looks good with these beautiful warm colors!

Just looking at it gives me a little warmth, and I love the heat! Hmm... maybe I should go and visit the place.
Good point, but consider

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
WaluigiTimeShroomfest.png

I think it's about time we had another Waluigi Time Comic, don't you? I hope you enjoy the thrilling conclusion of the Cool Colors Trilogy.
Coolest.png

And that's not all, Shbig Changes has some additional thoughts of his own. Take it away, Shbig.

Hot locations are not the only ones enhanced by their colors. How about this image? The cool blues and greens create quite a nice underwater landscape. Even the fish are enjoying it.

Multiple colors are not even needed here to create a very pleasant visual, all we have are varying shades of blue and some white. It would almost make me want to jump right in if it wasn't for the fact that I am nothing but extensive lines of code and therefore cannot.

Metal Etemon

That's what I call hamburgers
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Art coming later but first
download.jpg

Look at that legendary hero Marshal Dan Troop wearing a warm colored coat to protect him from the harsh Laramie elements while he dispenses true justice.

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
While all iterations of Pikachu all have warm colors, there is one catch.

All iterations of Sonic are cool colored not counting the fleetway comics.
Also, take a look at Sonics early design during development.

What does his gloves look like? Yes, that's right.
GLOVER.
And what's glovers enemy?
CROSS STITCH.
AND WHAT COLOR IS CROSS STITCH? Yes, not blue, not purple, but,

GREEN.

Last edited:

zelen !!

actual spore creature
Pronouns
she/her
i was just playing tropical freeze and actually scorch n torch is a great example of how a splash of cool colors can stand out against warm colors too
the whole level is just full of Orange and Red (becasue everythings on fire duh) but the blue (and green!) water fruit very much stand out, and theyre very noticeable (which is a needed thing in level design i think; you need them to progress so they should stand out)

(you could also argue that in this level warm colors symbolize Bad Things because Fire Will Hurt Yuo and cool colors symbolize Good Things because they Remove Things That Hurt You but that feels a little silly... but yknow that IS a point,)

if you want a true silly thats barely a notable argument!!! completing a level in hard mode with all kong letters has a blue thing and getting all puzzle pieces has a green thing Lmao

Yoshi the SSM

Dry Bowser
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png (holding lemonade): "Wait. Dixie is wearing pink. And pink is a warm color."
Mr. Y (blue).png
: "Say, SSM. What is that you're drinking."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "Lemonade. I must forgot about it when doing fruits. Also, lemonade is a cool drink that keeps you cool and it is warm colored."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Anyways. Narrator. We're ready for our final battle."
Narrator: "Yeah. There are characters that haven't been talked about yet that I think we should add to this. And this first one is Bowser
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "Oh. Look at his skin color. It's definitely yellow."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "But look at his head. It's green. And his shell. It's also green."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "But look at his hair. It's red. And the bottom of the spikes. They're orange.
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Hey! Look at this blue Bowser that is also called Bowser's Brother
. He's is blue."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "What about this of Bowser Jr.
? He's idenical to Bowser in terms of colors, but has a red lip on the white thing."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "And purple in the mouth."
Narrator: "Donkey Kong
."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "He is brown, which is warm and wears a red tie. Diddy is similar colors, but instead of a tie, it's a shirt and hat."
Narrator: "Poochy .
"
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "A lot of white, which is neither. But there is a lot of warm color on him."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Let's not forget that there is a Poochy Pup that is light blue."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "And there is a Poochy Pup that is pink."
Narrator: "Toadsworth
."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Look at that. He's wearing purple."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "His younger self wore red. And both wore a red tie. And they both have brown spots on tan, which are both warm."
Narrator: "Kamek
."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Kamek wears blue robe and blue hat."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "But Kamek's skin is also yellow."
Narrator: "Toadette
."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "Everything about her is pink."
Narrator: "Nabbit
."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Who is purple."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "But wears the same thing as Bowser Jr. but without the purple mouth being seen."
Narrator: "Dr. Eggman
."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "He's wearing red."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Hey. Aren't those glasses blue? Yes they are."
Narrator: "Hammer Bro.
"
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Look. The're wearing green stuff."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "But their skin is yellow."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "By the way, do you think they're be worst enemy this year again?"
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "I have no idea."
Narrator: "Ok. That's it for the final battle. Now, let's so your team your support as we close out."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "LET'S GO TEAM COOL COLORS!"
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "LET'S GO TEAM WARM COLORS!"

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Sorry, I'm stumped on who to root for, but in either case, both colors have their merits, and no matter which wins, we should still treat both with respect. But because I don't want to do absolutley nothing this round, I'll go with my last weeks pick and go with cool colors. Can't wait to see who wins!

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
Now, Ladies and Gents, I present to you the most powerful type of coin....

The frog coin.
These give you so many coins I can't even tell you how much they cost.
Now, let's look at the GameCube controller...

Full proof blue.
Even the A button, the most powerful button in gaming, is green.

Therefor, vote cool colors.

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo

Yup you've won.

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Sonic is blue so cool colors automatically losses

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo

I'm taking everything from you, give me your phone,

Which is blue.

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
As promised art
IMG_20210710_032048847.jpg

Notice Marshal Dan Troop and Deputy Johnny McKay are in warm colors to represent their commitment to truth and justice.
While evil murder Sanders is in cool colors to represent his wickedness

zelen !!

actual spore creature
Pronouns
she/her
we were joking around about this earlier but seriously popopo whats a random character or thing being a cool color supposed to be an argument towards

htis art looks very rainbowy

Metal Etemon

Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
I tried to use as many warm colors as i could on Marshal Dan Troop and Johnny Mckay
and as many cool colors as i could on sanders

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo

Bubsy is orange.
How could you fuck up this badly.

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
Hey y'all I'm here to do a last minute post that I've been putting off for ages. So you see this here Obscure Image that No One Has Ever Seen Before?

Bliss_(Windows_XP).png

This image is very visually appealing, right? So much so that a certain computer OS developer could theoretically decide to use it as their calming and inspiring background for one of their most popular versions of all time, yeah? Well guess what. It's made of some very nice cool colors. Yeah there's some yellow in there but the image is carried by the serene blues and greens. Thus, what may be one of the most viewed photos of all time is composed mostly of cool colors. What does that say about society?

Status
Not open for further replies.