'Shroomfest (Round 5) - WARM COLORS vs COOL COLORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booguette

PECK!
BBE23CA2-B820-4AF7-9490-F4CDC21D113B.jpeg
Business Yoshi: Paints! Cool color paints right here! Paints!
AF643130-388E-44F8-8E1B-471B7AA60C2F.jpeg
Business Yoshi: Oh hello Booguette. Want some paints?
B38F8826-57E1-4CD7-A9DE-742AE77BC1D1.jpeg
Booguette: Paints? First it was power-ups, then insurance, then tacos, and now PAINTS? How many businesses do you plan to have? And why cool color paints?
E5E5494C-65C4-40E4-B2C0-8D1611480C6B.jpeg
Business Yoshi: Because the new shroomfest is cool colors vs warm colors and now Superchao's paints only sell warm colors. And Waluigi Time needs somewhere to buy his purple!
Booguette: Then why do you have a magenta roof?
Business Yoshi: ........um......Because when I painted it I only had blue and green and it's hard to make your own purple. Anyway...
Business Yoshi: Would you like to try out our newest color, Weegee Green?
Booguette: No, and WT's going to destroy you If you don't make Waluigi Purple a color.

Attachments

ENA

GOD RACE
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade
JUDGE'S SESSION #2

It looks like warm colors and cool colors are really blurring and colliding now! What exciting points have been made this week? Let's find out!

As the question for you all last week, I posed the challenge of finding examples of color symbolism, what it means, and how it supports your cause. As such, that'll be the focus of this judging session. Without further ado, here's this week's top points!

• Green and blue are colors associated with nature, specifically with plants and the oceans. I won't make the appeal to nature here and act as though "natural" is better, but, we can agree that nature is pretty calming, right? Calm, relaxed, giving you the chance to think, that's nature, tied up in the greens of the land and the blues of the water.
  • But don't think that "calm" and "relaxed" doesn't mean that cool colors can't be powerful and striking!
    • Blue is associated with water and its solid form, ice, which, will tranquil, can also be extremely powerful and threatening. See how hydroelectric plants draw power from water, or how devastating churning ocean waves can be, or how glaciers can carve valleys in the land.
    • Likewise, green is associated with winds, particularly in JRPGs, and winds can range from gentle breezes to winds with the strength to turn wind turbines and generate electricity to hurricane-force winds of destruction.
  • As we discussed previously, violet (purple) is a color associated with prestige, with power and royalty!
  • And if that's not enough, purple is also a color of mystery, a strange, hard-to-pin-down color associated with the mystic, ambiguous, and unnatural.
  • In "elemental" systems, you'll see violet often used to represent poisons - a very strategically-oriented element - or more mystical elements (think, for example, Psychic and Ghost in the Pokémon TCG).
  • And, of course, blue and green are inextricably linked to our image of Earth, our very own home planet. The blue marble, the world of water, this planet so famously called the "pale blue dot," is a world of cool colors. We associate blue with our home for good reason.
All of these points are strong arguments, especially with noting the power that blue, dark green, and dark purple can carry in media. As a Poison-type myself, I have to acknowledge how much I agree with the mystique and strategy that dark purple typically represents.

View attachment 14511: "Good job. Also, as for red. Yes, it stands for blood. But it is actually not a bad thing. Blood is essential for animals and humans. It is what keeps them alive. And then there's yellow. That is the color of the sun that provides light to the world. The moon, the winner of it's thing, is gray and isn't either warm or cool."
The blood argument is a super interesting point! Blood can be seen as a bad thing, but this doesn't always has to be the case. It flows through all of us, after all, and where would magic users that harness blood be without it?

Now we are partaking in a discussion of color symbolism. I assume most of you will know this one. Green is commonly associated with good, while red is commonly associated with bad. I am not discussing morality here. Increases and positive effects are associated with green, while decreases and negative effects are associated with red. Of course, increases are not always a good thing and decreases are not always a bad thing, but typically they are seen as such. Especially when you are dealing with businesses such as Waluigi Time Cereal Incorporated, more sales and more resources are always pleasant outcomes.

On that note, might I add that the color red is also associated with debt? Quite interesting.
Local business advocator Shbig Changes strikes again, this time with an important comparison about the contrast between light green and red! Surely we all want our stocks to increase, right? I know I'm trying to get my stocks up in the recently-risen KamTech company right now...

Pink ribbon:

Pink ribbon is a international symbol for promoting awareness to breast cancer. We are often asked to wear a pink ribbon in October, the Breast Cancer Awareness month. I also took part in an activity helping raising funds for a breast cancer association last year.

Anti-bullying Day:

Originating from my country, the anti-bullying day is a day where people are asked to wear a pink shirt to stand against bullying. The story behind this event started when two students from Nova Scotia bought and distributed 50 pink shirts to students at their school after a ninth grade student at the same school was bullied for wearing a pink t-shirt during their first day in school in 2007. This event end up with the Nova Scotia Premier to proclaim the second thursday of September "Stand Up Against Bullying Day" in recognition with these events. Nowadays, this is recognized in many countries around the world, such as Australia, France, US, and UK.
This is a super poignant example of the symbolism of warm colors. It's impossible for me to think of breast cancer awareness without thinking of the pink ribbon, and isn't that such an important thing to advocate for? Excellent work.

Well, Mr. Edgeworth? Not so one-sided now, is it?
Every example team leader Perch brought forward here is a fantastic one, so I won't single out any individual parts as examples. This is an amazing set of arguments, though, serving as equal parts counterarguments and unique ideas.

Finally, as before, I'd be remissed if I didn't dedicate a portion to looking at the artistic contributions that were put together! Thank you all once again for your work, and for making 'Shroomfest something special!

View attachment 14763
Business Yoshi: Paints! Cool color paints right here! Paints!
View attachment 14764
Business Yoshi: Oh hello Booguette. Want some paints?
View attachment 14765
Booguette: Paints? First it was power-ups, then insurance, then tacos, and now PAINTS? How many businesses do you plan to have? And why cool color paints?
View attachment 14766
Business Yoshi: Because the new shroomfest is cool colors vs warm colors and now Superchao's paints only sell warm colors. And Waluigi Time needs somewhere to buy his purple!
View attachment 14765
Booguette: Then why do you have a magenta roof?
View attachment 14766
Business Yoshi: ........um......Because when I painted it I only had blue and green and it's hard to make your own purple. Anyway...
View attachment 14766
Business Yoshi: Would you like to try out our newest color, Weegee Green?
View attachment 14765
Booguette: No, and WT's going to destroy you If you don't make Waluigi Purple a color.

Onto that time again: the final scoring for the second session! Which team pulled out all the punches and brought forward their best arguments? The answer is:

Winner of Week 1
TEAM WARM COLORS
Congratulations, you earned +3 extra points in the EFFORT category!

Your arguments for your symbolism were plentiful, strong, and came from different individual angles. Keep it up!

Challenge of the Week: This final week will have two components to it! The first is argument-based, and will look at this driving concept: colors for objects. Basically, how do colors enhance and enrich what we see? What beautiful moments and sights, natural or otherwise, are inspired by warm colors or cool colors?

For the other half, it's time to get artsy! A number of you have already taken pen to paper and brought forth some beautiful art, but it's time for the rest of you to join in as well! Create a drawing as simplistic or elaborate as you'd like, directly demonstrating the qualities of the team you've chosen!

'SHROOMFEST DEBATE ROUND 5 - WEEK 3 BEGINS NOW!
Reminder that you can vote once a week on the poll here.​

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him

I see Team Warm Colors received the bonus points this round... No matter, I am sure Cool Colors will be able to take the lead back this week.

Colors enhancing and enriching our visuals, hm? That is a simple task. Take an image of this overcast day, for example. The sky is almost completely obscured here, and everything looks quite dull and dreary. Cool colors and warm colors alike lose much of their appeal.

Now let's take those clouds away. Much better, isn't it? A beautiful blue sky and a vibrant landscape filled with pleasant cool colors.

I also hear we are creating works of art. Mr. Waluigi Time is still hard at work on the final installment of the Cool Colors trilogy of Waluigi Time Comics, but in the meantime, I have created a self-portrait using only cool colors to help the cause.
ShbigChangesBeautifulSelfPortrait.png

Hm... Shbig Changes is well suited for business smarts and debating in 'Shroomfests, but I can't really say the same for his art. Guess I'll have to step in.

WaluigiTimeAndShbigChanges.png

I thought I was handling this 'Shroomfest...

TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME. You handle the debating, I'll take the art from here. Besides, with two topics, it's only fair to have two participants, right?

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
Lets see all you warm color people look at this.
Untitled.png

These Mario enemies all have cool colors on at least 1 part of their body.
Even the fucking Koopa Troopa is green, one of the most important Mario enemies.
Did I mention that Yoshi's have more cool colored variants than warm ones...?
Cool colors are just simply superior.

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
What do we call our planet? We call it the blue planet. And blue is a cool color. Also, what organism can withstand hundreds and thousands of years in the heat, cold, and thunder? Trees. And trees have leaves which give us the oxygen we need to survive. And what color are most leaves? Green, a cool color. So there.
That would mean Green is our way of life, and that is true,
without green trees, how would we even live or be on this forum.

Last edited:

Yoshi the SSM

Dry Bowser
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "Whoo hoo! Team Warm Colors got the second bonus points!"
Mr. Y (blue).png
: "So that means in terms of bonus points, we are equal. Let's see who gets the last bonus points."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "As for the question, "How do colors enhance and enrich what we see?" This kind of question many people take for granted. There are blind people who can't see anything and there are color blind people who can't tell what the colors are. Red and green are virtually identical to them. So what do warm color and cool colors do? Well, for warm colors, they are much more bold."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Hey. Cool colors are more subtle and thus more nighty. But then again, moon won theirs."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "And yet, what color are evil eyes? Red. And villains won theirs, right?"
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Yeah. True. Or a problem in a photo. Anyways. Cool drinks won theirs and cool is cool and had cool colors."
Yoshi the SSM artwork (with orange shoes).png: "And pigs won theirs and they are pink and thus are warm colored."
Mr. Y (blue).png: "Well. That's all we got for now. Stay tune for our final fight coming this week sometime."

Goombuigi

The Luigi-fied Goomba
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
Roserade said:
Basically, how do colors enhance and enrich what we see?
Great question, and one that I will attempt to answer using Mario levels. Let's look at an example:
NSMBU_Painted_Swampland_Screenshot.png

This is Painted Swampland from New Super Mario Bros. U, perhaps one of the most distinct levels in the series in terms of visuals. The level focuses heavily on the color purple, with it being used for the poison and to tint the background. Another color of focus is green, which is used for the pipes, and also for the background. The combination of green and purple creates an exotic feeling (in general I find that green and purple is a good combo to create an alien-like atmosphere), one that is fitting for this unique level, and by extension, the world of Soda Jungle as a whole. After all, Soda Jungle is the world with giant enemies, poison-infested areas, and deep dark woods.

Not convinced by this example? Very well, here's another.
CooliganFields1.jpg

Also from New Super Mario Bros. U, this is Cooligan Fields. Although this is a snow level as opposed to a painting-esque one, unlike other snow levels in the series, this one takes place at night. This is illustrated by a dark blue background, contrasted against the cyan-blue ice platform. The usage of the various shades of blue creates a relaxing effect, as if Mario is on a midnight stroll rather than chasing after Bowser, and the bright color of the ice attracts attention to it, bringing the platform to the foreground.

Here's some other points to bring up for cool colors:
- In Super Mario 64, Blue Coins are the most valuable, being worth five coins each. In comparison, yellow Coins and Red Coins are worth one and two coins respectively.
- 1-Up Mushrooms, which are green, are more valuable than Super Mushrooms, and are more helpful.
- Neo Bowser City, my favorite Mario Kart course, focuses on blue and black, which are contrasted by neon purple signs.

In general, one of the reasons why I prefer cool colors is that I find them to blend in more naturally. I prefer the subtlety of cool colors to the energy of warm colors. I think that cool colors blend in much better with nature, such as with grass, snow, and water.

Toasty Toad

All toasters toast toast
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
GreenWeegee
Hello Everyone to celebrate the theme of Shroomfest hot vs cold
I made Ice Luigi and Fire Mario Sprites from Super Mario World!!!
But here is the twist they are small Mario and Luigi
Feel Free to download
New Piskel clone (1).gif
Let's be honest this is COOL:cheep:

Last edited:

Googoogaga Spaghetti

Babies are better than grownups
Wiki Patroller
Pronouns
she/her
MarioWiki
Bazooka Mario
Lets see all you warm color people look at this.
View attachment 14789
These Mario enemies all have cool colors on at least 1 part of their body.
Even the fucking Koopa Troopa is green, one of the most important Mario enemies.
Did I mention that Yoshi's have more cool colored variants than warm ones...?
Cool colors are just simply superior.

Mario is looking at the picture with intrigue. Sure, he says, you point at the cool colors to indicate they're there, but what is your eye drawn to? Maybe if I blur the image and apply a neutral tone background, it'll be clear.

HERE WE GOOO!!!

THERE WE GO! He exclaims. What do you think? Your eye is always going to be drawn to warm colors. This also applies to cool colors too. That is, warmer colors will always stand out over cooler colors. So in this case, your eye is drawn to the yellow lips, the red skin of the vicious Piranha Plant, the warm brown fur of the timid Monty Mole, the yellow skin of the mighty Sledge Bro, the yellow eyes of the creepy Skeleton Goomba, and the yellowish lips of the persistent Spike. Even though Broozer and Dino Torch use an overall cool palette, you're still drawn to their warmer colors. Try as you might, you just cannot have cool overtake warm!

Now as you can see here, there are some obvious differences in the interpretations of what is warm or cool here, which is especially noticeable with the shades of green. So why the massive difference? Because colour theory is nothing than what it says it is, a theory. It is not completely scientific and can be open to interpretation.
Hmmmm

Actually, he says, color theory, while definitely open to interpretation and doesn't encompass hard-fast rules for color, is still a highly reliable guideline you should always keep in mind when making compositions, especially with color in mind. I recommend every budding artist, like you, Painter Luigi, to study. I don't think you can learn it all in one class either and, as always, experience and doing art is always going to make you grow. Take note that the gradient between red and blue is also blurred here. What color theory also teaches is that color is relative and your perception of it can easily change. In other words, your brain is easily tricked. It's particularly susceptible changing color due to surrounding colors.

1625472922244.png

See, he says, the yellow circle is the same color but you perceive the left as redder due to the warm strips of color altering it; the circle seems greener because of the green strips. So I guess to foster more debate, we should instead be looking at color as a spectrum with several dimensions rather than just do a hard divide between cool and warm. I still say the warmer the better! Cool is supporting, sure, but it's warm that takes the starring role here. With that in mind I will make a painting of the entire cool color spectrum and I will apply an area of warm color.

What do we call our planet? We call it the blue planet. And blue is a cool color. Also, what organism can withstand hundreds and thousands of years in the heat, cold, and thunder? Trees. And trees have leaves which give us the oxygen we need to survive. And what color are most leaves? Green, a cool color. So there.
That would mean Green is our way of life, and that is true,
without green trees, how would we even live or be on this forum.
Mario time!

Mario looks confident with this. Crossing his arms, he states, warmth is still the fuel for life here. All energy on life is starts and is sustained by the warmest thing in our solar system! Without adequate sunlight our planet would be an iceball. Brrr! And no plants to speak of. And that means neither you or me can live. That's not so okey-dokey now, is it? And just because you say green is life doesn't mean the other colors are. It doesn't even mean green is. Green can indicate sicklyness from vomit. Blue looks like a frostbite. Purple can look quite dead all together. On the meantime, red is the color of life. Your skin is colored by the blood coursing through you. Without that pink tone, your skin would look quite lifeless. You need warmth to survive, and I can even say, we all started in somewhere nice and warm. *wink* Sure thing, Mario!

Great question, and one that I will attempt to answer using Mario levels. Let's look at an example:

This is Painted Swampland from New Super Mario Bros. U, perhaps one of the most distinct levels in the series in terms of visuals. The level focuses heavily on the color purple, with it being used for the poison and to tint the background. Another color of focus is green, which is used for the pipes, and also for the background. The combination of green and purple creates an exotic feeling (in general I find that green and purple is a good combo to create an alien-like atmosphere), one that is fitting for this unique level, and by extension, the world of Soda Jungle as a whole. After all, Soda Jungle is the world with giant enemies, poison-infested areas, and deep dark woods.

Not convinced by this example? Very well, here's another.

Also from New Super Mario Bros. U, this is Cooligan Fields. Although this is a snow level as opposed to a painting-esque one, unlike other snow levels in the series, this one takes place at night. This is illustrated by a dark blue background, contrasted against the cyan-blue ice platform. The usage of the various shades of blue creates a relaxing effect, as if Mario is on a midnight stroll rather than chasing after Bowser, and the bright color of the ice attracts attention to it, bringing the platform to the foreground.

Here's some other points to bring up for cool colors:
- In Super Mario 64, Blue Coins are the most valuable, being worth five coins each. In comparison, yellow Coins and Red Coins are worth one and two coins respectively.
- 1-Up Mushrooms, which are green, are more valuable than Super Mushrooms, and are more helpful.
- Neo Bowser City, my favorite Mario Kart course, focuses on blue and black, which are contrasted by neon purple signs.

In general, one of the reasons why I prefer cool colors is that I find them to blend in more naturally. I prefer the subtlety of cool colors to the energy of warm colors. I think that cool colors blend in much better with nature, such as with grass, snow, and water.

Hello!

Hello! Mario greets and compliments. Looking good today! These are all splendid examples of cool colors in action but again, allow me to blur the images to show you that warm colors tend to stand out,even if you're using just a palette of one color.

As I said, color temperature is on a spectrum. This being said, cyan is a warmer color than blue. This means that cyan, by being warmer, pops out. And look what you see, the yellow coins and such popping out. They even compete with cyan, though since their chroma is not as intense they don't completely overtake cyan, but it's impressive that warm colors still manage to be something you're drawn to, even if surrounding by their opposing cool colors.

Wahoo! Blue coins are indeed worth more, but only in two games. In other games, they're tied to a blue P-Switch and they'll disappear eventually! They're worth only 1 coin! Red coins are also more common and everyone loves red coin rings!

I beg to disagree that 1-Up Mushrooms are more valuable and helpful. If you're skilled like me, the lives you get won't matter. I cannot stress how many times I was disappointed that taking a risk and exploring a level a bit rewards me with not a needed rare powerup or a Star Coin, but just another 1-Up to my big dusty collection of 1-Ups. Many times, when 1-Up Mushrooms are supposed to reward me, I need to have my Fire form or even Super form. Finally, 1-Ups are removed all together during my significant expedition to stop Princess Peach from being married to Bowser!

And yet, the standout of your favorite track is the relatively warm neon signs that really let the city pop. It would be quite drab if there wasn't any pleasing warm colors to breathe life in the city!

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
i love how fake this image feels (but it is pretty)
speaking of which! bliss! very iconic! all cool colors

Ah yes, quite the pleasant photo. Interesting fact about this landscape, it was originally photographed in 1996. When photographers returned 10 years later, it looked something like this. The overcast sky and brown grapevines covering the hill make a much less appealing photo than the bright blue sky and vibrant green grass of the original, don't they?

Booguette

PECK!

Mario is looking at the picture with intrigue. Sure, he says, you point at the cool colors to indicate they're there, but what is your eye drawn to? Maybe if I blur the image and apply a neutral tone background, it'll be clear.

HERE WE GOOO!!!

THERE WE GO! He exclaims. What do you think? Your eye is always going to be drawn to warm colors. This also applies to cool colors too. That is, warmer colors will always stand out over cooler colors. So in this case, your eye is drawn to the yellow lips, the red skin of the vicious Piranha Plant, the warm brown fur of the timid Monty Mole, the yellow skin of the mighty Sledge Bro, the yellow eyes of the creepy Skeleton Goomba, and the yellowish lips of the persistent Spike. Even though Broozer and Dino Torch use an overall cool palette, you're still drawn to their warmer colors. Try as you might, you just cannot have cool overtake warm!

Hmmmm

Actually, he says, color theory, while definitely open to interpretation and doesn't encompass hard-fast rules for color, is still a highly reliable guideline you should always keep in mind when making compositions, especially with color in mind. I recommend every budding artist, like you, Painter Luigi, to study. I don't think you can learn it all in one class either and, as always, experience and doing art is always going to make you grow. Take note that the gradient between red and blue is also blurred here. What color theory also teaches is that color is relative and your perception of it can easily change. In other words, your brain is easily tricked. It's particularly susceptible changing color due to surrounding colors.

View attachment 14811

See, he says, the yellow circle is the same color but you perceive the left as redder due to the warm strips of color altering it; the circle seems greener because of the green strips. So I guess to foster more debate, we should instead be looking at color as a spectrum with several dimensions rather than just do a hard divide between cool and warm. I still say the warmer the better! Cool is supporting, sure, but it's warm that takes the starring role here. With that in mind I will make a painting of the entire cool color spectrum and I will apply an area of warm color.

Mario time!

Mario looks confident with this. Crossing his arms, he states, warmth is still the fuel for life here. All energy on life is starts and is sustained by the warmest thing in our solar system! Without adequate sunlight our planet would be an iceball. Brrr! And no plants to speak of. And that means neither you or me can live. That's not so okey-dokey now, is it? And just because you say green is life doesn't mean the other colors are. It doesn't even mean green is. Green can indicate sicklyness from vomit. Blue looks like a frostbite. Purple can look quite dead all together. On the meantime, red is the color of life. Your skin is colored by the blood coursing through you. Without that pink tone, your skin would look quite lifeless. You need warmth to survive, and I can even say, we all started in somewhere nice and warm. *wink* Sure thing, Mario!

Hello!

Hello! Mario greets and compliments. Looking good today! These are all splendid examples of cool colors in action but again, allow me to blur the images to show you that warm colors tend to stand out,even if you're using just a palette of one color.

As I said, color temperature is on a spectrum. This being said, cyan is a warmer color than blue. This means that cyan, by being warmer, pops out. And look what you see, the yellow coins and such popping out. They even compete with cyan, though since their chroma is not as intense they don't completely overtake cyan, but it's impressive that warm colors still manage to be something you're drawn to, even if surrounding by their opposing cool colors.

Wahoo! Blue coins are indeed worth more, but only in two games. In other games, they're tied to a blue P-Switch and they'll disappear eventually! They're worth only 1 coin! Red coins are also more common and everyone loves red coin rings!

I beg to disagree that 1-Up Mushrooms are more valuable and helpful. If you're skilled like me, the lives you get won't matter. I cannot stress how many times I was disappointed that taking a risk and exploring a level a bit rewards me with not a needed rare powerup or a Star Coin, but just another 1-Up to my big dusty collection of 1-Ups. Many times, when 1-Up Mushrooms are supposed to reward me, I need to have my Fire form or even Super form. Finally, 1-Ups are removed all together during my significant expedition to stop Princess Peach from being married to Bowser!

And yet, the standout of your favorite track is the relatively warm neon signs that really let the city pop. It would be quite drab if there wasn't any pleasing warm colors to breathe life in the city!
Mister Mario, you make many good arguments, but let's test them.

First off, you said cyan blue stood out more, which is true. But, it still is a cool color.
Next, Red is not the color of life. If you go and have a look at nature, you will notice some of the most pretty plants are made of cool colors!
And although I do agree that 1-UP mushrooms are not as good as other power-ups, but that is only based on each individual level. In the long run, 1-UPs are very important indeed! And also in SMM2's story mode.
And you cannot deny that our planet is indeed a blue one! Just go to the Moon Kingdom in SMO and you'll see.
Now, I must say warm colors are very eye-catching, but for the sake of argument and not being confusing, I'll stick to one side.

Toasty Toad

All toasters toast toast
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
GreenWeegee
Luigi=Green=Cool Color:luigi:
Mario=Red=Warm Color:mario:
Luigi is taller than Mario
Luigi can jump higher and run faster than Mario

PaperMario77

brazillian eggman
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Popopo
Well, sure, while warm colors can be used, for instance, an evening sky, cool colors just have more uses.
Take a look at the Super Show! versions of the Koopa Troopa.

See? almost entirely cool colored!
Now, let's look at King Koopa and,

See? Almost the same color scheme!
This proves that cool colors do indeed have more uses.

Booguette

PECK!
Well, sure, while warm colors can be used, for instance, an evening sky, cool colors just have more uses.
Take a look at the Super Show! versions of the Koopa Troopa.

See? almost entirely cool colored!
Now, let's look at King Koopa and,

See? Almost the same color scheme!
This proves that cool colors do indeed have more uses.
um those do not look like koopas

Hero Chaos Chao

Kind and Pure
In the early Mario Party games, each character had a different colour to represent them. (I know this is week 3, but I have some leftover arguments that were meant for week 2, so I'm posting them right now)

Warm Colours:
Red = Mario
Pink = Peach
Hot Pink = Toadette
Brown = DK
Yellow = Daisy
Orange = Koopa Kid

Cool Colours:
Green = Yoshi, Luigi (MP6 only)
Light Green = Yoshi (MP6 only)
Ice Blue = Boo (MP5 only), Toad (MP6 only)
Blue = Luigi (MP1-MP5)
Purple = Wario
Black = Waluigi
Grey = Toad (MP5 only), Boo (MP6 only)

Starting from MP7, the colours reflected the number of players (Blue, Red, Yellow, Green), not the characters themselves.

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
I'm running late this week for good reason, but I'm glad to see supporters come out in support of cool colors in my absence!

AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Smiling_2.gif

It seems that Zelen, Waluigi Time, and Goombuigi have already offered some striking points on how cool colors can enhance all we see, and others have helped them in their mission. To you three, I say thank you. We already have a strong case, thanks to your work.

Now, I understand that, in addition to this question, the judge would like to see our creative side.

I am not the comic artist that Waluigi Time is, nor the the imaginative scene-maker Booguette is, but...

Thinking_(Edgeworth)_talking.gif

If there's one thing that the ongoing scribble tourney (which everyone should check out to support the participants and GBA!) has taught me, it's that even I can offer some sort of art. So, this week, I submit to you a modified scribble, a mibble, if you will. With this, I will show you that cool colors alone (with black) can create a recognizable and interesting location!

NokiBay.png

Recognize the location? Well, you might better know it as Noki Bay! This leads to the second part of my argument this week. How do cool colors enhance what we see? Let us look at two iconic Mario series locations to find out!

As you can see, Noki Bay is a landscape dominated by cool colors, with greens and blues in various shades, and even purple making up the bulk of these towering cliffs and calm seas. And what does it all come together to make? One very peaceful, serene bay tucked away among the cliffs. The use of cool colors helps make the level more relaxing and idyllic.

But that's not all cool colors can do!

Here we see the iconic Luigi's Mansion, absolutely dominated by and completely framed by cool colors. Look at what is done with the mansion, the hill, the sky, and even the torches and path with just shades of green and blue. Cool colors are not one-trick ponies when it comes to enhancing what we see. They can also be used for atmospheric effect, as they are here to give the location a very creep vibe.

Hero Chaos Chao

Kind and Pure
Part 2 of the leftover arguments:

Yo-Kai tribes not only have different symbols to represent them, but also colours! (For consistency, I will only mention the original tribes, not the new ones made for Shadowside)

Warm Colours:
Red = Brave
Yellow = Mysterious
Orange = Tough
Pink = Charming

Cool Colours:
Green = Heartful
Light Blue = Slippery
Blue = Shady
Dark Blue = Wandroid
Navy Blue = Wicked (not the Shadowside version of this tribe)
Eerie = Violet
Enma = Purple

Hero Chaos Chao

Kind and Pure
Part 3 of leftover arguments (the final one):

In CTR (the original version, not Nitro-Fueled), each character has a different coloured kart.

Warm Colours:
Red = Dr. Neo Cortex
Orange = Ripper Roo
Yellow = Papu Papu
Gold = Komodo Joe
Pink = Coco

Cool Colours:
Yellow-Green = Dingodile
Green = Tiny
Neon Green = Oxide
Aqua Blue = Polar
Light Blue = N. Tropy
Blue = Crash
Blue-grey = Fake Crash
Violet = N. Gin
Purple = Pura
Dark Grey = Pinstripe
White = Penta

And that's all of the leftover arguments. I don't really have anything else for week 3. Hopefully Team Warm Colours pulls through!

Status
Not open for further replies.