Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/they
MarioWiki
Roserade

'SHROOMFEST DEBATE
WARM COLORS VS COOL COLORS

Greetings everyone! The fifth round of 'Shroomfest is underway, and it's shaping up to be a colorful one! I'm Roserade, friendly neighborhood Grass-type and the current 'Shroom Sub-Director, and this month, I've stolen a certain ninja's gavel and am taking the reins as judge. Why is that so? Check out this month's 'Shroomfest section in the paper to read the story! If you're new to 'Shroomfest, the page will also be good for your perusal. Don't worry, we can wait for you to come back, I promise.

Introduction
A 'Shroomfest is a contest between two opposite factions who will take part in a debate over a subject in order to prove the superiority of their side over the other. In order to judge which side of the subject is objectively better, we want the community to send us their arguments and their ideas on the "true" best side. Two team leaders, who will come up with their own arguments to convince you that their side is truly the best, will lead the factions. The debate will then have a duration of three weeks. Will you manage to convince us which side is objectively the best?

Subject
What class of colors do you prefer, warm colors or cool colors?

Warm Colors vs Cool Colors 'Shroomfest Debate Committee

Rules
In order for you to earn points for each factions, we have opted to divide things into three categories. In order for a faction to come out as the winner, it must win as many categories as possible. For a full explanation of the rules, please click here.

• VOTES: The number of votes for each side. To cast a vote on the 'Shroomfest poll, click here. Remember to vote once a week.
  • ENDORSEMENTS: The number of users of the community who endorse a team.
    • In order to provide your support, simply write something like this in this thread:
      • Vote Warm Colors
      • Go Cool Colors!
      • I support Team Warm Colors
      • Cool Colors for the win!
  • EFFORT: The effort that has been put into the debate.
    • In order to provide points into this category, users must participate into the debate by providing:
      • Arguments and Examples
      • Artwork
      • Stories
      • Memes
      • Other forms of creative work that reflect a degree of thought and effort beyond just a few words.

Debate Guidelines

• The designated judge (Roserade) will open the debate's thread. Following this post, the team leaders (Superchao and Hooded Pitohui) will hand over their argument, which explains why they support their respective team.
  • For a week, you will provide your own endorsements, arguments and ideas regarding the objectively best answer to the debate's question. You can make use of your own arguments, or by providing art, photos, stories, memes, and other forms of creative work.
  • After a week of debate, the judge will intervene with a brief note, highlighting the best cases from both team, and sometimes even question the various subjects raised by the team leaders and supporters. The judge will then reward with three extra points to the "EFFORT" category to the side that seems to have brought the most convincing or entertaining cases.
  • Following the judge's intervention, the team leaders will try to disapprove, counter-argue or acknowledge the judge’s picks. This will lead to further debating between the two opposite factions. Take note that for the sake of neutrality, the judge cannot take part in the debate.
  • This cycle will repeat itself every week for a maximum of three weeks, offering a chance to win nine extra points for your faction.
  • Once the three-week period has ended, the judge will conclude the debate with a short message and invite the participants to come back for the results that will release during Issue 172 of The ‘Shroom. Any message or argument posted after this message won't be taken into account during the compilation of the results.
  • Please note that in an effort to keep the debate civil, fun, and lighthearted, please, respect all the instructions. Any inappropriate behaviors (spam, flaming, personal attacks, etc…), and discussions regarding politics, social issues, or any controversial topics will not be tolerated.
  • The debate will end on July 10th, 2021.

If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions for future debates, please contact Ninja Squid, Hooded Pitohui, and Roserade via a forum PM or on Discord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Red, yellow, orange, all warm colors, all colors associated with heat, whether from fire or from the blazing sun. You often hear comments about hot-headed individuals with boiling blood working themselves up under the scorching temperatures of summer. I wonder, can warm colors have the same effect as the heat, stirring up passions and making people act more rashly? It would explain why, in Rose's absence, you rise to argue a longshot case for warm colors.

AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Annoyed_1.gif

But I'm not here to go on at length about the... less-than-respectable characteristics of warm colors. No, we can save that for the right moment, the moment we begin to discuss color symbolism. I am not here to discuss warm colors, I am here to share with you all that which makes cool colors great, which makes the cool colors more pleasing and elegant.

To begin, let's review a few interesting facts, shall we?

AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Court_Document_2.gif

• Blue, too, has some fascinating moments in its history, such as the time when it was - in the form of Ultramarine, made from Lapis Lazuli - the most highly valued pigment in the Renaissance period.
    • And showing that the quest for command over colors has had practical benefits, the pursuit of a cheaper blue - so strongly was this cool color, with all of its allure, desired that there was a lengthy quest to find a way to make a good synthetic blue pigment - gave the world Prussian blue, a pigment which not only has use in art, but made the the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines for its use in medicine.
  • When it comes to discussing colors, discussing the RGB color model is a must, and you'll notice that green and blue, two cool colors, outnumber the one red color. Does it mean a whole lot? Well... no, but, still, two cool primary colors to one warm primary color, weight that into your voting.
  • One of the first synthetic dyes discovered - arguably the most famous of the early synthetic dyes discovered - mauveine, was a violet (purple) dye. Being one of the first mass-produced dyes, the accidentally-discovered mauveine and the quest for a cheaper purple helped to kickstart the industrialization of dye production.

We could be here all day listing interesting facts about cool colors, but I am certain all of you have your own facts and opinions to share, and I think we would all do better to hear from you.

(Image uploaded by Luna04, used under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license)
AAI_Miles_Edgeworth_Bowing.gif

We'll have much more to discuss when we come back to discuss color symbolism, but, for now, rally around the cause of cool colors! Make your voices heard, and reject the overwhelming and overbearing, heated warm colors in favor of inviting and calming cool colors!

Raiko Horikawa

Live your life according to your rhythm!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao

That's where you're wrong, Mr. Edgeworth. Red, orange, and yellow, and every shade in between - I'm here to defend their honor from your baseless accusations, and prove why the cool colors you side with are less inspiring, less interesting, and less dazzling than the colors we all know and love the most!

If you're going to approach this by reviewing facts, then I have the right to do the same. Let's go over them, shall we?

• Red is the color of Notice This. Red captures the eye! You remember red things and red warnings, it interrupts your intention. Blue signs are ones you have to slow down and look at, while red signs and symbols are used for warnings and emergencies because people know that's what it takes to guarantee everyone pays attention.
    • Consider, too, how many things in video games are red to be significant. We have long-associations with red being the Flashing Weak Point. Why's that? Because if it was a blue flashing weak point, or a green one, or a purple one, nobody would be paying attention! The eye is drawn to red. Take away red, and you take away the most important signal color.
  • Yellow is the color of a bright day. Yellow is associated with sunshine for a reason - sure, the sun itself might be white, but that doesn't change that yellow is the impression it leaves on people. Yellow is positive, energetic! A good mood! Who doesn't like yellow?
    • Yellow is also deeply associated with electricity, which just might be the most important concept to ever exist. Electricity drives the world. Electricity is at the heart of how we're talking. Electricity is the very concept behind life itself! Between sunshine and electricity, yellow's got some very important concepts represented here.
  • Orange might be the underappreciated middle child of the warm colors, but it's still important in nature! Look at how many orange things you can find in nature that look impressive. This moth, for example. The orange fruit and its many varieties. A lot of cats! Nature appreciates orange, and we should too!
    • Orange is a uniquely visually appealing color. Red can be too fierce, and yellow too bright. You'll barely ever hear someone complain about too orange, though. It's a balanced color, one that leaves your eyes appreciative, not watering!
  • If we're talking color models, it'd be remiss to leave out the other main color model. Paints and arts still use the RBY color model of primary colors. Two warm colors and one cool color... if we're weighing RGB, we can weigh this too, no?
  • Think about how many iconic pieces of clothing there are out there. How many of them are warm colors? A lot. Captain Falcon's helmet, Samus Aran's Varia Suit, Mario's hat and overalls, Pikachu being bright yellow... and that's just the start!

But I think you have a point, Mr. Edgeworth. We should let the people decide! I look forward to them understanding and supporting the superior brightness, visibility, and aesthetic appeal of warm colors!

10th Doctor

Will Eat Your Soul
Pronouns
He/She
BC2A7B64-88E9-403A-AFC1-FDC035BCF42C.jpeg

Hey, all! Scott here!
44A8586C-C9A3-44D7-96F4-3D81D0A2BB4F.jpeg

You know, coming off of last Shroomfest, I’m more determined to persuade people than ever.
6379F3C3-FA45-41EC-BB41-B0B1E3386E11.jpeg

So, cool colors, right? They exist! And boy, when they exist, they really put you at ease. Just look at my wall. Blue. That’s a cool color. The color of the ocean.
715F08E0-CB06-41A2-8688-2663E9D8DE45.jpeg

Now, take a look at lava. That’s red. Not pleasant. It’s a warm color. So, here is my theory: Cool colors are more relaxing than warm colors. Don’t believe me? Try swimming in lava.
45B28DD2-EA4D-4E7B-A788-77B565785A37.jpeg
*Outro Music*

N. Brio

See this forum? I invented it!
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
MightyMario
unrelated but it says july 10th 2020 instead of july 10th 2021

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Fixed!

Think about how many iconic pieces of clothing there are out there. How many of them are warm colors? A lot. Captain Falcon's helmet, Samus Aran's Varia Suit, Mario's hat and overalls, Pikachu being bright yellow... and that's just the start!
And while I'm here, let me remind you all that the Bro clad in green, Luigi, consistently beats out Mario in our Favorite Major Character category in the Mario Awards.

It seems green is pretty iconic, too.

Yoshi the SSM

Dry Bowser
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
Yoshi the SSM artwork.png: "It's Shroomfest Time. Hey, Mr. Y. Do you want to come over so that we can support team Warm Colors together. I mean, we're both Red. (nothing) Mr. Y?"

Narrator: "All of a sudden, a blue figure emerges."
Mr. Y (blue).png : "No, no, no, no. Warm Colors aren't the best. Cool Colors are."
Yoshi the SSM artwork.png: "Mr. Y? Are you ok?"
Mr. Y (blue).png: "I'm fine. I am now the color blue for Team Cool Colors. Get ready for the battle of Warm Colors with Yoshi the SSM and Cool Colors with Mr. Y."

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid

Hi there cool people!

I heard there was an intense fight over here, so I decided to investigate the area to find out what's going on. It seems everyone here is fighting for which class of colors is the best. Well, I have an answer to such a question, but first, let me introduce myself.

I am known as the Sticky Warrior, I am some kind of legend in Rogueport, helping in wiping out filthy bandits from the port town, as well as the eighth wonder of the Glitz Pit. But none of that is important today.

What, you think you know me from somewhere? That is impossible, because you are all strangers to me. Yeah, first time I met all of you, reeaaalllly.

Anyway, let's take a look:

Hooded Pitohui said:
Red? Red is a color of aggression, associated with war and bloodshed.

Come on, Mr. Cool Colors... Red is more important than that. Red is the color of love and passion! Have you forgotten Valentine's Day, where reds and pinks are seen everywhere! It shows that red is more than just for being a color of gruesome and anger, after all.

I also have to say that warm colors are also colors that makes you feel energetic and vibrant, and we must fight for them. This is a 'Shroomfest after all, not a Snoozefest, which will actually be the case if we let cool colors to win.

My favorite color is red, so I have no choice but to defend it, so here I am fighting with Warm Colors! Stand with me, stand with Mr. Warm Colors and let's go for the win!

Last edited:

Booguette

PECK!
Hi Everybody! I'm here to represent my argument for team go-hmm? What's that you say? We aren't talking about golf and tennis? Oh. bother. Now I don't have an argument. Well, I support team cool colors because they are...well...just calmer than warm ones. I mean, to tell the truth, I really don't care that much about if I'm using warm or cool colors, I just go with it. But in honor of the phenomenon that has been going on from the beginning of time, fighting, I support cool colors! let's go!

Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace

Dark Light here. I'm here to represent the Protectors. I know that we VERY codified by our colors and we have an equal amount of cool and warm colors in this group, but I must say that I have a preference towards cool colors myself.

One reason? I hate hot weather. "Warm" reminds me of "hot". No thank you. The last thing I need to be reminded of is being burnt up in the heat by the sun.

Two, green is the color of chlorophyll in nature. Everyone needs plants to survive in some type of fashion. Unless of course you're those weirdo tube worms who live in the bottom of the ocean who can make their own food just from the nutrients but those things are WEIRD. Have you ever seen them? Besides, they're ocean creatures and the ocean makes me barf.

Speak of which, while the wretched ocean is blue, everyone needs water to survive; the color red simply does NOT exist in deep depths, and the warmer colors get eaten up. They're the longest, least energetic wavelengths, and they'd get dissolved first. Greens, blues, and violets are more hardy. This also explains why the sky is blue for the most part, except in sunsets and sunrises, but I hate sunsets and sunrises: the sun makes it a pain to patrol in my police duties.

I'm Ultra Violet. If it wasn't obvious to you by now, I represent the color purple. While Commander Dark Light is not of a color preference because she's black, which is technically not a color, I can fill in the role purples play. She has already mentioned that ultraviolet is the shortest wavelength. It is. Because of the short wavelength, purple is a pretty powerful color, and ultraviolet is your favorite cancer-causing agent. While it ain't cool for normal guys, it does have applications in the real world too.

Not to mention, red, the opposite of purple in terms of spectrum, gets beaten up first when exposed to direct sunlight. You see why stop signs are usually a faded red? Warmer colors degrade faster than cooler ones. Hence, they aren't as long lived. Of course, saturation also comes into play too but for the sake of argument, let's just stick to it.

I'm Bluminescence! There's more to the color blue than Dark Light has said, and what's funny is that she's a blue life! Blue is very versatile, and many sprites use very dark shades of blue instead of black because it's one of the darker value colors! If you ever painted before, in order to turn yellow green, you only need small amounts of blue to do the trick, whereas if you want to turn blue green, you need a large amount of yellow to do the same thing! Blue is the most powerful out of all the primary paints: red blue and yellow.

Don't tell Ray Trace that I'm much stronger than he is! Heh heh heh! Maybe we should invite Redshift, Ray Trace, and Kontrast to this, don't you think? If only Commander Dark Light agreed with Redshift here, because he's already very annoyed we're officially rooting for the coolest of the cool!

if i drink cold colour it will come out as warm colour
Well, if you throw up then not really.

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
Alright, alright, folks. We need to talk.

I can't keep up here without without mentioning another celebration besides Valentine's Day where the use of warm colors can be found:

Halloween
Halloween is a wonderful celebration held in October, where pumpkins are often seen everywhere. Which color are pumpkins usually again? Yes, orange, a warm color. Let me remind you, that Halloween without pumpkins isn't Halloween at all.

Furthermore, Halloween is held in the middle of the Fall season, where tree leaves change color to yellow, red or orange hues, making awesome sceneries! All those being warm colors as well!

See? Much better than just green alone. Take that not-so cool colors! ❤🧡💛

Bluminescence

The Frenchiest French who has ever Frenched
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Furthermore, Halloween is held in the middle of the Fall season, where tree leaves change color to yellow, red or orange hues, making awesome sceneries! All those being warm colors as well!
coniferous trees laugh at these plants

Which color are pumpkins usually again? Yes, orange, a warm color. Let me remind you, that Halloween without pumpkins isn't Halloween at all.
the coolest pumpkins are the ones that are in cool colors mate

1624141771211.png
1624141808039.png
1624141827569.png

Lakituthequick

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Oh Pito, Pito, Pito.
Why is it every time we meet, you take on the side on the opposite field? It's heartbreaking man. Heartbreaking.
Fortunately for you, both warm and cool colours have their merits. So I'll probably be supporting you in the foreseeable future, but today? Alas.
Red. Red is a good colour. In fact, my clothing cabinet mostly consists of red shirts and sweaters, and one red set of trousers. I am wearing a red shirt and red capri's as I write this. I rarely wear that last one, mind you, this requires high temperatures. I guess the message is clear.

See y'all next week. Maybe it'll be cooler outside then. It better be, I've sweat in illegal places the past few days.

Shmaluigi

Off-Duty Private Investigator
Wiki Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Booting...

ShbigChanges.png

Greetings, my fellow 'Shroomfest participants. I regret to inform you all that my creator and employer, Mr. Waluigi Time, will not be joining us for the time being. He is currently preoccupied with the pursuit of grain-based processed breakfast foods. In the meantime, he has sent me in his place. You may call me Shbig Changes.

The logical choice is clear. Cool colors are far superior. I am partial to the color purple myself, which you can see on the familiar and comforting sight of a Waluigi Time Cereal box on the store shelf, which can be purchased for 25% off next week only at your local JojaMart.

My apologies for the brief aside, I am programmed to shill for the Waluigi Time Cereal family of products, after all. At any rate, cool colors are simply more appealing and more versatile for design. I am sure you have observed poor application of warm colors on many occasions. I must object to the argument that orange is "visually appealing". On the contrary, orange can be quite the garish color when used poorly.

Additionally, the emotions and imagery conveyed by warm colors provide less opportunity for their usage. Quite the inefficient colors. I will be discussing this further in the coming weeks.

I wish all my fellow debaters a very pleasant 'Shroomfest.

Polly

Ace Parrot
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
i was going to go with whichever team had purple in it, which looks like its cool colours, however i am now forced to choose warm colours by default because i refuse to side with any team that allows a creature as reprehensible as shmig changes onto their team. his very existence is a sin and tramples upon the legacy of great heros who sacrificed many things to ensure a peaceful future for all free of deer men and other bad things

lets go warm colours woop wopp

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
coniferous trees laugh at these plants
Nobody care for coniferous trees during Fall, there not even the reason as for why people love the sceneries during Fall season.

the coolest pumpkins are the ones that are in cool colors mate

I said Halloween! None of these wannabe pumpkins should make its way into my Halloween decorations, all they will do is ruined everything. They don't even have a good color combination with what is found mostly during the fall. It's loveable red, electric orange, or bright yellow, not some snoozing blue.

Therefore, I'll stand with the classic orange pumpkins. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Speaking of orange...

I must object to the argument that orange is "visually appealing". On the contrary, orange can be quite the garish color when used poorly.
Criticizing the color orange, then? Let me show you a little something...

So, Mr. Shbig Changes, are you prepare to criticize the clothing choices of Waluigi? I wonder if you are even programmed for doing such a thing? :boshi:

*Yawn*

Oh, sorry! I almost fall asleep while looking at this. Not something that would have happened with some bright warm colors. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.