Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade

Welcome to the second-ever MarioWiki Panel de Pon tournament, where we can all collectively use this tourney as a ritual to summon a new Panel de Pon game into existence! Please Nintendo.

A very special thank you goes to tfp for organizing this tournament last year and giving it a groundwork, and for supplying us with all of the resources you’ll be seeing throughout this op

How do you play this game?

Panel de Pon is a match-three puzzle game where fairies fight each other by creating combos. Matching colors and dropping pieces into place is the bread and butter of its quick gameplay. Experimenting with the game in single-player is one of the best ways to learn PDP, but if you want some direct tutorials, you can check out these videos tfp put together last year:

We’ll be using the Nintendo Switch Online version of this game, supplied through the “””””Virtual Console””””””. If you would like to play the tourney but paying for online is a concern, let me know and I’m willing to work out something with you.

Here’s some important terminology to remember:
-Round: The current match you’re playing. Rounds are counted by the stars at the bottom of the screen.
-Point/Game: Synonymous terms, called points in-game. When you win two rounds, you’ll win that game.
-Set: Winning two games against your opponent wins you the set. The set is what you’re fighting for every match.

How will the tournament play out?

The competition will be rotating through with round robin matches. This means everybody will be playing everybody else. I’m currently intending each round deadline to be five days, but depending on how many players sign up, this time frame may be lengthened or shortened. The op will be updated with an online bracket, so you’ll be able to see who you’ll be facing in each round.

Sets will be played as first to two points. Each player will start at level 6, and increase level by 1 after each game. There’s no time limit or anything, so matches can go as long as they need to. Whoever wins the most sets by the end of the competition will be crowned winner of the tournament.

Oh geez I shouldn’t join because I’ve never played before

Please don’t let this be a hindrance! Last year’s tourney was the first time several community members had ever played Panel de Pon, and with plenty of novice players and experienced veterans, the skillpool will be engaging for everyone. No matter who you face and if they kick your ass in five seconds or not, you’ll be able to learn a little more about the game, and hopefully have some fun! PDP is a fairly simple game to pick up, so I hope that if you’re interested, you’ll join us for some good times

Wait this game is entirely in Japanese what

Yeah, Nintendo couldn’t be bothered to localize the game for its “””””””Virtual Console””””””””” release! Thanks guys!

The good news is, tfp supplied English screenshots in his thread from last year, denoting which button means what! Everybody make sure to thank him with thunderous applause as you sign up

Main Menu

1Player Game

• Endless - just how it sounds like

• Time Trial - 2 minutes to get a high score. You can adjust the speed of how the blocks rise from the bottom and the difficulty (how fast a match clears)

• Stage Clear - Clear blocks as quickly as possible to get them under a white line that will pop up as you keep disposing blocks

• Puzzle - Clear the board in the alloted moves

• Vs - The main story mode, This will help you practice for the tourney

2Player Game

How to Play

How to Improve (useful for newcomers!)
you can navigate through these step by step to visualize how chains and combos are done

How to Improve Combos Menu

How to Improve Chains Menu

How to Improve Skillchain Menu

Okay you’ve convinced me I’m signing up

Please let me know your username and Switch friend code! I'll leave sign-ups open for about a week, and we'll go from there

• Roserade - SW-5046-6095-0140
  • Goombuigi - SW-5622-4479-3404 (Luigi)
  • GBA - SW tba
  • Shoey - SW tba
  • Alex95 - SW-0311-3668-6030
  • Kirbyo - SW-0015-8752-0723
  • Hooded Pitohui - SW-6880-0428-3118
  • Waluigi Time - SW-4223-0648-3321
  • Superchao - SW tba
  • Turb - SW-1512-5312-3150
  • Shy Guy on Wheels - SW-0123-1155-4155
  • Zange - SW-5651-4742-8511
  • Troy - SW-0919-9267-7387

Last edited:

Queen

Do You Ever Yearn For The Soft Touch Of A Pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
i am panel de pogging as we speak

sw code tba

Sou Hiyori

miss sara it seems i'm stuck on marioboards.com
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Turboo
im willing to sign up but need to work out details such as giving nintendo 20 dollars again

SW-1512-5312-3150

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
I'm going to close sign ups at some point tomorrow night, so this is your day and a half reminder to sign up if you haven't already and you're interested. Once again, I must reiterate that all skill levels are welcome, so don't worry about being new or not being the best! This is all about having some fun

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
A little later than last night but sign ups are officially closed! I'll be putting together the bracket today or tomorrow, so expect the tournament to start tomorrow, June 22nd. Thank you all for signing up!

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
Hello. I play this game. Not sure when the tournament starts. But my friend code is 0919-9267-7387
You got pretty lucky with this sign-up, since I hadn't started the tournament bracket just yet. I was able to slot you in, but please read previous posts in the future to make sure you're signing up for things correctly

With that aside, I'm here to report that the tournament has started! I've added a bracket to the op, but you can also click the link right here if you're not feeling inclined to scroll all the way up: https://challonge.com/zey5xdgn

You'll notice that, because we have thirteen players, each round one person won't be playing. Don't be concerned if your name isn't on one, you just get a round off.
You'll also see that you're able to view who your future opponents are. While each round is technically five days, ultimately, you can play matches earlier or later than their assigned round. I ask that you follow round guidelines as much as you can, but I'm also not going to complain if you complete a later match early! As long as I have every score by the time the tournament ends, it's good with me.

It is entirely your responsibility to coordinate with your opponent when you'll be playing, so make sure to shoot them a private message asap to figure out when to play. Especially make sure to get into contact with them if you don't already have their friend code and they didn't post it in thread

The devil's in the details, and the details are behind us, so now I can announce that Round 1 ends on Saturday, June 26th. I'm in PST, so if your time zone shifts over to the 27th earlier than mine, it's alright to get it to me that day. Just get scores to me that's all I ask. You report your scores like so:
"Beat John Doe 2-1"
Easy and done.

Obligatory forum pings:
@Gordon the Big Engine
@GBA
@Matlock
@Kitchen
@Falinks
@Hooded Pitohui
@Shmaluigi
@Reko Yabusame
@Sou Hiyori
@Shy Guy on Wheels
@Kamikokuryo Moe
@Troy

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Um, I'm a bit confused about the ruleset, spesificaly here:
Roserade said:
Sets will be played as first to two points. Each player will start at level 6, and increase level by 1 after each game. There’s no time limit or anything, so matches can go as long as they need to. Whoever wins the most sets by the end of the competition will be crowned winner of the tournament.
Can you please elaorate?

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
When you join into your opponent's lobby, you'll go to 2 Player -> VS. Then you'll be at this screen (photo taken quickly from mobile):
IMG_20210622_122021666.jpg

You and your opponent will both set your level to 6, then pick a character and play the game. After that game ends, you'll be brought to the same screen, and you'll both go up to 7.
It's whoever wins two games wins the match, so if you're tied 1-1, your final game will be played at level 8.

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
When you join into your opponent's lobby, you'll go to 2 Player -> VS. Then you'll be at this screen (photo taken quickly from mobile):

You and your opponent will both set your level to 6, then pick a character and play the game. After that game ends, you'll be brought to the same screen, and you'll both go up to 7.
It's whoever wins two games wins the match, so if you're tied 1-1, your final game will be played at level 8.
Ok!