Anyone interested in a Kirby speedrun competition?

What Kirby games do you own?

• Return to Dreamland

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Star Allies

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Triple Deluxe

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Planet Robobot

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Any games avaliable via Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Several questions. First, have you decided on a game? Second, will we be playing the normal mode of the game or one of the speedrunning modes (e.g., Meta Knightmare or Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!), if one is available?
Well, I would use only games playable on the Switch, and I was thinking of doing single level speedruns.

Last edited:

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Ok, current rules:
  • The earliest sign-ups can begin is when the games to be speedran are figured out (the game itself definitely wont start until probably early July), in which case to sign up you must be able to record on all game consoles necessary (and own them) and own all needed games (unless emulators are allowed will figure that out later)
  • The tournament is currently going to be 8 players, single level speedruns, and will be bracket based
  • Star Allies will probably be a game, and I'll take Return to Dreamland into consideration
  • And finally, you may need to collect all the collectables in a level to count, but I need to discuss that first before making a decision
So, fire away!

Last edited:

Roserade

The Archduke
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
I think you might be a bit too zealous about this tournament, Kirbyo. Let's slow down for a moment and reconsider some aspects of it.

-Requiring people to record an entire speedrun of three games, on software that doesn't easily record, is going to make this extremely limiting to your playerbase
-Speedrunning any full-length game is incredibly time consuming, especially if it's a modern day release. Speedrunning one game each round is not going to be sustainable
-Bracket based won't necessarily make the tournament too much longer, but it will cut out half your players from being able to play in each round

For ideas of how this tournament could look, I'd recommend looking at last year's MKW tournament. The main points I want to bring up about it are a) each competition is for a single track, b) the tournament uses a system of trust when submitting photos of times, and c) the player pool only lost one player per round, making it still a full roster until the end.

So here's what I suggest you do for this tournament:
-Find a game mode that easily supports a tournament like this. I believe it's Return to Dreamland that have the challenge rooms on the Halberd, for example. Game modes like that are easy to approach and keep track of for you
-Reconsider a player pool approach rather than a bracket, so that your list of players can last as long as possible (otherwise, you're only gonna get like three rounds of playing)
-Allow your players to just send in a photo of their time/score. I trust everyone in this community to not cheat, especially for awards season, so I think you'll be able to find the same trust

Ultimately you don't have to consider what I've said, but I think those steps will help to make this tournament a success

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
I think you might be a bit too zealous about this tournament, Kirbyo. Let's slow down for a moment and reconsider some aspects of it.

-Requiring people to record an entire speedrun of three games, on software that doesn't easily record, is going to make this extremely limiting to your playerbase
-Speedrunning any full-length game is incredibly time consuming, especially if it's a modern day release. Speedrunning one game each round is not going to be sustainable
-Bracket based won't necessarily make the tournament too much longer, but it will cut out half your players from being able to play in each round

For ideas of how this tournament could look, I'd recommend looking at last year's MKW tournament. The main points I want to bring up about it are a) each competition is for a single track, b) the tournament uses a system of trust when submitting photos of times, and c) the player pool only lost one player per round, making it still a full roster until the end.

So here's what I suggest you do for this tournament:
-Find a game mode that easily supports a tournament like this. I believe it's Return to Dreamland that have the challenge rooms on the Halberd, for example. Game modes like that are easy to approach and keep track of for you
-Reconsider a player pool approach rather than a bracket, so that your list of players can last as long as possible (otherwise, you're only gonna get like three rounds of playing)
-Allow your players to just send in a photo of their time/score. I trust everyone in this community to not cheat, especially for awards season, so I think you'll be able to find the same trust

Ultimately you don't have to consider what I've said, but I think those steps will help to make this tournament a success
Ok, well first off, I was planning on doing single-level speedruns, but now that I think about it, yea challenges might be a bit better. Also I'll do a player pool, but I'll need to determine the max size, and that requires two things: the challenges to be speedran, and a bit of math. And also I guess I'll trust the community, videos are acceptable, but photos work too. Thanks for that, I was a bit to excited about this, gotta spend more time thinking about other aspects. And finally, it wasn't the Halberd, it was the Lor Starcutter. Thank you, have a good day.

Homer Simpson

Smiling Politely
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
MightyMario
How about a speedrun of the Boss Rush mode in Kirby’s Adventure or the Arena in Super Star?

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
How about a speedrun of the Boss Rush mode in Kirby’s Adventure or the Arena in Super Star?
OOOOOH nice idea! So how about... first batch of rounds are random challenges from RtD, last round is RtD's normal boss rush mode. How does that sound?

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Current rules:
  • The contest will have a pool of players, who all submit a time for whatever is being speedran, and the worst time/times will be eliminated untill one player is left standing, who will be crowned the king of Kirby speedruns
  • Their will be a prize, but Idk what it will be
  • there will be a maximum of 32 players, with replacments welcome, while the minimum is 8 players
  • Each player will submit their run via PM
  • You can submit multiple runs of the same thing, with the best times being counted
  • If you do not submit a run, then you will be eliminated with the people with the worst times, and the person that would be eliminated gets to stay
  • If the competition gets enough interest, then it will most likely start July 1st.
Anything I should change?

Last edited: