minecraft games: revenge

Snack

🌻Ashita wa nanika ga kawaru ka na?
Very belatedly, the rest of the Day 3 screenshots.

Hunger Games

The final game of the night, and of the event, was, as it had been between 2016 and 2018, Hunger Games. As far as I know it was mostly unchanged mechanically from 2018, although some parameters like the speed of the snow rise were changed with the aim of shortening the game. The goal was to have games lasting about one hour with multiple rounds being played, but despite the changes, while it was a somewhat shorter game than previous events, it still lasted several hours which kept us from playing any additional rounds. It also, like last time it was played, eventually turned into a Windows 3D pipes screensaver game.

After sitting out 2018 I played Hunger Games for the first time since 2017. I didn't get mad at like I did in previous years but it still isn't really my game; even for the part of the game where I was doing well I didn't really enjoy it that much because what I ended up doing felt too mean-spirited for me personally. I'm biased since I've never cared much for Hunger Games conceptually but it's the game I most feel could use an overhaul; given how teams invariably form I feel like it would benefit from having some sort of group win condition added.

Anyway, on to the screenshots. This is an account written from my perspective so it mainly focuses on what I did and is not intended to be objective.

The final door, feat. Zange.

22 as in past years (or at least as in 2018; I don't remember how involved he was before he revamped it with the snow system) ran the games, and given how much work went in to Feenik (at least I don't think it was a deliberate stylistic choice) the Hunger Games lobby ended up being very bare-bones.

22 explains the snow mechanic.

The airdrop.

TFP gets buffed.

TPG wanted to play but given how earlier in the morning it was for him wasn't able to make it. He wanted to get in the second round but unfortunately that never happened with how long the first ran.

Turb and Pitohui traded blows early.

Pitohui was the newcomer (along with FWD) I was most worried about facing, so between that and the altercation with Turb when I saw him I immediately went after him. Turns out that, and this should have been more obvious, skill at text-based battle royale games doesn't carry over.

The other person I faced early and I think basically the only other person I beat in the final rankings was Perch.

The turning point for my game was when, descending into a cave looking for more iron, I happened to find a lava source. Remembering how effectively VocalBeat had used it in 2016 (mainly against me, which I was really mad about at the time), I crafted a bucket (I'd actually found a considerable amount of iron) and took it with me. With it I had some success in the early-mid game, but not very much and basically just ended in everyone being united against me as teams started to form up (which, in my personal opinion, is probably because the pure battle royale concept just isn't really very fun).

Retrieving the lava source.

Noticing GBA mining underneath me.

The forest fire.

By this time 22 and Edo's group had already started to build up the wall, even before the snow rise was really forcing the 3D pipe game, which was a problem for me. I realized that my only chance to place decently was to get up the wall above them and flush them out, which I attempted and basically failed besides dropping Edo off his farm. After that I didn't really have a chance to finish close to last.

The wall fort grows.

Snow Hell Nation.

This picture clearly speaks for itself.

After abandoning my attempts at raiding the main wall fort I went after TFP and Nex instead. I ended up dying to being unable to tell where the snow was in water, which apparently was a holdover from it being impossible to make the snow replace non-air blocks in 2018.

Snow beginning to rise above ground.

Nex acted quickly to escape the snow.

TFP was caught on the ground and despite Nex having gotten away first kept claiming he had to save him. I still don't know how he managed to not die.

At around this point the game solidified into a mainly Marioboards team of GBA, TB, Turb, and Uniju and a team of Edo, 22, and their friends from off site, with TFP and Nex as a minor faction and Woglril as an independent. Me, Perch, Pitohui, and Zange had been eliminated. There may have been other players but I don't remember. It isn't really accurate to call the former the "Marioboards" team when Edo and 22 were on the other team and TFP and Nex were on there own, but for simplicity I'm calling it the Marioboards team here.

Marioboards group.

Edo and 22's group.

Uniju and GBA's hot tub as 22 bridged.

Edo and 22's group flanking Marioboards.

After the attack the Marioboards group regrouped with Woglril from what I remember, starting with GBA managing to get to her platform from the respawn airdrop.

Nex and TFP's position was attacked next. Nex had a good opportunity to recover somewhat and drop 22 here but despite me and a bunch of other people yelling at him he didn't manage to take it.

I think this is from the Saving Private TFP arc when TFP and Nex's team sort of joined up with the GBA-TB-Turb-Uniju one.

Woglril tends to do really well in Hunger Games by just ignoring everyone else and turtling (I think she won at least one of the 2016-2018 games) and once again she was one of the last players standing before finally losing to Dodo at the very end.

Top 10 Saddest Battle Royale Ends.
(I just realized I typed "tfp" here instead of "tpg". Their acronyms are too similar. I forget if I corrected myself at the time; I assume I did but I don't think I screenshotted it.)

During and immediately after the final battle.

The result of Hunger Games not clearing inventories.

Closing Ceremony

With Hunger Games finally over, the closing ceremony was held. GBA, Edo, and 22 all spoke and the teleporter back to Princeton was opened, though everyone immediately returned to Feenik afterwards (and I still had the better part of a week's worth of work to do on my sprite) and I don't think anyone has really done anything in Princeton still since games started, although I'm still hoping the FWD/Zange tour happens sometime soon since I love following along on the Princeton tours for newcomers.

Arriving at the gate of Camp Flamingo for the ceremony.

The attendees and speakers.

22 opening the teleporter.

Some lore notes on this, which include spoilers for some Feenik areas and dungeons, for the shrine books, and for the backstory generally, so be aware; I'm not sure how obvious it is from the game itself (I mainly know it from it being mentioned during development), but story-wise the relics are actually extremely dangerous artifacts with a degenerative effect on the world and people around them. This was the cause of the cataclysm mentioned in the scripture books that left Feenik almost uninhabited decades or centuries before we even arrived, the source of the gray ash you can see in the Forsaken Coast, the source of the same ash in one of the rooms in Barbthroat Manor and presumably at least partly to blame for Balthazar von Barbthroat's madness as mentioned in the diary's of the manor's head maid. You can see here as the teleporter is activated, nothing like that is present, but the power of the relics has already started to corrupt the land around it; if you go there now, you'll see the same gray ash and dead plants around it as in the Forsaken Coast.

Heading home.

Back in New Princeton.

An extra hour in the ball pit.

Feenik isekai.

Once again I think this picture speaks for itself.

Additional Days

This will probably be my last screenshot post unless I finish the redstone project I was working on, so I decided to add on some screenshots I took following the games too. They're divided between construction and other games, funny happenings in the Feenik (potentially with minor spoilers), and a record of my further adventures on Feenik (with major spoilers).

Games;

Sprite construction.

Woglril building her demon summoning library.

Demon summoning book.

A few days after games we had some impromptu spleef rounds, including a bracket with me, Boonem, GBA, and Woglril. Boonem beat me in the finals to become the spleef champion.

Funny screenshots;

Looking at Groden through a spyglass.

Mistaken identity.

Fishe.

GBA filled his cabana with fish and you can see one of them clipping from the window of mine.

Why is there a fish on it.

The Gartic Phone experience.

Stuck in a tree.

Stuck in a mine.

Groden is extremely associated with the horse at this point.

The South Sea Drowned spam.

Groden.

Feenik adventures (major spoiler warning);

The infamous Bog jumps. This may have been from when I logged on after logging off there to find that all the platforms had stopped moving and decided to just take it.

Hint art.

Bear rock above the polar bear cave in the meadows.

Dead tree in Forsaken Coast. I think this may be the same one the hint art of the man lying under a tree leads to.

The day after Games ended I was finally able to complete my circumnavigation of the island. Some of these are dupes I believe but this was all the relics and ingredients the successful attempt netted me, including the big relic from East Sea.

Getting Lake's big relic.

Groden inviting me to swim in Vajabaoth's cavern. I was going to jump down to check for red coins even if he hadn't said they might be down there but I still felt stupid falling for it.

After finally getting to the summit of Karda's Peak it became probably my favorite area on Feenik.

Standing on North Sea's big relic in my treasure room.

GBA added this to a house Groden earlier had horseclipped into.

TFP and Nex completing 100%.

Defeating the melon.

Again I believe some of these were dupes, but the results of my swing through Forsaken Coast and the East and South Seas, including South Sea's big relic.

Someone else defeating the melon.

Solving the mystery of the secret path in the fort. I wanted to do it the intended way after inadvertently spoiling myself on what it leads to so I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and eventually did.

Solving Barbthroat Manor. The bits of lore to it were really interesting and even if I knew a bit about the solution to its main puzzle from seeing FWD talk about it I liked it. The candle jumps were easier than I expected from seeing FWD attempt it but I played the loot hunt with the Russian church and he didn't so it seems easier in comparison I guess.

I also recently did the pilgrimage walk around the island visiting the nine shrines (which nets you Forsaken Coast's big relic). The town shrine was apparently the only one I still needed, but I really like the religious lore behind Feenik so I wanted to do the full pilgrimage route in order and read all the books and I did keep going, although I got a little lost looking for the forest one and misremembered there being two in the Forsaken Coast. I did another partial swing around because I decided to transcribe them for myself too. Visiting the forest one at the end actually gave me a second copy of the relic.

According to the church in Forsaken Coast, the pilgrimage was customarily made once a year, so if I remember I'm going to invite people to make it again with me at Games 2022 I think.

Getting Hunting Grounds' big relic after discovering the Creepers in the maze under the meadows (which I haven't completed yet).

Snack

🌻Ashita wa nanika ga kawaru ka na?

Besides my sprite the other thing I wanted to do for construction this year was a seven-segment display. About three years ago I had been working on designing a telegraph that could write messages to memory and replay them to install in New Princeton, but how much space the memory would take up and the fact that an update changed redstone signals to no longer load unloaded chunks made it unworkable and I abandoned the project. I had however figured out how to make a pretty compact memory chip (it was based on a design I found elsewhere but I don't remember where I found it or if I made any developments of my own to it, or what exactly this kind of circuit is called) that turns short and long pulses into 0s (output off) and 1s (output on) and for a while I'd been thinking that the telegraph would make a good Minecraft Games construction entry.

Originally the memory chip was only 7 bits, but I figured out I could expand it to 8 bits which allowed it to store any possible combination on a seven-segment display plus one control bit to tell the input to write to the next byte instead of an already filled byte and decided to make a display instead of a telegraph that just played back 0s and 1s. Originally it was still going to only have binary input with each bit being written individually, but I started wondering how the input could be automated so that a working keyboard could be made and came up with a mechanism to split a short pulse into a timed sequence of eight long and short pulses to write a character to memory with a single button press, and this is the result. It features and 8-digit display that can powered on and off without clearing the memory, with a byte of memory for each digit, a 31-character keyboard (0-9 numerals, space, and all letters of the basic Latin alphabet except K, M, V, W, X, or Z), a binary input mode, and backspace and clear screen keys.

The setup works, and with the addition of a line to automatically unjam some pistons that are used as locks after they kept coming unstuck works pretty reliably, but because of the need to split each signal and properly time them it runs very slowly (there are also a lot of repeaters and the timing on them is somewhat sensitive; I've been troubleshooting the 2 key because it seems to only send 7 digits and not 8 probably due to a timing error somewhere). There is also no buffer, just a straight input inline from the key mechanisms to the memory, so pressing another key before the last character is displayed (at which point it necessarily has to be fully written with the next byte open) will cause errors. If you go to use it, there is a lectern by the keyboard with a user manual that explains most of the display's features and behavior.

The keyboard.

Display power off.

Daytime.

Mechanism for the display. Red, orange, yellow, dark green, light blue, blue, and magenta correspond to bits 2 through 8 (the ones used for encoding the character) for each digit, white is bit 1 and the lines off it that open the memory outputs, close filled bytes, open the following byte once a byte is filled, and lock filled bytes before the one storing the most recently entered character from deleted with the backspace key using pistons, black is the deletion lines (which work by cutting power to a byte until the byte clears), brown is the line for display power (which actually works by powering the pistons that suppress each byte's output until the whole byte is filled), teal is lines that unjam the pistons (because of how the memory works the blocks the pistons can move too fast when a character is being deleted and cause the blocks they move to get stuck, so after a deletion key is pressed it also triggers every piston to ensure nothing is jammed), and light green is the memory chips themselves and the input line.

Closeup of one of the memory chips. The way each chip works is that a powered signal is pushed along the line with powered or unpowered inputs being added behind it. When the powered signal reaches the end, it closes the filled byte, opens the next byte, opens the outputs, and if there is a byte before it closes that byte from being cleared with backspace.

Closeup of the memory input. This detects signal length and converts a short pulse (like a stone button) into a 0 and a long pulse (like a wooden button) into a 1. Near the top of the picture is the block that cuts power to the memory chip to clear it.

The mechanism for the deletion lines. Most of this is for the backspace key to lock previous characters from being deleted. You can see the white and black lines from the display mechanism as well as the teal line at the front. The gray line at the back is the line for the clear key which bypasses the locks and delay lines at the front. Below is the main part of the keyboard mechanism.

Another view of the keyboard mechanism. There are 30 of these boards (the 5 and S keys share a single board as they require an identical input), each with eight lines and 170 repeaters, 168 of which are set to maximum delay, to split and time the input signal, for a total of 5,100 repeaters in 240 lines plus the repeaters used in the signal lengtheners.

The signal lengthener mechanism. This one is on the deletion line to hold the pistons closed longer for reliability, but mostly these are used in the key mechanisms to make part of the input from the key (which is a stone button) emulate a wooden button and be recognized as a 1 instead of a 0.

The keyboard connection. Most of these lines are green and connect each key to its individual mechanism, but you can also see the black and gray deletion lines, a light blue line for binary input, and another green line grouped with the deletion and binary input lines that controls whether character or binary input mode is active.

Continuing adventures on Feenik

I haven't been on Feenik looking for relics in over a week between working on the display/keyboard and writing, but between my last post and when I took a break to do the writing project I was working on at the end of last month I did spend some more time exploring the island. Once again there will be major spoilers in these screenshots.

Very shortly after my last post I found the final hot dog ingredient I needed.

Off to grill.

Getting the hot dog relic.

Forsaken Coast.

Locating the archery challenge.

Forsaken Coast was the first area I fully cleared.

Managed to horseclip in to the why are you like this building myself.

Caught Wogl jumping in to Lost on my way to somewhere else after I warped to my bookmark at its entrance.

Groden gets his 1/8.

Looking for the caverns relic in Hunting Grounds.

South Sea ice floes.

South Sea and Forest were my next area clears. South Sea was mainly because I saw Turb talking about a hint art and made the connection when I saw him clear the area, although it took a while to find the exact spot, but Forest took a few hours of good searching on my own to find two remaining freestanding relics.

I'm still mad at myself that I found the exist to the Rose Maze myself but didn't realize it until Turb came down and I saw him standing on it, but I did get Plains' big relic. I also cleared East Sea.

Clearing Plains.

Found a squid in the Town sewers. I mainly took a picture because I didn't see it moving at first, although it's not like that would've shown up in a static image anyway.

Spotted Turb on the Bog jumps.

Clearing Karda's. I was a bit upset about being spoiled on what hint art went there from reading chat but ended up feeling even worse when, even knowing what area it was in and the place where I was supposed to look, it took forever to actually find where it went, but I did eventually manage to get the last relic I needed there.

Chicken rolling Kanohi.

Turb clears the game.

NPCs glitching.

Conclusion

The Awards have passed by and all the associated tournaments, including Minecraft Games, have now ended play and I've finished the other project I wanted to do for construction, so this board will be closed just as soon as Scribble officially ends and this will be my last post. Sadly construction didn't really get off the ground and there weren't any other sprite entries or formal judging, so I'll have to wait for next year to see if I can get a gold in the one construction category I've never won, but I still had fun with it (although I never would have had time to finish both if it had been only three days like last year anyway).

For Feenik, by my notes I'm at 154 relics, with only 26 left to go for full completion, and six out of fifteen areas fully cleared. Those last few are mainly either hint art relics, purple box relics, or in Bog though, so it's going to be tough. Now that I'm done with this I'll probably give gathering relics another few tries though.

Thank you Edo, 2257, GBA, and everyone else who worked on Minecraft Games this year and, as one of the people who helped out even thought it was mostly limited to patching my games for 1.17, to everyone who showed up. Looking forward to next year.

Last edited: