Mario Awards Scribble Deathmatch - Round 7: Lost To Time - Results!

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Pronouns
He/him
This is indeed a surprising theme by itself, because I remembered back then when the 2019 art contest was cancelled, probably because of how much of a barrier it ended up being. So in a way, it's a continuation of what was set up in days past.

In case anybody was wondering, the 2018 art contest was the first appearance of MarioWare Mario, which somehow ended up being my representation in the community come the 2020 Poll Commitee. The colours were since changed a bit (such as the blue stripe on the helmet), and it was before I got a tablet to be able to optimally put my artistic skills more easily. I doubt I would be able to draw as well as I did without it.

Thank you for reading.

Gabumon

Warlock of Hatsune Miku
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
This is indeed a surprising theme by itself, because I remembered back then when the 2019 art contest was cancelled, probably because of how much of a barrier it ended up being.
Maybe that means it wasn't such a terrible idea after all, and just needed some refinement and a more fitting approach.

Gabumon

Warlock of Hatsune Miku
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Now that voting has concluded, I can finally share an observation I made while looking at this round's entries.

Check this out, I think it's really amusing.

The secret is contained within Hearts' scribble for Round 7.

Now, if you selectively cut out an area of the picture, and make a few minor edits...

!!! IT'S TURB !!! :cheep:

Turb, I'm pretty sure idling in other people's scribbles is illegal.

Queen

Do You Ever Yearn For The Soft Touch Of A Pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Round 7 has now been completed!

I was asked to decouple the results for this final round with the finale post, and happily obliged because I too, am excited to post these results. For our final round, everyone performed admirably, and there were 44 votes, matching last week's total! That extra vote could be any one of you, so thanks to all of you for turning out excellent numbers this whole tourney, An average of 42 votes a week is incredible!

Now, for the Round 7 results, I've put them behind a spoiler table to give you that extra bit of anticipation for the final results of the Scribble Deathmatch. There were no ties, so I've officially retired my chainsaw for this year's event. All players below have earned their last point of the tourney!

Top Row: Moldomre, Fawfulthegreat64, Hooded Pitohui, Waluigi Time, Winstein, Lakituthequick, Power Flotzo, LB
Bottom Row: Mfan, Edo, Toadbert, MCD, Luigi 64DD, Zelen, BBQ Turtle, TPG

The gallery above has been updated to reflect these match-up wins. I will be updating the bracket momentarily to reflect the final results! As there are no more matches, all that remains now is for me to post the finale, and officially conclude the tourney.

In the interim, I humbly invite all of our players and spectators to post their feedback, thoughts and comments about the tourney. I've received quite a number of heartfelt messages regarding this event already, but I definitely want to hear everyone's final opinions and such.

Soon, I'll send out feedback survey regarding the themes, format and restrictions of the tourney this year, and I urge everyone to fill it out, so we can make NEXT YEAR'S Scribble Deathmatch II an even better event than this one!

Once again, this has been one of the grandest events I've had the pleasure of hosting for everyone. From scribblers to spectators, thank you all for participating. Now, onto the winner...

The finale begins... soon...

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Yoshi the SSM
I'm not surprised that I lost my last one. I mean, when you get another meaning for mine when you combine the two together then mine alone and not for the other, you know it's good right? Anyways. It was fun scribbling. And now I get to see my place. Wait. 29? My place number is 29? That is my favorite number. And the reason why it is my favorite number is because October 29 is my birthday. Anyways. I am so happy about this placement. It may be a low spot, but such a good number. Anyways. GGs everyone.

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
Don't have much to say hear other than echoing the other's sentiments, but I really really enjoyed this tourney. The concept was great and very well thought out, and the execution was honestly fantastic. You put so much more work in than the amount needed just to run the tourney and it has greatly benefited the experiences of all the players and made the tourney that much cooler. Thank you, GBA, for all the dedication you've shown for creating the most fun and interesting experience for the players possible.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Pronouns
He/him
Really proud of taking second! This is probably not possible without the circumstances in round 1, where I lost to The Pyro Guy, who is the one that conquered everyone in their way, so I didn't need to face him later. Perhaps luck played a factor in the matchups and the prompts, because they are so far workable. It is, to put it this way, a thrilling ride. I would like to thank @Anton for bringing attention to me on this because the slots filled up so fast, and I might've missed it if it weren't for that.

One thing that really helped is that because others submitted their artworks, I am able to see what were impressive about others in a way that I could incorporate it into my future rounds. For example, one of the things that Edo did is to add a while outline for characters and objects to make it easier to look at, which I did starting from round 5 (the Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach one). I didn't really incorporate everything though, such as multi-coloured lines like was shown in Ninelevendo's Round 7 art or Zelen's Round 7 art. In general, many of the works posted so far have their merits, whether it's a technique in the art or the humour presented in the scribble, which I must say isn't necessarily the easiest for the latter.

It really helped that the colour limitation is in play, because it allowed for other areas to shine, like how to incorporate shading and to make things stand out. I'm sure if there are less limitations, the matches would turn out differently. A lot of people here picked a brighter colour which I think has its merits, but I picked a darker colour because the name starts the same with my username, so I can't really use that colour in the same advantage as the others. I think it worked out in my favour because I felt that I did use the darkness as a strength.

And again, thank you to all that find appreciation and merit in my art!

Thank you for reading.

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Exorcising myself from the robot just to say how special this game was, given how many people have taken part and expressed sheer joy at the whole thing. It's motivated a lot of artists to get back into the ring, there's so much good content here, AND I personally think I've improved in the last 7 weeks. I look forward to what the finale and next year's shenanigans have to offer, because this was a near-perfect event in its concept and delivery.

But until then, I've got one last deathmatch to attend to.

Prince Peach

The Tycoon Tyrant
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Roserade
I've said it before, but I seriously consider it a great honor to have been part of this tournament. Throughout these past seven weeks I have seen some of my favorite art this community has produced, and I've seen the bonds between users this tourney has helped to form and strengthen. Thank you so much to GBA for hosting and putting in your whole heart, and thank you so much to all of the players for putting in just as much heart. The stories you all have helped to tell will stick with me for a long time, and know that you've left me awestruck and inspired.

Though I didn't always win, I had the opportunity to produce some good art, see the incredible art of my peers, and devote myself to a hobby I had long since left behind, and that's what really matters to me.

Dr. Waluigi Frankentime

It was a breakfast smash
Wiki Administrator
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Waluigi Time
This was a blast from start to finish! I really enjoyed getting to make all these scribbles and seeing all the amazing art everyone else came up with, including all the very creative bonus content between rounds! The color palette limitation was something I liked a lot because I had to think outside of the box as to which colors I wanted to use where since generally they weren't going to be perfect matches with whatever I was actually drawing. I know some people have brought up possible changes/additions for potential future Scribble Deathmatches, but honestly I'd be perfectly happy just playing the exact same tournament again (with new prompts, obviously).

And of course a major shout out to GBA for all the work he did in hosting this tournament. Between all seven rounds over 200 prompts were scheduled and sent out, and that's certainly no small feat! Not to mention all the planning that went into the tournament and the artwork he's made for it. He did a phenomenal job and I can't thank him enough for putting all of this together. This was truly a joy to be a part of.

Count Waluigi

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
This tournament has been a blast. There's not much for me to say that others haven't already said, but I definitely enjoyed making all my scribbles and seeing everyone else's great scribbles. It's the first time I've worked with such a strict palette before so you might have been able to tell I was still figuring things out in the first few scribbles and I only started using real shading a few scribbles in :P But it was a learning experience and I'm excited to see what the future holds for this tournament! Great scribbles from everyone all around, and a big thanks to GBA for hosting the tournament. :fawful:

Ruby Kurosawa

"Ganbaruby!"
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Power Flotzo
Now that the tournament is over, time to air my thoughts.

I found this tournament to be a nice change of pace compared to the Art Contests of previous years. In fact, I feel as though my art skills improved a bit, and I did better than I thought I would do going in; I did my ganbaruby and I have no regrets.

I'd like to thank GBA for hosting the first annual deathmatch, as well as everyone else for being such worthy competition and giving me an impetus to start my art thread. So please, give yourselves a pat on the back!

Hearts

Here to do the Thing
I gave some of my thoughts over Discord already but I just want to add that despite me usually only showing up here for KG or voting in Mach Speed Mayhem, it's been great to be a part of this event and witness all the talent and creativity this community has. There were so many well-drawn and amusing scribbles even if I can't pretend that I understood all of the references and inside jokes. I'm glad that people were able to get a kick out of some of mine too.

Big ups to GBA for organizing everything and pouring his own artistic prowess into the assets. I'd definitely consider joining again if a similar event's held in the future.

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him

VALIANTLY FOUGHT, HARBINGER
I HOPE YOU FIND SOLACE IN YOUR ABILITIES. THEY ARE AMONG THE GREATEST I HAVE WITNESSED
NOW COME, LEND ME YOUR POWER LIKE THOSE WHO CAME BEFORE YOU

AS FOR THE STARLIGHT AUTHORITY ABOVE...

I'M FINALLY READY TO TAKE YOU ON AND TAKE YOU OVER! HOW ABOUT ONE LAST WORSHIP BEFORE I SCATTER YOU TO THE FLAMES!!

WITNESS - MY INFINITE RAINBOW FINALE: GOLDEN GODSTOPPER MODE!!!!

SUBJECTS! MY PEOPLE! LEND YOUR MIGHT TO THIS SCEPTRE OF SALVATION!
WE NEED AS MUCH COLOUR AND POWER AS POSSIBLE FOR THIS!! AS YOUR KING, I COMMAND YOU
BRING FORTH ONE FINAL SACRIFICIAL SCRIBBLE OF OUR GOD!

Ninelevendo

Paint
Pronouns
He/him
So while I do have some personal thoughts that I would like to share, I’d like to put those aside for the moment.

Throughout this whole tournament, every single one of us has had a blast. Scribbling with crazy prompts, viewing other peoples images, wholesome or cursed, struggling to decide who to vote for, etc. has made this quite the experience.

Of course, this all wouldn’t have been possible without a dedicated host to set things up, provide rules to ensure a fair experience, create fun prompts to draw, send those prompts to everyone at ridiculous hours of the day, and create polls for participants to vote in. There was clearly a ludicrous amount of work put into this to ensure that everything ran smoothly, and with this many participants, that can’t be easy to do. And yet, here we are, overflowing with positive remarks, with not even a single negative thing to say.

So on behalf of everyone, I would like to say...

Thank You GBAToad!

BBQ Turtle Roserade
A Drawing of the Host, Without Delay
The Pyro Guy Moldomré
Where it all began
fantanoice Hearts
The inner machinations of his mind are an enigma
Anton Mr. Edo
Superchao Ninelevendo
Timezone Crisis
Yoshi the SSM Reverse Input
Summer Pulls
Lakituthequick Smasher
MrConcreteDonkey winstein
IPs that debut on GBA
Toadbert101 Waluigi Time
Goombuigi Fawfulthegreat64
GBA Infinite
Luigi 64DD Hooded Pitohui
Big GBAanges
Zange Alex95
ZelenPixel
Big thanks to Lakituthequick for formatting the table!

Last edited: