Mario Awards Scribble Deathmatch - Round 6: Kaizo MarioWiki - (Submissions)

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
'sup super scribblers

It's been a huge week for me for various reasons so apologies I haven't gotten around to responding/finishing up the sign-ups for this thread, but extra special thanks to the extra reserves!

Unfortunately due to those same reasons, I don't have more details to give yet, just that theme/prompt planning has been underway, but I haven't formatted it in an all gussied up and presentable manner just yet. Very important I do that!

Do note that I'm aiming to have us begin within the next two weeks, hopefully no sooner than Monday, the 14th of June. The real date will be finalised sometime this week based on how much progress I make over the coming days, but just keep that date in mind generally if you somehow can't do the tourney anymore by the time it rolls around. Hopefully I'll have a more substantial update for you all soon, thanks again for signing up!

If you wish to join as a reserve feel free to sign up any time between now and the time we start. :ashley:

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
HEYO SCRIBBLEPEEPS NO THE TOURNEY IS NOT STARTING TOMORROW I WOULDNT DO THAT TO YOU WITH NO WARNING

date was meant to be a rough timeframe for when to prepare, the real start date is June 21!
more details coming early this week, bracket coming by the end of the week, scribbles happening in exactly one week!

Hhgfjhfdfdjhsjdfjdhdfjhadhsgdysgfv content

edit: op also updated!

Last edited:

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
How are the 4 hour slots gonna be picked? because I have IRL stuff to do tomorrow
- Both players in a given matchup will individually agree to a time during the week with the host (they don't necessarily have to be the same time). The prompt will be provided when this time rolls around.
- Players will then have 4 hours to submit their drawing to the host in private. You can provide a title for the drawing if you wish.
You nominate a 4 hour period of time during the week, and I'll send you the prompt when its time.

Once again it's been a busy week, but details on the first round and tourney start are coming later today! When the bracket is up I'll ping people and then slot in/out players as needed.

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
* clicks microphone*

@Mizzlebip, @Roserade, @Shmaluigi, @Hooded Pitohui, @Aru Honshou, @Ninelevendo, @Ernest Fine 2.0, @Kamikokuryo Moe, @Charlie Brown, @Yoshi the SSM, @Reko Yabusame, @Kanata Konoe, @Sou Hiyori, @fantanoice, @Lakituthequick, @BEEEEEAAARRRS, @Varrick, @Moldomré, @MFan168, @Kitchen, @Tails, @Smasher, @Gordon the Big Engine, @Anton, @Kazooie, @Shy Guy on Wheels, @BBQ Turtle, @winstein, @zelen !!, @Red @Lord Bowser

The first round is about to begin! We're now in Round 0, so please, warm up your pencils!

IF YOU NEED TO DROP OUT, PLEASE INFORM ME WITHIN THE NEXT 48 HOURS

* turns off microphone*

First off, I've updated the placeholder second thread post, it has all of the tourney details, so take a look!
https://www.marioboards.com/threads/43896/#post-2275931

Secondly, since people might have forgotten or otherwise didn't know, here's a refresher/rundown of how this is gonna work! You can also find these details in the OP!

Tourney Structure (Real)

- This tournament is about drawing simple doodles relating to a prompt each round, and voting for your favourites in a bunch of 1v1 matchups.
- There are 7 rounds! A schedule for this tourney can be found in the second post of this thread.
- Each round lasts for approximately one week, consisting of a Submission Period and a Voting Period.
- The Submission period will last 5 days (usually Wednesday to Sunday), and the voting period will last 1 day (usually Monday).
- The missing day (usually Tuesday) is to allow cooldown time between rounds, and for polls to be tallied and results to be formatted. For the time being, since there is no vote for this week, you'll have essentially an extra 48 hours to prepare before the first theme is revealed.
- Players will move around a swiss-style bracket until the tourney's completion. Please keep yourself updated on the tourney bracket! You can find it here or in the second post of the thread!

Submitting:
- During the Submission period, I will send out reminder PMs to each player individually. Use that PM chain to tell me what time and date you would like to receive your prompt and draw a small doodle in response, or catch me in one of the various community discords. My timezone is AEST (UTC +10).
- Interpret the prompt as creatively as you like! Voters might appreciate creativity more than actual skill.
- You'll have a window of 5 days to choose a time, including the weekend!
- Please inform me of any difficulties that might prevent you from submitting ASAP!
- Sadly, I do have to sleep, but I might be able to work out a system that allows me to send prompts during hours where I am not available, we'll see!
- You do not have to organise a time with your opponent, only with me, the host. Though, if you'd like to draw with your opponent at the same time, I'm happy to oblige.
- When you receive your prompt, you have 4 hours to send me a finished scribble. Rules for scribbles can be found in the OP.
--- Just remember: 1:1 Ratio, max 600px digital/10cm physical, only 3 Colours!
- If your submission is invalid, you will forfeit the round, as it is difficult to impose a new prompt on your opponent with short notice. For round 1, I will very likely be lenient as people are still working out what to do, but for later rounds this is non negotiable.

Voting:
- At the end of the submission period, all submissions will be put into a Google Form and the link will be provided in the thread.
- As tourney participants, It is expected that you will vote in each round, and for each match-up!
- Spectators may also vote as well!
- Results will be tallied after the 24 hour voting period ends, and posted before the new round begins. We repeat this process for 7 rounds, until the tourney is complete!

Now, this first round is somewhat of a trial run as we figure out if 4 hours is a decent window of time for scribbles and other things, as well as the voting system's mechanics. Expect some turbulence and possible rule changes between Round 1 and Round 2 to accommodate everyone better!

Again, everything can be found in the OP/second post, so be sure to check there if you're unsure or shoot me a DM. Thank you again for participating! Please wait as I try to pick these locks

Round 1 Begins

Last edited:

Ninelevendo

The Hero of Bright Turquoise
Pronouns
He/him
75792981-96CB-4F7F-9149-2BD7C7FD50A2.png

Finally, a worthy opponent. Our battle will be legendary!

And so it appears that I, Ninelevendo, the Hero of Bright Turquoise, am up against Alex95, The Gladiator of Silver. You may be have better armour and be better suited for swordplay, but I am a master of paint, and as everyone knows, the paint is mightier than the sword. May the best man win!

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Legends tell of a grand tournament known as the Scribble Deathmatch that once occurred in an ancient, lost kingdom, the Land of Scribbles.

some say it was drawn in 5 minutes in a rush

This world was peacefully inhabited by residents of every shape and colour, until one fateful day, when its leading ruler, the Grand Benevolent Authority, vanished without a trace. With no immediate successor appointed to rule the Land of Scribbles, a new decree was issued.

A tournament of glory would be held, where only the fairest and strongest combatants from across the land could put their lives on the line for the chance of being the new ruler of the Land of Scribbles.

After a long, colorful battle, only 32 worthy champions remained. Their hopes for the future of the Land of Scribbles had carried them this far, but to continue, they had to keep fighting.

And keep scribbling.

Until only one could be called the true winner of the Scribble Deathmatch.

Click the locks to reveal the first theme!

The first round has begun! I will be sending PMs to all players over the next few hours. Please either use those or catch me in discord to discuss times for scribbling!
Round 1 (Submissions) - -

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Round 1 Submissions have now ended! Thank you to everyone who submitted!

no one will kill me if i end the round 35 minutes early they'll probably kill me if i ended it on time at this point
* screaming *

I've been looking forward to showcase all of these incredible submissions since day one, and now we're here! Only one person did not submit this round, but certain circumstances prevented them from doing so. Considering we have 32 people, that is a fantastic effort from everyone involved!

As an aside, there will be some slight rule clarifications (regarding things like dithering, and fonts) after this round, to adjust for things not accounted for at the start of the round, questions asked by many participants, and some general trends noticed in this round. This is to ensure utmost consistency between physical/digital limitations and to ensure things are fair for all involved. Don't worry! All submissions this round were treated as permissible for the time being with small notes/feedback given.

As stated above, this is part of that expected turbulence as people get in the swing of things. However, I want to emphasise that everyone did an incredibly great job keeping with the rules all around, and I could not have asked for a better set of drawings for Round 1. There shouldn't be any more rule modifications after this!

Now, without further ado, here are the submissions! Every matchup has been formatted in a table with the bracket match number, participants, and prompt.

If an image has a title, it exists as the alt text which you can see by hovering over the image.

The voting form can be found at the end of this post!

Round 1

MATCH 1
WALUIGI TIME vs LUIGI 64DD
COIN
WINNER: LUIGI 64DD

MATCH 2
LAKITUTHEQUICK vs ROSERADE
FLAGPOLE
Supporting Local Artists
WINNER: ROSERADE

MATCH 3
YOSHI THE SSM vs ANTON
LAVA
Zigzag Lava Lair
WINNER: ANTON

MATCH 4
LB vs MOLDOMRE
STAR
WINNER: LB

MATCH 5
SGoW vs FANTANOICE
CANNON
WINNER: FANTANOICE

MATCH 6
POWER FLOTZO vs FAWFULTHEGREAT64
FREEZIE
WINNER: FAWFULTHEGREAT64

MATCH 7
HOODED PITOHUI vs KOOPA CON CARNE
MUSHROOM
WINNER: KOOPA CON CARNE

MATCH 8
PERCH vs ZELEN
WARP PIPE
mama pipe and her piranha plantlets
WINNER: ZELEN

MATCH 9
THE GREEN KNIGHT vs HEARTS
HAMMER
WINNER: HEARTS

MATCH 10
TPG vs WINSTEIN
LIGHTNING
WINNER: TPG

MATCH 11
ZANGE vs EDO
METAL CAP
WINNER: EDO

MATCH 12
GOOMBUIGI vs BBQ TURTLE
? BLOCK
WINNER: BBQ TURTLE

MATCH 13
MFAN168 vs SMASHER
NOTE BLOCK
WINNER: SMASHER

MATCH 14
TURB vs MCD
SUPER LEAF
WINNER: TURB

MATCH 15
ALEX95 vs NINELEVENDO
YOSHI EGG
WINNER: NINELEVENDO

MATCH 16
TOADBERT vs REVERSE INPUT
BRICK BLOCK
WINNER: TOADBERT

The voting for Round 1 has concluded! Thanks to all participants and spectators!

Round 1 Voting ended

Last edited:

Gabumon

Data type
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
These results are very good. Very strong showing as a whole.

It makes me happy to see this community fostering artistic engagement and having brought to light so many talented and competent artists. I am positively flabbergasted (in a good way).

I think I have a favorite this round, but I'm not going to say what it is as to not influence any votes.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Pronouns
He/him
It feels like there are clear winner between certain matchups, but who knows: I am open to unexpected winners!

Thank you for reading.

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
It feels like there are clear winner between certain matchups, but who knows: I am open to unexpected winners!

Thank you for reading.
Thankfully, this is not an elimination tournament, and as the rounds go on it will become much harder to pick winners, so don't be deterred!

I'm impressed with everyone's drawings and echoing the sentiments of Edo above, astounded by the turnout. Everyone should be proud of their work, the tourney wouldn't be what it is without it!

FURTHERMORE, A HUGE SHOUTOUT TO THE ARCHITECT, MR. @Lakituthequick, FOR TEACHING ME SOME FORUM MAGIC AND OFFERING ADVICE THAT MADE ALL OF THESE TABLES POSSIBLE! I literally could not stand to see these images not displayed in a stylish way, so thank you!

Last edited:

GBA

Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
VIBE CHECK - IT'S TIME FOR SOME SCRIBBLE DISCOURSE
PLEASE CHECK FOR NEW RULE ADDITIONS IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS POST

Why did I make this tourney? Because historically, having a full art contest for awards has been shown to be way too much effort for all involved, and the ultimate goal is to be as fun and accessible as possible for artists of all skill levels.

Hence, scribbles. Anyone can take a pencil and a piece of paper and scribble something when prompted. Whether its good or not is subjective, but I'll emphasize here that is the point of this tourney: accessibility for everyone.

Everyone here has access to a drawing software or even pen and paper, and for Round 1 to have nearly everyone submit (with one exception due to technical difficulties), is unprecedented and incredibly encouraging.

However, the spirit of the tourney is a little different to the point of it. The Scribble Deathmatch was inspired by games like scribblio, jackbox, and pictionary, which all have much more limiting restrictions (no tablets, even less time to draw) than this tourney does, while still remaining accessible to everyone, and those games are still very fun! Therefore, I'd say the spirit of the tourney is not the restrictions, but rather the scribbles being freeform and hand-drawn, while also remaining recognisable to the prompt and (optionally) humorous. Capturing that spirit isn't hard at all really, provided you're doing things by hand!

As the TO, it's my opinion that the submissions which pull that off are valid, even if they technically breach the three colour rule when you take a magnifying glass to them because of an anti-aliased brush, or consider interlacing dots to be an additional colour, or any other myriad of technicalities that are ultimately harmless in the big scheme of things.

But, telling people they can't use certain tools because it would go against the spirit of the game is something I'd like to avoid, provided the entries still capture the spirit of being a scribble. Ensuring that things remain fair and balanced is important in a tourney like this, and even though they help facilitate and enforce the spirit, the restrictions for all players aren't meant to be the focus.

So why the three colour rule and size rule? Thematically, it helps distinguish everyone of all skill levels, while keeping submissions looking the same. With a limited palette, people feel less pressured to go all out with their work, and it keeps things relatively simple for everyone. No need to think about color composition or other things when that's already established!

Paradoxically, you are encouraged to go all out so long as you keep in line with the rules. Do not limit your abilities for the sake of drawing kind of worse than your average. That is not the spirit.

I certainly don't want people to feel creatively limited by a game about scribbles, and it's impossible to quantify what is or is not one, as it's all subjective.

With that being said, it wouldn't be a tourney if I didn't have to step in and be bureaucratic about rules. Large breaches of the default restrictions are a different story entirely, since at that point you're missing the point of the tourney and giving yourself an advantage for the sake of the win. Further, ensuring parity with physical submissions may be a low priority since majority of the entrants are digital, but it is nonetheless an important one for the sake of fairness.

Anyway, *cocks gun* onto the adjustments, if you are to read one thing in this post, make it this:

NEW RULE ADDITIONS

No generated font will be allowed in scribbles moving forward, all text must be handwritten. This one is simple, and very fair. Some scribble games don't even allow words, so allowing entirely well formatted and kerned fonts is a bit gratuitous. Apologies!

Excessive copy/paste and cloning will not be allowed in final images. This falls under the generic "don't generate images using photoshop" rule. Small details or portions being duplicated for ease, or things being moved around as you're working is not much of a cause of concern, since those conveniences are just part of working digitally, but if you're submitting a fully patterned/cloned image using one small portion of your drawing, that would be against the spirit of things and probably not permissible. On that note,

Interlacing dots of your colours cannot be automated, it must be done by hand. A similar principle to above, but one that's harder to monitor. See notes below for more details

CLARIFICATIONS

Line tools/Shape tools are not banned. Neither are fill tools.
I would like to encourage people to consider practicing free-form line strokes and such, but wouldn't want to discourage people from participating because they can't draw a straight line, a circle, or colour in, so these are totally fine. Rulers, stencils, and other tools of that kind for physical submissions are also obviously fine.

As before, I am reassuring everyone that anti-aliasing is not banned, but will be looked at on a case-by-case basis. I encourage people to use a hard-edge brush to ensure 100% compatibility with their submissions, that way there is no room for doubt. However, drawing at a larger scale and scaling down with anti-aliasing is simply NOT acceptable, and will be cause for disqualification in all subsequent rounds. Start with 600px x 600px, and you cannot go wrong.

I have to assess each artwork on a case-by-case basis regardless, so adding additional parameters to look out for isn't much of an issue on my end, but I hope it doesn't scare anyone into thinking this tourney is too complicated to be in. As always, if you have any questions, it's my job as a TO to ensure your submissions are in line with the spirit of the game.

ON SHADING/ANTI-ALIASING:

As an aside, shading in general is a bit of a weird concept to handle here, since in the original games this tourney is based on, you don't really have time for it while scribbling unless you're really extra. Since you have 4 hours here, shading obviously becomes a consideration, so the practice isn't banned at all. Not required or anything, but, it's certainly not discouraged to make your drawings stand out with the three colours you're given.

With a limit to only three colours though, you have to consider how shading might clash with the three colour rule in ways you probably don't intend, and for the most part, it's fine.

The only issue I'd say exists is when you're using it to circumvent the three colour rule in one particular instance. Please observe this example done up by The King, TPG.

You might be familiar with this technique if you've played Flipnote Studio or its variants. At first glance you might think the image violates the three colour rule, but if you zoom in, it's an illusion created by the interlacing of dots of two colours. Using this effect, you can essentially create additional colours outside of your nominated colour and the default black/white, while still technically being in line with the rules. This violates the spirit of the tourney I feel, but not in a way that's of malintent.

This is a kind of effect that resembles gradient shading, which is already treated a bit differently in this tourney due to the three colour rule. Already, I've placed a certain caveat on excessive amounts of this shading by pencils for breaching the three colour rule, so its no different here since the effect is roughly the same as gradient shading physically, hence it will be restricted.

It's a bit of a hard call, hence I had to default to "is doing interlaced dots something a physical entry could replicate without tools", and my answer is "not really, but gradient shading is similar". Hence, it will be treated as a special form of stipling-style shading at a 1px level, though, it must be done by hand (placed pixel-by-pixel) and not generated. Excessive (and varied) amounts of this shading will be suspect as a result.

I would encourage the use of larger pixels to achieve a similar effect if you want to ensure full acceptability.

If you're looking for vague examples of what positively enforced shading techniques exist (there's a bunch of them but imo they all serve roughly the same purpose if you're not drawing with pencil), I've drawn a simple guide that might be of use. All of the below techniques are encouraged, though probably at a better level than what I've done in literally 3 minutes here (I've also only used two colours so you'll have to use your imagination).

In a similar vein, as stated above, anti-aliasing is not an issue I'm carefully monitoring with a magnifying glass like some kind of snob. I've tried to encourage everyone to draw without anti-aliasing brushes to ensure you're fully compliant with the three colour rule and not suspect for having your entry rejected, but I understand the limitations of certain drawing programs and have generally tried to be helpful with people pulling off the artistic style.

Since some people asked me what anti-aliasing is, here's the best diagram I can find to explain the differences. Anti-aliasing is an effect that softens the edges around your lines by using a gradient, which lets you perceive a finer/softer brush than one with a hard edge.

As you can see, the latter is clearly not using three colours. Is this cause for disqualification? Not really, unless the blurred edges are being used to shade, which can definitely be constituted as breaching the three colour rule, in a similar vein to the interlaced pixels above.

Anti-aliasing also occurs when you're drawing irl, whether you like it or not, hence, I'm very lax about it for digital submissions, except when it comes to gradients and such. It can also occur when you take a large image and scale it down with various types of interpolation, as shown below.

This is why I have to be careful when looking at submissions that use anti-aliasing, because the one thing I really dont want to waver on is the size of people's canvas without them having a very, very good reason.

Blah! Some people might disagree with me on this, but for the most part, I've seen a majority agreement on it which is why I'm making it clear now to avoid any confusion later. If you read all of this, congratulations, you have earned my respect (the market value of my respect fluctuates depending on how many times I use a discord nitro emote)

FINAL WORDS

My advice is to follow the rules as best you can. It's really that simple. A clearly well-thought out, hand drawn attempt at a scribble that has a bit of anti-aliasing or other rule breaches will likely not cause me to bat an eye, as it is in the spirit of the tourney, but from artists who I know can do incredible things already, I might be a little tougher. Treat it like a challenge in that regard, and think about what matches the spirit of the tourney. At the same time, and kind of paradoxically, do not limit your abilities for the sake of the scribble!

If you have any questions or need more advice, just DM me and I'll be happy to help!!!!!

I'll also requote my advice in the OP for people who might have missed it as well:

ADVICE FOR PARTICIPATING

Because we have community members with various operating systems and accessibility, restricting everyone to one drawing platform is more than a little difficult. However...

The pencil tool is your friend!
Most drawing programs offer a brush with a hard edge that remains a consistent colour (no anti-aliasing), normally known as the Pencil tool (or Pixel Pen). This is the kind of digital brush recommended for drawing in this contest. Setting your canvas size to 600x600 and using only the pencil tool with three colours will keep you in the clear for appropriate submissions. As we have physical submissions, which by nature aren't one solid colour on the edges, using an anti-aliased brush isn't strictly cause for disqualification, provided you aren't doing massive amounts of gradient shading with its blurred edges. This guideline is to keep entries mostly consistent with the three colour rule and examples shown!

I am definitely not an expert here, but here are some recommendations for free-to-use drawing software:

- Microsoft Paint - the classic, installed on all Windows operating systems. The only problem with MS Paint is that it does not support Hex Codes, only RGB/HSL values. Most online colour picker programs allow you to input Hex codes to get these values, so just be sure to convert them properly and you'll be fine!
- Oekaki.nl - an online drawing program well suited to doodling. Choose the Blush program, and then set the canvas size to 600x600 before beginning to draw with the pencil tool. You can save your drawing by printing your screen and cropping it in whatever image editor you please (there is no save function). You do not need to sign up or submit images to the gallery, print screening is fine and encouraged by their FAQ.
- GIMP - the classic secret santa gift. Operates similarly to Photoshop, works on Linux systems and is free to download. Supports various file types.
- Paint 3D - the hidden, better version of Microsoft Paint. There is a Hex code inputter for colors, but when drawing with this software, do not use the pencil, but rather the Pixel Pen, and you can adjust your canvas size with one of the option tabs in the top part of the screen.
- you can draw in real life that's okay - unless you live in a dystopia, paper and marker are easy to come by. Just make sure you cut it to be a square and doodle your heart out!

Other examples include: Paintbrush (for MacOS), paint.net, and Krita.

I'm willing to be lenient on the program you use, so long as you can restrict yourself to three colours resembling white/black/your chosen colour and maintain the doodle style!

Once again, thank you to all participants for signing up for this tourney. It's been a blast so far, and now that the turbulence is out of the way, we can hopefully continue to enjoy the remainder of the event! PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE QUITE A FEW OF THESE MATCHES ARE VERY CLOSE * SCREAMING *

When judging submissions, I encourage everyone to vote with that scribble spirit in mind as well! This does NOT mean to be more critical of highly-detailed submissions, but rather, what's in line with the rules. Thank you!

Last edited: