Idea: Art Tourney!

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
So, my idea is to hold an artistic tournament.
It requires 16-32 people, and will consist of randomized matches, tournament tree style (I think that's what it's called lol), judged by me and someone else if they want to help out. Each round will have a theme that will be a phrase with three parts, each randomized from a list to create many different possibilities for what you may have to draw.

Any two-dimensional artistic medium is allowed; the most common of which would be drawing, painting, digital art, pixel/sprite art, or watercolors. Sculpture, carving, 3d models, etc. are NOT allowed.
Contestants will have 1 week to finish their submissions and turn them in for each round, and the best of each pair will move on.
The winner will receive one of my trademark snazzy userbars, and something else if I can think of a thing that's in my jurisdiction to reward you with.

This serves as both a thread to see if people would be interested in participating and for people to sign up in advance, If they want to.

Potential Contestants:

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
question: why are 3 dimensional mediums completely disallowed?
I think 3d mediums could have advantages or disadvantages or certain limitations that 2d might not have. It's also easier to judge if the mediums used are two dimensional. However, a 3d style could be used in a 2d medium or perspective.
isn't this just art contest but bad
This is my first awards so I wouldn't know how that works, could you tell me the general gist of it so I could compare?
Also calling this bad is kinda mean :/

Luz Noceda

Certified Blightsexual
Pronouns
He/him
This is my first awards so I wouldn't know how that works, could you tell me the general gist of it so I could compare?
This is pretty much the exact same as art contest, except you're banning an entire form of artwork (i.e. physical items such as knitted plushes)

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Well, I'm not sure that this whole "tournament" setup would work for art. (Art Contest functioned on a "1st, 2nd, 3rd" basis)
My idea is a... Oh yeah I remember the name
A tournament bracket.
People will be put in matches against someone else.
Each pair will have a different theme based on these;

Round 1 (Preliminaries) - Random Madness
A three-part sentence with each part being randomized. You could get "Mario attacks Bowser" or "Minecraft Steve eats a Deku Tree".
Round 2 (Quarterfinals) - Indie Games
Picked from a list of different indie games.
Round 3 (Semifinals) - Crossover Showdowns
Two random characters facing off in a random location.
Round 4 (Finals) - To Be Revealed
Kept a secret for now!

So person A and person B will have the same theme and the person who makes the best art based on it advances to the next round.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Heya! I ran the last big art contest here several years in a row, with the last one successfully happening in 2018. The one in 2019 simply did not get enough interest, and I did not run one in 2020. I do not have plans to run one this year, so one is welcome to pop up.

Some big questions and comments, though, in anticipation of potential follow-up:

*16-32 people required is kind of an absurd amount given our historical participation numbers. I understand that to form a bracket you need certain and exact numbers, but perhaps that means it should not be a bracket.

*Rapid-fire (weekly?) art contests is a significant amount of work and potential stress on artists during an already busy time, and I would recommend keeping it to a single entry during a time span that avoids other events going on for Awards during this season, namely the presentation work period from July 16th - August 13th.

*You, and maaaaybe one other person, being the judge hardly seems balanced. What's your taste like? Subjectivity? Checks and balances? What's your criteria?

*The ones I ran allowed any artistic medium; while 2D digital and traditional art is most common, we have had 3D in the form of sculptures, figures, plushes, videos, I even made a cake. With an already limited pool of potential participants, it's best to not exclude anything, but I acknowledge advantages and simple wow factors that one may intrinsically have over another, and is something that will need to be dealt with when it comes up.

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
Heya! I ran the last big art contest here several years in a row, with the last one successfully happening in 2018. The one in 2019 simply did not get enough interest, and I did not run one in 2020. I do not have plans to run one this year, so one is welcome to pop up.

Some big questions and comments, though, in anticipation of potential follow-up:

*16-32 people required is kind of an absurd amount given our historical participation numbers. I understand that to form a bracket you need certain and exact numbers, but perhaps that means it should not be a bracket.
I can bump that down to 8, but I really liked my ideas for the bracket and the match themes I had thought up in particular.

*Rapid-fire (weekly?) art contests is a significant amount of work and potential stress on artists during an already busy time, and I would recommend keeping it to a single entry during a time span that avoids other events going on for Awards during this season, namely the presentation work period from July 16th - August 13th.
If I'm going for 8 people, 2 or even 3 weeks could be managable. Anyone can participate, as well, they don't have to be good at art! Even just a little doodle is ok, though it is unlikely to win, it's the spirit of it that matters :P

*You, and maaaaybe one other person, being the judge hardly seems balanced. What's your taste like? Subjectivity? Checks and balances? What's your criteria?
I'll try finding some more judges, maybe you could help since you seem to have experiences in stuff like this?

*The ones I ran allowed any artistic medium; while 2D digital and traditional art is most common, we have had 3D in the form of sculptures, figures, plushes, videos, I even made a cake. With an already limited pool of potential participants, it's best to not exclude anything, but I acknowledge advantages and simple wow factors that one may intrinsically have over another, and is something that will need to be dealt with when it comes up.
Based on reaction, I think that allowing 3d is probably the best move for me right now.
I put my responses in red. Feel free to let me know if you have any other thoughts! :D

Queen

Do You Ever Yearn For The Soft Touch Of A Pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
not to tread on any toes, but here's an alternative low-entry-level art contest idea i had, i'm happy to co-host this if a few of its ideas are ironed out (also a few people nudged me to post this here when i talked about it so it seems the interest is already there)

anyway:

inspired by the fast-paced drawings in pictionary, scribblio, jackbox, what have you (not necessarily the gameplay, but rather the Aesthetic): if you state upfront that the intended art style/medium is meant to be scribbles and not massive detailed, color art, you will easily get more sign ups/more submissions from casual artists and people who dont want to put that much effort into a full art-contest commission

-- running with that theme, and your suggested idea of having a bracket, run the tournament in a similar vein to the Smash Bros tournaments of year's past, where
----- a tournament bracket is drafted of weekly 1v1 "matches", you come up with the "theme" for each week
----- player agree on a time of the week to fight each other for the tournament, and on their decided upon day, you provide them with a prompt relating to the weekly theme. simple words or phrases would be effective.
----- both players must doodle something related to the prompt you provide within 24 hours. it can be like, an abstract connection, or directly relating to the overall theme for each week
----- by only providing the prompt in secret when their match time is decided, you effectively cap their drawing time at something quantifiable, and can have different prompts for each pair.
----- when both submissions are received judge them based on whatever criteria you define (you could do things like humour, relativeness to the prompt, etc), and pronounce a winner, so that both players can progress further into the bracket
--------- Anton did mention that judging is based on taste, so having a wider panel of judges OR perhaps letting the images be judged by public polls would be better, but regardless this part needs to be hammered out a bit more
----- try to aim for each player to submit one thing per week, but if people are ahead of schedule, you can do the thing where you let two players who are slightly ahead of everyone do their match to determine the outcome, etc etc.
----- depending on how many people sign up, you could do a round robin format OR an elimination bracket, but preferably one without elimination unless theres too many players
----- whoever has the highest score or wins the bracket or whatever wins the tournament, blah

talent levels will differ, obviously there is no quantifiable way to limit people to the same art style aside from providing some examples and setting a time limit but
----- limiting the maximum canvas size to something small will discourage giant drawings and hence less details
----- limiting players to black, white, and ONE COLOUR that they sign up with will allow for people to remain thematically creative without going too overboard

so like, what you end up with is a fast-ish tourney of quick draw where people are told to doodle their best, and it should be fun and easy

to provide an example of how this might work:
two players are in bracket 1, and the theme for the week is "Mario Items"
the pair tell you on a specific day during that week that they'd like to begin their duel, so you give them their prompt on the allotted day, which is "Mushroom"

Player 1 signed up with the colour red (probably better to limit this to hex codes but for ease ill just say red), and Player 2 signed up with the colour gold, and their submissions came in on time:

from here, use your judging system or whatever to determine who won the match and progress them in the tournament accordingly. for my money i think a public poll would be better but setting that up might be a nightmare so who knows!

either way, i think the overall concept of an art tourney with a bracket is interesting, but you need to gauge your audience and potential community participation a bit better. even getting people to do art for official outlets like presentations and the shroom is hard, so doing it weekly seems like a nightmare unless its low effort!

Yoshi Star Galaxy

Now on the Wii
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
InsaneBlathers
not to tread on any toes, but here's an alternative low-entry-level art contest idea i had, i'm happy to co-host this if a few of its ideas are ironed out (also a few people nudged me to post this here when i talked about it so it seems the interest is already there)

anyway:

inspired by the fast-paced drawings in pictionary, scribblio, jackbox, what have you (not necessarily the gameplay, but rather the Aesthetic): if you state upfront that the intended art style/medium is meant to be scribbles and not massive detailed, color art, you will easily get more sign ups/more submissions from casual artists and people who dont want to put that much effort into a full art-contest commission

-- running with that theme, and your suggested idea of having a bracket, run the tournament in a similar vein to the Smash Bros tournaments of year's past, where
----- a tournament bracket is drafted of weekly 1v1 "matches", you come up with the "theme" for each week
----- player agree on a time of the week to fight each other for the tournament, and on their decided upon day, you provide them with a prompt relating to the weekly theme. simple words or phrases would be effective.
----- both players must doodle something related to the prompt you provide within 24 hours. it can be like, an abstract connection, or directly relating to the overall theme for each week
----- by only providing the prompt in secret when their match time is decided, you effectively cap their drawing time at something quantifiable, and can have different prompts for each pair.
----- when both submissions are received judge them based on whatever criteria you define (you could do things like humour, relativeness to the prompt, etc), and pronounce a winner, so that both players can progress further into the bracket
--------- Anton did mention that judging is based on taste, so having a wider panel of judges OR perhaps letting the images be judged by public polls would be better, but regardless this part needs to be hammered out a bit more
----- try to aim for each player to submit one thing per week, but if people are ahead of schedule, you can do the thing where you let two players who are slightly ahead of everyone do their match to determine the outcome, etc etc.
----- depending on how many people sign up, you could do a round robin format OR an elimination bracket, but preferably one without elimination unless theres too many players
----- whoever has the highest score or wins the bracket or whatever wins the tournament, blah

talent levels will differ, obviously there is no quantifiable way to limit people to the same art style aside from providing some examples and setting a time limit but
----- limiting the maximum canvas size to something small will discourage giant drawings and hence less details
----- limiting players to black, white, and ONE COLOUR that they sign up with will allow for people to remain thematically creative without going too overboard

so like, what you end up with is a fast-ish tourney of quick draw where people are told to doodle their best, and it should be fun and easy

to provide an example of how this might work:
two players are in bracket 1, and the theme for the week is "Mario Items"
the pair tell you on a specific day during that week that they'd like to begin their duel, so you give them their prompt on the allotted day, which is "Mushroom"

Player 1 signed up with the colour red (probably better to limit this to hex codes but for ease ill just say red), and Player 2 signed up with the colour gold, and their submissions came in on time:

from here, use your judging system or whatever to determine who won the match and progress them in the tournament accordingly. for my money i think a public poll would be better but setting that up might be a nightmare so who knows!

either way, i think the overall concept of an art tourney with a bracket is interesting, but you need to gauge your audience and potential community participation a bit better. even getting people to do art for official outlets like presentations and the shroom is hard, so doing it weekly seems like a nightmare unless its low effort!
That idea's pretty nice
For some reason I really like the ideas I came up with that I posted earlier so I want to use at least some of them
And maybe the finals can allow people to make more full-color detailed art and give them longer to do it, if they want to? I'd also like to preserve the finals idea I had cause I think it would work really well

Anyway I'll keep that suggestion in mind! :D

Count Waluigi

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
If I may offer input here. I feel like the reason the last Art Contest didn't have the turnout it used to is because it placed additional themes for the art. For me personally, I didn't sign up that year because I didn't think I could work well enough within those bounds, I much preferred the broader "Mario/wiki community-related work" which put far less restriction on what could qualify. So I think if a revival were to happen, it should use the same formula that we used in 2018 and earlier.

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
I'd sign-up as a judge, as I suck at art, and that's an understatement. It's a wonder I got my issue 171 picture to look somewhat nice (and you'll see it in issue 171, you're gonna like it!). Of cource, I'm biased for Kirby and against Link, but all judges are biased in some way, so what ya gonna do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?