Pokemon Life (rules and sign-ups) (CANCELED)

What reigon?

• Kanto

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Johto

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
To put it simply, I wanted to play this game called Pokemon Life, but I didn't wanna print out everything, so I'm going online and having others play it! The way this will work is basically you'll be given a time frame when you can take your turn (Because I'm having a schedule this summer), submitting actions via the game thread, where I'll do the action and tell you the results. there are only three requirments to participate, 1: You have to be online regularly, at least once per non-night hour is a good baseline; 2: you have to have a time zone close to mine so that minimal timing errors occour, mine is EDT; and 3: you have to be up for reading the rules at their website, as I don't want to go into every single little detail. Sign-Ups are open right now, with up to 5 players being able to play, and any sign-ups after that will be replacments. You can also specify to be a replacment and not a begining player if you so choose. This is the easiest way for me to gauge interest for something like this, as if enough people sign up, I know there's enought interest for a game to start. Idk when the game will begin, I'll let you know once I'm done with testing season (Possibly sooner). Oh yea also anybody not playing the game (besides me obviously) can't post in the game thread, though once the game begins (if I get enough interest), this thread will become a lobby where people can express their thoughs and feelings on the game. Hope you have fun! (Also a co-host would be nice but I don't need one)

Players:
  1. Toadettefan (Unicycle)

Replacments:

Last edited:

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
3: you have to be up for reading the rules at their website, as I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure them
Hey, Kirbyo, with all due respect, I think this is a bit of a red flag worth addressing.
While it's true hosting anything is going to come with a bit of a learning curve, generally speaking, you should really make sure you know the rules of what you're hosting really well before you try to host it yourself. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, and don't have a clear, solid plan for how you want this game to evolve, I would really recommend you hold off on hosting it.

Just know that because of my current IRL situation, this game can be canceled at any point in time, without warning.
Going further, while this might be acceptable on, say, the roleplay board, you should not be committing to hosting an Awards tournament or game if you know there's a strong possibility you won't be able to deliver. This is not something people are jumping in and out of as they are able. It's a game people are signing up, expecting to play. You as a host have a responsibility to deliver. Emergencies happen, but that's a different experience than saying "I may not finish the game" from the outset.

If you would like to host an Awards game, I suggest starting with something simple, that you know very well (it helps if you've played it yourself before), and that you have a clear vision for (i.e., you know how you want to structure it.). I'd also recommend gauging interest before you commit to it. You notice how, for instance, TPG is gauging interest and getting feedback before putting up his Hint Hunt game? That's a good approach. Find out what people want, let them voice concerns with your plans and help you clean them up.

Maybe there's a game you know better you could make a tournament out of. And maybe you could even reach out to a more experienced user and ask them - and remember to be respectful of their time and their right to say "sorry, no" - if they might be willing to help you cohost an event.

I'm not the Awards Director or a moderator or anything, so this isn't "hey, you can't do this," but this is an attempt to offer some advice and help you out.

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Hey, Kirbyo, with all due respect, I think this is a bit of a red flag worth addressing.
While it's true hosting anything is going to come with a bit of a learning curve, generally speaking, you should really make sure you know the rules of what you're hosting really well before you try to host it yourself. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, and don't have a clear, solid plan for how you want this game to evolve, I would really recommend you hold off on hosting it.

Going further, while this might be acceptable on, say, the roleplay board, you should not be committing to hosting an Awards tournament or game if you know there's a strong possibility you won't be able to deliver. This is not something people are jumping in and out of as they are able. It's a game people are signing up, expecting to play. You as a host have a responsibility to deliver. Emergencies happen, but that's a different experience than saying "I may not finish the game" from the outset.

If you would like to host an Awards game, I suggest starting with something simple, that you know very well (it helps if you've played it yourself before), and that you have a clear vision for (i.e., you know how you want to structure it.). I'd also recommend gauging interest before you commit to it. You notice how, for instance, TPG is gauging interest and getting feedback before putting up his Hint Hunt game? That's a good approach. Find out what people want, let them voice concerns with your plans and help you clean them up.

Maybe there's a game you know better you could make a tournament out of. And maybe you could even reach out to a more experienced user and ask them - and remember to be respectful of their time and their right to say "sorry, no" - if they might be willing to help you cohost an event.

I'm not the Awards Director or a moderator or anything, so this isn't "hey, you can't do this," but this is an attempt to offer some advice and help you out.
Ok, I'll read the rules and make sure I can do this. Also I would like to do it mainly while I'm at home and not at my dad's workplace, but I am going to a mation (or manor) for vacation, so yea I'll just remove that...

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
When did this happen?
I just downloaded the other boards and they didn't want to work. Kanto still works though. If Johto gets enough votes, then I'll try and fix it, but the main website doesn't seem to have anything on the Kalos and Hoenn side of things, so they're still out.

Molly Hale

Princess of the Crystal Tower
Pronouns
She/her
Kirbyo, I don't think anyone else is interested in this, even though you made a profile post about it and you made a tips thread about it. I wonder what's making everyone but me not interested in it. Maybe you can see why they won't participate, ok?

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Kirbyo, I don't think anyone else is interested in this, even though you made a profile post about it and you made a tips thread about it. I wonder what's making everyone but me not interested in it. Maybe you can see why they won't participate, ok?
How do I do that? Make a profile post, perhaps?

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
You should cancel it sooner, Kirbyo. Many awards games start in early or mid-June and our shilling for this game just isn't working no matter how much we try. It's better if we cancel it sooner.
Ok, I'll change it to be one week sooner, should it be two?