Super Mario Hint Hunt (INTERMISSION)

Which game do you want to hunt hints in?

• Mario Odyssey

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other (let me know in the thread and I'll put it in the poll)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Luigi's Mansion

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3D World Hub

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
A little under 2 weeks until the first batch goes live :buzzy: there's some pretty neat Hints lined up so far, it's looking like it'll be at least 10 of them for this first round, with at least 6 for Origami King. Prepare your sleuthing mindset!

Unlike 2018's hunt, these Hints will be posted publicly, so anyone can take a crack at solving them if they want to.

As a sneak preview, here's all the solutions, scrunched down into 45 pixels. Try and reverse engineer the scrunching for an extra 100 points!

1622380146262.png

disclaimer if you successfully reverse engineer the scrunching you will be disqualified for discovering my secrets

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Round 1 is here! You have exactly two weeks to solve all of these strange and esoteric puzzles, lest you face extermination by the secret contract I hid in the sign-up page. Solve these within one week, and you get full points! After one week, I will publish extra guidance, which may help you complete the hunt, but will reduce your total point score. Sleuth wisely, my friends, and happy hunting. Remember to check the original post if you can't recall the rules.

To fully solve these Hints, you must have access to:
*A computer of some kind (with access to a keyboard and internet browser with URL editing)
*Basic image editing software (where you can paste and move images around. Something as simple as Microsoft Paint will do the trick)
*The full world of Paper Mario: The Origami King. The answers to the Hints can be found all across the game.
*For Super Mario Odyssey, you should have completed the game and unlocked all Moon Rocks. If you have not and are unable to do so, let me know and I will make custom hints that cater to your progress in the game.

ROUND 1: THE ORIGAMI KING

BONUS CLUE: It's just the location I'm looking for, not a specific event. Don't worry if you can't get the other characters to match up with the hint.

:buzzy: - :buzzy: - :buzzy:
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ |

|

BONUS CLUE: Same as the bonus clue for Hint 1.

BONUS CLUE: I want a SPECIFIC location. Think fractal.

BONUS CLUE: People had a lot of trouble with the Shovel Knight themed question last time, but that's not the case here. I'll have to make it harder next time!

(There's no bonus clue.)

???? ???? ???? ????

THE CODE THE CODE THE CODE

BONUS CLUE: You should almost certainly be able to recognise the final clue given once you solve all of these ones. It's quite famous!

BONUS HINTS: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY

Where might I find the garb of one Mr. Flintstone?

BONUS CLUE: It's a genuine question.

"Now, for your driving practical test, we will start at the entrance to the Slot Machine building. Please face East.

Take the second right.

Great! Now, take the first left.

Follow this road, whatever twists and turns it may throw at you. Turn right at the end of the road.

Awesome work. Now, keep on going. I'd like you to head left at the Y junction.

Keep left, and stop at the first four-way junction you see.

Park your vehicle on the dark grey patch! It's got some right angles, you'll know when you see it."

BONUS CLUE: Not much else I can say. You'll know if you're right if the dark grey patch matches the description.

BONUS CLUE:
A lot of you have figured out what the number means, but it's not just that. Colour is important!

The thread?

But x must be a positive number, of course.

The post?

Take the year the first Hint Hunt was launched. Then, append a certain number. This number must be the square root of the product of 149 and 596. This is all you need to know.

Now please, I ask of you. Can you reduce this content into simple text? Yes? No? It matters not. Or does it? I only seek the answer to the question found uponce pressing the third Spoiler in this sequence. Please, I beg you. I need this riddle solved, or I may face death.

BONUS CLUE: Formatting for forum URLS:

There's a couple of red herrings in this one. Strike through the riddle!

Finally, I'm not deducting points for using a calculator or online tool to solve these numbers. Maths isn't for everyone, after all.

@Hooded Pitohui
@Lakituthequick
@Charlie Brown
@Aru Honshou
@Falinks
@Gordon the Big Engine
@Fabulous King Pringles
@Count Olaf

Hop to it, sleuths!

Last edited:

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I've edited a few notes on how to submit answers into the original post, but you can also see them here for clarity. @Falinks @SuperShyGuy

How to submit answers
You have a few options for doing this. I'll accept any clear image of the answer you have in mind. So, you can take a screenshot of the answer and upload that to the internet, to copy and send to me here.

Or, you could just use a phone or other camera to take a picture of your Switch, so long as it's easy to see the game screen. This may be easier if you have no options for transferring screenshots to this forum.

Or! You could take a screenshot on your Switch. If you have an SD card inside, you can save the image to that card, and then put the card in your computer or phone to upload here. You have quite a few options for transferring images of the game to this forum!

All things considered, PRIVATELY MESSAGE ME the answers you have (via this forum, or Discord, whatever is easiest), whatever the format! If I catch you publicly sharing answers, I will feel really sad. And then you'll feel sad. This should be avoided at all costs!

Kirbyo

writing for the `Shroom, saving Popstar from doom
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
I've edited a few notes on how to submit answers into the original post, but you can also see them here for clarity. @Falinks @SuperShyGuy

How to submit answers
You have a few options for doing this. I'll accept any clear image of the answer you have in mind. So, you can take a screenshot of the answer and upload that to the internet, to copy and send to me here.

Or, you could just use a phone or other camera to take a picture of your Switch, so long as it's easy to see the game screen. This may be easier if you have no options for transferring screenshots to this forum.

Or! You could take a screenshot on your Switch. If you have an SD card inside, you can save the image to that card, and then put the card in your computer or phone to upload here. You have quite a few options for transferring images of the game to this forum!

All things considered, PRIVATELY MESSAGE ME the answers you have (via this forum, or Discord, whatever is easiest), whatever the format! If I catch you publicly sharing answers, I will feel really sad. And then you'll feel sad. This should be avoided at all costs!
Also, you can take a picture of them using the picture button, upload them to your phone, and then, using email, send them to your computer to download and send!

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
About 57 hours (2 and a bit days) until the second set of Hints are released! These will guide you further towards the correct answer, but anything received after this will not get maximum points.

Right now, I'm still waiting on a handful of Sleuths to send anything in. There's still time after the second set goes out, but some of these are pretty easy already - a no-effort bundle of points ready to be collected.

And for spectators, there's nothing stopping you from having a go too, of course. Take a crack and send in your answers, if you have the time!

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
@Hooded Pitohui @Lakituthequick @Charlie Brown @Falinks @Gordon the Big Engine @Fabulous King Pringles @Count Olaf @Ninelevendo

The Round 1 Hints have been updated with BONUS CLUES - check the start of the thread or the original Hint post to find updated guidance on solving the hints.
All correct answers submitted from now on will get 2 points instead of three. If you've already submitted something but have changed your mind, that's fine too! Just message me with your updated submission. Apologies for being late, I was taking a holiday in the mountains with no signal!

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Alright, that's time!

Submissions for Round 1 are now closed. Good work, sleuths - I'll be shortly posting correct answers, walkthroughs, and the current ranking for everyone. Alongside that I'll be asking for feedback from the players and spectators, too.

Another thing - @Charlie Brown and @Gordon the Big Engine, I didn't end up getting anything from you guys. Are you still able to play, or should I take you off the notification list?

In general, I'm down to continue the game as-is, but if you (or people who want to play but can't for whatever reason) have any suggestions to better increase engagement, or if there's a thing I should be doing that makes you want to play, then let me know.

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Well, I just like to say: I feel like things are good as is, and I think I just wasn't smart enought to solve hints 5, 6, and bonus 4 (though I'll figure out that once awnsers are posted), but I feel like I was at a slight disadvantage for hint 3, as the bonud hint said to think of fractals, and I've only just graduated from 8th grade and don't know much about fractals! What I'm trying to say is: please don't use any math that's high school or higher, as I don't really know that stuff yet.

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Here's the answers!

ROUND 1: THE ORIGAMI KING

It's just recognising the scene in Chapter 1. The NPCs, green grass and mountainous terrain give it away.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ |

|

Pattern recognition! The buzzies correspond to the statues, and the red line corresponds to the laser puzzle you solve during this section of the game.

This is ? Block Island. You might have recognised the shape of the island I drew in the bottom right corner, but otherwise, solving the Picross gives you;

Which then becomes this, once you follow the second step:

Which refers to the ? Block made up of smaller ? Blocks (like a fractal!) This can only be found here.

Everyone got this one right.

First clue is that the first letter in each line of the poem spells out SNIF CITY. Okay, there's the location!

Next up is each image. If you line them all up, connecting the dots, you get:

1624722621517.png

Thanks Ninelevendo for the helpful chart. I actually misplaced the original image so this made writing the answers a lot easier.

Anyway, once you put it all together, you see that the first line is 'REAL', meaning that the See Saw in Snif City is where you want to be.
This is my favourite one.

Ok, so there's four strange puzzles and a 'code'. Let's dig in.

The first puzzle is a screenshot of a forum thread. Going to this thread gives you this post, which says https://www.
The second puzzle tells you what to do. If you tilt your screen back, the image becomes much clearer: youtube.com/watch?v=
The third puzzle is... literally a jigsaw puzzle. The fractal pattern doesn't mean anything, it's just there to make it visually interesting and to make it easier to put the pieces together. Imagine if the background was fully blank! Anyway it says TSzQg once you beat it.
The fourth puzzle is a quiz. I'm not going through all of it. It churns out PloYM4 once you're done.

Alright, piece that all together... okay, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSzQgPloYM4! That's a youtube video, specifically a piano that you can play using the numbers on your keyboard. Once you play 4 5 4 3468, it makes a little tune. This tune is the main theme for Peach's Castle, which you access at the start of the game. Done!

BONUS HINTS: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY

Where might I find the garb of one Mr. Flintstone?
1624724015856.png

Credit to LTQ for the image.

It's a simple question with a simple answer. Mr. Flintstone wears caveman clothes, which you find in the shop that sells caveman clothes.
"Now, for your driving practical test, we will start at the entrance to the Slot Machine building. Please face East.

Take the second right.

Great! Now, take the first left.

Follow this road, whatever twists and turns it may throw at you. Turn right at the end of the road.

Awesome work. Now, keep on going. I'd like you to head left at the Y junction.

Keep left, and stop at the first four-way junction you see.

Park your vehicle on the dark grey patch! It's got some right angles, you'll know when you see it."
1624724740359.png

Credit to Kirbyo for the image.

Following the directions gives you this:
1624724768555.png

Actually parking the vehicle on the grey patch is optional, as long as the patch is in frame it's fine.
1624724371722.png

The image is the number 61 in front of a blue Power Moon. You can see the eyes in the background. You only get blue moons in the Wooded Kingdom, and this is the location of the 61st one.
The thread?

But x must be a positive number, of course.

The post?

Take the year the first Hint Hunt was launched. Then, append a certain number. This number must be the square root of the product of 149 and 596. This is all you need to know.

Now please, I ask of you. Can you reduce this content into simple text? Yes? No? It matters not. Or does it? I only seek the answer to the question found uponce pressing the third Spoiler in this sequence. Please, I beg you. I need this riddle solved, or I may face death.
1624724110486.png

Solving the quadratic equation gives x = 39915.

The square root of the product of 149 and 596 is 298. Appending 298 to 2018, the year the first event happened, gives 2018298.

Clicking on the third spoiler gives you:
1624724245234.png

Which might take a while to solve, but the answer to that crossword (and corresponding picture solution) is in the spoiler below that, since that post was just a list of answers to the first set of puzzles. Solving the crossword and ordering the pink letters spells TRICERATOPS, which only appears as that skull in the Cascade Kingdom.

Aaand here's the current rankings!
  1. Kirbyo
  2. Toadgamer
  3. Ninelevendo and Lakituthequick
  4. Fawfulthegreat64
  5. Hooded Pitohui
  6. Goombuigi

MAIN RANKING
  1. Ninelevendo
  2. Toadgamer and Fawfulthegreat64
  3. Hooded Pitohui
  4. Lakituthequick
  5. Kirbyo
  6. Goombuigi
BONUS RANKING
  1. Kirbyo
  2. Lakituthequick
  3. Toadgamer
  4. Goombuigi, Lakituthequick, Ninelevendo, Hooded Pitohui

And finally, feedback! As I said before, let me know what more you want out of this, and I'll see if I can accommodate! Hint making is pretty creative and anything could reasonably be made into a hint. Thank you all, and Round 2 starts on July 10th!

Last edited:

Kirbyo

Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Kirbyo
Well, I only got 3 of the main hints right, and I'm in first? I'm confused, although I had a creeping suspicion about bonus hint 4 being the triceratops, but I didn't think you'd do the same place twice. Also, you lied about the whole images are not connected to text thing, it literally tells you what line of text is correct! And also, lol I thought the mountian was the place with the lighthouse in chapter one, not an island from the great sea, lol. Also, for bonus hint 3, those look more like footprints than eyes, and thats what led me astray. Good job! (btw the piano clue didn't sound familiar until I played it exactly like the main song, but even then only just)

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Also, you lied about the whole images are not connected to text thing, it literally tells you what line of text is correct!
Ah ah, I said the images don't directly correspond to the text - meaning that each image refers to a different line to the one that links to it.

As an aside, you came out on top because you had a go at nearly all of the questions, and got quite a lot of bonus points just for making some progress, even if you didn't get them fully correct.
(edit: I realised I'm supposed to rank points separately, so you only came out on top for the Odyssey Hints.)

So to the others; have a go even if you're not sure, because you can score points even if your final answer is wrong!

Last edited:

Count Waluigi

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Damn, my lack of music knowledge (specifically the timing of the notes) really did me in on hint 6 lol. Either that or I was thinking too hard about what location in TOK had music that vaguely fit the sequence of notes. Peach's Castle never even crossed my mind, my answer of Heart Island was probably a huge reach in retrospect.

And yeah Hint 5 was way simpler than I made it out to be. I have no idea how I didn't pick up on Snif City being spelled out, though to be fair I didn't really think much on the follow-up hint, I'd given up at that point. Also, I got the right answer on hint 3 without even realizing there was a second step. I solved the picross, saw it was a ?, and decided it was ? Island based on the picture of an island and no other location in TOK coming to mind that was specifically ? Block themed. The part where you fill the other squares with the ? blocks I didn't even think to do but that's so cool.

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Hey sleuths! Quick update on Round 2. This last week or so I've been dealing with a Covid infection, which has stopped me from being able to put together enough good quality Hints for this round. To that end, it'll be worth waiting another week, at least, for the next round to begin.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm sure you guys understand. Look forward to the next batch!