Super Mario Hint Hunt (INTERMISSION)

Which game do you want to hunt hints in?

• Mario Odyssey

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Bowser's Fury

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other (let me know in the thread and I'll put it in the poll)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Luigi's Mansion

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3D World Hub

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Kirby Star Allies

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
1621200999502.png

Hint Hunt

Featuring - Paper Mario: The Origami King
Guest Starring - Super Mario Odyssey
Banned - Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Hello again, hunters. If you played 2018's Super Mario Odyssey Hint Hunt, you're probably aware of the 13 Hint Arts placed in various forum posts. These puzzles provide you with some sort of clue towards a location to find, ready for you to take a picture of and then send to me (in exchange for a big smile).

Now, surely you want EVEN more of these peculiar puzzles. "13? Is that it?" you say, fondly looking back at memories of the artful ARGs. "I need to experience more of these disorienting directions! And ones of a relatively similar difficulty, too!"

Well, you're in luck (maybe). I'm remixing the event and updating it to fit our latest action-adventure RPG, because everyone loves riddles!

What is a Hint?
A Hint is a puzzle, of which the answer is a specific location within Paper Mario: The Origami King. To complete a Hint, you must first solve the puzzle (which can take some time), travel to the location you think the Hint points towards, and then take a picture of that location! The content of the Hint can be a picture, a written note, or a strange mix of a bunch of different mediums. Quizzes, Picrosses, Videos, and such. There's a lot of variety to cater to different mindsets and sleuthing abilities.

The Rules
*On June 12th, I will publish 6 Hints here in this thread, notifying the players who have signed up.. They would vary in complexity, from clues akin to normal Hint Arts, to puzzles with multiple steps. This ensures that players can choose how much they want to challenge themselves, while still offering simpler clues for those who want to go for easier points.
*One week in (June 19th), I will add extra clues to every Hint, giving you an extra push in the right direction. The extra clues will depend on how well the players have been doing on that Hint.
*In total, the players will have two weeks to interpret the clues/puzzles, find the location, and take a snapshot of it to send to me as their answer. So, they'll have until June 26th to send everything in.
*Once the deadline hits, I will mark the answers and award correct answers with points after this deadline. 3 points for an exact answer within the first week, 2 points for getting the right answer after the bonus clues have gone out, and 1 point for making some progress but not getting the specific answer I'm looking for. (If you're not sure about an answer but want to send something in anyway, tell me your thought process for the solution you've arrived at. It may help your case for scraping some extra points.)
*The players will have an intermission of sorts to think about what they've done, and consider the consequences of their actions. I will distribute the other 6 puzzles on July 10th, and the players will have another 2 weeks to solve them. Same format as last time, and the deadline is July 24th. Again, I'll mark the answers shortly after that and award correct answers with points.
*Players will be ranked by how many points they scored, and smiles will be given out accordingly.
*There may be Hints based on other games. Points earned for these hints are scored separately, and will not go towards your final score. Think of it as a bonus round.

How to submit answers
You have a few options for doing this. I'll accept any clear image of the answer you have in mind. So, you can take a screenshot of the answer and upload that to the internet, to copy and send to me here.

Or, you could just use a phone or other camera to take a picture of your Switch, so long as it's easy to see the game screen. This may be easier if you have no options for transferring screenshots to this forum.

Or! You could take a screenshot on your Switch. If you have an SD card inside, you can save the image to that card, and then put the card in your computer or phone to upload here. You have quite a few options for transferring images of the game to this forum!

All things considered, PRIVATELY MESSAGE ME the answers you have (via this forum, or Discord, whatever is easiest), whatever the format! If I catch you publicly sharing answers, I will feel really sad. And then you'll feel sad. This should be avoided at all costs!

There may be more puzzles than 6 per round! I'm saving some bonus puzzles as tiebreakers, in case I need to break a tie between two or more exceptionally efficient hint hunters.

Current Hints

ROUND 1: THE ORIGAMI KING

BONUS CLUE: It's just the location I'm looking for, not a specific event. Don't worry if you can't get the other characters to match up with the hint.

:buzzy: - :buzzy: - :buzzy:
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ |

|

BONUS CLUE: Same as the bonus clue for Hint 1.

BONUS CLUE: I want a SPECIFIC location. Think fractal.

BONUS CLUE: People had a lot of trouble with the Shovel Knight themed question last time, but that's not the case here. I'll have to make it harder next time!

(There's no bonus clue.)

???? ???? ???? ????

THE CODE THE CODE THE CODE

BONUS CLUE: You should almost certainly be able to recognise the final clue given once you solve all of these ones. It's quite famous!

BONUS HINTS: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY

Where might I find the garb of one Mr. Flintstone?

BONUS CLUE: It's a genuine question.

"Now, for your driving practical test, we will start at the entrance to the Slot Machine building. Please face East.

Take the second right.

Great! Now, take the first left.

Follow this road, whatever twists and turns it may throw at you. Turn right at the end of the road.

Awesome work. Now, keep on going. I'd like you to head left at the Y junction.

Keep left, and stop at the first four-way junction you see.

Park your vehicle on the dark grey patch! It's got some right angles, you'll know when you see it."

BONUS CLUE: Not much else I can say. You'll know if you're right if the dark grey patch matches the description.

BONUS CLUE:
A lot of you have figured out what the number means, but it's not just that. Colour is important!

The thread?

But x must be a positive number, of course.

The post?

Take the year the first Hint Hunt was launched. Then, append a certain number. This number must be the square root of the product of 149 and 596. This is all you need to know.

Now please, I ask of you. Can you reduce this content into simple text? Yes? No? It matters not. Or does it? I only seek the answer to the question found uponce pressing the third Spoiler in this sequence. Please, I beg you. I need this riddle solved, or I may face death.

BONUS CLUE: Formatting for forum URLS:

There's a couple of red herrings in this one. Strike through the riddle!

Finally, I'm not deducting points for using a calculator or online tool to solve these numbers. Maths isn't for everyone, after all.

If you sign up, you will receive notifications on new hints, clues and other game announcements! However, signing up beforehand is not required to play. If you see a Hint and want to solve it, go ahead! Anyone who sends me an answer will be counted in as a player. That being said - please post in bold if you do want to formally sign up to this.
  1. Hooded Pitohui (Sleuth name: Noirus Flambére)
  2. Lakituthequick (Sleuth name: Cumulogumshoe)
  3. Kirbyo (Sleuth name: Pippersquawk)
  4. Goombuigi (Sleuth name: Cloverson Smith)
  5. Toadgamer (Sleuth name: Johnson Squared)
  6. FawfulTheGreat64 (Sleuth name: Gravelygrime 2)
  7. Ninelevendo (Sleuth name: Gourdly Gravle)

Last edited:

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
i could probably just do it for mario odyssey again if more people want that lol

i'll put it to a poll

Count Waluigi

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I'd be down to fiddle around in 3DW+BF or Odyssey. As a possible suggestion, what about Paper Mario: The Origami King? It's new and on a current system so it'd be more likely to get participants than say an older game in the series, and TOK has bigger areas with lots of places to go and potential for hints.

Pronouns
He/him
if Bowser’s Fury wins I will actually participate by taking screenshots of YouTube videos because I can’t be bothered to actually buy the game.

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
nah theres options for breath of the wild and kirby star allies

anything that's kind of open-world and easy to explore

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
okay gang, one thing is for certain

it's not gonna be bowser's fury lol, either mario odyssey again or Origami King. personally i'd rather do mario odyssey since TOK is massive and i havent actually played the game. if i were to do TOK, i would likely group hints into separate worlds so you dont have to worry about which chunk of the map you're meant to be searching in

if it ends up being mario odyssey again then that would also be great, i'd be doing mostly the same format as last time, but probably with more hints in general because i have a lot of leftover ideas (+ new ones)

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Hey, I'm thinking of hosting something to, do you have any tips I should know?
I'd browse through old awards boards (you can find them sorted by year at the bottom of the main page) and see how people have organised hosting in the past. Lots of inspiration to be found in there

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Alright, given that there's been a tie between Mario Odyssey and Origami King, I'm deciding to whittle down the poll to just choose between those two.

Except, I can't remove options for the poll or reset votes, so this post is the poll now!

React to this post with 🤔 Thinking if you want the game to be Super Mario Odyssey.

React to this post with
😮 Wow if you want the game to be Paper Mario: The Origami King.

There can only be one winner. Once the game is decided, I'll formally open up the tourney and sign-ups.

Last edited:

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I closed the poll , then put together the sign-up post and start working on Hints. Right now, Origami King is leading by 2 votes!

Last edited:

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
me running from the paper mario the origami king victory
tenor.gif

it is confirmed: there will be hints on Paper Mario; The Origami King

i will ALSO do a bonus set of hints for other games (including mario odyssey) as a treat

sign ups will open likely tonight; once i rework the opening post to reflect the... ongoing changes

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
mfw tonight

Sign ups are open! If you want to be notified of hints dropping and other announcements, throw in a bold post in this thread. I've updated the thread too, so give that a quick once-over just in case I ended up ruining something.

(Just to note: you're allowed to send in answers even if you don't sign up. Anyone on the forum is allowed to play this game, but signing up means you get notifications so you can solve stuff as speedily as possible.)

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
SUPER MARIO

except I don't have the title Paper Mario: The Origami King for the Nintendo Switch family of consoles

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I should really complete this game
I don't have the title Paper Mario: The Origami King
not to worry my chaps, i dont have the game either (and thus have not completed it). familiarity with the game itself is not a requirement, and i will be taking all my screenshots from one youtube video of the full game, which i will share with you if you don't have the game but want to play along