Suggestion Box

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Here's where to suggest any ideas for awards, nominees, tournaments, etc. Basically if you have an idea and it has anything to do with the awards ceremony or related processes, feel free to post it and we'll have a look at it and consider it and all that good stuff :bowser:

Caspar von Bergliez

Right makes might, right?
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ninja Squid
how about an award for the sections that got the most SOTM votes? or is there something for that alredy?
This is something that is actually already covered by the Peach Awards from The 'Shroom's End-of-the-Year Awards. You can see last year's awards here. 🙂

kanaya

from deltarune
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
was reading through the meetings logs and wanna propose splitting up the Paper Mario nominee for M8 fav art style

the aesthetic is distinctly different between the first three games (PM, TTYD, SPM) and the last few games (SS, CS, OK and Paper Jam), with SS being a sort of bridge between the two

the 'classic' artstyle is more about 2d texturework and more abstract setpieces, whereas the 'modern' artstyle is fully dedicated to the papercraft aesthetic

food for thought

64-Bit Nintendo Machine

64 Bits of Power!
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
How about a Mario Kart 8 Battle Royale? Or a Mario Party board game?

Goombgooigi

The Gooigi-fied Goomba
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Goombuigi
I'm thinking about hosting either a Super Mario Maker 2 VS tournament, or Art Contest (provided that neither Anton nor anyone else has plans to host it this year). I haven't decided on which to host yet, but I don't want to do both because I might get overloaded if I do.

Aru Honshou

Ace Class Vice President
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Reverse Input
this is half-question and half-suggestion, but in years past there's usually been a stickied topic specific to tournaments where people could post general ideas to gauge a bit of interest and put them out there before making actual threads for them. this year there isn't one, so i was wondering if that was for a specific reason, like tournaments being less "formal" since the removal of the token system or just preferring people to make separate threads straight away, or just something that happened to be overlooked?
i feel like having a thread explaining awards tournaments and some general guidelines to explain how the process works (e.g. what working with the awards committee looks like, tips about good practice as a host, just simple introductory information) might be helpful as a starting point for some of our newer users who are just being introduced to awards and haven't been around long enough to immediately know how everything "works", so to speak. i realise there is the blurb near the bottom of the main anniversary wiki page, but having the info in more than one place might be helpful for people who don't immediately know to look over there

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Left out mostly because of what you had said, yeah, in addition to how people have started taking it upon themselves to form them either in General Discussion or a solo thread; but if it is desired I can begin building one. I don't think I have written a substantial "how 2 tournament" topic before, and if I have it has been a WHILE, so I will absolutely take any input or further suggestions in the meantime. I'll put the creation of it in my notes and try to have it done within a week.

I'm thinking about hosting either a Super Mario Maker 2 VS tournament, or Art Contest (provided that neither Anton nor anyone else has plans to host it this year). I haven't decided on which to host yet, but I don't want to do both because I might get overloaded if I do.
I currently have no plans to host one.

Last edited:

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
According to information in here, Super Mario Run will need to be removed from F6 Worst Spin-Off. This decision cannot be executed currently as the poll is already up and running, but will be effective next year.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Among other things, what did everyone think about the chat party on discord? Content not so much, as the content of conversation can also happen on irc, but what about accessibility, audience, ability, and that kinda stuff? Was it a positive change? Negative? Neutral?

Skeleton in the hit short

Spooking and memeing since 1929
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Toadgamer
I feel like the discord live chat really helped lighten up the mood since concersations on discord are admittedly way faster than those on the boards. Plus the threads were made more for the presentations themselves rather than also ppls feedback. I like having both frankly, and thats how it should be from now on

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
for context, there has ALWAYS been a live chat, this is just the first year it happened on discord

i don't think it really affected our audience that much tbh? we got a few people i don't think we would have gotten otherwise, but it was mostly the crowd i expected to get. ability it was... basically the same as irc! though pinning the best memes was fun (P)

my view is that i think discord definitely worked as a medium and i recommend staying with it, but i do think the specific location created some initial discouragement and i saw a few other signs of it that might have been avoided/mitigated if not for the specific server. i'm biased since it was my idea but i like the idea of maintaining the chat party's status as a discord thing but creating a specific awards server, especially since that could also be used for other awards things

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
it could also be used to store docs and such perhaps
I do agree with this notion, but also will acknowledge that I trust the forum more for solid storage, as information is more recoverable and less likely to be deleted, whether by an errant hand, force of nature, or discord staff thinking it would be a fun april fool's prank. Much like using discord as an image host, it would be good for quick and easy use, but certainly not the singular option.

Camwoodstock

where's the her/him pronouns help i'm genderfluid
MarioWiki
Camwoodstock
for context, there has ALWAYS been a live chat, this is just the first year it happened on discord

i don't think it really affected our audience that much tbh? we got a few people i don't think we would have gotten otherwise, but it was mostly the crowd i expected to get. ability it was... basically the same as irc! though pinning the best memes was fun (P)

my view is that i think discord definitely worked as a medium and i recommend staying with it, but i do think the specific location created some initial discouragement and i saw a few other signs of it that might have been avoided/mitigated if not for the specific server. i'm biased since it was my idea but i like the idea of maintaining the chat party's status as a discord thing but creating a specific awards server, especially since that could also be used for other awards things
I am very glad we were able to pin the memes, and like I think that's one thing that Discord especially has over the forums--you COULD technically archive the best memes for people to see on a forum, but it's much more rudimentary.