Sheep Mafia (2021 game) - Lounge (Replacements welcome!)

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
??? "Yes sir, yes sir, quarterly profits are up from last year. Yes sir, that's right. Being forced out of the valley was a setback. After we lost that location, we lost nearly eighty percent of our contracts with the farmers in the region. It had taken years of expansion and negotiation to secure contracts at the prices we needed." *Sigh* "Seeds, milk, vegetables, cheese, wool, mutton, steak... we haven't found a new supplier yet who will sell those goods to us at the prices we need to be able to offer our customers and family the affordable prices we pledge to offer."

??? "What's that? You've secured a new supply of mutton and wool, wholly owned by us? I'm to oversee their care and the distribution of their products to the store?"

Morris_Happy.png
"With that being the case, you can rest assured that I will ensure our new sheep are cared for by responsible handlers and their products are distributed to our stores promptly by our transport flee-"

Morris_Surprised.png
"-What?! The farmer vacated the property upon signing the contract? The sheep are roaming the fields unsupervised? Has the staff not been dispatched?"

Morris_Annoyed.png
"Oh... I am to... Yes, yes sir, I see. For three to four weeks? Yes... sir. I understand completely, sir. I have received my role, and as an employee of the Joja Corporation, I shall see to it that not a single one of our new assets is harmed."

"You are the sheep I'll be guarding? In that case, we should acquaint ourselves early. Once we're working, there will be little time for idle chit-chat."

"Hello, new members of the Joja Corporation family! My name is Morris, and, on orders from my superior and for the benefit of our just and kind company, I will be supervising you in the following weeks. Now, rest assured that you are now considered valued members of our family, and you will be treated with the utmost care and respect. Our employees - and our livestock - are our greatest assets. So long as we all work diligently, we should have no trouble repelling those vile wolves threatening us. I pledge, on the reputation of the Joja Corporation, that I will not let a single member of our family suffer even a single injury at the fangs of these vile wolves!"

"All of that established, allow me once again to welcome you to the Joja Corporation family. Now, shall we get to work?"

Rowlf the Dog

Ace Pianist
Hello players! Thanks to everyone who has confirmed so far! This is an update post to notify everyone of the addition of a new rule:

• Please try to keep the majority of game-related chat inside official channels i.e. the Game Thread. It's ok to chat about it informally outside the thread, but there should not be any major sharing of information (e.g. cop sharing checks) in channels not created by the host, like private player-made Conversations/PM groups.

Now, those who are long-time mafia veterans will likely realise that this rule is contrary to the way that most games were played back in the old days, so allow me to give a brief explanation behind why this rule is being implemented.

This game has primarily been balanced around the classic Mafia idea of the informed minority (mafia or wolves) vs the uninformed majority (innocents or sheep). One of the biggest perks the mafia has is the ability to know each others identities when all the other innocents know nothing. However, in the past, there's been times where innocents, usually led by a cop, have managed to clear each other through role use, and have then gone on to create their own little private Innocent group who would swap information and coordinate with each other with minimal risk of it being seen by the mafia. While this is great for the innocents, it can also majorly throw off the balance, to the point where several games began to place stricter rules on roleclaiming down in order to prevent issues like that. It can also make games a lot more complicated and difficult to keep track of.

As you're all aware, this game has a fairly simple setup, with only a few power roles and the rest being mostly vanillas. You'll also notice that I have a fairly lenient roleclaim rule. This is because I don't really anticipate there being much private conversation in the first place, since the lack of roles means there isn't much information being given out to share anyway. However, just in the interest of keeping things official and making sure it doesn't become an issue later on, I'm formalising the rule as a small precaution. This should ensure that the balancing works as intended and will keep player's attention focused in one place. Thanks for your understanding! If you have any further questions about the rule, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Koops

Epic

In my many years on duty... I have always... always followed only... and only... what I think is the right choice... People tell me all the time... they want to find the truth... and set things right... but there's something you learn when you're on the force... for such... a long time...

The truth... isn't sweet.

I've been assigned as this case's lead detective... Name's Badd. Tyrell Badd... Do with that info... what you will.

Shy Guy on Wheels

i hate video games.
Oy, mate, what's goin' on 'ere?

And what's the funny look for?

Ergh, you're probably confusing me for that American fella aren't ya? Nah mate, I'm the real Funky Kong, 100% British Produce right here. That other guy? He's just an imitation of how cool I am.

But to avoid confusion, you can do what my mates do, and call me Bri'ish Funky Kong. I hope we can work together to, not only take back control, but also build a better future for this sheep pasture.

Von Kaiser

KAMPFSTIEFEL!!
I love how it's tagged "baaaaaaaaaa"

Also how frequent are these mafia games? I haven't really paid attention to them until now, but now I'm kind of interested. (Also, sorry if this shouldn't go here.)

Rowlf the Dog

Ace Pianist
There's no set schedule these days, especially since we've only just started running them again this year, but depending how this next game goes, I would wager there'll be one every two to three months on average, except during times where there's a Killing Game running, since those generally have a lot of overlap in terms of players. This game will be running for a couple of months, and the Awards Killing Game will then probably occupy most of the summer, so next mafia game might be a few months away. Nothing's set in stone right now, but it'd be September at the earliest, if I had to guess.

Insane Shmathers

I'm not InsaneBlathers, what are you talking about
There's no set schedule these days, especially since we've only just started running them again this year, but depending how this next game goes, I would wager there'll be one every two to three months on average, except during times where there's a Killing Game running, since those generally have a lot of overlap in terms of players. This game will be running for a couple of months, and the Awards Killing Game will then probably occupy most of the summer, so next mafia game might be a few months away. Nothing's set in stone right now, but it'd be September at the earliest, if I had to guess.
I mean, I don't know how late Killing Games go, but I'm thinking of doing the next one and (if Killing Games don't overlap) could do it in August...

Rowlf the Dog

Ace Pianist
clarification: i said "a couple of months" as a ballpark estimate but now that ive actually thought about it, it will probably be closer to 1 month than 2, although naturally it's hard to pinpoint exactly how long any mafia game will last since you have to consider no lynches, doctors, early victories, etc

I mean, I don't know how late Killing Games go, but I'm thinking of doing the next one and (if Killing Games don't overlap) could do it in August...
Awards Killing Games typically run from halfway through June to halfway through August, although delays have sometimes made them run on a bit longer. They're also very involved games to be invested in for such a long time (much more involved than mafia), so usually people need a few weeks to have a good break, hence why i said September at the earliest

Glitz Yoshi

I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.
My thoughts exactly. That is why I haven’t made anything on the boards. But I have done all of the majority of the work for this game I speak of that I can do. That is, all the role cards are done and the rules have mostly been determined. But I may go and look at them again due to Revin’s new rule which I saw in my first mafia party game. That is, I was contacted by the cop and knew of his identity while the others did not. Also, I could have even used that cop. Luigi 64DD also did this before actually commenting in that thread.
So, I need to look into that new rule at some time.

Insane Shmathers

I'm not InsaneBlathers, what are you talking about
Awards Killing Games typically run from halfway through June to halfway through August, although delays have sometimes made them run on a bit longer. They're also very involved games to be invested in for such a long time (much more involved than mafia), so usually people need a few weeks to have a good break, hence why i said September at the earliest
Well yeah then, I just didn't know how long KG went. I probably shouldn't start a mafia game in August then, especially if I'm participating in Killing Games.

Rowlf the Dog

Ace Pianist
Cool. I'll see about the next one, then.

It says replacements welcome, so I assume if someone drops out I can join in their place?
yes, thats correct. signups for players are closed but signups for replacements remain open in the event that i need to swap someone out, which is usually for one of the reasons WT outlined above. its not a guarantee that you'll get to play, but if you're interested then it doesnt hurt to sign up as replacement and get yourself added to the backup list! i'll let you know if any spots open over the course of the game 👍

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Adding RP to NS Rogueport Mafia game was an experiment, but I'm glad people went through with it and had fun with it. I think there's definitely the room for it to go overboard in a Mafia game and people have to be willing and ready to pull back when it becomes necessary, but it does add a lot of flavour and even an extra layer - albeit a thin one - to the game.