'Shroomfest Debate (Round 4) - WARM BEVERAGES vs COLD BEVERAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbyo

pink galoomba with arms and headphones
Please keep the discussion relevant to the debate in this thread. There's other venues for discussions of things like cheese and who likes it and who doesn't, such as the ask board or off-subject discussion or Mindless Junk. Thank you!
Ok. Did you know that drinking too much coffie can lead to a caffene overdose? You won't get that from a cold drink! Also, grape juice is amazing, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
It's the last week, and uh, last day, of our campaign! I am guessing nobody expects what I am about to answer for this week's question…

Coffee!

…Yeah okay, you totally expected it. But let it not distract you! I also quite like a good cup of tea, especially in the evening, and hot chocolate on occasion. I regularly drink a Cup-a-Soup at lunch as well!

Now, I just want to address a few cold ends…

One of our debate participants, Toadettefan, has made a nice overview of drinks of all temperatures in Nintendo games. What most stood out to me, is the fact that the focus was mostly outside of Mario games, with the only things from our home series mentioned being cold beverages.

I feel the need to point towards a great entry in our favourite series: Paper Mario: The Origami King. You may have already recognised the image just above this paragraph. Yup, this is a secret minion cafe somewhere within the game! (I will not spoil where exactly.) Here, you can order un café, which refills your HP and starts a little chit-chat with the currently present customers and tender.
For a little less hidden, back in the very hub of Toad Town, there is a stand where you can order Rabbit Espresso or Turtle Tea. The effect on you is exactly what you expect from their names, they either make you faster or slower.
Another place of interest is the Tranquil Pipes Teahouse, found within Shogun Studios. This place is sure to calm your nerves, playing a calm rendition of Maple Treeway's music.
Lastly, a very important character you'll meet on your quest has very important information about coffee: he drinks it with creamer and three sugars! I… can't say I'm particularly impressed by his specific taste, but he drinks coffee, pleasurably!

Did you know that drinking too much coffie can lead to a caffene overdose? You won't get that from a cold drink!
Ah, you seem to forget that cold drinks have this same issue as well. Have you seen energy drinks? The flying bovine ones for example? Or the green M? That stuff is not only gross, but filled with caffeine, and people drink it by litres a day! That can't be healthy.
On the other hand, coffee is still available in decaffeinated form as well, so should you want to drink a cup of joe without risking getting too much caffeine, here you go!

In fact, coffee has health benefits of its own. Statistics have it that it reduces the chance of diabetes with 11%. Liver cancer has its risk reduced by 40%, as well as a reduction of other liver issues.
It might also help against Parkinson's, depression, and heart failure.

Tea, likewise, has a couple of health benefits to it. It boosts your immune system, protects against inflammation, and possible cancer and heart diseases. Of course, different brews of teas may have different benefits because of the different tea leaves used. Herbal teas are an example of tea without caffeine, to hook into your earlier concern of an overdose, with an additional calming effect as a result. I recommend reading this article in full.

And a last point, did you know that milk is way tastier warm? It's great before sleeping too!
Time to tip the scales to the warm side once more, don't you think?

(Ace Attorney bubble font by BMatSantos on DeviantArt)

Roserade

The Fool
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
phoenix-document(b) (1).gif
Here I am, forum goers, for my final post of 'Shroomfest! Unfortunately, I've been quite crammed on time for the past week because I've been on vacation for my spring break, so this argument will be brief. But I'd still like to take this opportunity and introduce you all to one of my favorite cold beverages:

shamrock shakes.jpg

The McDonald's Shamrock Shake

I must admit that I am quite the fan of mint flavors. Anything from spearmint to peppermint is a taste for me, and with my love of cold beverages already demonstrated, is it any surprise that one of my favorite drinks is a mint milkshake? The Shamrock Shakes are a seasonal event that comes around every March at McDonald's, and I'd genuinely consider it one of the best parts of the month. Unlike LTQ with his final argument, I don't have health benefits to point towards for drinking these things (in fact, it's probably far easier to argue why these things aren't good for you). But at the end of the day, what decides one of my favorite drinks is flavor, and the Shamrock Shakes are a perfect minty flavor, topped with plenty of delicious whipped cream. The shake is made only better by their scarcity throughout the year, which makes every sip feel like a special treat when you finally get your hands on one. This post isn't sponsored by McDonald's, but I absolutely recommend you pick one up next March.

phoenix-confident(b) (1).gif
With how much activity this 'Shroomfest has seen, it's evident to me that everybody is passionate about their arguments. Make sure to channel that passion to get your final thoughts and endorsements in the thread, because tonight is the final night of 'Shroomfest! Every post counts, and you can be the user that brings your team to victory!

But for now, Your Honor, the leader of Team Cold Beverages rests his arguments.

Kirbyo

Lastly, a very important character you'll meet on your quest has very important information about coffee: he drinks it with creamer and three sugars! I… can't say I'm particularly impressed by his specific taste, but he drinks coffee, pleasurably!

Ah, you seem to forget that cold drinks have this same issue as well. Have you seen energy drinks? The flying bovine ones for example? Or the green M? That stuff is not only gross, but filled with caffeine, and people drink it by litres a day! That can't be healthy.
On the other hand, coffee is still available in decaffeinated form as well, so should you want to drink a cup of joe without risking getting too much caffeine, here you go!
You seem to be forgeting that while the most popular of hot drinks are most popular caffinated, the most poopular cold drinks don't! For example... soda! And yes, coke does have caffene, but other sodas don't! Besides, soda has barley any caffene, only 39 milligrams!
(also nice reference to TOK)

Chair

yo that's a sick chair tho
It's the last week, and uh, last day, of our campaign! I am guessing nobody expects what I am about to answer for this week's question…

Coffee!

…Yeah okay, you totally expected it. But let it not distract you! I also quite like a good cup of tea, especially in the evening, and hot chocolate on occasion. I regularly drink a Cup-a-Soup at lunch as well!

Now, I just want to address a few cold ends…

One of our debate participants, Toadettefan, has made a nice overview of drinks of all temperatures in Nintendo games. What most stood out to me, is the fact that the focus was mostly outside of Mario games, with the only things from our home series mentioned being cold beverages.

I feel the need to point towards a great entry in our favourite series: Paper Mario: The Origami King. You may have already recognised the image just above this paragraph. Yup, this is a secret minion cafe somewhere within the game! (I will not spoil where exactly.) Here, you can order un café, which refills your HP and starts a little chit-chat with the currently present customers and tender.
For a little less hidden, back in the very hub of Toad Town, there is a stand where you can order Rabbit Espresso or Turtle Tea. The effect on you is exactly what you expect from their names, they either make you faster or slower.
Another place of interest is the Tranquil Pipes Teahouse, found within Shogun Studios. This place is sure to calm your nerves, playing a calm rendition of Maple Treeway's music.

tbh, those hot drinks almost never look as good as they seem, they most oftently burn your tongue and unsatisfy you because of the sweat that it may cause and the unpleasing end where you try to chug it all because it's not hot anymore.

And if you're implying that the coffee in origami king would be really appetizing, well then let me bring you to the dark side my friend.
You see, no coffee ever increases your speed or health in real life, so this means that the coffee must have some sort of addition. In any mario game, we do not include that mario's favorites wouldn't be anything other than spaghetti and mushrooms, which couldn't be added to the coffee, and even then if it was added it would probably taste awful.

Now let's see this in another point of view: In mario games, some think that mushrooms would be pretty healthy and would increase your strength at a certain time. But the reality is, mushrooms are poisonous and cause painful damages such as nausea, vomiting and drowsiness, and they might as well lead to production of ibotenic acid. They could still strengthen your body, but it would include all of this previous painful list. So Nintendo saw that mushroom and decided to take its advantages and make it look good so that it seems like when mario eats it, he looks happy and healthy, but he would have to suffer if he did it in real life.

The reason behind this example is to reveal what might be added to those cups of coffee, and that would be, you heard me right, DRUGS. Think about it: if I am correct, then the Rabbit Espresso Should have been added with cocaine (boosts your energy and alertness) and the turtle tea could be any kind of depressant. Also, if I'm not wrong, the Tranquil pipes treahouse could be giving you tranquilizers.

Last edited:

Matlock

That's what I call hamburgers
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
wait
wait
wait a goddamn minute
I think we're all forgetting something
that's right boys we've all forgotten about
Brewster
the greatest animal crossing character
a man who books KK Slider and allows characters to drink their troubles away
and what does he sell
that's right
HOT COFFEE

Matlock

That's what I call hamburgers
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
wait
wait
wait a goddamn minute
I think we're all forgetting something
that's right boys we've all forgotten about
Brewster
the greatest animal crossing character
a man who books KK Slider and allows characters to drink their troubles away
and what does he sell
that's right
HOT COFFEE
wh17yzotbv2z.jpg
As an addendum to my previous post here's Resetti (the other best animal crossing character) having a nice hot coffee at Brewster's Cafe

Kirbyo

The reason behind this example is to reveal what might be added to those cups of coffee, and that would be, you heard me right, DRUGS. Think about it: if I am correct, then the Rabbit Espresso Should have been added with cocaine (boosts your energy and alertness) and the turtle tea could be any kind of depressant. Also, if I'm not wrong, the Tranquil pipes treahouse could be giving you tranquilizers.
But that's just a theory, A GAME THEORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Addam Origo

Lord of Aletta
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
JUDGE'S SESSION #3

I am back in business one last time before the end of this 'Shroomfest. Let us see who will win the last bonus points. For this last week, the court wanted to know your favorite beverages, after all, you have to know how to defend them if you want to prevent them from being banished.

Since I can't really rate the types of beverages you drink, I'll rate them by the way you present them. Some posts were quite creative, and I think we should at least mention it. Without further ado, allow me introduce the most creative posts of the last week of 'Shroomfest:

🍵🍵🍵🍵🍵

idk what else to add to the argument but i just realised i hardly ever drink anything actually cold like most of the time the lowest its gonna be is room temperature... but hot tea!!! hell yea bebey!!!
The Awesome Pigeon Sibs looks quite like Brewster from Animal Crossing (who is also a pigeon by the way), and where is Brewster working again? Right, in a café! So, I like how you did a little presentation involving tea.

In fact, coffee has health benefits of its own. Statistics have it that it reduces the chance of diabetes with 11%. Liver cancer has its risk reduced by 40%, as well as a reduction of other liver issues.
It might also help against Parkinson's, depression, and heart failure.

Tea, likewise, has a couple of health benefits to it. It boosts your immune system, protects against inflammation, and possible cancer and heart diseases. Of course, different brews of teas may have different benefits because of the different tea leaves used. Herbal teas are an example of tea without caffeine, to hook into your earlier concern of an overdose, with an additional calming effect as a result. I recommend reading this article in full.
LTQ is at it again with statistics, and I quite like the information that this bring to the debate. While caffeine might be a drug, we cannot denied some benefits they can give us. But, like everything else, it's knowing how to drink it in moderation. This reminds me that I should drink more herbal teas in the future, especially Chamomile due how bad my sleep schedule can be lol.

You know i realized something
why should i put all this effort making my own stuff
when i could just let the brilliant work of Jim Henson
show you all the light of hot drinks
That's right babey Wilkins and Wontkins the greatest advertisement in the history of advertisement
This was quite hilarious, and an interesting way to introduce coffee during this last week of 'Shroomfest! I like the one at 0:39. Yeah, seems like you are nowhere without coffee :P.

Honorary mentions:
I don't think NS is awake yet so how about one more drawing for Team Cold Beverages?
View attachment 11541
Now, I do wonder what Shmaluigi is doing during his free time lol Good work, WT!

Overall, I very much like the creativity behind the posts from Team Warm Beverages, so for this reason, I believe Warm Beverages deserves the bonus points of this last week. Congrats!

Winner of Week 3
TEAM WARM BEVERAGES
Congratulations, you earned +3 extra points in the EFFORT category!

With that said, this is where the Warm Beverages vs Cold Beverages 'Shroomfest Debate ends. I would like to thank each of you for your participation in this debate, and on behalf of the 'Shroom staff, we hope you enjoyed participating in this activity.

Now, when it comes to results and who officially wins the title of the superior time of day, be sure to read the section "'Shroomfest Highlights" in Issue 169 on saturday next week! This section will provide an overview of the best cases and posts from this debate for both teams, the results, the ending story, and a special write-up from both the judge and the winning team leader.

Now, if you'll allow me, I have an important tea party meeting with Dimitri.

See you next time!

'SHROOMFEST DEBATE ROUND 4 - END

Status
Not open for further replies.